Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum.
I'm writing because I need help.

I've always identified myself as ENTP because, reading the ENTP profile and its functions, I feel this is my true self.
The problem is, I think I am a repressed ENTP.
I'm always scared of what my others will think of me, plus, I don't like myself. I feel like I'm only a shadow of who I truly am. And this frustrates me a lot, because people see me as the opposite of who I am.
I have so many ideas and things I would like to do, but there are always this fear and this dissatisfaction that block me.

Do you think this is due to the fact that being a teen my functions aren't completely developed yet? What should I do?

Thank you.

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
Are you young, like still in highschool?

It kind of sounds like you're just now developing you're Fe. A lot of us go through this phase in high school, where we know we're extroverts, but we have a hard time breaking out of our shell.

Do some researching through old threads and stuff. You'll probably find a lot :happy:

EDIT: i just noticed where you said that you're a teen. I think you'll notice in a few years you'll feel more comfortable with yourself. Just hang in there, and enjoy the process of discovering yourself. It can actually be rather fun, and you may surprise yourself

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
It kind of sounds like you're just now developing you're Fe. A lot of us go through this phase in high school, where we know we're extroverts, but we have a hard time breaking out of our shell.
Yeah. This.

Reactions: Doc Dangerstein

·
Registered
745 Posts
Are you young, like still in highschool?

Do some researching through old threads and stuff. You'll probably find a lot :happy:

EDIT: i just noticed where you said that you're a teen. I think you'll notice in a few years you'll feel more comfortable with yourself. Just hang in there, and enjoy the process of discovering yourself. It can actually be rather fun, and you may surprise yourself
I guess I've been experiencing something similar to OP as of late. I'm 19, getting more comfortable with myself overtime. But I find I have a lot of trouble being open around people, but when I am and finally come out of my shell I find I have great success with it and can be quite charismatic when I want to be. Does it eventually just become natural to be more comfortable with yourself, and around others too?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Ecstasy, maybe 1 tab of lsd.

Reactions: reptilian

·
Registered
389 Posts
That's the thing. I was pretty introverted in High School. Suddenly when I hit 20, I became a (seemingly) different person. The key is just to be open with people and whenever meeting new people being honest with your interests and not hide them (and seem like an ESFP lol). The problem was that I kept my opinions and taste in music and whatever hidden and just played along with the mainstream to prevent people from laughing at me. But when I "came out" with my stuff suddenly everyone wanted to hang out with me. It was like magic. And nobody laughed. Or dared to laugh, at least.

Be yourself, be a bad*ss. Being an opinionated person who sticks out of the crowd is far better than someone bland hidden in a soup. People are interested in original people. Even being totally weird is better than being average.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
... oh man, that sucks.

Throw in being exceptionally moody, and losing of possible hope for a good future and you get the worst version of me. Yes, I've been at this stage numerous times throughout my life and the consistent factor is being in the company of judgemental, difficult people or in a toxic relationship. Which happened only once for three years, and I will never let something like that happen again. Point is: age doesn't matter because I felt this way in me thirties, and it doesn't matter if you're ENTP/ENFP (because I identified as both) or any other type because people get self conscious.

There was something awesome Tzara said one time what I was in a similar funk: You gotta find the crazy mothafuckas who love you. Not sure its for everybody or tert Fe, man ... thanks for making that post.

... and this:

Be yourself, be a bad*ss. Being an opinionated person who sticks out of the crowd is far better than someone bland hidden in a soup. People are interested in original people. Even being totally weird is better than being average.
... average don't get you nothing. Maybe a doctorate in monotony, and a life sentence of boring.

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
I guess I've been experiencing something similar to OP as of late. I'm 19, getting more comfortable with myself overtime. But I find I have a lot of trouble being open around people, but when I am and finally come out of my shell I find I have great success with it and can be quite charismatic when I want to be. Does it eventually just become natural to be more comfortable with yourself, and around others too?
In my experience, yes. I'm 21 and I'd say this is the first time in my life when I've ever really felt like I exhibit my "true self" in public. It's a gradual thing, and takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Yep, sounds like high school. I was so clusterfucked even through most of college that it was nearly impossible to type me. But I identified with the ENTP description and functions the most.

Being a teenager sucks. Being a teenager who is self-aware and prone to over-analyzing your own behavior sucks even more. Eventually you'll be an adult, and you will realise that the world is really big and you can choose who to be friends with very selectively. You will also learn that you're a chronic underachiever and will eventually give up on being "who you truly are" to the fullest extent, in favor of being a reasonably functional member of society who spends most of their free time dicking around and browsing the internet while eating cookies. You will go through phases of trying to set huge goals for yourself like finishing a Masters degree or starting a business, which you may or may not actually pull off, but the majority of your time in life after high school will be spent screwing around.

So because your life will be mostly pointless and underwhelming, you might as well just not worry about it. Use that over-analyzing brain of yours and distract yourself with cool little pointless side projects, like writing half of a novel or learning how to speak small amounts of foreign languages, or getting to the next level in a video game. These are the things which will prevent you from hating yourself via thinking too much.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
It's interesting how this seems to be a very common thing experienced by ENTPs - I was very shy and even introverted when I was small and could hardly speak in groups of more than 5 or so people when I was 17. Although I became more social since then, the first time I did the MBTI test over half a year ago I only got INTP because I had always thought of myself as an introvert so I assumed I'd be one. My friend didn't exactly agree and forced me to do it all over again and since then I've done probably around 5 different tests and it's always been ENTP.

And well, even as a 20-year old I feel like my functions have definitely not fully developed yet although I do start recognizing more and more ENTP characteristics in my behavior all the time. I feel like as teenagers most of us, regardless of their personality type, will attempt to conform and fit in as well as possible anyway in order to not cause any unwanted negative attention.

1,162 Posts
For me, yes. I really broke out of my shell in my early twenties, and now that I've hit my mid thirties I'm just about the person I want to be. A big part of this was learning to empathise with people, something I'd sucked at as a child and teen, and getting comfortable with the fact I'm always going to be a square peg in a round world. Not that everyone doesn't feel like this at least sometimes as a teenager, I think that's generally an awkward time for most of us. Probably more true for NT types.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I feel comfortable with other people I could say I am the "life of the party" and just do what I feel like doing without even thinking about it. The problem is that sometimes I end up getting bored of people and I come to a point where I just can't stand them anymore and retire into my shell again. It is really rare for me to find someone I actually like.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.