Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, I have no attachment to either being/not being a narcissist, so feel free to be as honest as possible. my current opinion is that I have narcissistic leanings, but am not a true narcissist.

anyway, why I think so
1) I tend to view myself as a prince. the idea of having people bow at my feet and serve me feels quite natural.
2) People (who aren't lovers or very close friends) touching me offends me. Not because I am uncomfortable with it, it's more of a control thing and viewing myself as a sort of prize (I realize many people share this trait a little, but, when I'm under a lot of stress, I've had to restrain myself from punching my own mother for this reason. obviously, the rational part of my brain kicks in and tells me this is a fucking retarded reason to punch your own mother)
3) I think about myself constantly, so much so that I difficulty thinking about things that don't relate to me (for instance, hard sciences)
4) Other people's suffering seldom effects me. like, when September 11 happened, I was like "whatever, I don't know anyone in New York"
5) even when a family member dies, I don't feel much of anything. sure, I'll give them a moment of silent respect, but then all I'm thinking is "whatever. there should be a party. where's the food?"
6) all this goes without saying, my ego is fucking gigantic
7) I have the urge beat people into submission who don't respect me. much of the time, the only thing keeping me back is physical limitations (I have a delicate physique), fear of physical injury (thanks 6 wing and secondary Self Prez :tongue: ) and legal ramifications. people must be able to tell this about me, because I would enjoy an excuse to act on these urges more often :cool:
8) I always think I'm special/the exception to the rule and I HAVE to stand out. the idea of fitting in scares me.

things not narcissistic about me
1) I take constructive criticism pretty gracefully
2) I don't tend to be tyrannical in positions of power. if anything (it's when I don't have any real power that you have to worry about me...)
3) I have no problem apologizing when I've done something wrong
4) I make an effort to ensure my expectations of others are reasonable (thanks 1 fix)
5) I don't act on most of my urges, in fact, I'm typically pretty friendly :wink:

·
Registered
769 Posts
do you try to convince somebody, or something?
anyway, imo health portion of humbleness is essential. Excessive self-admiration blinds person and pulls from productive, realistic point of view on matters.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
Sounds like my ex wife. She had transient psychosis alsp. She got an appliacation from the NY marathon folks and told every she had been asked to attend - flat did not believe that came off a mailing list. She showed everyone her awards for coming in second in a two person race. She broke up with friends because they did nort praise her. Also a pathological liar a thief, and an adultress. Long gone, good riddance, hope she burns in hell.

Yeah, I see a streak in you also.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Nope :wink:
I've meet real life people with NPD.. And they are manipulative in ways that you can't even possibly imagine. The difference between you and them (despite the fact that you don't seem manipulative at all) is that you want people to think that you are a pathological narcissistic.

I wouldn't use NPD as a crown :laughing: It's too lame...

Reactions: Noctis and Div

·
Registered
957 Posts
No. My dad and other people I've encountered who've had NPD were sick and subversive assholes, as in really twisted, not just self centered. I think it's quite healthy that you own up to it like that/don't feel any shame about it, plus you don't really look like you have much desire to go out of your way to hurt others.

I'd say you might be compensating for a lot of insecurity, though... Just a thought

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Nah, just your average drama queen/attention-whore. ;) :p

^ Agree with the above point about compensating for insecurities. We all have them, you're only human.

·
Banned
161 Posts
I don't think your insecure, delusional, or narcissistic. Maybe a little empty though. You look around at everyone with their petty motives, it is probably hard to not think a lot of yourself. Life of a 7?

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No. My dad and other people I've encountered who've had NPD were sick and subversive assholes, as in really twisted, not just self centered. I think it's quite healthy that you own up to it like that/don't feel any shame about it, plus you don't really look like you have much desire to go out of your way to hurt others.
I'd say you might be compensating for a lot of insecurity, though... Just a thought
thanks for the thought, but I don't think so. I probably have a few insecurities, but it's more about feelings of entitlement and an unrealistic view of myself. insecurity is typically more about trying to prove something.

·
Registered
937 Posts
first off, I have no attachment to either being/not being a narcissist, so feel free to be as honest as possible. my current opinion is that I have narcissistic leanings, but am not a true narcissist.

anyway, why I think so
1) I tend to view myself as a prince. the idea of having people bow at my feet and serve me feels quite natural.
2) People (who aren't lovers or very close friends) touching me offends me. Not because I am uncomfortable with it, it's more of a control thing and viewing myself as a sort of prize (I realize many people share this trait a little, but, when I'm under a lot of stress, I've had to restrain myself from punching my own mother for this reason. obviously, the rational part of my brain kicks in and tells me this is a fucking retarded reason to punch your own mother)
3) I think about myself constantly, so much so that I difficulty thinking about things that don't relate to me (for instance, hard sciences)
4) Other people's suffering seldom effects me. like, when September 11 happened, I was like "whatever, I don't know anyone in New York"
5) even when a family member dies, I don't feel much of anything. sure, I'll give them a moment of silent respect, but then all I'm thinking is "whatever. there should be a party. where's the food?"
6) all this goes without saying, my ego is fucking gigantic
7) I have the urge beat people into submission who don't respect me. much of the time, the only thing keeping me back is physical limitations (I have a delicate physique), fear of physical injury (thanks 6 wing and secondary Self Prez :tongue: ) and legal ramifications. people must be able to tell this about me, because I would enjoy an excuse to act on these urges more often :cool:
8) I always think I'm special/the exception to the rule and I HAVE to stand out. the idea of fitting in scares me.

things not narcissistic about me
1) I take constructive criticism pretty gracefully
2) I don't tend to be tyrannical in positions of power. if anything (it's when I don't have any real power that you have to worry about me...)
3) I have no problem apologizing when I've done something wrong
4) I make an effort to ensure my expectations of others are reasonable (thanks 1 fix)
5) I don't act on most of my urges, in fact, I'm typically pretty friendly :wink:
No, you are NOT Narcissistic ;-)

A Narcissistic Person would never give reasons why they are NOT Narcissistic...think about it

You answered your own question....period.

By 4w3 SX/SP

Reactions: Swordsman of Mana

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
You may or may not be narcissistic, it's hard to tell, especially from self-report. Sometimes it's easier by observing someone in action or getting reports from friends and family.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
It's clear you are not narcissistic. Your patterns indicate ENFP 7w6-4w3-1w2 or 4w3-7w6-1w2 sx/sp to me. I don't see the 9 wing at all. The 4 seems stronger in how you speak as-if about yourself. Who knows though, only a small sampling.

That 7-4 selfish flamboyance is very there. It's vastly different from the gaping need a psychotic narcissist has. I have know 1 or 2 and they lied about everything constantly. To any intuitive type 8-4-6 their lies are so obvious it's past comical and down to annoying, although a lot of people get taken in for some reason. I personally find their clear desperation and hyperactivity alarming and unsettling. Most of them, or at least the ones I have known were substance abusers but with a very means to an end pattern about it. Red-faced and grand. One of them I know ever wrote a song called 'Red' just for that reason.

Braggadocio is the m.o. and no other type of person makes me want to have spiderman's web powers just for the web gag ... 'Hush now, let the adults talk'.

I also have the don't touch thing. And I am ENTP 8w7, 4w3, 7w8 sx/so. I usually move out of the way of touch attempts and glare at the person, hot women excluded. BUt I do have to restrain myself from responding to uninvited touch just like you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think you just have a very distorted perception of yourself, and the world. You sound kinda young, maybe late adolescence or early adulthood? It's extremely common for those in youth to feel this way; you're healthy, prime mating age, and probably above average, looks-wise. Just be careful with how "special" you think you are, though. Don't do some crazy mess like run into an atom bomb to prove your special-ness, that's where I think you'd be seriously bordering into the territory of having a psychological problem. I have to wonder if it doesn't slightly stem from some kind of vague, subconscious desperation to not be an average, boring person, given how you'd hate to "fit in".

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Im hesitant to say NPD but I think you may have something amiss. You lack empathy for others and are self absorbed and definitely have a fixation on being dominant.

I noticed my ESFP also has some of these traits. Sexually he wants real power, and it affects other area of his life non sexually because his mother noticed his need for control or to be the alpha...but in a stubborn or immovable way or physical or emotional way rather than consciously taking control of the environment as a Je dom is inclined to do.

However he can also be artlessly sweet, vulnerable and giving, so I don't think he is a sociopath (he leans more toward 8ish sado-masochist more than 3 narcissist).

Also for you I have noticed a sweetness and a rather guileless good natured candor over the years on line, I never really thought of you as a sociopath or even a true manipulative, insecure narcissist.

It is more like delusions of grandeur. I wish honestly I could put my finger on it.

You come across as an ESFP sometimes in online persona, but when I have seen videos of you, you surprisingly seem almost ENTP.

So I think you are probably a 7w8 ENFP who buries Fi under an Ne/Te loop. I agree with the person who asked if you were abused in some way, making you vigilant to protect your Fi...but with 7/8 defence (I don't care, suck my d#!+ plebe) way instead of the brash, reactive 6/7 way that I do.

I was emotionally abused by my grandfather's wife. My ESFP was exposed to constant instability in his mother's relationships with men, and was manipulated by her Fe chastising that she unleashes on others when she's tired of fighting with her boyfriend. I remember hearing his sister say to him once "yeah back when mommy actually loved us" and him saying to me that his mother cried a lot to manipulate people or get her way. I thought it was a horrible thing for him to say. Then I got to know her....

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
The fact that you're asking these questions, in a self help forum, means you are clearly not a narcissist,because you're asking others if there is something wrong with you. A true narcissist would never dream of probing such questions because they assume already they are perfect.Perhaps, empathy is something you could and should work on. Also, take my advice, don't think about legacy. Because that's your ego talking. Yes I went through the same egocentric tendencies you are now feeling.

Reactions: Noctis

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
I think you're enamored with the idea of being a narcissist. But most actual narcissists aren't too self-reflective.

Reactions: chimeric

·
Banned
1,469 Posts
Maybe you deserve to be treated like a Prince, and you know so :cool: Maybe people don't acknowledge that enough.

Do you have royalty in your family blood by chance? I know an ENFP who is royalty, since he's related to some royalty from WWII.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts