Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm always reinventing myself is that an INFP thing to do... but even so as much as I try to change I always end up looking the same or reverting back into my shell. I have a hard time sticking to a routine and every time I look in the mirror I see myself differently. It like I morph as my mood changes. A little off topic but comment if you understand WTF I'm trying to get across...

:tongue:

·
Banned
656 Posts
I think I get what you mean. I personally am always trying to reinvent myself--working on my flaws, trying to become a more well rounded person. However, like everyone, I have my fair share of bad days, and sometimes I do catch myself reverting back to old ways...Kinda like one step forward, two steps back. I think that's only naturally though, and as long as you keep trekking, you end up making progress even if it takes you a while!

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,319 Posts
This is something I don't do....if I undestand you right. I've never understood the thing often mentioned about INFPs being on a quest to find themselves because I'va always felt like I knew very clearly Who I Am. I've always had a sense of consistancy with myself over the years. In most respects I am still the person I was at 5 and 10 and 15 and 20. Of course I have added new interests and matured in many ways, but my sense of who I am, my identity, my values, my tastes, my attitude, my general outlook on life always seems pretty much the same and I never feel like I want to change.....it would feel like....not being myself anymore. So I find it rather hard to comprehend people who change a lot, or who want to change a lot. I can imagine what I'd be like if I ws different in one way or another, but that's always something just to play with in the imagination, not something I actually want to try out.

·
Banned
867 Posts
Hmm I might know what you're talking about. Is it like you're a fish constantly jumping in new rivers just to see how it flows different? Or is it more like you're constantly changing your own view to see the many facets of how one river flows? I can wake up depressed and have a woe is me attitude, then listen to a song and have my creativity sparked, suddenly becoming hyperactive the rest of the day. I can't describe it, but I think I know what you're saying.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
This is something I don't do....if I undestand you right. I've never understood the thing often mentioned about INFPs being on a quest to find themselves because I'va always felt like I knew very clearly Who I Am. I've always had a sense of consistancy with myself over the years. In most respects I am still the person I was at 5 and 10 and 15 and 20. Of course I have added new interests and matured in many ways, but my sense of who I am, my identity, my values, my tastes, my attitude, my general outlook on life always seems pretty much the same and I never feel like I want to change.....it would feel like....not being myself anymore. So I find it rather hard to comprehend people who change a lot, or who want to change a lot. I can imagine what I'd be like if I ws different in one way or another, but that's always something just to play with in the imagination, not something I actually want to try out.
I'm sort of like this myself. I've never fundamentally deviated from my core self since I was a kid. Perhaps I've experimented with other personalities and interests, but deep down I'm still the same person I was when I graduated high school. Sure, I've gained some more knowledge and experience, but they were all filtered through my value system and when I deviated from it, my conscience definitely let me know about it!

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
That's interesting; I do clearly feel I know who I am as well. But I also re-invent myself. I find myself in become more myself. I am always changing, and I take great fascination (though I suppose it's rather self-absorbed) in noting the chances in my pesonality and how I perceive the world; and how the world expands and contracts according to where I am at, and how others look different. But I am finding myself, though I clearly know who I am, because I am not static; wherever I am, I end up having to change, to be my best self. I think the world challenges me and makes me have to make myself better. Each new situation and each new challenge I rise to, the stronger I become. Maybe it's like a ball of dough and I imagne it like rolling myself out in all directions. Before I am prepared to become a cookie (die). hhahaha. But I've also noted a lot of growing has been rejecting parts of myself to survive (or percieving that I had to do so to better myself or survive; maybe I never really did; but that's part of the journey) and then later learnign to accept them, re-foster them, and figure out how to bring back to life something I'd repressed in a healthy way, and learn how to express it. I keep learning lessons and forgetting them. And then sometimes it;s growing parts of ymself I never knew I had in the first place.

I am always myself but there are certain things I learn, and even though it takes a lot of messing it up and unlearnign and re-learnign, sometimes they stick. As a child my idealism was too naive and stubborn to the point I serparated myself from the world. I think I had to be disillusioned and have some very hard years to learn to integrate myself to the world, to see where I am faulty and selfish and the world is faulty and selfish and not percieve that I had to reject that "otherness". Now I can relax in ambiguouty... for the most part. And learning to deal with people was another lesson, of course, there's still some corners to be ironed out, but once again, I had an approach as a child that was too simplistic and as I became older, faced complications, rejected everyone, was depressed, and then reconciled with people and accepted gray areas. And it's a much better existence.

To @Owfin
it is very possible that is has something to do with being a three, three being my wing, but I feel it has more so do with being a four. Fours feel in order to be happy they must figure out their identity, whether this means "finding" or "constructing" probably depends on the four and where they are in life. Any four with self-awareness knows this identity can be to some extent self-constructed and on some level false- so it has been a search to find my real self in the context of the world. All fours introspect... and many try on different "personas". Perhaps a four wing three, however, is more consciousness of an "outside self" and an "inside self", and seeks to reconcile the two (often by experiemting with "persona" and "personality", while I can see a four wing five being more righteously different and non-compromising in their self image, which has both more integrity and more rigidity, perhaps?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah. In high school and during my 20's I thought of myself as a chamelian. I could easily take the personality of the other that I was talking to. It's that great sense of emphathy we INFPs have. Now, at age 52, I can sense the personality of others without taking them on. I'm not sure how it all happened. I just found bits of myself over the years and have an established "self". I was not this way in my 20's and 30's. But I don't recall being distressed over it. I rather enjoyed that aspect of myself.

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,905 Posts
Do you mean priorities constantly shifting?
I feel like this, I thought it was an Ne thing. Is it an Ne thing?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Re-inventing yourself means you want to change something about your life or yourself. There's only two things people want to change: what we do and how we feel?

Why do you want to lose weight? Because I'll feel better about myself. What did you change your college major? Because my old major made me feel depressed when I thought of the work I was going to do. And we usually change how we feel by changing a set of behaviors from something that made us feel disempowered to something that makes us feel empowered. This could mean changing the way we dress or changing our routine and activities.

All re-invention really is, is changing a set of behaviors. That's why re-invention for re-invention sake rarely sticks. You change behaviors because they last set didn't move your life forward. If you change your behavior because you're bored of your routine than you just end up with lateral moves that don't get you any further closer to your goals.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re-inventing yourself means you want to change something about your life or yourself. There's only two things people want to change: what we do and how we feel?

Why do you want to lose weight? Because I'll feel better about myself. What did you change your college major? Because my old major made me feel depressed when I thought of the work I was going to do. And we usually change how we feel by changing a set of behaviors from something that made us feel disempowered to something that makes us feel empowered. This could mean changing the way we dress or changing our routine and activities.

All re-invention really is, is changing a set of behaviors. That's why re-invention for re-invention sake rarely sticks. You change behaviors because they last set didn't move your life forward. If you change your behavior because you're bored of your routine than you just end up with lateral moves that don't get you any further closer to your goals.
Honestly You should teach a class. :proud: Needed that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do you mean priorities constantly shifting?
I feel like this, I thought it was an Ne thing. Is it an Ne thing?
"Intuitive people process data through impressions, possibilities and meanings, so the Extraverted Intuition function allows a person to see different path or ways. When information comes in, different possibilities are thought of, realizing that there is always another way of looking at things."

That is a quote I found on extraverted intuition. I think our Ne sees many, many pathways. That's why I had no fracking clue as to what I wanted to do when I graduated from high school. Everything seemed interesting. I saw so many possiblities. So, I tried a little of this, a little of that. Tried courses in almost every field. I ended up with a Political Science degree basically because I could fit all of those courses into the Junior and Senior years which were all electives.

Frankly, I would recommend that course of action. That is...explore, explore, explore...before you settle. It worked for me. It helped me sort things out. I could delete some things from my list and add others. I just changed careers at 48. I went back to college and got my second masters degree. I reinvented myself. Speech Langauge Pathology. Love it. I still could not tell you what I want to be when I grow up, though. There are still so many possiblities. I have a looong list of things I want to explore and develop. Ne === Explore (but more in the realm of ideas, not physical places, like exploring caves). I think it's just our nature our Ne...yes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, I'm terrible about this. I'm on a constant quest to "find myself." Constantly reinventing myself, finding my flaws and mending them. It actually took me a really long time to accurately type my personality because of this. I had gotten so deep in who I wanted to be I had forgotten who I truly was. Of course, there is some good to this. After my mild periods of "evolution" I always come out a little better than I was before, but it's still irritating. Lately, though, I feel like I'm finally "there." Where I've been wanting to be as a person all this time, and it feels...good.
:proud:

·
Registered
10 Posts
@infpblog

This is a really good point. It's alright to change, it's necessary. Life is about evolving and change is imminent. But changing just be someone you aren't will never work.

Reactions: Aelthwyn
1 - 20 of 20 Posts