Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking, I'm not big on puzzles, debates or... what else is it that all the cool INTP kids are into these days? Anyway, all that aside, what about thinking about alternate history? Who he loves pondering 'the what if's and 'could have been's? no way to come to a full conclusion, is there really a right answer to these kinds of riddles? I don't think so, and that's how I like my questions, impossible to answer! And the answers are of course up for debate!
Hey, those two popular threads about INTP passtimes where about riddles and debates. Maybe there is something INTP about this. But personally, I don't care to share my ideas with other, and in fact I find listening to other peoples theories actually far more interesting than my own!Ever read any good alternate history stories? I know I have!

So for me the puzzles, riddles and debates don't stick, but is this an acceptable interest for an INTP? What say you?!?!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not into alternate history that much but I think "cool INTP kids" is an oxymoron. Perhaps that could be an alternate history subject in itself. What would the world be like if INTPs were considered cool role models?

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
Not into alternate history that much but I think "cool INTP kids" is an oxymoron. Perhaps that could be an alternate history subject in itself. What would the world be like if INTPs were considered cool role models?
I'd like to think I'm a cool role model....

·
Registered
619 Posts
That's a fun thing to think about. It dazzles me how everything had to align perfectly in order for me to be born. What if you were born because of the Holocaust somehow? It would be like Hitler somehow brought you to life. That is a very unnerving thought for me.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I don't really spend too much time thinking about the "What could have beens" because though it can be fun and a bit addictive, it's also depressing and a waste of time. I'd rather learn about what really happened...and speculate about the future.

When I think about 'Alternate History', I think about who has control of history, i.e. who has the power to write it. What haven't we been told about? What were the real reasons and ulterior motives between this or that, etc. Another thing I'm interested in (and feel strongly about) is when events are rewritten, skimmed over or ignored for one reason or another. It happens everywhere. One example is the textbook censorship of what the Japanese did in Nanking prior to and during WW2.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I used to think a lot about alternate history in a WW2 setting, but after I went through most of the main "if" questions it got a bit boring.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
That's a fun thing to think about. It dazzles me how everything had to align perfectly in order for me to be born. What if you were born because of the Holocaust somehow? It would be like Hitler somehow brought you to life. That is a very unnerving thought for me.
Let's go further, what about the multi-nationals that backed him, wouldn't they bringing you to life be a far scarier thought than a mere mustached politician with radical ideas doing it?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't really spend too much time thinking about the "What could have beens" because though it can be fun and a bit addictive, it's also depressing and a waste of time.
Waste time? But that seems to be my entire purpose in life.

Cool INTPs? Like, half the INTPs I know are super duper cool. For the record, I include myself in the uncool group of INTPs... and rightly so. But I know at least one INTP who, even if I didn't regard them to be cool they seem to have grown quite a fan base on there own. They may or may not be shifting toward being an ENTP though.

And now I feel I should reflect on other things I like and why this makes alternative history such an interest. Firstly, of course I like history. History was one of maybe two classes I did well in. Or maybe it was the only class I really did well in, I was just passable in English not really that great. Math and science, as far as I'm concerned forget about it. Science fiction on the other hand, I love that shit, especially time travel, but also aliens and the exploration of alien cultures. And weird technology. Norse mythology. Magic, mayhem, machines, memories, membranes, things that start with the letter 'm', mutual mindlessness, mundane madness, lists of things that all start with the same letter, and mongooses. So alternate history is just a perfect fit as you can see.

And if it's a waste of time, which I agree it most certainly is. That would make me the perfect person to (cue magical sparkles)EXPLORE it!

So who's read some good books. Books that don't derail this thread. But I'll happily derail it if people want to. I don't give a damn what the original poster thinks about me derailing this thread.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
@error Oh, I'm not against wasting time - I do it all the time...just with other trains of thought. Since history can't be changed, I try not to bother thinking "What if ____ happened?" I see the entertainment in it though. It's been said that the Chinese found America and Australia before the Europeans. What if they were as megalomaniacal as the British Empire? I haven't looked at the arguments and evidence myself, but it is an interesting topic.

I LOVE science fiction as it's very much about the future. I approach Asimov and other sci-fi with the idea that, "Hey, this MIGHT actually happen." That's where much of my enthusiasm comes from.
But yeah, since this thread isn't about future inventions and possibilities...

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I think alternate realities are more realistic than conventional science fiction. Futures not gonna get any more interesting than what it is. Seriously, technological singularity? SNORE!!! Do you really want to get your brained jacked into computers and live forever ensnared in the matrix, because that's as good as the future gets. There wont be anything like star trek, let me tell you. We can't travel to distant worlds. My theory on that has to do with cosmic rays ripping apart our shit on a molecular level after prolonged exposure no matter how advanced or well-equiped we are. Though there could be a mess of other reasons why space travel is impossible.

Time travel is the most likely, as well as the most interesting thing the future has to offer. And I hear you calling out in the distance, "But Error, how can this be! Wouldn't the Great Filter effect in space travel also apply to time travel? Where are the time travelers? I wanna meet a time traveler." Now settle down. Here's how it works, and how alternate histories and alternate dimensions come into play. Well, that's basically it. You can't go back and mess up your timeline by traveling back in time and having sex with Virginia Wolfe... no matter how stunning she is. Luckily for you, or more specifically for me, it's still possible to go back in time for some sexcapades with histories most attractive female writers. Although the universe doesn't want to come down with a sudden case of paradox! But there may be loopholes. Top scientists at the university of my ass are hard at work in perfecting time travel which allows the traveler to leap across the barriers not just in time, but also between alternate dimensions. In doing so they can fuck around all they want on any sexy or history changing adventure. And since it's not there universe, since their dimensional doppleganger wasn't involved than it's fair game. If the alternate version of them is killed or is prevented from traveling through time because of their actions, than it doesn't matter. While there past-self has not been touched or effected in any way, because it's not the same timeline!

Any questions? Oh, what does this have to do with alternate histories? Well, I thought it was obvious, but just in case... if this is the only way to travel through time, and it seems to me that it is the only reasonable way to do so... than it's easy to create whatever alternate reality you damn well please.

If it's is impossible, than quite frankly I don't care. I'm still all for considering the possibilities of alternate timelines. I think I've proved here today that I don't need an excuse to use my imagination.

Oh, did I mention I drew picture? I totally drew this picture guys, check it out!

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
I'm sure if we each go back far enough, we'll find that some traumatic and/or horrible event impacted our lives on some level. (On a more base level than the Holocaust, I don't think my parents should have ever gotten married, and their relationship was horrible... yet I wouldn't be around if they hadn't.)

I find that victory and failure, positive events and negative, all tend to be woven into the fabric of our lives. We can't really escape the imact of the negative, we can only redeem/channel it to something positive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts