Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I’m 90% sure that I’m a Si-Ne user (I’m probably some ISxJ), but I’ve never been sure whether I use Te-Fi or Fe-Ti. I have a better understanding of the feeling functions than the thinking ones, so I’ll discuss those. The thing is, I seem to use both Fe and Fi equally (I know we all use the 8 functions), but the more I dwell on it, the more confused I get. I feel like I do a lot of Fi things, but for Fe reasons, if that makes any sense. I’m definitely self-focused and selfish like a Fi user, but my motivations revolve around very Fe things (approval, connection etc.). Sometimes I think I’m Si-Fi looping, and other times I believe I analyse my emotions and motivations like a Ti user would.

I’m in definite need of some help!

Why I might be a Fi user…
I have difficulty expressing my feelings to others and thus am extremely private with my emotions. When I’m going through something tough, my instinct is to barricade myself in my room, alone (like Elsa from Frozen, who’s Si-Fi looping). The thing is though, I want to express how I feel to others. I think sharing your deepest thoughts and feelings with others is one of the best ways to cultivate connection. I want to feel intimate with others. It’s just that, I have so many inhibitions when it comes expressing feelings. I’m afraid that people will think that I’m weird for feeling the way that I do and abandon me. A lot of my friends are dealing with tough circumstances and I refrain from telling them my ‘trivial’ problems in case I offend them. While I aspire to be expressive with my emotions in the future, it’s definitely my first instinct to run away and hide, like someone in a Si-Fi loop.

I value authenticity and aspire to be myself. But again, I think my motives for wanting to be authentic (a Fi trait) are very Fe reasons. As I’ll discuss later, I’ve been always a bit of a ‘poser’, someone who molds their identity for the approval of others. Approval feels amazing, but after the ‘high’, I was left left feeling as empty as always. How could I feel or understand love, if the ‘love’ I received wasn’t actually directed towards ‘me’? If intimacy and connection are my first priority, then wasn’t I going about achieving those things in a roundabout way? After this epiphany, I resolved to be ‘myself’ as best as I could.

Why I might be a Fe user…
My whole identity and self-concept is informed by the opinion of others. I absorb what others say about me, and subconsciously become the manifestation of their opinions. If someone says I’m cold. I then begin identifying myself as a ‘cold’ person. It’s how I define myself. I deeply care about how I’m perceived by others. Because I’m so affected by the opinions of others, I used to mold my personality around what I thought would yield the most approval. Like, I used to fantasize about people admiring and approving of me. It’s something that I’m definitely trying to change.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll update this post if anything else springs to mind. Thank you :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
The things you explained in Fi is normal and most people experience all that because its more related to your social confidence than Fi/Fe. However, you're most definetly a Fe user because Fe is more attracted to other people's reactions and also finds it difficult to sense ones own emotion like you mentioned above. And so Fe > Fi for you from my observations.

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Yeah, you're Fe. Fi users don't really want to express themselves to others, but are annoyed that they're constantly being pushed to. You're an Fe user for sure. :happy:

·
Registered
363 Posts
A lot of my friends are dealing with tough circumstances and I refrain from telling them my ‘trivial’ problems in case I offend them.
Very Fe reason. You let your self expression aside because of others, you are afraid of hurting them and not hurting your own strings. At first I thought your Te might suffocate your Fi but after I stumbled upon that very sentence it all came out as clear as it could have. Also, a Fi user would not care about defining themselves through the frames of others, their picture would remain just as dark as it was, they already spend enough time figuring themselves out.

I hope that helps you out a bit.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Hey guys. I’m 90% sure that I’m a Si-Ne user (I’m probably some ISxJ), but I’ve never been sure whether I use Te-Fi or Fe-Ti. I have a better understanding of the feeling functions than the thinking ones, so I’ll discuss those. The thing is, I seem to use both Fe and Fi equally (I know we all use the 8 functions), but the more I dwell on it, the more confused I get. I feel like I do a lot of Fi things, but for Fe reasons, if that makes any sense. I’m definitely self-focused and selfish like a Fi user, but my motivations revolve around very Fe things (approval, connection etc.). Sometimes I think I’m Si-Fi looping, and other times I believe I analyse my emotions and motivations like a Ti user would.

I have difficulty expressing my feelings to others and thus am extremely private with my emotions. When I’m going through something tough, my instinct is to barricade myself in my room, alone (like Elsa from Frozen, who’s Si-Fi looping). The thing is though, I want to express how I feel to others. I think sharing your deepest thoughts and feelings with others is one of the best ways to cultivate connection. I want to feel intimate with others. It’s just that, I have so many inhibitions when it comes expressing feelings. I’m afraid that people will think that I’m weird for feeling the way that I do and abandon me. A lot of my friends are dealing with tough circumstances and I refrain from telling them my ‘trivial’ problems in case I offend them. While I aspire to be expressive with my emotions in the future, it’s definitely my first instinct to run away and hide, like someone in a Si-Fi loop.

I value authenticity and aspire to be myself. But again, I think my motives for wanting to be authentic (a Fi trait) are very Fe reasons. As I’ll discuss later, I’ve been always a bit of a ‘poser’, someone who molds their identity for the approval of others. Approval feels amazing, but after the ‘high’, I was left left feeling as empty as always. How could I feel or understand love, if the ‘love’ I received wasn’t actually directed towards ‘me’? If intimacy and connection are my first priority, then wasn’t I going about achieving those things in a roundabout way? After this epiphany, I resolved to be ‘myself’ as best as I could.

My whole identity and self-concept is informed by the opinion of others. I absorb what others say about me, and subconsciously become the manifestation of their opinions. If someone says I’m cold. I then begin identifying myself as a ‘cold’ person. It’s how I define myself. I deeply care about how I’m perceived by others. Because I’m so affected by the opinions of others, I used to mold my personality around what I thought would yield the most approval. Like, I used to fantasize about people admiring and approving of me. It’s something that I’m definitely trying to change.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll update this post if anything else springs to mind. Thank you :)
As a Fi inferior, the way you describe your view of Fi is very similar to how it works for me.

When I experience intense feelings, I tend to withdraw (introverted F) to deal with it personally. By contrast, all Fe users I know expand outwards when they experience intense feelings (extroverted F). They want to share their feelings with others to confirm the feelings are right (the same way extroverted Te looks outside the self to confirm logic). Fi users (or at least Fi-inferior) want to step back from others and deal with their emotions on a private level; they are less, if at all, concerned with whether or not others approve of their feelings. They tend to see feelings as private matters that are beholden to no one.

This especially happens in conflicts that are heavily emotional. Fe keeps demanding to talk it out and reach a point of emotional "harmony." Fi tends to say "it's none of your business how I feel. I'll deal with it on my own."

That said, that doesn't mean Fi doesn't want to share the intensity of their feelings. Oftentimes I wish I could show people the intensity of what I'm feeling-- something I've found no words can express. I want people to "get it" and understand the sheer depth of feeling I experience.

The need to be understood is not related to MBTI type. Fi and Fe types both want to be understood on an emotional level (everyone wants someone to get them). But Fe looks outwards emotionally, Fi looks inwards.

As to your struggle with identity...I don't think that's Fe or Fi related. I think that has to do with struggling to know who you are. I went through the same thing a couple years back, when I identified myself solely on the basis of how others described me. It messed me up for awhile. I would argue it's more a period of unconscious experimenting with self identity than Fe/Fi related.

If you're interested, you might want to check out the enneagram type three. That might have some insights on the "I am what others see me as" aspect of yourself.

Reactions: owlet

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

Now I think in general all introverts can have difficulty expressing themselves. Same for people with social anxiety issues.

Also Fi is not as concerned with others think about how they feel. Fi doesn't want to express it's feelings because they are private and probably very difficult to explain to another person. You taking others into consideration to decided if it is appropriate to express your feelings is more likely Fe than Fi.

If you think your motivation may be Fe, perhaps it is Fe?
Even though you are being more true to yourself are you still looking for the approval from others?

This sounds very much like Fe.

A few more questions.
How aware are you of social roles (say mother, daughter, teacher, student, boss, rebel, etc.) and how aware are you of the social dynamics between these roles (a student will behave differently around their friends compared to a teacher)?

Do you identify people and yourself as belonging to any of these social roles?

Are you more concerned with what you want as being right, or what is appropriate as being right?

Do you find it easier to understand your feelings if you can bounce them off someone or do you often know how you feel?

If you were to decorating a room, would you pay more attention to make it comfortable and welcoming to others, or decorate it to your unique tastes and personalize it (no matter how quirky this ay be)?

Also in what ways do you think you are very self focused and selfish?

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Very Fe reason. You let your self expression aside because of others, you are afraid of hurting them and not hurting your own strings. At first I thought your Te might suffocate your Fi but after I stumbled upon that very sentence it all came out as clear as it could have. Also, a Fi user would not care about defining themselves through the frames of others, their picture would remain just as dark as it was, they already spend enough time figuring themselves out.

I hope that helps you out a bit.
This strikes me more as a self-esteem issue than a Fe/Fi one.

They're not seeking emotional harmony, they're devaluing their own problems in the face of perceived "bigger" problems.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
The identity talk is very Fi. Especially "It's how I define myself." You have a lot more signs of Fi than Fe.

I think you're an F auxiliary with strong use of a shadow function.

·
Registered
363 Posts
This strikes me more as a self-esteem issue than a Fe/Fi one.

They're not seeking emotional harmony, they're devaluing their own problems in the face of perceived "bigger" problems.
Hmmmm, it could be indeed. But what also seems to polish my idea is that she mentions this:

The thing is though, I want to express how I feel to others. I think sharing your deepest thoughts and feelings with others is one of the best ways to cultivate connection. I want to feel intimate with others. It’s just that, I have so many inhibitions when it comes expressing feelings. I’m afraid that people will think that I’m weird for feeling the way that I do and abandon me.
She still tends to take the opinion of others as a definition for the depth of her feelings and at the expense of herself, she is drawn to being afraid of separation. However, acceptance is a thing Fi always seeks, she does not change her ways for the love of others and together with anxiety and low self confidence it could be a good sign of Fi. (even though the self confidence part could be an expression of low Ti). She also seems to be very aware of her feelings. Maaaaaaaaaaybe, I messed up my interpretation indeed.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'm commenting as I read, so sorry if there's a bit of jumping around.

I feel like I do a lot of Fi things, but for Fe reasons, if that makes any sense.
If that's true, then it's more likely that you prefer Fe. But continuing--

I’m definitely self-focused and selfish like a Fi user, but my motivations revolve around very Fe things (approval, connection etc.).
Eh, Fi-users can be selfish, but I'd avoid primarily characterizing them like that. A lot of people associate a desire for approval or affirmation with Fe, and I think it is a decent indicator for it. I'm sure Fi-users desire to be accepted - who likes to feel lonely? - but I don't think I've ever met an Fe-user who was more-or-less okay without some kind of external validation, to the point where they will often modify themselves (if only slightly) to be more in accordance with someone else's value/opinion/belief if their original position wasn't already.

Sometimes I think I’m Si-Fi looping, and other times I believe I analyse my emotions and motivations like a Ti user would.
What makes you think this? The Si-Fi looping bit in particular.

Sounds like lower-order Fe. I know INTPs tend to have this problem, what with their inferior Fe (I assume ISTPs would too, but I have little experience with them so I can't confidently say they do).

Valuing authenticity is itself not really indicative of either Fi or Fe, even though it's usually attributed to Fi. I have honestly never met an inauthentic Fe-user (on the other hand, FJs tend to try to mirror my directness...); simply adjusting according to the social environment doesn't make Fe-users any less authentic than Fi-users. It's not like it's something done by choice - that's just who we are. Would you call a tree that changes according to the season any less authentic than an evergreen tree?

I would attribute your last two statements to the universally applicable process of self-discovery. Actually, from my experience Fe-users tend to battle with the questions you posed more than Fi-users (who generally naturally know who they are) because there's an impulse to be true to oneself, but sometimes Fe-users (FJs in particular, I think; TPs' preference for Ti over Fe gives them a stronger sense of self removed from other people) have trouble identifying what exactly that self is.

Again, a lot of this sounds like Fe. Not as sure about lower order now though.

Yeah, I think it's unlikely that an Fi-user would say something like this. Although, I'm moving away from my previous thought of lower-order Fe. From what I gather, INTPs (+ISTPs?) tend to have a much tenser relationship with their manifestations of Fe than you seem to (the younger ones, anyway) and are usually far more resistant to changing themselves to match the whims of others on account of their Ti dominance. You actually remind me of my ISFJ friend, which is incidentally what I suspect for you.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Hmmmm, it could be indeed. But what also seems to polish my idea is that she mentions this:

She still tends to take the opinion of others as a definition for the depth of her feelings and at the expense of herself, she is drawn to being afraid of separation. However, acceptance is a thing Fi always seeks, she does not change her ways for the love of others and together with anxiety and low self confidence it could be a good sign of Fi. (even though the self confidence part could be an expression of low Ti). She also seems to be very aware of her feelings. Maaaaaaaaaaybe, I messed up my interpretation indeed.
Call me crazy, but that sentence seems more Fi to me. Sort of along the lines you paint.

The OP clearly has feelings that differ from others, but rather than seeking to understand why her feelings don't align with the others' (Fe seeks value judgment harmony), she wonders if people won't accept her feelings as they are (indication she has no intention to find harmony or balance between her feelings and how others feel; rather, there's a fear of personal feelings not being accepted in their current state).

The OP doesn't have dynamic expression of her personal feelings; her feelings seem static and pre-determined. It's how those feelings will be received by the group in their static state (going back to self-esteem and basic need for social acceptance) that worries her.

Reactions: AdInfinitum

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for your input :) I'll answer those questions for more info.

How aware are you of social roles (say mother, daughter, teacher, student, boss, rebel, etc.) and how aware are you of the social dynamics between these roles (a student will behave differently around their friends compared to a teacher)?

Yes, I’m very aware of what is socially appropriate, and what’s expected from me. I deliberately censor at lot of what I want to say so I don’t offending other people and ‘morph’ into what is expected of me. I’m not very good at it though.

I’ve been reading everyone’s responses and as you all suspect, yes I do have low self-esteem. A lot of it has to do with social roles. Somehow, I’ve internalized this idea of how I ‘should’ be, and for the most part, that ‘should’ has been informed by social roles and standards. I berate myself when I fall short of social standards (like when I’m trying to comfort someone, and I don’t think I’m being ‘warm’ enough). I hope that makes sense.

Yes. Amongst my friendship group, I play the ‘therapist’. I’m the one who gives advice and tries to facilitate self-awareness and growth amongst my friends. I’m the one who everyone gravitates towards when something profound has happened in their life and they need help with something. It’s definitely someone I enjoy playing ☺

Are you more concerned with what you want as being right, or what is appropriate as being right?
Hmm, I don’t quite understand this question. Could you explain it a bit more.

Do you find it easier to understand your feelings if you can bounce them off someone or do you often know how you feel?
I often know what I’m feeling when I’m alone (in terms of identifying the sensation), but I have trouble putting it into words or understanding why I feel things unless I discuss it with someone. Does that make sense?

If you were to decorating a room, would you pay more attention to make it comfortable and welcoming to others, or decorate it to your unique tastes and personalize it (no matter how quirky this ay be)?
Definitely personal tastes.

In the situation where I have to choose between the benefit of myself and other people, I will always choose other people. So, on a surface level, I look like a very ‘selfless’ person. But half of the time I don’t have my heart in those kinds of decision. I self sacrifice because it’s what’s expected of me, and because I don’t want to feel guiltily. So ultimately, I am concerned more with myself than other people,

·
Registered
INTP 874 sx/sp VLEF melancholic
17,126 Posts
As a Fi inferior, the way you describe your view of Fi is very similar to how it works for me.

When I experience intense feelings, I tend to withdraw (introverted F) to deal with it personally. By contrast, all Fe users I know expand outwards when they experience intense feelings (extroverted F). They want to share their feelings with others to confirm the feelings are right (the same way extroverted Te looks outside the self to confirm logic). Fi users (or at least Fi-inferior) want to step back from others and deal with their emotions on a private level; they are less, if at all, concerned with whether or not others approve of their feelings. They tend to see feelings as private matters that are beholden to no one.

This especially happens in conflicts that are heavily emotional. Fe keeps demanding to talk it out and reach a point of emotional "harmony." Fi tends to say "it's none of your business how I feel. I'll deal with it on my own."

That said, that doesn't mean Fi doesn't want to share the intensity of their feelings. Oftentimes I wish I could show people the intensity of what I'm feeling-- something I've found no words can express. I want people to "get it" and understand the sheer depth of feeling I experience.

The need to be understood is not related to MBTI type. Fi and Fe types both want to be understood on an emotional level (everyone wants someone to get them). But Fe looks outwards emotionally, Fi looks inwards.

As to your struggle with identity...I don't think that's Fe or Fi related. I think that has to do with struggling to know who you are. I went through the same thing a couple years back, when I identified myself solely on the basis of how others described me. It messed me up for awhile. I would argue it's more a period of unconscious experimenting with self identity than Fe/Fi related.

If you're interested, you might want to check out the enneagram type three. That might have some insights on the "I am what others see me as" aspect of yourself.
I would have to disagree with you. If we used two functions, sure. But as an ISFJ, I definitely do the isolation thing. Like Elsa, I lock myself in my room because I'm afraid of myself. I don't want to affect others in a way that I'm not in direct control with. So when im depressed I choose isolation and figuring out my problems with my Ti. It's an Si-Ti loop and it's similar to Si-Fi loops. Except Si-Ti is very cold to the self in its isolation, a bit like Jesus on the cross. Si-Fi falls victim to the satisfaction of isolation but Si-Ti isn't satisfied but instead constantly seeks change. Even when flooding your mind with a mantra "for the greater good", Si-Ti will crumble when they realize that they can't be true to themselves around others. The solution is to love yourself as an equal to others. And to seek a place to actually fit in.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I would have to disagree with you. If we used two functions, sure. But as an ISFJ, I definitely do the isolation thing. Like Elsa, I lock myself in my room because I'm afraid of myself. I don't want to affect others in a way that I'm not in direct control with. So when im depressed I choose isolation and figuring out my problems with my Ti. It's an Si-Ti loop and it's similar to Si-Fi loops. Except Si-Ti is very cold to the self in its isolation, a bit like Jesus on the cross. Si-Fi falls victim to the satisfaction of isolation but Si-Ti isn't satisfied but instead constantly seeks change. Even when flooding your mind with a mantra "for the greater good", Si-Ti will crumble when they realize that they can't be true to themselves around others. The solution is to love yourself as an equal to others. And to seek a place to actually fit in.
Thanks for adding.

It's interesting to note how you seek isolation as a way of not affecting others. It's that mindfulness thing that I think is definitely more of a Fe trait.

Really good clarification; I'm not a Fe user so I don't always get it right. Thanks again for adding your perspective.

Reactions: Purrfessor

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Thanks for your input :) I'll answer those questions for more info.

Yes, I’m very aware of what is socially appropriate, and what’s expected from me. I deliberately censor at lot of what I want to say so I don’t offending other people and ‘morph’ into what is expected of me. I’m not very good at it though.

I’ve been reading everyone’s responses and as you all suspect, yes I do have low self-esteem. A lot of it has to do with social roles. Somehow, I’ve internalized this idea of how I ‘should’ be, and for the most part, that ‘should’ has been informed by social roles and standards. I berate myself when I fall short of social standards (like when I’m trying to comfort someone, and I don’t think I’m being ‘warm’ enough). I hope that makes sense.
I think being aware of and being apart of social roles indicates Fe.

Yes. Amongst my friendship group, I play the ‘therapist’. I’m the one who gives advice and tries to facilitate self-awareness and growth amongst my friends. I’m the one who everyone gravitates towards when something profound has happened in their life and they need help with something. It’s definitely someone I enjoy playing ☺
That idea of fulfilling a role and having it define you, that to me is Fe.

Hmm, I don’t quite understand this question. Could you explain it a bit more.
I think you answered this in the last question :)

I often know what I’m feeling when I’m alone (in terms of identifying the sensation), but I have trouble putting it into words or understanding why I feel things unless I discuss it with someone. Does that make sense?
I think identifying the sensations may just be your emotional response.
sharing your feelings to understand them may indicate Fe.

Definitely personal tastes.
I see this more as an Fi thing here. Expressing yourself and who you are in your own way.

In the situation where I have to choose between the benefit of myself and other people, I will always choose other people. So, on a surface level, I look like a very ‘selfless’ person. But half of the time I don’t have my heart in those kinds of decision. I self sacrifice because it’s what’s expected of me, and because I don’t want to feel guiltily. So ultimately, I am concerned more with myself than other people,
I think this may indicate Fe over Fi. Fi pays attention to what it desires/wants/finds agreeable. Ultimately it wants it's heart to be in the right place in those kind of decisions.

I think for Fe it isn't always about what they want deep down, what feels like the right thing to do depends on the role they play, what is appropriate, these external standards.

This is just my take, I could very well have misinterpreted something so don't take it as absolute truth :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts