Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does an ENFJ Type 5w4 sp/so/sx look like?
The typical 5 description sounds a bit off and there's very little material on 5w4 cases. And what kind of person are you taking those sp/so/sx into consideration?

I'm new to this as I've spent most of my time looking at the MBTI instrument.
Beware, I suck at wording myself at the moment, so excuse me if I sound kinda vague and even disoriented right now.

But seriously, I need to know this as the MBTI only provides a general understanding. I want to get the whole picture.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The typical 5 description sounds a bit off and there's very little material on 5w4 cases. And what kind of person are you taking those sp/so/sx into consideration?

Beware, I suck at wording myself at the moment, so excuse me if I sound kinda vague and even disoriented right now.

But seriously, I need to know this as the MBTI only provides a general understanding. I want to get the whole picture.
Before getting that specific, can I ask how you decided you're a 5? If you don't want to discuss that, that's okay. All types come in lots of flavours.

I don't know enough about MBTI to answer that part, but you can read about the different stackings and intincts in these threads:
http://personalitycafe.com/type-5-forum-investigator/9160-type-five-variant-stackings.html
http://personalitycafe.com/type-5-f...ve-instinctual-variants-without-stacking.html

According to the information from that first link an sp/so 5:
Self-pres/Social

In the average health range, this instinctual stacking is warm, friendly, and loyal. They need their down time and have no problem spending time alone. They actually value it very much. They feel an energy drain from people’s demands on them. This instinctual stacking is what is described in most Enneagram books. The most notable and potentially frustrating thing about people of this type is the difficulty involved in getting really close to them. While they can usually handle themselves socially, they always hold back when it comes to intensity or intimacy in a relationship which can frustrate a sexual variant type. Others are aware that there is more going on beneath the surface, but it can’t really be accessed. These Fives are masters at minimizing their needs. Even though they shy away from intense personal relationships they often have a lot of intuition about others. Their detached level of personal involvement somehow brings objectivity to their insights. They can be the most practical of the instinctual stackings.

Their issues usually revolve around demands made on their time. This can become problematic in personal relationships. This subtype has an ideal vision of what a close or romantic relationship should be, but given their concerns for protecting their space and time and lacking the instinctual drive of a strong sexual instinct, energy just doesn’t flow in that direction. Because this subtype is good at minimizing their needs they can get along fine with few relationships or without a romantic partner. With the social instinct second in the stacking, they generally do find friends or colleagues and they may even be married, but the need to maintain their own time to pursue their interests is always a point of contention.

These are the wing threads:
http://personalitycafe.com/type-5-forum-investigator/8563-overview-five-its-wings.html
http://personalitycafe.com/type-5-forum-investigator/39233-enneatype-5-wings.html

I agree there's less information about 5w4's on the web. I always suggest people get a hold of some books and work through those descriptions to type themselves. They're more encompassing and usually make less generalizations about people and go into further detail about typical trouble spots, habits, and traps as well as some advice on how to break out of a types negative patterns.

Although 5's can look a lot of different ways, I've personally found that legitimate 5's still always feel they relate to the descriptions as a whole. While your wing and your stacking can influence, there's still an innate 5ness at the core.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I've never ran across a ENFJ 5 [as far as I know] but I'm an INFJ 5w4.
I had a hard time figuring out if I was a 4 or 5. What helped me decided was reading the core motivations [and vices, virtues...] of both types. I identify more strongly with the 5's core than the 4's core. But I do have a heavy 4 wing, so it was hard to come to that conclusion. The typical 5 descriptions seem to describe 5w6's more than 5w4's. I would just do a lot of research on the types and focus on the core aspects. I feel like it takes a lot of time and honest effort to figure out your real type. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never ran across a ENFJ 5 [as far as I know] but I'm an INFJ 5w4.
I had a hard time figuring out if I was a 4 or 5. What helped me decided was reading the core motivations [and vices, virtues...] of both types. I identify more strongly with the 5's core than the 4's core. But I do have a heavy 4 wing, so it was hard to come to that conclusion. The typical 5 descriptions seem to describe 5w6's more than 5w4's. I would just do a lot of research on the types and focus on the core aspects. I feel like it takes a lot of time and honest effort to figure out your real type. Good luck!
Yeah, people do get surprised when they find out.
I come pretty close between the 5 and the 4 myself, but I feel like the 4s are too artsy for me, you know? I don't have creative outputs except that I'm really fucking funny (which can be utilized as a creative tool).

Why is it that any and all instruments used to measure personalities and even disorders fail to get me? Am I really that complex? Because I am very introspective and I don't have any doubts about who I am, so what's the deal?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I come pretty close between the 5 and the 4 myself, but I feel like the 4s are too artsy for me, you know? I don't have creative outputs except that I'm really fucking funny (which can be utilized as a creative tool).

Why is it that any and all instruments used to measure personalities and even disorders fail to get me? Am I really that complex? Because I am very introspective and I don't have any doubts about who I am, so what's the deal?
Fours don't necessarily have to be creative in the traditional artistic sense. They may see themselves as uniquely gifted in some capacity. Creativity is one of those stereotypes that people off fall into and think because they're creative in an artistic sense they must be fours, or alternatively, because they aren't, they can't be a 4. How do you relate to the core motivations of 4 and 5? I briefly danced around thinking I was a four when I first started seriously using the Enneagram, but it quickly became obvious I didn't share the motivations.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fours don't necessarily have to be creative in the traditional artistic sense. They may see themselves as uniquely gifted in some capacity. Creativity is one of those stereotypes that people off fall into and think because they're creative in an artistic sense they must be fours, or alternatively, because they aren't, they can't be a 4. How do you relate to the core motivations of 4 and 5? I briefly danced around thinking I was a four when I first started seriously using the Enneagram, but it quickly became obvious I didn't share the motivations.
I'm reading about them right now. Trying to grasp the concept. My experience with MBTI is far greater than with the Enneagram, so it's kinda like reading another language and translating it into your native tongue.

Could you quote this post so I don't have to doublepost? :p

·
Registered
2,156 Posts

I think people ARE that complex! :] I like the idea that everyone has the whole enneagram in them, but in different porportions. I like the tritype theory and the wing theory. If you have three types [tritype] and each type has a wing, then you have the possibility of being more influenced by six different types. Then you can learn about integration and disintegration, and you see how complex people really are. If you add the instinctual variants to that, you'll see that there really are A LOT of different personality options.
Some people don't like all those theories. I guess they think it's too convoluted. But I think it works well because people really are complex and there can be even very small differences that make people unique.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I'm reading about them right now. Trying to grasp the concept. My experience with MBTI is far greater than with the Enneagram, so it's kinda like reading another language and translating it into your native tongue.

Could you quote this post so I don't have to doublepost? :p
I wasn't sure what you meant by quoting your post.

Like @Jamie.Ether said, there's so many different parts of the Enneagram. Before I came onto this message board I hadn't really heard about tri-type theories and didn't know what my instinctual stacking was. I think it's usually best to just start with your basic core type, and then move on to wings, stacking, tritypes. It can be a bit overwhelming trying to grasp all that info at once. I find that the more you read about each of the types, the easier it is to continue to determine your full type. I also think that for many people, the discovery of the full type takes years. I found my core about 5 years ago, my wing a year later, and then in the last year and a bit have slowly been trying to see where I fit.

Welcome to the Ennea-world. :)

·
Registered
947 Posts

From my research, it probably will result people like Damon Albarn. Though I suspect him to be so/sx/sp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts