Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble figuring out whether I'm introverted or extroverted. For the past year or so, I thought I was an ISTP, but quite often I find myself not relating at all to things other ISTPs say. Especially things about needing a lot of time alone, or time to think and analyze and process information.

I can spend weeks on end at home and not go crazy, yet last month I went to a two week summer camp where I was surrounded by people almost every waking moment, and I didn't get over-stressed. I really enjoyed it and I think I was more energized after going than before. I can be talkative, but I can also be quiet and listen. Sometimes I like being the center of attention, sometimes I'm content being a wallflower. It just depends on my mood.

I've thought about it from a functions perspective (but I don't know that much about them, unfortunately.) I know I have Se and Ti, but I'm not sure in which order. Same with Ni and Fe. I'm not sure which of the two I use less. I can be quite emotionally expressive, which is atypical for ISTPs. I smile a lot when engaging in conversation, things like that. I'm not sure how I use Ni, mostly because I don't really understand that one. I daydream quite a lot, but I don't really think about theories or whatever.

I can't think of anything else to add at the moment, but feel free to ask a question if you think the answer will make it easier for you to type me! Thanks a lot to anyone who can help. :)

Reactions: Annwuzhere

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hmm...I'm not sure...perhaps you're an ambivert. (both introverted and extroverted)

Why not take a questionnaire? Maybe that will help.

By the way, are you a Game of Thrones fan? Your username makes me think you might be :happy:

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Hard to tell from just that lol.
A lot of ESTP (i've dated a few and am friends with a lot of them) can have a very laid back, introverted feel to them. Most were like you stated actually; being able to spend a long time alone and self-entertain themselves without people as well as be with a lot of people for a long amount of time without feeling as drained as some introverts might.
As for the ISTP (I've met 2, officially) but they weren't like this as much. They were generally very up in their thoughts and only enjoyed speaking (kept conversation going for longer than a minute) about their specific topics of interesting (typically involving some sort of machinery (computers, engines, etc) though I'm sure it's not limited to this). Most of them didn't really find much interest in the general socializing aspect.
Again though, not all that much info. From what you've written I'd lean kind of towards ESTP

(and for whatever it's worth, probably not much, but your enneagram is also a lot more common in ESTP than ISTP. that probably might not mean much though).

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm...I'm not sure...perhaps you're an ambivert. (both introverted and extroverted)

Why not take a questionnaire? Maybe that will help.

By the way, are you a Game of Thrones fan? Your username makes me think you might be :happy:
I don't care enough to fill out a whole questionnaire haha. It's possible that I'm an ambivert, but I'd rather figure out specifically which type I am.

And yes! I'm a huge GoT/ASOIAF fan. :p

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hard to tell from just that lol.
A lot of ESTP (i've dated a few and am friends with a lot of them) can have a very laid back, introverted feel to them. Most were like you stated actually; being able to spend a long time alone and self-entertain themselves without people as well as be with a lot of people for a long amount of time without feeling as drained as some introverts might.
As for the ISTP (I've met 2, officially) but they weren't like this as much. They were generally very up in their thoughts and only enjoyed speaking (kept conversation going for longer than a minute) about their specific topics of interesting (typically involving some sort of machinery (computers, engines, etc) though I'm sure it's not limited to this). Most of them didn't really find much interest in the general socializing aspect.
Again though, not all that much info. From what you've written I'd lean kind of towards ESTP
Thank you for your reply! It was pretty helpful.

I've tried using my step-dad for reference since we are almost exactly the same in personality, but he's also close to the middle on the E/I scale. *sigh*

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Try these if you so please:

Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

Jungian Cognitive Functions Test

Might point in some direction.

Especially things about needing a lot of time alone, or time to think and analyze and process information.

That could indeed point towards extroversion. Many over-estimate how introverted they are. I mean you're writing to an internet forum on personality theory, while a ton of the world is probably out going on hikes or doing something else. (Not to say you can't do both - but you know what I mean;)

Also, you can be extroverted without wanting to be around people, by the cognitive functions theory. You'd still look outward for stimulation in some sense more than inward, your comfort would still be plenty outward.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts