Personality Cafe banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the following situations representative more of an INTP's detached emotions/weak Fe or an INFP's hidden emotions/stoic Fi? Mind that all three cases are from high school when I was on adhd meds and my mind felt blank, always.

In one situation, an acquaintance asked me if I wanted to dorm with him in college. I hesitated to reply since my desired colleges hadn't replied yet, I didn't want to go to this particular school (still, very good), and he had a look of earnest about his face. I was cold in high school, but by senior year I had learned some people can be upset with only a single word. "I'll consider it" did not help me either. Fellow probed me for reasons, which made me feel that he was trying to make me feel discomfort. He was an INTP(by test - pretty sure he's ENTP for a number of other reasons) and probably just wanted a yes or no answer.

When my grandmother passed away, I felt no emotional reaction. My religion teacher asked if any students had prayers to offer so I figured "hell why not?" and I threw out my word. After the prayer ended, several people turned to me and earnestly offered condolences. I stared blankly at them, blinked, said okay and turned back to my work. After class, my teacher asked me if I was alright and how my family was dealing with the loss. I responded that she was okay about eight years past but had since gone full blown dementia. Then I explained how she died for a couple minutes before realizing my teacher had an uncomfortable look on his face. I said oh sorry and left. Honestly, I felt no reason to feel anything because she was dead. This was when I considered myself to be a good catholic.

In the third example, I was conversing with a friend, just the two of us. He proceeded to tell me that he felt responsible for the enforced conclusion of a group of students who came together once a week in a classroom to vent about a variety of school nonsense. Absolute foolishness and no one was ever insulted. Still, this friend told one teacher in a passing train of thought about the group. The students were found and permitted to leave the classroom, but two teachers involved *maybe* received punishment. They were probably just told not to allow kids in their room after classes ended. My friend was beginning to tear up and choked on his words while explaining himself. When he asked me for my thoughts/advice I simply said that I had never been in a similar situation and could not relate. Still I said something comforting, just weak. I felt a bit on the spot with that one because I had no opinion. I just felt really uncomfortable with the expression of his concern. I felt a little like a waste bin for his words.

So, INTP or INFP?

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I'm going to break down your sentences and show you which functions I think you're using.

I hesitated to reply since my desired colleges hadn't replied yet, I didn't want to go to this particular school (still, very good), and he had a look of earnest about his face.
Ne, Ti

I was cold in high school, but by senior year I had learned some people can be upset with only a single word. "I'll consider it" did not help me either.
Ti, Si, Fe

Fellow probed me for reasons, which made me feel that he was trying to make me feel discomfort
Ne, Ti, Fe

He was an INTP(by test - pretty sure he's ENTP for a number of other reasons) and probably just wanted a yes or no answer.
Si, Ne, Ti

When my grandmother passed away, I felt no emotional reaction. My religion teacher asked if any students had prayers to offer so I figured "hell why not?" and I threw out my word. After the prayer ended, several people turned to me and earnestly offered condolences. I stared blankly at them, blinked, said okay and turned back to my work.
Ti, Fe ( the struggle is real)

After class, my teacher asked me if I was alright and how my family was dealing with the loss. I responded that she was okay about eight years past but had since gone full blown dementia. Then I explained how she died for a couple minutes before realizing my teacher had an uncomfortable look on his face. I said oh sorry and left. Honestly, I felt no reason to feel anything because she was dead. This was when I considered myself to be a good catholic.
Ti, Fe

When he asked me for my thoughts/advice I simply said that I had never been in a similar situation and could not relate. Still I said something comforting, just weak. I felt a bit on the spot with that one because I had no opinion. I just felt really uncomfortable with the expression of his concern. I felt a little like a waste bin for his words.

So, INTP or INFP?
Ti, Si, Fe

I would say most definitely INTP. I spotted virtually no Fi in your reasoning but quite a bit of compare and contrast with Ti-Ne-Si , deductive detached reasoning with Ti, and some repressed expressions of Fe ( at least you were aware of empathy even though you didn't to much to act on it or did it kind of awkwardly)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the input. *tosses carrot"

The first interaction in particular had me confused. I actually tried to be more fluid with people this past year and only felt tired. I think I must agree with you.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
When my grandmother passed away, I felt no emotional reaction. My religion teacher asked if any students had prayers to offer so I figured "hell why not?" and I threw out my word. After the prayer ended, several people turned to me and earnestly offered condolences. I stared blankly at them, blinked, said okay and turned back to my work. After class, my teacher asked me if I was alright and how my family was dealing with the loss. I responded that she was okay about eight years past but had since gone full blown dementia. Then I explained how she died for a couple minutes before realizing my teacher had an uncomfortable look on his face. I said oh sorry and left. Honestly, I felt no reason to feel anything because she was dead. This was when I considered myself to be a good catholic.

I remember when my favourite teacher at school died (I was about 11 years old), all the girls went off to the library before class (where the grieving meet up was) and I was literally the only girl left in my class out of a bunch of boys, unaffected by what had happened. About ten minutes into the lesson I got a knock at the door and there were some of my girl friends, they asked the teacher if I could be excused and go with them to grieve. So he was like sure. I went with them slightly confused because I didn't feel anything and didn't know what they were all crying about, but I figured it was a good excuse to get out of class. We got to the library and literally all these girls were crying. I remember trying to make myself look sad to fit in. Some of the teachers asked me if I wanted a tissue, and I accepted, but generally throughout the whole thing I was just really confused. I didn't understand anything, emotionally.

There was also another example but I forgot what it was now.

Anyway, definitely seems like a thinker problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts