Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All this talk of wings and instinctual variants and tritypes and whatnot, I want to decode all that, too, be decisive about where I stand on those things. So, for example:

9w8 vs. 9w1
I think I tend to lean towards the 1 wing probably most of the time - people have often commented that I am a perfectionist. ("Nonsense," I say, "I simply want to be better than average do my absolute best at everything I do, which is not the same thing as having a goal of perfection, not at all, for that would be unrealistic!") I do sometimes seem to use the 8 wing, though, too... I can act a lot like an 8 as sort of a survival instinct, whenever I feel my needs or I am threatened in any way.

Instincts:
I'm gonna have to go with sexual. I'm just very intense in everything I do, for one thing. And yes, I do seek all kinds of real intimacy on things.

Tritype:
Are there rules for tritypes or can you throw just any 3 in there? Can you add wings to all the types in your tritype?

Any help on these matters would be appreciated.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Tritype:
Are there rules for tritypes or can you throw just any 3 in there? Can you add wings to all the types in your tritype?
There are NO rules, except one or two:wink:
You need 1 type from each triad - gut/head/heart. In any order. Like this 9-3-5 or 9-5-3. From most to least prominent
You may add wings how you like 9w1-3w2-5w4

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just want add that sometimes if you are just starting out with Enneagram, it might be good to focus only on verifying what your dominant type is, and learning about it. Then wings, then instincts, in that order. Tri-types are just theory, and I'd save those for last, but just know that they aren't really a part of the Enneagram teachings.

Also, some people don't have one strong wing, and have what we call "balanced wings" meaning you use both equally.

It's easy to get overwhelmed with information overload, so hang in there! :happy:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What makes you identify as a nine?
Well, basically my main goal in life tends to be balance/harmony/peace. I noticed that sort of terminology pretty often, and I uh, I really identify with peace symbols and yin-yang and things like that. So it fits me pretty well. I think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts