Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
ESTP
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Now obviously I'm an ISTP, but I am in need of assistance. I honestly do not know what the hell my type is. In the past, I've been typed as:

- ENFP
- INFP
- INFJ
- INTJ
- INTP
- ISTP

However, I'm starting to realize I may be INFP. The one thing I've noticed as each of these other types is that I had to fake personality traits. For instance, I had to be more risky to feel like an ISTP (which I'm normally not), I had to be more strategic as an INTJ (which I'm normally not), and I had to be more extraverted as an ENFP (which I'm normally not). The only few types where I've felt the most natural are INTP, INFP, and INFJ.

I need some honest-to-God help. I would normally have some questionarre posted here with my own responses, but I don't know if that would do much. Could I get some feedback from you guys and hear what you have to say? Thank you!

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,690 Posts
Help me! Help me!! I might be an INFP!!!! I'm so scared!! Don't show me a mirror. Don't show me a mirror!!!! (Sorry. Halloween is coming up.)

Keirsey added some inaccurate stereotypes for ISTPs that make no sense. He makes it seem like ISTPs are all about TOOLS!! YEAH!! And MANUAL LABOR!! And ALL I DO IS DO, DO, DO, NO MATTER WHAT!! And it makes ISTPs sound bland and simpleminded. Naaaaah... They aren't simpleminded. But now they are misunderstood!!

(Celebok is an ISTP, so maybe you could watch some of his videos and see if you can relate to him.)

Keirsey put too much Se in his ideas when it is Ti, and the organized, logical thought that comes with it, that actually dominates the personality. I think Ti does work in the same form as tools and taking things apart to see how they work, but it's mostly an introverted mental exercise. Ti takes things apart and analyzes their smallest components so it can understand how stuff works. Life's like a puzzle.

The difference between ISTP and INTP is that an ISTP probably has more of a focus on how the real world works and an INTP has their head in the clouds more often. I know it when I (personally) see it because me and other Ne users have conversations with our eyes a lot of the time. I appreciate ISTPs very much, but there is an interesting disconnect between us in person when we try to become closer to each other.

Something that might help you on your search is to take a cognitive functions quiz (Fi, Ti, Se, Ne, etc.) It could help you see which ones you naturally like to use, and you won't have to fake yourself to fit into a type.

·
Registered
ESTP
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
@ButIHaveNoFear Welp, I took the IDRlabs.com cognitive functions quiz, these are my results:
e36e35e3bffac088510765980e7b904d.jpg

It says I'm either an INFJ or INTJ, which could be true. I don't know, maybe there's some questionnaire I can take. MBTI is a very flawed system, even though it's one of the most interesting subjects I've ever come across. The human personality is far too complex to just be categorized under four letters, but I'm still interested in it. I'll have to look...

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
@QtheCool

Try taking their clarifier test between those types?

I went on a reconnaissance mission to their site, and I think their cognitive functions test sucks!

Screen Shot 2017-10-28 at 5.09.28 PM.jpg
Here's what my results look like, and they couldn't even suggest a type for me! They sucked at isolating the cognitive functions in their descriptions... See how it was unable to tell if either of us were primarily Ni or Ne? They did a crap job overall. I think my results still look INFP-esque because F is the most, N is second, followed by S, and T, and this is the correct functional order for INFP. But that isn't what their test is supposed to test at all!! It is a flop. I have much more delineated results with other test providers. Sometimes the simplest looking ones are the best.

I took their MBTI(so I could see if their whole site was crap), and it said I was INTP. I hate the way they write their F/T dichotomy, and I commonly test as T because I'm not going to choose an idiotic answer. Then I took their clarifier test for INFP and INTP, and I was actually pleased with that one! It was able to place me as INFP, and I feel it was accurate. I liked that so much I will probably recommend it to people!

I totally agree with your thoughts on MBTI. It's a flawed system because you have to play its game to get the correct result. If it was an ideal system, people could just be themselves. But, humanity is too complex to be 100% themselves and still be categorized. It's fascinating to try though.

Well, happy typing! ...I guess... :laughing:

Reactions: QtheCool

·
Registered
ESTP
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ButIHaveNoFear I'll take the clarifier for both INTP v INFP and INFJ v INTJ. I'm probably an INFP because I feel like I don't have to force any personality traits to be the type, I can just be myself (I'm constantly daydreaming and coming up with stories, I'm philosophical to a fault, I can be very sensitive, and I'm not the most practical of people). Thanks for your opinions and help, I appreciate it very much.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I hope the tests work for you and that you're satisfied with the results!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Bout to get brutally honest here, but please take it as comedy and bare with me.

Step number one: Screw every form of online quiz.

If a quiz were able to point you to your type it would have done so within the first two or three tries.

Step number two: Don't think about it.

If you find yourself thinking very deeply and very hard about what your type is, thoroughly analyzing every possible letter, awesome work ethics! Now stop it. Myers Briggs types often are only as complicated as you make them. You can (and do) function as all 16 types at some point so you can't start over if you find out that you did one thing that goes against your typing. Your type is simply your preference (or default).

Step number three: Study Myers Briggs and cognitive functions like the girl you want to marry (if you haven't found her yet then like the exam that determines if you have to spend another $100,000 to retake the class)

If you still think that extroversion equals love of people and introversion equals social outcasts (not saying that you do (but if you do)) you have little to no hope of finding out your correct type. You need to be really familiar with what everything actually means because if you haven't figured out your type by now you are pretty close to the line on a few letters. So you will need to be familiar with the way each one functions (or at least the way each one of the suspects function) in order to pinpoint your default.

Step number four: Remember that your type actually doesn't matter

ISTP, INFP, or even ESTJ doesn't really matter all that much when you consider the fact that you are capable of functioning as all three within a 24 hour timeframe. This "typing" will only tell you what you usually function as (or default to). You can be an INTJ at home and then work for eight hours as an ENTP (extreme example, but not at all untrue). The only thing that would make you an INTJ is that INTJ would be the type you default to when not under pressure to act differently.

So, that is four steps to figuring out your Myers Briggs type. I know this is all coming from a guy that is typed as unknown, and if that's a problem... sue me.

Disclaimer: Please note, any bluntness/rudeness that is contained within this post happened after a hecking long day of being surrounded by 115+ people and is mostly satirical. Plus you can't actually sue me because 1st amendment is a thing and we would both be laughed out of court.

G'night! God bless

·
Registered
761 Posts
@Jonneh you still don't know your mbti type huh? Have you heard of mbti-notes on Tumblr (Masterpost Index @MBTI-notes - Type Theory) ? Trust me, this blog have plenty of resources and explanations on the cognitive functions, I haven't see anything as complete as mbti-notes so far. You can ever ask the person who runs the blog to help you clarify your functions...just trust me, this person is really an expert on this.

Sorry for this sudden suggestion, I hope I'm not overstepping.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
@Jonneh you still don't know your mbti type huh? Have you heard of mbti-notes on Tumblr (Masterpost Index @MBTI-notes - Type Theory) ? Trust me, this blog have plenty of resources and explanations on the cognitive functions, I haven't see anything as complete as mbti-notes so far. You can ever ask the person who runs the blog to help you clarify your functions...just trust me, this person is really an expert on this.

Sorry for this sudden suggestion, I hope I'm not overstepping.
Oh no, you are perfectly fine. I actually do know my type. I just don’t feel like going into settings and changing it/I want it to remain anonymous. I will check out that blog though because I’ve recently ran out of Myers Briggs/functional stacking material that had content that is new to me. So hopefully this blog will bring new information and/or a different perspective.

·
Registered
761 Posts
@QtheCool

Tests aren't reliable, I usually get INTJ or ISTJ on these. If you're not sure between INFP or INTP, then read this:

Ti-Fe & Fi-Te: Trust Thyself

Introverted Judging Functions: Both Ti and Fi desire a certain degree of independence from outside influences and, as a result, they prefer to use their own personal understanding of the world to guide their behaviors. In order to maintain the individual freedom to act according to personal beliefs, both Ti and Fi tend to see themselves as existing quite separately from the external environment, comfortably coming and going as they please. They need to have the space and freedom to formulate their own personalized response to whatever is happening in the external world.

Ti analyzes incoming data for precise cause and effect relationships, using formulaic knowledge to navigate the world coherently, thereby constructing a highly detached and systematic point of view. In this way, Ti can feel comfortably confident and self-sufficient in its own knowledge of the world. Ti feels compelled to remain detached because it erroneously believes that factual knowledge should and can be separated from human perspective and thus perceives inferior Fe to be threatening or meddlesome because people’s “perspectives” are inherently “biased” and considered to be “irrelevant” knowledge. In other words, at its worst, Ti becomes disconnected from people and the world - it does not understand the ways in which things are fundamentally connected and influence each other, unable to acknowledge its own role in social dynamics and thus failing to establish intimacy or proper reciprocation in relationships. Ti can become too narrow in its worldview, arrogant in its knowledge, or reject the necessity of social responsibility.

Fi analyzes incoming data to see how it impacts personal experience, using its own state of inner harmony/discord to judge the acceptability of situations, thereby constructing a personal set of unconditional values to guide behavior. In this way, Fi can act in accordance with its own conscience, trying to minimize suffering for oneself (or other people who are perceived to experience similar suffering). Fi feels compelled to follow its own values because it erroneously perceives inferior Te to be threatening and invasive in applying unreasonably impersonal standards and not treating people as truly unique individuals. In other words, at its worst, Fi becomes excessively defensive of its own individuality - it does not know how to fit comfortably into the system of impersonal rules and standards that all individuals are expected to adhere to. Fi can become overly sensitive to anything that might impinge upon individual rights or boundaries.

Ti and Fi tend to make judgments quickly because of having a relatively well-defined set of personal standards but, without adequate perceiving functions, they are prone to reflexively and indiscriminately using those standards to justify excessively isolative or self-centered behaviors.

·
Registered
784 Posts

·
Registered
ESTP
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to the club.

Can you relate to either of these:

FiNe (INFP) — Type in Mind
Socionics Types: IEI-INFp
They were perfect representations. I never wanted to be an F type because I thought I had to be driven by emotions to be one, but now I can see it's just about values and inner or outer perception. INFP seems like a relief for me, I can just be myself now without having to fake anything.

·
Retired Administrator
15,782 Posts
They were perfect representations. I never wanted to be an F type because I thought I had to be driven by emotions to be one, but now I can see it's just about values and inner or outer perception. INFP seems like a relief for me, I can just be myself now without having to fake anything.
I prefer the socionics test to other tests, even the official mbti. I think it's because it's not quite as black and white. I like the sliding scale.

Idk if it would help you.

Tests

(The original test on the left side--not the extended version. I'm not really sure the point of the extended version.)

INFp and INFj are different types in socionics--those examples are not of the same type.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Hmmm I have a theory...It seems like if someone questions their type to that extent, it's a possibility that they may not be infp because of an infp's Fi. Consistently feeling aware of the self. I don't know a lot of things, but if there's anything I know to a T, that would be myself!

Unless you didn't understand how to type yourself. Because if you were doing it based on what you want to be and not what you actually are then yeah you can easily be infp, especially if you feel relieved typing as infp.

·
Registered
784 Posts
If you can relate to the 2nd... then you're one of us <3

·
Registered
ESTP
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmmm I have a theory...It seems like if someone questions their type to that extent, it's a possibility that they may not be infp because of an infp's Fi. Consistently feeling aware of the self. I don't know a lot of things, but if there's anything I know to a T, that would be myself!

Unless you didn't understand how to type yourself. Because if you were doing it based on what you want to be and not what you actually are then yeah you can easily be infp, especially if you feel relieved typing as infp.
I didn't know how to test myself. There's this awesome YouTuber/Typology enthusiast (here's his link) and he said in one of his "typing yourself" videos to try to be every single type, or at least the ones you think you are. As I said, I've been typed as INTJ, ISTP, and ENFP without actually feeling like any of those types (or maybe just having to fake some of their personality quirks). However, once I tried to be an INFP, I literally didn't have to fake anything or act a certain way I wouldn't normally do. I think people don't want to be their true types because they want to feel like something else for a change (I really wanted to be a strategic INTJ chess player, but I've always been a daydreamy-dorky INxP type). INxP seems like where I'm at home, especially more towards Fi. I'm most likely INFP with a well-developed Ti function as a bonus.
@dlb I'm one of you, then. ;)

·
Registered
784 Posts
I didn't know how to test myself. There's this awesome YouTuber/Typology enthusiast (here's his link) and he said in one of his "typing yourself" videos to try to be every single type, or at least the ones you think you are. As I said, I've been typed as INTJ, ISTP, and ENFP without actually feeling like any of those types (or maybe just having to fake some of their personality quirks). However, once I tried to be an INFP, I literally didn't have to fake anything or act a certain way I wouldn't normally do. I think people don't want to be their true types because they want to feel like something else for a change (I really wanted to be a strategic INTJ chess player, but I've always been a daydreamy-dorky INxP type). INxP seems like where I'm at home, especially more towards Fi. I'm most likely INFP with a well-developed Ti function as a bonus.
@dlb I'm one of you, then. ;)
Welcome to the cool table.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts