Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep flip flopping. I heard that INTPs aren't very social or tend to come off as shy, and I don't think that I'm shy. However, I prefer to spend time alone and any prolonged social activity makes me feel trapped. I know for sure that I'm definitely XNTP. Please provide me with your much appreciated input.

·
Registered
ENTP 7w6 so/sp
3,078 Posts
I feel drained after but I enjoy social interaction with people I like.
Based on that, you're probably an INTP over an ENTP.
Also if your Ti is more developed than your Ne and your Si is more developed than your Fe, that signifies INTP over ENTP.

As an ENTP, I can be misanthropic. However, it's not because I'm drained by social interaction, rather I want to avoid undesirable/boring situations. Most people are admittedly not that interesting..

·
Registered
251 Posts
Introverts are not aliens. We are still human, which means we like being with people and talking to people we like. BUT those are activities that will drain our energy and we can't do that for long periods of time without getting really tired and stressed.

If you want to know if you're an INTP, I suggest you read this.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Introverts are not aliens. We are still human, which means we like being with people and talking to people we like. BUT those are activities that will drain our energy and we can't do that for long periods of time without getting really tired and stressed.

If you want to know if you're an INTP, I suggest you read this.
Oh wow this was very useful. I can definitely identify with a lot of it. I wish there was an equally comprehensive one for ENTP so I can make sure I'm being right. It's funny because when I did the official mbti in high school I got INTP, but after I went to university overseas I forced myself to be extroverted and when I got back into the theory I kept flip lopping back and force. Then again I would think I'm not an introvert because I actually sometimes get paid to present in front of hundreds of people and I don't get nervous about it or anything. I actually somewhat like it in the sense that I can just talk without being interrupted haha.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Based on that, you're probably an INTP over an ENTP.
Also if your Ti is more developed than your Ne and your Si is more developed than your Fe, that signifies INTP over ENTP.

As an ENTP, I can be misanthropic. However, it's not because I'm drained by social interaction, rather I want to avoid undesirable/boring situations. Most people are admittedly not that interesting..
Function wise I get INTP but when it is by letter I get ENTP with E slightly overpowering I.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Oh wow this was very useful. I can definitely identify with a lot of it. I wish there was an equally comprehensive one for ENTP so I can make sure I'm being right. It's funny because when I did the official mbti in high school I got INTP, but after I went to university overseas I forced myself to be extroverted and when I got back into the theory I kept flip lopping back and force. Then again I would think I'm not an introvert because I actually sometimes get paid to present in front of hundreds of people and I don't get nervous about it or anything. I actually somewhat like it in the sense that I can just talk without being interrupted haha.
That article is amazing indeed. The guy who wrote that is an INTP. It's a shame he didn't do the same for every other type.

I understand. 7 years ago I was a turtle living in my shell and almost dying every time I had to talk to someone. Nowadays I'm still shy and "anti-social", but I'm much more extrovert than I was before. Even as introverts we can still be funny and engage into social activities like anyone else and be very extrovert-like. I wish I was like you and I could talk in front of a lot of people. That's just something I can't do. :laughing:

Well, good luck on your journey to find out what you are. Have you considered being an ambivert? I don't know if that's the case and I don't know anything about ambiverts, but this thread might help you out.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That article is amazing indeed. The guy who wrote that is an INTP. It's a shame he didn't do the same for every other type.

I understand. 7 years ago I was a turtle living in my shell and almost dying every time I had to talk to someone. Nowadays I'm still shy and "anti-social", but I'm much more extrovert than I was before. Even as introverts we can still be funny and engage into social activities like anyone else and be very extrovert-like. I wish I was like you and I could talk in front of a lot of people. That's just something I can't do. :laughing:

Well, good luck on your journey to find out what you are. Have you considered being an ambivert? I don't know if that's the case and I don't know anything about ambiverts, but this thread might help you out.
I guess it's also really difficult because I don't think I've met any other female that could've been an ENTP or an INTP. However if the compatibility thing I've seen about ESTJ and ENTJ being attracted to INTPs it would explain all the crazy ESTJs in my life. It's interesting for sure. I've read about being an ambivert but I think I force myself into being an extrovert, I even convinced myself that I would enjoy doing marketing and once I realized how much social interaction is in it I ran away and started working in a psych lab as a research assistant, the only business student there haha. But thank you for helping realize I might have been lying to myself saying I'm an ENTP ;-;

·
Registered
251 Posts
I guess it's also really difficult because I don't think I've met any other female that could've been an ENTP or an INTP. However if the compatibility thing I've seen about ESTJ and ENTJ being attracted to INTPs it would explain all the crazy ESTJs in my life. It's interesting for sure. I've read about being an ambivert but I think I force myself into being an extrovert, I even convinced myself that I would enjoy doing marketing and once I realized how much social interaction is in it I ran away and started working in a psych lab as a research assistant, the only business student there haha. But thank you for helping realize I might have been lying to myself saying I'm an ENTP ;-;
Aw, you're welcome. :kitteh:

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
Extroverts can be shy, and nervous around people. I am an extrovert, definitely, but I'm often nervous and anxious with people (not necessarily shy, but can be.)

It's just that I get energy from interacting.

I relate a lot to INTPs as well, especially with certain behaviours, but, I am more breadth and idea-focused, whereas they go more in depth and complete their ideas.

INTPs can focus on the details and make sure not to make mistakes, keep things in line, if they want to. ENTPs can have difficulty with that. ENTPs can be charming and accomodating to others (if they want to be)

Taken from Doctorjuice, lol.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Extroverts can be shy, and nervous around people. I am an extrovert, definitely, but I'm often nervous and anxious with people (not necessarily shy, but can be.)

It's just that I get energy from interacting.
How would you describe said energy? Like do you feel happy or excited? I'm having a hard time determining what that means.

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
How would you describe said energy? Like do you feel happy or excited? I'm having a hard time determining what that means.
It's not about feeling happy or excited, necessarily, although I guess it could be equated to that. I think of it more as, it seems to be a breath of fresh air, it helps me to get more ideas, it makes my brain work best, if that makes any sense?

I feel like when I'm alone and not exposed to people, my brain gets sluggish, like it's losing fuel. I can be alone for long periods of time, don't get me wrong, but I am much healthier when I am with people. Even if I need time to process things alone, that's not really a recharge as much as it is sorting things out.

Whereas for introverts, I would imagine that they need to get that alone time to be healthy, and to refill their fuel tanks.

Then it's complicated further by internet usage-- Is communicating over said devices 'socializing' in an extroverted fashion ? Hum.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's not about feeling happy or excited, necessarily, although I guess it could be equated to that. I think of it more as, it seems to be a breath of fresh air, it helps me to get more ideas, it makes my brain work best, if that makes any sense?

I feel like when I'm alone and not exposed to people, my brain gets sluggish, like it's losing fuel.
Hmm that's interesting. Do you find that you like working in groups or with people?

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
Hmm that's interesting. Do you find that you like working in groups or with people?
Sometimes, but not always.

I prefer a more distant relationship with people, generally, where I can bounce my ideas off of them without any interference to my autonomy. People like to upset me with structure sometimes-- I don't like to have walls built around me.

It helps if they have similar goals and/or methods. If they can work with my chaos, then I usually relish those kinds of connections.

I think my favourite situations with people involve being in school, in a lecture hall, where you can have discussions with people across the room and get into arguments, slip jokes under the door, laugh about tangents and things that could seem outside of context.

I'd enjoy being a professor for this reason, and am moving towards that as a goal.

I have no problems being in front of people, either. I feel like I work better in a group than I do with just a few people, because with a group, people are thinking less of you as an individual, and more about your ideas and thoughts.

I'm not sure if I explained this cogently, but I am happy to clarify.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts