Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if you could help me with an issue I've been having (and Google has no answers).
Basically, my friend told me that he has a nut allergy, so if he eats nuts he vomits violently.
I ate mochi (rice flour sweets from Japan) and was violently sick. The strange thing is I can eat rice, red bean paste etc fine, but when I ate red bean mochi I was vomiting for over two hours. This happened twice (I ate them and was sick a couple of hours later, didn't realise it was mochi, then two months later I ate them and two hours later was sick. Both days I ate different food apart from the mochi so it had to be them).
Is this an allergy/intolerance? If so, do you know what to?

Thank you.
 

·
exploring space
Joined
·
10,453 Posts
It could have been food poisoning. You could try again from a different store or something to make sure. Or just forget testing it and never eat mochi again, just to be safe.
What else is there in mochi that could have made you sick?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could have been food poisoning. You could try again from a different store or something to make sure. Or just forget testing it and never eat mochi again, just to be safe.
What else is there in mochi that could have made you sick?
I had it from two different places and my friends ate it and were fine, so I dont think it was food poisoning.
I had a look and the only allergens are sesame and peanuts, both of which I've had before and have been fine...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,947 Posts
Just because you have eaten something before and you didn't have an allergic reaction does not mean you can not develop a full blown allergy. And by allergy I do not mean something that simply makes you vomit. An allergy is an anaphylactic response in which the immune and endocrine systems are kind of haywire and when they detect the presence of a protein that their haywiredness tells them is foreign, the immune system tells the endocrine system to produce massive amounts of a hormone, histamine, which is a vasal dilator--it causes your blood vessels to swell and get bigger. This is a totally wrong and destructive response to something that is not poison and even if it were, the body produces so much histamine that your blood vessels get so large that your heart cannot pump blood through them so you die of shock... anaphylactic shock.

As someone who has suffered from tree nut allergy my whole life it does annoy me when people say they are allergic to something only because they don't like it or it made them puke once. This is totally different. I could be dead in ten minutes. So unless you feel your mucous membranes swelling in your mouth and throat when you eat mochi, I would respectfully suggest that you are not allergic to rice. If you did feel that awful sensation in your mouth and started to swell, it could be there was something else in it that you are allergic to or that you just became allergic to. The allergy is like a switch and once your body throws that switch, something you may have eaten before becomes deadly. And by the way, mochi that I have had in Japan is usually dipped in something like ground sesame seeds or nuts so I have to be very careful.

I would see an allergist if you are concerned rather than asking what this is on an internet forum. Allergies are life threatening conditions. I was taken to the emergency room last month after using my epipen and still I almost didn't make it. When I arrived the entire staff leapt into action without even asking me what was wrong. My face was round and lobster red and my pulse was rising as my blood pressure was falling rapidly. It's terrifying knowing what is happening when you first feel that stinging bitterness in your mouth. And it's nothing to take casually. Please get tested if you really think you are allergic to something.

Just to be clear. An intolerance can make you very sick. It's also serious but not imminently life threatening. An allergy as well can make you puke but it can also kill you in minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
Sounds like an intolerance. You can go to an allergist like others have said and the doctor will prick your back with different allergens to find what bothers you and to what degree.

Some of the ingredient lists online for mochi have milk which is a common allergen that causes swelling of the throat/anaphylaxis or vomiting depending on the degree of the allergy. You might want to check the packaging too because sometimes the labels say 'produced in factory that produces nuts and other allergens' meaning the product could be contaminated with allergens via shared belts or other equipment.

As for what to do? Don't eat it again.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
23,704 Posts
It might be a preservative, colouring or who knows what. It sounds like an allergy rather than an intolerance. Intolerance to food can take up to 72 hours to occur (and by then you don't even know what you've eaten until you've done some type of elimination method to figure it).

Here's a website that deals with different allergies and intolerances. Click on the different links to see what comes up and look to the symptoms to see if there are any others.

Pantry - Food Intolerance Network
 

·
Spam-I-am
Joined
·
14,076 Posts
i googled it and could not find a thing
o.p.-did you eat at a restaurant or make it yourself
if you ate at a restaurant then it could have been cross contamination
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top