Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I read this article that someone posted to the introverts community on LiveJournal and it made me think: I don't actually like alone time that much. Well, okay, I kind of like to have it in about a 2:1 ratio, maybe even a 1:1 ratio of time spent alone vs time spent with people, but go beyond that and I start to get all tweaky and anxious from too much boredom. I even feel refreshed after spending time/talking with (most) people!

While I have no doubt I'm an introvert, I wonder if the need for alone time correlates with per cent introversion or anything else. Thoughts? Experiences? Any other love-hate relationships with alone time?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have to say, I love alone time. I could probably spend a good day or two alone by myself. But, after that, I want to see people I care about. close friends, family. I'm not much of a crowd person. The only benefit I get from crowds is people-watching. That's fun, but besides that, I start getting claustrophobic in crowded places.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I think I am more for alone time. Being in the same place for that alone time is when the boredom creeps in. I like doing things, but usually by myself. And I do sometimes need to be with people, but only for awhile. I do get refreshed when talking to people to, but it depends on who. One thing though is that I do like people to be close, but not around all the time.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I have social cycles which are increasing in duration with increased practice and self-improvement and selection of people I enjoy being around. Then I have isolated cycles to recharge and... sort things, remember myself again, which are decreasing in duration as I work on myself and my life situation and all. I used to be mostly isolated. Now I am mostly social with a need for regularly scheduled time to myself, and some isolation now and then (usually lasting a month or so).

·
Registered
100 Posts
I enjoy time alone, but I also much enjoy time with close friends. And I'd say I need a good mix of both. I hate being in situations where I can't find some solitude.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I need my alone time to function properly.

I enjoy spending time with others... but I enjoy my time alone, when I can truly think and recharge, just as well.

·
Registered
431 Posts
For me, it just depends on what I'm doing with my alone time. I can never, just be doing nothing, I have to be stimulating myself in some way... usually an activity that correlates to me. I think I can go a few days at most by myself, assuming I'd have internet, TV, food, and books. After those days are up though it feels like my recharge battery is being over-charged and I need to unhook it from charging with some social interaction. I guess too much charging and I start to feel just frustrated that there is no one I can spend my energy on, and I'll go out of my normal way to go out and do just anything social.

So yeah.. I guess being an introvert is sort of a balancing act, depending on how fast your battery charges

·
Registered
182 Posts
Alone time is my default mode. I get lots of it, and no, I never get bored of it. I used to spend summer months by myself years ago. I have no problems with it at all.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Give me a cabin...

In the woods and leave me alone...I am good for months even years

·
Registered
10 Posts
Personally a good balance of both is necessary for me to feel comfortable. I'll happily spend a few days with my friends before I start to feel uncomfortable. Although parties, with lots of loud people I don't know, usually have me craving space after an hour or two. On the other hand I can spend days on end without seeing anyone and feel fine, as long as I know people are there if I need the company. It's when either option become unavailable that I really start to feel bad.

·
Registered
820 Posts
In a week I like to spend two or three days with people and the rest of the time alone. However because of work/studies/etc. in worst case I might have to spend the whole week around other people and that's too much! I try to keep at least one day off for myself to recharge my batteries. Otherwise I will be too overwhelmed and exhausted. If I'm alone over a week it will start to take its toll on my sanity. Overall I think I like to have people around me but I really need to have also time and space for myself.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Ceruleanesque said:
Personally a good balance of both is necessary for me to feel comfortable. I'll happily spend a few days with my friends before I start to feel uncomfortable. Although parties, with lots of loud people I don't know, usually have me craving space after an hour or two. On the other hand I can spend days on end without seeing anyone and feel fine, as long as I know people are there if I need the company. It's when either option become unavailable that I really start to feel bad
I feel similarly. I don't usually find that I have to recharge loads after only one day of people unless it's quite intense but I don't like to have people in too close proximity for more than a few days. I like to be doing stuff to keep myself occupied too. I can think about stuff to keep myself occupied if there really isn't anything else around but I think I'd rather be playing a game or learning something new if I have the choice

·
Registered
394 Posts
I enjoy my alone time too, I'm not sure how much I require to recharge.

Last night an acquantaince/friend of mine, certainly not a best friend (at least yet), who is going through a rough time, as he's within 2 weeks of a divorce, well last night he texted me and asked about my apartment a bit.

Out of necessity right now I'm renting a 2 bedroom by myself. He asked if I wanted a room mate.

This was my answer:

I'll am certainly willing to give you some space for a month or two while you get your feet and figure out what you need to do, but on the long-term I know I need my own space.

A large part of me doesn't want to let anyone in the place. I've come to value being able to come home late, and cook late, and do everything I need to when I need to without considering anyone else's schedule. I don't relish the idea of racing for the shower in the mornings, etc.

But the other part of me wants to be a good friend, and feels extremely sympathetic for him right now. I don't think I'm being a bad friend to say yes on a temporary basis, but I know I value my own space right now.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I've lived with and without a roommate and I miss whichever situation I'm not in. I like always having someone around if I'm bored, but on the other hand, it's nice not to have to worry about other people's schedules and having to explain yourself. Can't have my cake and eat it too, I guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personally a good balance of both is necessary for me to feel comfortable. I'll happily spend a few days with my friends before I start to feel uncomfortable. Although parties, with lots of loud people I don't know, usually have me craving space after an hour or two. On the other hand I can spend days on end without seeing anyone and feel fine, as long as I know people are there if I need the company. It's when either option become unavailable that I really start to feel bad.

I complete agree with Ceruleanesque.
I love spending days on my own but need to know that people are there if i want company. x

·
Registered
217 Posts
I actually prefer alone time way more than being with someone else. I can't believe how happy I get when I know I'm going to be left completely alone at home for a few hours or so, because then I can dance and sing loudly as long as I wish to. I like to blast my favorite CD's and pretend I'm holding a concert or something... (so much for being weird)

But I definitely sometimes get this strong feeling that I want to be with my best friend and spend my time with him. But being in crowded places... never.

Maybe I don't need that much of social interaction because I have an annoying sister who bothers me non-stop and just won't let me be alone. So that's probably why my "battery" is never fully recharged.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I like being alone, but I also like being with one close friend a lot. To me, that's just as good as being alone. Crowds are cool everyone in awhile, but I can't handle them for very long.

4,757 Posts
Right now I'm at 95% alone time.
It would be nice to see my friends a bit more, but I don't need to see them. I'm actually completely fine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts