Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an INTP, and I've wondered which Enneagram type I could be. There's 8, 5, 6, 1.. quite a few that apply to me.

Here's why I think 1 applies to me:

-Growing up I was a short guy. I was good looking, smart and everything, just short. I had these intuitions of "If I was tall, I'd be perfect" quite a lot. I did grow quite a bit at 17, thankfully. I'm 19 now.

-I have these obsessive ideas of perfection. In my vacation, I've had to go for class from 6-7 in the evenings. I constantly think how perfect the vacation could be without that class. Many times, I'll adjust classes such that half of the week is absolutely free and half has double the studies, so at least I can know that that half of the week is a perfect vacation.

I don't know if this is my INTP mind and work, or if I'm just a perfectionist INTP. I have the alertness that 6s have and a few 8 traits. I highly doubt I'm a 5 like most INTPs. Although I'd love mastery or completely knowledge, what I seek is complete perfection.

It's been impossible to type my Enneagram. Help.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Do you have self-critical tendencies? Enneagram 1's perfectionism usually extends to the self in an even stronger fashion, and we can be virulently perfectionistic with ourselves sometimes.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Do you have self-critical tendencies? Enneagram 1's perfectionism usually extends to the self in an even stronger fashion, and we can be virulently perfectionistic with ourselves sometimes.
I'd second that observation, we're much harder on ourselves than we are on others.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Deadmanrising

When you make choices, is it influenced by the gut and your emotions, or is it more of a cerebral choice?

Also what are your motivations in life? What drives you?
It's cerebral and gut, sometimes an awkward combination of both. I do have a strong perfectionist tendency, but I've realized and accepted that perfection can't be achieved, so I build my own idea of perfection and work around it. Not even I know my own true personality as deep as I want to.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Oh also.. I can't stand moles on people. Not even the big ugly hairy ones, even normal ones. I don't know if this is perfectionist or what.
@Deadmanrising

LOL! They can be CANCEROUS, EVIL MOLES. I don't like them either they kind of freak me out. One time I accidentally tore a mole off my mother when we were play fighting and it was one of the most disturbing experiences I've ever had happen (didn't even know I was touching it, it happened while she had a shirt on so I had no clue).

Do you have a drive to help others or do you prefer to be more withdrawn and laid-back?

Also who is your worst enemy- yourself or other people?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Deadmanrising

LOL! They can be CANCEROUS, EVIL MOLES. I don't like them either they kind of freak me out. One time I accidentally tore a mole off my mother when we were play fighting and it was one of the most disturbing experiences I've ever had happen (didn't even know I was touching it, it happened while she had a shirt on so I had no clue).

Do you have a drive to help others or do you prefer to be more withdrawn and laid-back?

Also who is your worst enemy- yourself or other people?

No, I don't mean ones that pop out. Even the ones that are flat and tiny.. they look like stains on clean clothes.

No, I don't care about helping others. I point out imperfections, but that could just be Ti.

Me although I think it's other people, or both.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The INTP might have trouble typing themselves because 'so many possibilities'. lol

To distinguish between an 8 and a 1 - ask yourself, what triggers aggression?

Between a 5 and a 1 - why do you learn?

The 6 verses the 1 - how do you relate to rules?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sometimes it helps to read up on types with the wings included to see if you relate.

Also, how do you relate to fear? And what are you afraid of?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Between a 5 and a 1 - why do you learn?
This. Also, I've found that, as a core 1, the question "Why do you want to make things better?" is utterly unanswerable. It's absolutely absurd to ask, in my opinion. The only answer I have is "Why the hell doesn't EVERYONE want to make things better?" It's like someone asking me why I breathe. Sure, I could find a way to phrase an answer, but why on earth would any other human need me to phrase an answer to such a silly question?

·
Registered
144 Posts
INTP and enneagram 1 is confusing to me...

How does that work?

I score as INTP but them I'm like uhhhm if I'm a 1 (which I'm certain I am), wouldn't that make me an INFJ or something?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
INTP and enneagram 1 is confusing to me...

How does that work?

I score as INTP but them I'm like uhhhm if I'm a 1 (which I'm certain I am), wouldn't that make me an INFJ or something?
1's aren't always J types! There most definitely is a correlation between more common MBTI types and Enneagram types, but I wouldn't discount one because of the other.

MBTI relates to cognitive processes; how one takes in and understands the world. Enneagram, on the other hand, is more about the why; why is one motivated to act, and what is one's core fear/motivation.

An INTP 1 would likely pursue that end goal of perfection (1's motivation) in an INTP-ish way; likely scattered and analytical and constantly rationalizing and tweaking what "perfect" means to you. Not all 1's seek perfection in terms of one's physical organization-- that's more of an sp trait anyways-- and you can be wonderfully Perceiving and still meet all the qualifications for an E1. Like I said, it's all about how you process that core motivation.

·
Registered
144 Posts
1's aren't always J types! There most definitely is a correlation between more common MBTI types and Enneagram types, but I wouldn't discount one because of the other.

MBTI relates to cognitive processes; how one takes in and understands the world. Enneagram, on the other hand, is more about the why; why is one motivated to act, and what is one's core fear/motivation.

An INTP 1 would likely pursue that end goal of perfection (1's motivation) in an INTP-ish way; likely scattered and analytical and constantly rationalizing and tweaking what "perfect" means to you. Not all 1's seek perfection in terms of one's physical organization-- that's more of an sp trait anyways-- and you can be wonderfully Perceiving and still meet all the qualifications for an E1. Like I said, it's all about how you process that core motivation.
Wow, well said! I appreciate this post. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm either a 1 or a 6.

Reasons for being a 1:
-Big ideas of perfectionism. Not so much now, but most incomplete things used to make me wonder "this would be perfect if <x> and <x> was added".
-Highly critical of myself.
-Makes fake personas sometimes, losing my true self.

Reasons proving otherwise:
-In today's world, perfectionism is big with the influence movies have. The perfect guy, perfect girl etc gets to people, although I don't think something like that would ever get to me, which makes me think I might be a 1.
-All INTPs are critical, and like accuracy to understand the core logic which is kind of like seeking perfection.
-INTPs edit their personalities to fit sometimes. The Chameleon Effect is apparently not uncommon among us.

When one of my close relatives died, I wasn't only grieving for his loss but also the fact that our family was "incomplete". The perfect "complete" family was lost and couldn't be replaced.

I'm either a 1 or a 6.

Also:
Unhealthy 1s behave like 4s, or so Wikipedia says. Unhealthy 1s can tend to "overuse imagination in search of self" and during particularly dark periods I have definitely done that.. a LOT. But then again... INTPs are kings of introspection since we live in our minds.

Somebody halp me... :c

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I also fit Enneagram 6 WAY too well, which makes me wonder if I'm an Enneagram 9 that's unhealthy. In my very healthy mental states (I think 10 years ago or so) I was quite peaceful, didn't like conflicts etc. Kind of a kid that hoped nobody fought. Am I really an Enneagram 9 that behaves like a 6? Yeah, that makes much more sense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts