Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you guys feel "part" of something? I rarely ever have and rarely ever want to. I was just reflecting on how I can be the most cheerful person, who has some compassion for everyone, Sympathy for the devil, and a tendency to find the Silverlining in everything.

However, send me to a baby shower, and all I can think about is how insincere everyone's "aw's" are and wonder where they all learned to act so socially acceptable. If I show up to a rally for a cause I believe in, a huge part of me doesn't want to participate in any of the chants. Take me to a church, and I want to throw up the entire time, watching people perform for one another. Campaign for a good cause at work, and I'll internally roll my eyes at the conventional scriptedness.

It's to the point where it might be just contrary and immature of me to feel this way. I think it comes from a place of feeling that no one truly does feel like they're part of society; they all just aspire to be, because of feelings of inadequacy, or something. Maybe I'm just bitter.

So tell me, other 7's... do you like being part of a group? Is it real? And what does it feel like?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am not sure if I am a 7. I am either a 7w8 or an 8w7. Anyway, I can relate to exactly what you are saying.

In addition to what you said I also have this fear that if I start behaving like people in any group I am involved in do, I might become just like them and be boxed/lose my individuality and freedom. It's funny how many times I act unorthodox just to not look like and end up becoming like everyone else. Can you relate?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
yeah i can relate. bullshit and fakery to comply to a social convention. Vomit. But i'm more 8w7sx/sp

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ronney do you relate to this too: while I work to maintain my independence from any group, all too often I end up overdoing, and find myself not just independent but isolated?

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
How often do you guys feel "part" of something?
Never been absorbed and felt compelled, sucked in, to be a part of "something". I might acknowledge I am a part of "something" when I am objectively a part in a machinery that won't function without me.

So tell me, other 7's... do you like being part of a group? Is it real? And what does it feel like?
Yes, I like being a part of a group. I've learned groups are stronger than individuals when things goes to hell. Treat people accordingly. Be nice, be helpful, be polite, support if you want assistance in dire times, build a network of reliability for insurance purposes.

I want to be alone in crowds. Nothing good comes with big crowds of upset people.

·
Queen of Hearts
17,939 Posts
Do I like being part of a group - sometimes, not really, depends on the group etc. I usually do feel fairly isolated from groups, but not because of this

How often do you guys feel "part" of something? I rarely ever have and rarely ever want to. I was just reflecting on how I can be the most cheerful person, who has some compassion for everyone, Sympathy for the devil, and a tendency to find the Silverlining in everything.

However, send me to a baby shower, and all I can think about is how insincere everyone's "aw's" are and wonder where they all learned to act so socially acceptable. If I show up to a rally for a cause I believe in, a huge part of me doesn't want to participate in any of the chants. Take me to a church, and I want to throw up the entire time, watching people perform for one another. Campaign for a good cause at work, and I'll internally roll my eyes at the conventional scriptedness.
I'm pretty uncomfortable with group sentiment and such but not because of cynicism like this, more that it feels just...uncomfortable to me in a gut way, almost disgusting, shallow or . . . but it's not that kind of judgement, it just rubs me the wrong way in terms of *my* participation
It doesn't usually occur to me that people are being fake; at a baby shower well baby things are cute, I doubt most people are faking their 'aw's, I enjoy that kind of gathering a lot, celebrating something exciting in someone's life, I've been to baby showers that felt awkward to me, and ones that were nice, think it really depends on the group dynamics etc
Rallies aren't my scene but things like everyone chanting together tend to feel embarrassing to me, same at sporting events, I just feel like embarrassed for the people chanting in unison ahahaha, but again it's just a really gut feeling thing, I don't have any reason to dislike it

And church, well I'm religious and it might have to do with the churches that I go to but I never get sense that people are performing, could be some of them are, I wouldn't really care I think
Usually I find it touching to see people involved in religious worship, and kind-of . . . sad, because I never feel like I have the religious fervour or ability to connect or attach to groups that would give me close to what it looks like people are experiencing, I know that communion and community is an important part of my religion (Catholicism) but all I want is my private religious or spiritual experience, I'm there to fulfill requirements and get the sacraments, take my piece home, but I don't know how to be part of something like that

And I don't think it's fake and I don't really reject it, it's just not part of me, it feels much more like not knowing

It always made me sad, things like school dances, campfire sing-alongs (actually...I like singing with people, like dancing sometimes, I like feeling at concerts when everyone's singing along and you can feel how much it means to everyone)

But I always felt sad and a million miles away when people were singing and such

And kinda...

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Ronney do you relate to this too: while I work to maintain my independence from any group, all too often I end up overdoing, and find myself not just independent but isolated?
Yeah that happens. I only socialize as a means to an end. I socialize to met women or to network for band purposes.
If i am focused on something i'll go weeks with out socializing at all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts