Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm pretty sure I'm an INFJ, but I want to see what anyone else thinks. Reasons I think I am an INFJ:

Ni really speaks to me: This function...I love it. It is one I really identify with. Ni to me is a subconscious process that gathers information that the user has been exposed to and stores it. It has this magical ability to take bits and pieces of info and put them together for you, sometimes in the form of a sharp image. It just needs something to stimulate this sudden convergence of information. I think I am using this because I can skip ahead and immediately get what someone is talking about and is going to talk about by just hearing a few words. I get "told" with sudden images that appear in my mind. Everything is interconnected. Or when learning something I collect bits and pieces and then suddenly some new info creates a strong feeling in me and lets me understand a topic much better, it's like I connected everything automatically after that one new piece of info, that one stimuli was enough to get from the draft to the clearer picture. But I only get the final image / result...exactly how the connections happened I have to think about and I usually have idea yet I feel it won't be the entire explanation. It's very energizing to get this feeling.

Fe: I'll admit I'm no expert when it comes to this function, but I do think I use it. I have always been very expressive and I love showing passion and emotion when speaking. I have a very animated face which makes it hard to hide how I feel. Unless I'm really fatigued..then I'll just seem cold haha. I'm easily affected by the moods of the people around me. I get energized by a happy mood, people's positive and happy mood energizes me. I find it hard not to care about people's problems because I feel it's my duty to help them and I sometimes automatically get the same feeling that they give off. Hmm...what else...I have always been attracted to people who show they're passionate, who are expressive when speaking, who show emotion when speaking. I get sort of annoyed by people who have an expressionless face when speaking, like they're bored or something or have no feelings (I know of course that this is not true!). I think if people can just bother to understand one another then we'll all live more harmoniously, because it's (generally) easier to respect that which you understand.

I know I am an introvert as my primary focus is on my own thoughts and my own inner world. That's my preference and it has been all my life I think.
I can now conclude that, although I can relate somewhat to most other functions too, I am an INFJ

Question: Something that is difficult to tell is if I'm using Fi more than Fe. I am religious and build my life around my religion, so I have trained myself to check any decision I make with my religion, as it involves most aspects of life. Though I don't decide what's right and wrong based on how I feel. I look for an objective way of doing so, through religion, research, etc. In other words, I don't trust myself as I trust the opinions of others, because I know others can have more knowledge and I know I am prone to mistakes, so I believe decisions should be made using the best resources and not primarily how I feel / or what I think.

·
Registered
169 Posts
So I'm pretty sure I'm an INFJ, but I want to see what anyone else thinks. Reasons I think I am an INFJ:

Ni really speaks to me: This function...I love it. It is one I really identify with. Ni to me is a subconscious process that gathers information that the user has been exposed to and stores it. It has this magical ability to take bits and pieces of info and put them together for you, sometimes in the form of a sharp image. It just needs something to stimulate this sudden convergence of information. I think I am using this because I can skip ahead and immediately get what someone is talking about and is going to talk about by just hearing a few words. I get "told" with sudden images that appear in my mind. Everything is interconnected. Or when learning something I collect bits and pieces and then suddenly some new info creates a strong feeling in me and lets me understand a topic much better, it's like I connected everything automatically after that one new piece of info, that one stimuli was enough to get from the draft to the clearer picture. But I only get the final image / result...exactly how the connections happened I have to think about and I usually have idea yet I feel it won't be the entire explanation. It's very energizing to get this feeling.
Sounds a lot like Ni to me! What I will say though is that as you read more and continue to introspect you'll probably find Ni is nowhere near as magical and subconscious as people say. A metaphor I like to use for Ni is that you're constantly building puzzles in your mind to construct an image/idea/theory and then when someone gives you a new piece and you manage to place it, you now have the rest of the puzzle at your disposal so you can quickly jump to looking for the next piece. Essentially, Ni accumulates experiences, ideas, and thoughts and is integrating them into models, which are then readily available when you need them.

I think the reason it seems magical is that it's a thought process that can't be broken down and explained the way logic, stories, or even feelings can. So people who don't have Ni high up in their functional stack are often surprised when you bring-up some extraneous information which turns out to be relevant down the line, but which you can't give a logical/linear explanation for. I think this is why so many INFJs have strongly developed Ti. We're looking for a way to present our insights to people.

Every function has its merit, and while Ni can be very powerful and exciting, it also has the major downfall of not being easily anchored to reality. Ni-doms are often lost in our own world, our thought process easily drifts off course, in extreme cases Ni-doms are more prone to mental illnesses like OCD, schizophrenia, and multiple-personality disorder.

Question: Something that is difficult to tell is if I'm using Fi more than Fe. I am religious and build my life around my religion, so I have trained myself to check any decision I make with my religion, as it involves most aspects of life. Though I don't decide what's right and wrong based on how I feel. I look for an objective way of doing so, through religion, research, etc. In other words, I don't trust myself as I trust the opinions of others, because I know others can have more knowledge and I know I am prone to mistakes, so I believe decisions should be made using the best resources and not primarily how I feel / or what I think.
I relate to most of this and the bolded part strongly suggests Fe over Fi. You seem like a pretty typical INFJ to me.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I think Your description of Ni matches perfectly with how I'm imagining Ni from my viewpoint of Ne-dom (ENFP) :)

I've started to research this area recently and since my girlfriend is INFJ, wanted to understand this role better. Though, it was a bit difficult to imagine Ni at first sight for me as it turned out later I misunderstood and imagined rather Ti at the beginning.

Finally I was able to imagine it's just a bunch of source ideas and connections suddenly "popping" to Ni user's head and showing up as "core idea" without knowing from where it came from. This can happen subconciously and days or even weeks later, depenging of the complexity of the idea. My GF's thought patterns seem to work in very similar way and combining them with my Ne it's quite powerful combo for us :)

·
Banned
5,331 Posts

You're describing introverted perceiving in general, if we just switch out Ni for Si, this entire descriptor still makes perfect sense.

When you say:
It has this magical ability to take bits and pieces of info and put them together for you, sometimes in the form of a sharp image.
What exactly do you mean?

FWIW, here's how I see Ni, real brief.

Ni is an exclusive intake of information, based on what "isn't".

Ni works in conjunction with Se to receive and process information for us - Se is broad and inclusive of all information - it is concerned with what "is" - however this attention to detail on what "is" is almost in our unconscious, as we prefer to receive the information that "isn't".

It is narrow and focused, on what "isn't" - an example of this might be to look at a picture, someone who prefer Se over Ni might comment that there are a lot of trees, green-red leaves signifying it's likely autumn, and lots of branches leaning over the walkway.

This is a focus on what "is".

As Ni is focused on what "isn't" - it is essentially a conspiracy theorist - it will receive information broadly via Se, then perceive a single vision that "isn't" - this is why I say it is "exclusive" - it prefers to hyper-focus on one 'theory' of what it is perceiving.

So the person who prefers Ni might look at the same picture and perceive it as a brisk autumn day in a lonely part of town.

They would be assuming it's autumn the same way Se does, but there's no detail involved, and they would be assuming it's a 'brisk' day because they assume it's autumn - there's nothing else in the picture to signify that it is cold or chilly or brisk. They would be assuming it's a lonely part of town, as there is no people in the picture, or the leaves on the ground are untouched - without actually focusing on any of these details and coming to these conclusions logically (which would be a judging function) - this is actually how Ni sees the world and perceives information.

It is an exclusive intake of information, concerned with what 'isn't.

If that sounds like you, chances are you prefer Ni.
That kind of thing would stress an Si or an Se user out - jumping to assumptions without any evidence, facts, data, details etc is absolutely ludicrous to them.

The example there is a simple one anyone can relate to, but when you start applying that same theory to all facets of life, you can see how much of a problem Ni can actually be for other people, and even the user.

For instance say you work in a law firm - yeah - I don't even need to explain the rest - you're going to lose your job if you start making those same assumptions based on what "isn't". This is the reality of Ni.

Ni users can come across to their friends like liars, bullshit artists, con-artists or perhaps even cruel, mean people - because they have faith in their perceptions of what isn't.
So you might see somebody and your Ni just immediately perceives this person to be X, Y and Z and you mention it to your friend and he's now wondering how you even got there, how could you think that of someone you just met? What kind of person are you?

It's because of the same thing, Ni has hyperfocused on it's own little theory of what "isn't" using the information it's received from Se - the information you need to support what you've said would be there, it'll be real, concrete facts and details you could easy build a case with - but you haven't noticed them directly, because Ni is focused on it's own interpretation of what "isn't".

Fe: I'll admit I'm no expert when it comes to this function, but I do think I use it. I have always been very expressive and I love showing passion and emotion when speaking. I have a very animated face which makes it hard to hide how I feel. Unless I'm really fatigued..then I'll just seem cold haha. I'm easily affected by the moods of the people around me. I get energized by a happy mood, people's positive and happy mood energizes me. I find it hard not to care about people's problems because I feel it's my duty to help them and I sometimes automatically get the same feeling that they give off. Hmm...what else...I have always been attracted to people who show they're passionate, who are expressive when speaking, who show emotion when speaking. I get sort of annoyed by people who have an expressionless face when speaking, like they're bored or something or have no feelings (I know of course that this is not true!). I think if people can just bother to understand one another then we'll all live more harmoniously, because it's (generally) easier to respect that which you understand.
None of this has anything to do with Fe, lol.
Fe is a inclusive decision making process, fin.

That is to say, Fe users prefer to incorporate the values/opinions/thoughts of others, into their own decisions.

Getting energised by peoples moods etc is likely a preference for Extraversion over Introversion, I would like to attribute being expressive to this as well, but I can't because there's loads of expressive/upbeat/fun female INTJs on youtube - they might be typed incorrectly, but if they're not, it blows this theory out of the water.

All the exclamation marks suggest E over I as well.

This actually fits in with being an IxFJ however, as we are the most sociable of all the introverts due to having Fe.
This is the reason even the biggest hermit INFJs in the world, ala me, can still go to work and be a normal person, interact with others - even if I don't want to.

It's the constant influence of Fe - always seeking to include others in things and this probably even includes simple things like asking someone how their weekend was, even though you're an introvert.

I know I am an introvert as my primary focus is on my own thoughts and my own inner world. That's my preference and it has been all my life I think.
I can now conclude that, although I can relate somewhat to most other functions too, I am an INFJ

Try this dichotomy test - it'll expose the difference between E and I relatively well, E isn't all about being a nutjob cocaine fiend.
http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my-personality-type/1174706-dichotomy-test.html

I think that test actually exposes the differences between all of the dichotomy preferences relatively clearly.

As far as dichotomy is concerned, I wouldn't worry about Fi or Fe - you'll find most F types resonate with both Fi and Fe, I sure do anyway.
It's just a general preference for F.

Not deciding what's right or wrong based on how you feel indicates a preference for T.

When do you generally apologize to someone, and what do you want the person to say when you do?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts