Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In a recent thread on favorite foods I came to the realization that I share in some allergies to foods with other INFJ's.

Now, I didn't always have allergies - I'm the type that grew into them. I'm now allergic to: mold, leaves, hay, pollen of all types, bees, deer flies, perfumes that are used in soaps and deodorants, pineapple and shellfish - I hope there isn't more to come!

So how about you, what are you allergic to? Have you always been allergic to it?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes, I'm allergic to pollen, grass, mold, and other nature stuff. It's actually really annoying because when I was a kid I played outside all the time (no video games allowed and the Internet and cell phones as we know them didn't exist), yet became allergic to them when I turned into a teenager anyways. Go figure.

Now, I get shots for them. I prefer to think of them as steroid shots that give me superhuman powers.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I'm allergic to pollen, grass, mold, and other nature stuff. It's actually really annoying because when I was a kid I played outside all the time (no video games allowed and the Internet and cell phones as we know them didn't exist), yet became allergic to them when I turned into a teenager anyways. Go figure.

Now, I get shots for them. I prefer to think of them as steroid shots that give me superhuman powers.
I don't have to get shots for them yet! But if I do, I will certainly think of what you said! "I prefer to think of them as steroid shots that give me superhuman powers." Hah! Maybe I'll be able to fly!

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
NO.. I have a pretty robust immune system.

My skin is sensitive to brine, vinegar, ascorbic acid and industrial soaps.
Opiates make me abnormally ill, like projectile vomiting, ill.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Again, all of my allergies didn't develop until I was in high school...

I'm actually allergic to most metal, including gold. I can hold a fork but I can't wear a necklace for more than like 30mins without getting itchy, with a rash and everything. Which makes me a pretty cheap date, haha. If I do ever get engaged my ring will probably have to be made out of pearl or petrified wood or something. I'm also allergic to wool and most scratchy fabrics, but I think that could just be because they're scratchy, hahaha.

And then, general nature stuff/pollen and I'm actually allergic to my cats. But I can take allergy medicine for those which usually works very well. Unfortunately my allergy medicine doesn't help with my skin allergies.

·
Banned
41 Posts
I developed deathly allergies to all nuts and shellfish. Also, I'm allergic to some animals.

My dermatologist told me that I would never be able to have a pet dog with how serious my allergy to them was. I was completely upset about that because having a dog was one of my dreams. Two years later, my allergy to dogs went POOF, and now I have a new, furry little brother named Scout! SUCK IT DOCTOR CHANG

When I first found out about my allergies, my mom tried to get me to wear this epi-pen belt. Also, my grandparents bought me a medic alert bracelet. Since I was in grade 9 at the time, I thought that I might as well just stamp LOSER on my forehead.

My allergies bother me. I don't even like eating nuts. And shellfish? That shit can crawl back into the ocean

Btw, I love your avatar picture!

·
Registered
INTJ
1,092 Posts

lamo! I used to take the same shots! I won't take them any more! I think it's a major pain to have to sit for 30 min in a doc's office for observation when I have tons to do. that was funny tho! :p

·
Registered
127 Posts
lamo! I used to take the same shots! I won't take them any more! I think it's a major pain to have to sit for 30 min in a doc's office for observation when I have tons to do. that was funny tho! :p
Oh man, I know. The one time I tried to sneak out early I had a reaction and I got worked over in the nurse's office, and not in a good way. So, now I try to bring a book, but usually read the same page over and over because there are children screaming and people barfing in trash cans.

·
Registered
INTJ
1,092 Posts
ha! the question is what am I NOT allergic to!? -have had really bad allergies and asthma since I was as kid....sounded like Darth Vader and HATED it! so was put on a TON of meds that would make me hyper, not sleep, etc., etc. -the ones with the side effects to make you sleep does nothing for me.....Benadryl is like a placebo. -but Benadryl with a decongestant will wire me out and make me stay up all night!

foods: bananas, milk,

grass, mold, polen, dust, dog dander, horse dander, most bug bites will swell and make me look like a freak from some Stephen King movie....

I have hypoglycemia.....so, can't do sugary foods or fruits high in fructose, like oranges....so, can't handle orange juice. can't handle peanut butter..... -I get super spacey and feel like I'm not myself. -probably why alcohol and drugs do NOT appeal to me....I already have a natural thing that makes me feel disoriented :p

-supposed to be on allergy shots...but don't have the time to take 30 min or more out of my day 2 times a week to do that w/ juggling work and grad school.

oh, super allergic to cigarette smoke! -my sinuses swell immediately.....can't breathe! feels like I'm being chocked!

can't stand incense and things that have to do with any sort of smoke (unless it's food: BBQ!)....causes my sinuses and allergies to act up bad! -watery eyes, burning eyes, etc.

strong cheap perfumes, some body sprays, some soaps....Dawn Dish soap makes my hands break out in a bad rash to the point that they bleed.....my hands are super dry and damaged as a result of Dawn and bleach.

-I was told I should live in a desert climate in a serious tone by my doctor....lol. -I love Texas...so, that's not going to happen unless I meet some dude that sweeps me off my feet and moves me there :p

excellent thread :)

·
Registered
INTJ
1,092 Posts
Oh man, I know. The one time I tried to sneak out early I had a reaction and I got worked over in the nurse's office, and not in a good way. So, now I try to bring a book, but usually read the same page over and over because there are children screaming and people barfing in trash cans.
lamo! you are seriously funny! you know how to paint a picture with words! I def don't want to go to your doctor's office! hahaha! :p

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
High praise, madam! Yeah, they give the shots out in the "urgent care" area, so everyone in the waiting room is usually feeling terrible and on edge. It's very overwhelming sometimes.
HAHA! I know the feeling. I have been to the ER at least 6 times (that I can remember) to receive the shot. When I was nine I turned lobster red from head to toe, my parents rushed me to the ER - that's the first time I received the epi shot. I still don't know what caused me to turn that red.

When I was twelve I was bit by a bug on my forehead - I quickly began to resemble Quasi Modo - that's the second time I went to the ER for allergies.

It wasn't until 23 that I was tested for food allergies, though. One night I ate shrimp and crab for dinner, I went to bed and woke up short of breath, I looked in the mirror and my bottom lip looked ready to pop. I looked like Bubba Gump on steroids; so, off to the ER once again! I now have to keep an epipen close by. *sighs* Such is life!

·
Registered
INTJ
1,092 Posts
HAHA! I know the feeling. I have been to the ER at least 6 times (that I can remember) to receive the shot. When I was nine I turned lobster red from head to toe, my parents rushed me to the ER - that's the first time I received the epi shot. I still don't know what caused me to turn that red.

When I was twelve I was bit by a bug on my forehead - I quickly began to resemble Quasi Modo - that's the second time I went to the ER for allergies.

It wasn't until 23 that I was tested for food allergies, though. One night I ate shrimp and crab for dinner, I went to bed and woke up short of breath, I looked in the mirror and my bottom lip looked ready to pop. I looked like Bubba Gump on steroids; so, off to the ER once again! I now have to keep an epipen close by. *sighs* Such is life!
lmao! poor thing! I can relate! my doctor prescribed me some medication for pain: Naproxen! My whole body was red with a rash and my lips swelled sooooo big! -they had to give me 2 shots and a breathing treatment....my blood pressure was so low they were worried I was going to die! -now I won't take any pain medications! too scared! -that was the worst reaction I've ever had...was a couple years ago. -the other one is to Sulfa medications....gave me a rash and breathing problems....

maybe this is why we are Introverts? we are allergic to everything! haha! maybe even to certain people?! :p

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lmao! poor thing! I can relate! my doctor prescribed me some medication for pain: Naproxen! My whole body was red with a rash and my lips swelled sooooo big! -they had to give me 2 shots and a breathing treatment....my blood pressure was so low they were worried I was going to die! -now I won't take any pain medications! too scared! -that was the worst reaction I've ever had...was a couple years ago. -the other one is to Sulfa medications....gave me a rash and breathing problems....

maybe this is why we are Introverts? we are allergic to everything! haha! maybe even to certain people?! :p
You know, you may be on to something! Maybe we are introverted because we are so allergic to everything. Geesh, you are good at getting me thinking. I wouldn't mind keeping you around. :) Now, as for the allergic to people thing - I can name a few!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have seasonal allergies, mainly to pollen, but they haven't affected me in quite a while.

Reactions: adeodatus

·
Registered
INTJ
1,092 Posts
You know, you may be on to something! Maybe we are introverted because we are so allergic to everything. Geesh, you are good at getting me thinking. I wouldn't mind keeping you around. :) Now, as for the allergic to people thing - I can name a few!
I hope you keep me around! we're already good friends! and you're fun!

lol, I can think of a few peeps I'm allergic to, too! -pushy people, bossy people, rude people, selfish people hahahaha! -AH-CHOOO! :p

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hope you keep me around! we're already good friends! and you're fun!

lol, I can think of a few peeps I'm allergic to, too! -pushy people, bossy people, rude people, selfish people hahahaha! -AH-CHOOO! :p
just reading your description of the people made my throat itch and gave me the sniffles!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts