Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I want to figure out my personality type I'm stuck between an infj and an isfj. I'll answer some questions and wait for someone's response.

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

Answer: yeah I have ocd anxiety and depression but I'm getting better.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

Answer: I'm sitting here for minutes trying to come up with an answer. Nothing comes to mind. Let me think. Firstly I'd try to calm the people who got annoyed and defend the people who got blamed. Initial thoughts would be fuck. What can we do to get there.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

Answer: I'm not staying I don't like loud places(why am I at this concert in the first place then). I won't really believe the driver. I'll either drive us back myself or leave alone before everyone else(considering I said I'm not staying at the after-party I'd most likely leave first).

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

Answer: well I already left soooo....joking
Depends. In this particular situation I will most likely not say anything because I'd be too tired. But ignoring that factor I'd try to understand where they are coming from. If I can't make sense out of their arguments I'd offer another approach and explain why it might be better.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

Answer: I don't know why I'm answering this this is clearly meant for figuring out if a person has fi or not. I'd be irritated but if I'm given reasons I might calm down. This was about beliefs. Experiences and habits I don't really care especially about the experiences. An experience isn't universal or is it. I might get annoyed because I was interrupted(habits), no I would be really annoyed if something clashes my habits. Hypocrite much am I. Anyways next question.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

Answer: hm let me think what values are there. I value my family even though their values clash with mine most of the time. I value honesty. I value kindness, wisdom, intelligence(in any shape or form), individuality maybe. Easy give me a logical argument and a good explanation. Will it change my take on it who knows I'm stubborn.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

Answer: I'm quite, observant(I might just stare at you for a while), I like reading between the lines(I would bring an example but it'd take too long), I like going deep into things I want to find the core of a problem, issue or an event. I'm very stubborn, inflexible(this is something I'd want to change because life would be much easier if I was a little more flexible).

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

Answer: don't know what to answer to this. Let me think. Oh I actually treat hunches seriously in threatening situation to me. Threat. I guess I don't know this is the answer if my answer is honest and I didn't misunderstand or misinterpret anything(is it even possible).

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

Answer: thinking, dreaming, being in my head, listening to music, reading, socializing, having an insightful conversation, sports, asking people to talk about me.
Drain: socializing, doing something I don't want to, sports(duh), pointless arguments, loudness, too many details, the past, talking about my feelings a lot and so on.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

Answer: I might come up with a brilliant answer but my head hurts from answering this many questions(only ten). I might keep my thoughts and opinions to myself, I'll try to hide annoyance, sadness(unless I want that person to talk to me about my sadness which is quite often I'm not good at hiding my emotions but that wasn't the question), the reason to all of this is to not inconvenience the others. I try to stop fantasizing when I'm around people to concentrate on them.

That's it, thank you for reading.

·
Registered
ENFP
289 Posts
It shouldn't be too difficult to work out because those two types' lead functions are very different. You need to identify your main function which should be pretty obvious because Si and Ni don't work in similar ways at all.

ISFJs use Si first, so they have amazing memories for the environment and remember little details. They are also usually very good at retaining information. Does this sound like you? They won't have many sudden unexplained realisations about life per as below.

INFJs use Ni first, which means they are very good with perspectives - in order words it gathers information subconsciously and draws conclusions based on pattern recognition. They tend to have ah-ha moments about life and they don't know where it came from because the pattern recognition will have been subconscious and over time using their experience. Their memory retention usually isn't the best.

Which sounds more like you?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
It shouldn't be too difficult to work out because those two types' lead functions are very different. You need to identify your main function which should be pretty obvious because Si and Ni don't work in similar ways at all.

ISFJs use Si first, so they have amazing memories for the environment and remember little details. They are also usually very good at retaining information. Does this sound like you? They won't have many sudden unexplained realisations about life per as below.

INFJs use Ni first, which means they are very good with perspectives - in order words it gathers information subconsciously and draws conclusions based on pattern recognition. They tend to have ah-ha moments about life and they don't know where it came from because the pattern recognition will have been subconscious and over time using their experience. Their memory retention usually isn't the best.

Which sounds more like you?
On the contrary, Si and Ni have a fair amount of similarities, as they are both Pi functions. They are two different sides of the same coin. Si and Ni are more similar to each other than Si is to Se or Ni is to Ne because of their inward orientation. I don't think it's that uncommon for people who are new to typology like OP get stuck between the two, especially since S/N is often the most difficult dichotomy for people to understand, and because inwardly-focused functions are usually the most misunderstood and hardest to describe since they are a lot more detached from the external world (and thus external observation) than the external-oriented functions.

Here is a post I made a long time ago explaining my experience with Si as an Si-dom that OP might find helpful, from a thread called "Why is Si often associated with memory?":

Because it's a lazy description.

It's much more complex than that, and because it's an introverted and irrational function, it's less understood; it is the other side of the same coin as Ni, but since Ni is intuition and Si is sensing and sensing is Dumb and Boring (tm), no one cares to try and understand it properly.

Literally everyone uses memory. Si is not a great memory or a photographic memory. Those are barely even cognition, let alone worth an entire function. And it certainly isn't as bland as "tradition."

I can't remember the shirt I wore yesterday. I don't remember what I did 4 days ago. I don't remember exactly what I was even doing a year ago. My memory is actually pretty shitty.

What I have is a very specific attention to detail. Things that I am interested in or catch my eye in a certain way that I am able to relate to something else that I find interesting through my synapses is much more likely to stick. I constantly get asked by my ISTJ coworker, "Why do you remember random stuff like that?!" because it really is completely fucking random lol. Stuff that no one else ever notices.

But anyway

The way I always explain Si is that it is about archetypes. The stereotype of Si as being rigid and "traditional" comes from the fact that an archetype needs to be stable, consistent and firm, unchanging in order to be an archetype, or else there is literally NO point in having an archetype in the first place if it is allowed to change. And I compare everything to my archetypes; they are based on anecdotal, personalized experiences rather than a sort of collective unconscious (that is more in the realm of Ni--different sides of the same coin).

To me, a chair is a chair because of the archetype of a chair: it must have a seat and four legs. You try to tell me that a barstool is a chair? No it isn't, not unless it has four legs! But maybe another Si type's personal archetype of a chair is simply just a seat with at least one leg, so a barstool would qualify as a chair to them. This is kind of a lame example though.

Everything is compared to this personal archetype. Not a dictionary definition. "Storehouse of experience" is a kind of lazy way to put it too but at least it's better than just "memory" since it touches on the subjective, personal nature of Si (since it's an introverted function after all).

tl;dr
Basically, Si soaks up its environment like a sponge and bases everything it encounters on these archetypes built from its personal, individual experiences, which begin building from a very young age, which is typically why Si users are accused of being "traditional," "stuck in their ways," "opposed to change," etc. Because it relies on these archetypes, and archetypes CANNOT be allowed to be altered or changed, or else it defeats the purpose of an archetype and allows for complete chaos.
The rest of the thread is good reading I would recommend to anyone else who wants to understand Si more, for typing purposes or just for funsies I guess.

·
Registered
ENFP
289 Posts
On the contrary, Si and Ni have a fair amount of similarities, as they are both Pi functions. They are two different sides of the same coin. Si and Ni are more similar to each other than Si is to Se or Ni is to Ne because of their inward orientation. I don't think it's that uncommon for people who are new to typology like OP get stuck between the two, especially since S/N is often the most difficult dichotomy for people to understand, and because inwardly-focused functions are usually the most misunderstood and hardest to describe since they are a lot more detached from the external world (and thus external observation) than the external-oriented functions.

Here is a post I made a long time ago explaining my experience with Si as an Si-dom that OP might find helpful, from a thread called "Why is Si often associated with memory?":

The rest of the thread is good reading I would recommend to anyone else who wants to understand Si more, for typing purposes or just for funsies I guess.
Disagree. Just because they are introverted perception functions doesn't mean they work in same way. We all use all 8 functions, that's obvious. Someone with Si 1st has Ni as their 8th function so it's actually one of the things they are worst at and vice versa.

Si is highly connected to environmental memory and details. Ni is not - at all. I'm not suggesting that an Si-dom necessarily has a photographic memory but they are certainly much better at remembering details than someone with dominant Ni.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi I want to figure out my personality type I'm stuck between an infj and an isfj. I'll answer some questions and wait for someone's response.

0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

Answer: yeah I have ocd anxiety and depression but I'm getting better.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?

Answer: I'm sitting here for minutes trying to come up with an answer. Nothing comes to mind. Let me think. Firstly I'd try to calm the people who got annoyed and defend the people who got blamed. Initial thoughts would be fuck. What can we do to get there.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?

Answer: I'm not staying I don't like loud places(why am I at this concert in the first place then). I won't really believe the driver. I'll either drive us back myself or leave alone before everyone else(considering I said I'm not staying at the after-party I'd most likely leave first).

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?

Answer: well I already left soooo....joking
Depends. In this particular situation I will most likely not say anything because I'd be too tired. But ignoring that factor I'd try to understand where they are coming from. If I can't make sense out of their arguments I'd offer another approach and explain why it might be better.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?

Answer: I don't know why I'm answering this this is clearly meant for figuring out if a person has fi or not. I'd be irritated but if I'm given reasons I might calm down. This was about beliefs. Experiences and habits I don't really care especially about the experiences. An experience isn't universal or is it. I might get annoyed because I was interrupted(habits), no I would be really annoyed if something clashes my habits. Hypocrite much am I. Anyways next question.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?

Answer: hm let me think what values are there. I value my family even though their values clash with mine most of the time. I value honesty. I value kindness, wisdom, intelligence(in any shape or form), individuality maybe. Easy give me a logical argument and a good explanation. Will it change my take on it who knows I'm stubborn.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?

Answer: I'm quite, observant(I might just stare at you for a while), I like reading between the lines(I would bring an example but it'd take too long), I like going deep into things I want to find the core of a problem, issue or an event. I'm very stubborn, inflexible(this is something I'd want to change because life would be much easier if I was a little more flexible).

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?

Answer: don't know what to answer to this. Let me think. Oh I actually treat hunches seriously in threatening situation to me. Threat. I guess I don't know this is the answer if my answer is honest and I didn't misunderstand or misinterpret anything(is it even possible).

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?

Answer: thinking, dreaming, being in my head, listening to music, reading, socializing, having an insightful conversation, sports, asking people to talk about me.
Drain: socializing, doing something I don't want to, sports(duh), pointless arguments, loudness, too many details, the past, talking about my feelings a lot and so on.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?

Answer: I might come up with a brilliant answer but my head hurts from answering this many questions(only ten). I might keep my thoughts and opinions to myself, I'll try to hide annoyance, sadness(unless I want that person to talk to me about my sadness which is quite often I'm not good at hiding my emotions but that wasn't the question), the reason to all of this is to not inconvenience the others. I try to stop fantasizing when I'm around people to concentrate on them.

That's it, thank you for reading.
If i were you i would do the personality test on the 16personalities website which will tell you the definite answer

·
Registered
12 Posts
It wont give a ‘definite’ answer. The tests aren’t foolproof
Obviously it won't be 100% accurate for everyone, but my point was that i did it and the report WAS 100% accurate for me. Since then i have gotten 2 of my friends, my sister and both my parents to do it, and all their reports were 100% accurate as well. So i think it is fair to say that it is one of the best ones and is worth a try, there is no harm in doing it anyway is there, it is free and only takes about 10 minutes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts