Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reviewing the possibilities of being type 6 because I seem to be different from the typical wings. I'm also more openly aggressive, and more active than most 1s. I think I maybe a SO6 described below by Naranjo:
Illustrated as The Prussian, as other type 6s are warm the SO6 is cold, very precise, love of precision, summons up much courage to say something is white or black because it is easier to say there is ambiguity and gray areas on topics, incredibly concerned with dutiful, a little bit of a mind of a caregiver, intellectually act in a way that must figure out where north and south is, if they're ever to become human they need to become crazy first and forget about duty and not duty then connect with intuition and a lack thereof which is basically questioning everything they know and do.
http://www.enneagramworldwide.com/explore-the-enneagram/instinctual-subtypes/instinctual-subtypes-social-instinctual.php said:
Type 6: Duty

In the social domain, you assuage your fear through your loyal duty to a group or cause. You feel safe bonded together with others in a common cause where you understand the needs and assure the code of behavior. You align with people you trust through mutual obligations and sacrifice: “United we stand, divided we fall.” You find power and hence safety in the group’s authority. Knowing the rules and creating clear agreements with friends and colleagues are vital for overcoming your fear. As a Loyal Skeptic, your tendency to project negative power onto the world makes underdog causes particularly appealing. You align with the needy, the oppressed and the persecuted. You work for the cause. The call to duty mobilizes you rather not personal gain, which would expose you. But at your worst, you give away your own authority and power.
A 6 of such sorts is something I can identify with very much, I may have misinterpreted my tendencies to this point. This type 6 would be loyal to a large extent to a cause and how it betters thing then carry a rebelliousness and desire to strip ambiguity from the world, which has been my drive on PerC. When I started taking on personality theory I threw everything out and slowly invited everything again to not allow the theories to overlap and create gray areas in interpretation, which really aligns with what Naranjo said about needing to forget everything to live again. 'The Prussian' sounds very much like a 1 sort of characterization, but in terms of a 6.

I have always considered myself to be playing a role in a process, and have loyalty to the cause, but I don't like people. I just help them because I know they carry greatness of their own and intend to better their situation so they may help the causes.

I don't identify much with the group-orientation of the SO6 spoke of my that site, but instead only by Naranjo.

Any advice as to how I would know if I'm not a 1 and a 6?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Hey there, I was looking into type 1 more. I related to some of the ideals of a 1 and thought I would explore it further. I feel like they have a different approach to similar things, that I approach as well. And I like learning new angles.

Misidentifying Ones and Sixes

Both are among the compliant types of the Enneagram. As noted in Personality Types (434-436), Ones are compliant to the demands of their superegos and their ideals, while Sixes are compliant to the demands of their superegos and other people, especially perceived allies or authority figures. We say that Ones have an "Inner Critic" in their heads, while Sixes have an "Inner Committee." What these two types have in common is the tendency to feel guilty when they do something contrary either to their ideals (Ones) or to the commitments to allies, beliefs, and authorities they have made (Sixes). Guilt feelings owing to strong consciences and the tendency to strike out either at themselves or at others (or both) are the main points of similarity between them. While Sixes may rarely mistake themselves for Ones or Ones misidentify themselves as Sixes, other people may be confused by some superficial similarities between them. (And, in fact, a Six with a Five-wing will more likely be confused with a One than a Six with a Seven-wing because of the seriousness and intensity that the Five-wing brings to the Six's overall personality.)

These two types are easy to distinguish, however, by noting the overall emotional tone of each type. Average Sixes are anxious, indecisive, ambivalent, and, above all, reactive. They find it difficult to relate to others with self-confidence as equals, tending either to become too dutiful and dependent or to go to the opposite extreme and become rebellious and defiant. Sometimes they get stuck in the middle and become ambivalent, indecisive, and vacillating.

These traits are almost completely absent in average Ones. Their overall emotional tone is one of self-controlled, impersonal efficiency, orderliness and propriety. Ones are emphatically not indecisive: they know their own minds and have opinions about everything, which they are more than willing to express to others. Ones are certain, and trying to convince others that they know the optimal way to do things. Sixes are uncertain, and rely on reassurance, back-up, familiar procedure, or the sanction of previously tested ideas and philosophies to help them come to decisions.

Average Ones are often so tightly self-controlled that they are able to keep their feelings at bay. They are frequently unaware of the degree of their tensions. Average Sixes struggle with more volatile feelings and have difficulty putting them aside–although they seldom express their feelings to others. Sixes carry considerable anxious tension and are more aware of it. Righteous anger, irritation, and moral indignation are the principal negative emotions in Ones, whereas fearfulness, suspicion, and anxiety are the principal negative feelings in Sixes. Moreover, while lower functioning Ones can be sarcastic and verbally abusive, they almost never let themselves get out of control and are seldom physically violent, whereas low functioning Sixes can more easily lose their tempers, sometimes erupting into hysterical reactions or even physical violence.

When it does arise, the confusion seems to stem from both types' overactive superegos. Both are "should" and "must" people: both feel obligated to take care of all duties before relaxing or attending to their own needs. Further down the Levels, both types exhibit a legalistic streak: Sixes at Level 6 are The Authoritarian Rebel and Ones at the same Level are The Judgmental Perfectionist. When their superegos are on more severe, both types are quite capable of telling others what to do, although in different ways and for different reasons. Ones moralize and scold, lecturing others in the name of an ideal about whatever issues are of concern to them. ("Do you have any idea how wasteful it is to use an air conditioner?") Ones do not hesitate to order others around, telling them what they should be doing so to improve themselves or to be more effective.

Sixes can also give orders, not because of rigid inner standards, but because they are afraid of what they see as the erratic, irresponsible conduct of others potentially disrupting the security and stability they are trying to maintain. They are angered and threatened by others "breaking the rules" and becoming more unpredictable. Sixes identify with certain beliefs or authority figures and internalize the values that they have learned from these sources of guidance. Once they have identified with what they have taken to be trustworthy sources of information about the world, Sixes can be aggressive toward anyone who does not accept the same values as they do. This is especially true when Sixes are more insecure–the more anxious they are, the more they want to cling to whatever positions or allegiances they still believe in. The indifference of others to their beliefs may infuriate Sixes as much as outright rejection of them does. Compare the personalities of George Bush (a Six) and Al Gore (a One), Meryl Streep (a One) and Meg Ryan (a Six) for examples of the similarities and differences of these two types.

I probably relate to this quote the most...
Until they can get in touch with their own inner guidance, Sixes are like a ping-pong ball that is constantly shuttling back and forth between whatever influence is hitting the hardest in any given moment. Because of this reactivity, no matter what we say about Sixes, the opposite is often also as true. They are both strong and weak, fearful and courageous, trusting and distrusting, defenders and provokers, sweet and sour, aggressive and passive, bullies and weaklings, on the defensive and on the offensive, thinkers and doers, group people and soloists, believers and doubters, cooperative and obstructionistic, tender and mean, generous and petty—and on and on. It is the contradictory picture that is the characteristic “fingerprint” of Sixes, the fact that they are a bundle of opposites.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
@Wake

*evil grin* oooy Sousuke-kun..why can't you decide? Why are you doubting? More importantly >) why are you asking other people, seeking outside information?

PS: he is a 6, just saw u use that avatar way too much.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Wake

*evil grin* oooy Sousuke-kun..why can't you decide? Why are you doubting? More importantly >) why are you asking other people, seeking outside information?

PS: he is a 6, just saw u use that avatar way too much.
Hehe, I've always resented that reasoning for typing 6s "You are too uncertain of your type, must be 6."

Sousuke Sagara is my favorite anime avatar character. He's fierce, well-prepared, and kicks ass. He's a little paranoid though for my taste.

Green are things I agree with.
Red thing I don't agree with.

Sixes can also give orders, not because of rigid inner standards, but because they are afraid of what they see as the erratic, irresponsible conduct of others potentially disrupting the security and stability they are trying to maintain. They are angered and threatened by others "breaking the rules" and becoming more unpredictable.(I would say that I have a standard of being for most things, like a code of conduct. I consider this code of conduct to be part of a desire to defend myself from being effected by others' carelessness. For this reason, the outside world is given guidelines for control over possible wrongdoings.) Sixes identify with certain beliefs or authority figures and internalize the values that they have learned from these sources of guidance. Once they have identified with what they have taken to be trustworthy sources of information about the world, Sixes can be aggressive toward anyone who does not accept the same values as they do. At one point I was very much like this. I was a hardcore Republican never doubting the commentators on TV then I took time to look into the facts from their presentation then I discarded their beliefs because they were on ground and unable to argue certain issues. Since the issues were unresolved I became frustrated with the party and begun to call myself an independent while ignoring the ideologues. I believe and follow management at work without question until they do something that sets me off and proves they do not know what they're doing. I can tell when people have cross a line and I look to leadership for handing out punishments. Once proven untrustworthy to make the right decision I decide to rebel. At some point I've decided to stop following others for guidance and take it all into my own hands to learn my own way, and I may have clung to my conscience as a way to feel certain of my positions, but it's hard given this fact to tell if I am a 6 or 1. When I was younger I wasn't always very certain This is especially true when Sixes are more insecure–the more anxious they are, the more they want to cling to whatever positions or allegiances they still believe in. I've always been pretty quick to undo relationships which I've lost respect for, and that happens often. I really don't like kicking people out of my life, so it comes pretty slow if you're pretty close to me. The indifference of others to their beliefs may infuriate Sixes as much as outright rejection of them does. No one likes to be disrespected, and everyone has an opinion. No one likes rejection.
That particular strand of type 6 titled The Prussian seemed particularly interesting and different. As I matured into my own person I've felt as though I undertook that exact train of thought. Perhaps it is an easy 1 mistype, perhaps it is a myth of a 6 by Naranjo.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
@Wake

This is especially true when Sixes are more insecure–the more anxious they are, the more they want to cling to whatever positions or allegiances they still believe in.
I can't relate to that either and do exactly what you do, I undo relationships in stead, move on, find something else. The rest of what you wrote is something I can relate to as well. I mistyped as E1 at one point and to be honest I thought I finally found my type back then. Just goes to show how strong the 1 fix is...meh...I dislike its' "rigidity" thou, and consider it something I need to change about myself. (you know integrate it to 7 more).

Is it that difficult to look past how you are and see what motivates you to be like this?

Hmm when looking at the motivations and fears i can relate to E1 about 90%, but all of this is soo INFP-ish. XD well okay I'm not organized lol or orderly. I'm more chaotic and disorganized.

Type One in Brief

Ones are conscientious and ethical, with a strong sense of right and wrong. They are teachers, crusaders, and advocates for change: always striving to improve things, but afraid of making a mistake. Well-organized, orderly, and fastidious, they try to maintain high standards, but can slip into being critical and perfectionistic. They typically have problems with resentment and impatience. At their Best: wise, discerning, realistic, and noble. Can be morally heroic.

Basic Fear: Of being corrupt/evil, defective
Basic Desire: To be good, to have integrity, to be balanced
Enneagram One with a Nine-Wing: "The Idealist"
Enneagram One with a Two-Wing: "The Advocate"

Key Motivations: Want to be right, to strive higher and improve everything, to be consistent with their ideals, to justify themselves, to be beyond criticism so as not to be condemned by anyone.
I can't relate to the same degree to type 6, but I know I'm reactive and I also managed to figure out that what i'm looking for in life is very much this, despite not being consciously aware of it:
Type Six in Brief

The committed, security-oriented type. Sixes are reliable, hard-working, responsible, and trustworthy. Excellent "troubleshooters," they foresee problems and foster cooperation, but can also become defensive, evasive, and anxious—running on stress while complaining about it. They can be cautious and indecisive, but also reactive, defiant and rebellious. They typically have problems with self-doubt and suspicion. At their Best: internally stable and self-reliant, courageously championing themselves and others.

Basic Fear: Of being without support and guidance
Basic Desire: To have security and support
Enneagram Six with a Five-Wing: "The Defender"
Enneagram Six with a Seven-Wing: "The Buddy"

Key Motivations: Want to have security, to feel supported by others, to have certitude and reassurance, to test the attitudes of others toward them, to fight against anxiety and insecurity.
<.<...idk about you, but I doubt and question because I need to be certain, I seek outside opinion in order to see if multiple people think the same, then if it seems logical...it will lay my doubts to rest. My reason for looking into the enneagram is also for guidance and support. It explains why I'm stuck here, at point 6-1-4 and what is going on with me. It can also tell me what I need to do to in order to grow. All of that is 6-ish.

The most obvious clues were that I'm reactive and contradictory, that I question and doubt. I however wasn't aware of this in me, others were.

Why do you do it?

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@WakeI can't relate to that either and do exactly what you do, I undo relationships in stead, move on, find something else. The rest of what you wrote is something I can relate to as well. I mistyped as E1 at one point and to be honest I thought I finally found my type back then. Just goes to show how strong the 1 fix is...meh...I dislike its' "rigidity" thou, and consider it something I need to change about myself. (you know integrate it to 7 more).
Well, this Prussian type 6 Naranjo spoke of is something different than the typical 6. I know there is no possibility of being a typical 6 for me. I deal in a way that is very certain. That original post included words from Naranjo about a so-called Prussian 6, which I identify with to a strong degree. The tendency to attach themselves with causes then to lose faith in them and detach from them leading to a desire to understand the world to be independent, and erase all ambiguity to fight for what they believe in. Such ways are nothing like a normal 6, and it would be a 6 who is learns of a need for certainty and how they are to deal with the world concerning causes, and builds themselves around that.

I think the easiest explanation is that I'm a rebellious 1 who has worked to summon up the desire to find what he is looking for and fight for it.

Is it that difficult to look past how you are and see what motivates you to be like this?
No, rigidity is a strong desire to abide by rules from your understanding of the world. I don't perceive ways as rigid, but instead structured.

6s are known to have very heavy consciences, that is the only reason the 1 and 6 are so hard to tell apart. What lead me to the need to abide my conscience is the question, and this Prussian 6 described by Naranjo makes it even tougher. Perhaps it's a myth.

Hmm when looking at the motivations and fears i can relate to E1 about 90%, but all of this is soo INFP-ish. XD well okay I'm not organized lol or orderly. I'm more chaotic and disorganized.
Hehe, you don't show some of the same fears then.

I can't relate to the same degree to type 6, but I know I'm reactive and I also managed to figure out that what i'm looking for in life is very much this, despite not being consciously aware of it:
I've never agreed too much with the 6 descriptions, but I do understand that the type varies heavily due to the variations of dealing with anxiety of the world to a large extent.

<.<...idk about you, but I doubt and question because I need to be certain, I seek outside opinion in order to see if multiple people think the same, then if it seems logical...it will lay my doubts to rest. My reason for looking into the enneagram is also for guidance and support. It explains why I'm stuck here, at point 6-1-4 and what is going on with me. It can also tell me what I need to do to in order to grow. All of that is 6-ish.

The most obvious clues were that I'm reactive and contradictory, that I question and doubt. I however wasn't aware of this in me, others were.

Why do you do it?
I let out anger with relative ease, though I do try to control it into an effect manner, which may or may not actually be effective, but ya.

I try to have faith in my understanding and am aware of the uncertainties in it. I don't bother to ask others unless I don't see something clearly. As I said, I'm certain that I'm not a typical 6 if I were to be a 6.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is what is going on with me. Its different from you. I don't think you are a 6, but you do have a strong 6 fix.

http://personalitycafe.com/type-6-f...hat-going-am-i-counterphobic.html#post2419797
I wasn't referring to CP6, but the Prussian version he speaks of in the audio which I paraphrased for in the OP. I think I was pretty accurate. In the audio he considered CP6s to be SX, and Prussian to be SO. I'm definitely SO, but I don't know if it is that special form of Prussian 6 he refers to or a SO1 who has a desire to always be right and have the higher ground.

I like his take on instinctual variants because it makes for something which differentiates us within our types in the long term without fluctuation, but I'm sure people will take issue with his perspectives.

I think for 6 his version went:
SP - typical phobic 6 who fluctuates to CP on occasion.
SO - Prussian 6 described in OP's first quote.
SX - CP6 who believes the best defense is a great offense.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I wasn't referring to CP6, but the Prussian version he speaks of in the audio which I paraphrased for in the OP. I think I was pretty accurate. In the audio he considered CP6s to be SX, and Prussian to be SO. I'm definitely SO, but I don't know if it is that special form of Prussian 6 he refers to or a SO1 who has a desire to always be right and have the higher ground.

I like his take on instinctual variants because it makes for something which differentiates us within our types in the long term without fluctuation, but I'm sure people will take issue with his perspectives.

I think for 6 his version went:
SP - typical phobic 6 who fluctuates to CP on occasion.
SO - Prussian 6 described in OP's first quote.
SX - CP6 who believes the best defense is a great offense.
:\ idk I'm a mix of phobic (social situations scare me) and counterphobic (mostly everything else). <.<...thou I hate it when I'm wrong and like to have the higher ground...is that really E1 territory? Also don't mind me...think I need a girlfriend. (going crazy here)

^^ in this case, just decide? <.< you are going to be right in the end anyway (according to you that is >) ).

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:\ idk I'm a mix of phobic (social situations scare me) and counterphobic (mostly everything else). <.<...thou I hate it when I'm wrong and like to have the higher ground...is that really E1 territory? Also don't mind me...think I need a girlfriend. (going crazy here)

^^ in this case, just decide? <.< you are going to be right in the end anyway (according to you that is >) ).
I'm going to talk to people on EI forums to try to work out the details of this Prussian 6 figure, but the variation seems to be great enough from typical 6 to come to a good conclusion and not enough writing about it. I'll look through Naranjo's book again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts