• other or insane

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I consider this a dumb question yet but here goes nothing. I am often conflicted with the T and F of my personality. When I first took the test I got INFP. Later got INTP. I have argued and debated with myself on this issue for a while. I have also debated whether I am a type 9, 5, or 4 also but that's not the problem right now. I have analyzed a lot of the questions and for some reason I don't really understand objectivity or the whole values thing so those questions I sometimes feel stuck and a bit dead locked. I also try to analyze my past and see how this effects on my personality. I admit I was bit of a gullible crybaby when I was a kid (top reason I should be wiped off the planet). I am also very unforgiving of myself as you can see. I do have a tendency to fantasize and sound like an idiot or misuse or misunderstand information. But I am also overally curious and have an unusual need to learn various things. I love strategy games but also been known to be not as good as I feel I should be. I am definitely more diplomatic then my friends who are both definitely Ts. I tend to get on people good side almost instinctively. My feelings don't get hurt very easily and I have held grudges for years. I have a hard time understanding, expressing, or even talking about my feelings. When making decisions I do consider other people that it would effect(if I am aware of it that is). At the same time I have made decisions that effected others without even taking there feelings in consideration(easily forgotten sometimes). Most characters that I sometimes relate to and aspire to be similar to are normally INTPs or close to it at least. But there are also some INFP type characters I see myself a little bit also. So is it possible I am an INFP wearing a mask of an INTP or an unusual INTP with a stronger F then normal? I figure I will put up a poll for the hell of it but by all means please respond with your thoughts on this or even questions.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Walls of text intimidate me, but...Just from what I've read of your posts, I have no reason to doubt that you're an INTP. The only other thing I would suspect is ISTP.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You seem more INTP like but I don't know.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Walls of text intimidate me, but...Just from what I've read of your posts, I have no reason to doubt that you're an INTP. The only other thing I would suspect is ISTP.
One time I also suspected ISTP. But reading the various descriptions I barely see myself in most the time.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
One indicator of a Ti user is that they instinctively doubt new information. For me, I readily accept the new information unless I don't understand it. INTPs even doubt their own ideas, something that would be a nightmare to me.

Ti is also characterized by looking at issues, principles, objects and so on from many angles and many different sides as a way of finding the objective truth behind something.

I never really observed your posts so it is hard to say.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
revive. CLLLEEAARR! (checking thread pulse)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
INTP = TiNeSiFe
INFP = FiNeSiTe

Did you have the same trouble with S/N as with F/T? If not, have you considered IxxJ?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
INTP = TiNeSiFe
INFP = FiNeSiTe

Did you have the same trouble with S/N as with F/T? If not, have you considered IxxJ?
not so much with s/n. Sometimes have questioned it before. But the T/F had more trouble with. keep get even scores and sometimes with only a small percentage of difference between the two. always had trouble with the questions containing objective and subjective. I have a hard time figuring out which of the two I use. only real trouble I have with S/N is I seem to use both. I am often aware of my surroundings and at the same time I can get lost inside my head that I seem to ignore people.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm glad you just revived this, because I just made a thread in the INTP forum asking exactly the same thing. For me, when I look back on my childhood, I think I was more of an INFP, but now seem to be more of an INTP. Sorry to be kind of hijacking your thread but we have a lot of similarities and I think my description could benefit both of us. This is what I posted there, with some revisions (WOT WARNING):

As a kid, I was all about following the rules in school and avoiding conflict. I got straight A's until the middle of high school and was regarded by my teachers and friends generally as the smartest kid in the class. I also tended to be really sensitive.. as in, if someone criticized me or yelled at me, I was likely to cry. In keeping with this I made sure to never criticize anyone in a mean way, as I was always aware of what would make another person feel bad. I was also a perfectionist, in that I had to do all my work perfectly and applied the same standards to all of my hobbies which included collecting bugs, rocks, and baseball cards and being obsessed with baseball stats (I guess those seem like INTPish hobbies?)

I think I changed at some point in high school (I'm in college now) and my thinking began to dominate my feeling. I thought a lot about the people around me and how I didn't like what their motives seemed to be. I became very cynical, because I was (and still am) peaceful at heart and wished everyone could just be nice to each other. I was very depressed for a while during this period because of, I guess you could say, the "death of my ideals."

Now I tend to have little regard for rules and deadlines and will sometimes purposefully ignore them just to be a bit rebellious. I procrastinate like crazy, often with the result of just not doing anything at all. I'm also much more prone to beliefs/ideas that challenge the status quo (Marxism, for example) and am willing to voice them. I am capable of being extremely objective and enjoy analyzing almost anything to the point of making it meaningless. However, I still operate under the principle of never purposefully hurting anyone emotionally, unless they've deeply offended or hurt me in some way. On MBTI tests, my highest scores are always in introversion and perception, but my intuition/sensing and thinking/feeling scores are closer together, usually around 60/40. EDIT: I just took another and scored 50/50 on F vs T AHHHH

I still experience a good amount of feeling (I think.. haha), and I think this is left over from my childhood. For example, I can't really relate to topics on here (INTP board) where the poster is talking about insulting someone without realizing it or just being oblivious to other people's emotions... because I always take those things into consideration? It's still hard for me to actually empathize with people... if someone else is sad, I'm not going to feel sad with them. I can comfort people ok... but it's usually through logical statements of how to think more positively about situations. Hugging and such for the purpose of comfort still feels a little awkward. One thing though that never fails to make me emotional is to see a large amount of people working together or united for some cause. For example, protests/rallies and other huge crowds always make me want to cry, but not out of fear or anything like that... more out of a happiness for humanity. It's hard to describe.

Ok, that's the end of what I originally posted in the INTP forum.

Something of interest is that I think most of my hobbies have been/are traditionally INTP. I like reading (I'm majoring in Sociology and especially enjoy abstract theory), video games, and browsing the internet for all kinds of random information. When I was little I collected rocks and bugs and used to research that kind of thing all the time at the library. Now I'm particularly interested in cosmology, philosophy, and sociology.

Can you relate to any of this stuff? I feel like we're in the same boat here.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
only real trouble I have with S/N is I seem to use both.
You would use both S/N... Almost everyone uses S, N, T and F at various times, but usually they have a preference as to what they use and how that function is orientated, either to the external world or their inner world.

Maybe you've seen: MBTI characteristics & 16 Personality Types It has some descriptions of the different functions, but there might be better definitions elsewhere.

I am often aware of my surroundings and at the same time I can get lost inside my head that I seem to ignore people.
Probably INTP/INFPs do that too.

But I know some ISTPs do that with the secondary Se focused on the outside environment, but too much Ti/Ni is focusing on inner thoughts instead of other people with Fe since Fe is the inferior function and not always well developed.

Reactions: JoetheBull

·
Registered
74 Posts
i wouldn't rule out the possibility of you being an INTJ. unless you're a strong perceiver
i'm an INFP with a quite developed Te due to my education background and i've had thoughts about classifying myself INTP as well, however, however i do feel that Fi comes much more naturally than Ti, so i remain under the opinion that i'm INFP, type 5 (the investigator) with a quite muscular Te :D to the point i somethimes relate to INTJs much better than INFPs due to the Te judgement component

i think a way of ruling out INTP would be to ponder about how you use Fe, i know that it seems more easy to use for INFPs because Fi is quite good at understanding the 'greater good' values of Fe and implementing them, whereas Ti dominant would wonder about the necessity and productivity of various social rituals and dogmas proposed by Fe users.

if that makes any sense.

Reactions: JoetheBull

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
took one of those functions test before and got
Your Cognitive Development Profile
The forty-eight questions you rated earlier tap into the eight cognitive processes. Some questions tapped into basic or developed use of a process used by itself, while other questions tapped into use of multiple processes at once. The profile below is based on your responses. The number of squares indicate strength of response. The equivalent numeric is shown in parentheses along with likely level of development.
Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************** (20.2)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************************* (31.2)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) **************************************** (40.7)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *********************************** (35.5)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************************** (29.6)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************** (38.6)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ***************** (17.1)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) *************************** (27.3)
average use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INTP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENTP, or INFP
not sure if this helps

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i wouldn't rule out the possibility of you being an INTJ. unless you're a strong perceiver
i'm an INFP with a quite developed Te due to my education background and i've had thoughts about classifying myself INTP as well, however, however i do feel that Fi comes much more naturally than Ti, so i remain under the opinion that i'm INFP, type 5 (the investigator) with a quite muscular Te :D to the point i somethimes relate to INTJs much better than INFPs due to the Te judgement component

i think a way of ruling out INTP would be to ponder about how you use Fe, i know that it seems more easy to use for INFPs because Fi is quite good at understanding the 'greater good' values of Fe and implementing them, whereas Ti dominant would wonder about the necessity and productivity of various social rituals and dogmas proposed by Fe users.

if that makes any sense.
very strong perceiving. I am a complete mess in organizing except at work. But I'll try the fe thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I admit I was bit of a gullible crybaby when I was a kid (top reason I should be wiped off the planet).
Me too. I am INFP. Doesn't mean you should be wiped off the planet though.

I am also very unforgiving of myself as you can see. I do have a tendency to fantasize and sound like an idiot or misuse or misunderstand information. But I am also overally curious and have an unusual need to learn various things. I love strategy games but also been known to be not as good as I feel I should be. I am definitely more diplomatic then my friends who are both definitely Ts.
Me too. I am INFP.

I tend to get on people good side almost instinctively.
Your gut feelings are instinct. An INFP trait.

My feelings don't get hurt very easily and I have held grudges for years. I have a hard time understanding, expressing, or even talking about my feelings.
INFPs don't outwardly express feelings unless they feel (gut feeling) a connection to the other person. I don't wear my heart on my sleeve. It has to be something which is an interest which gets my emotions flowing. I'm not a drop-of-the-hat kind of INFP with emotions hanging out everywhere.

Of course you need to add that guys are different than gals. Gals find it easier to express emotions but not always. It depends on your upbringing, your gender, your personality, and of course your personality type. Plus I'm sure there are other factors.

You could also be T/F and as you get older solidify toward either end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
not so much with s/n. Sometimes have questioned it before. But the T/F had more trouble with. keep get even scores and sometimes with only a small percentage of difference between the two. always had trouble with the questions containing objective and subjective. I have a hard time figuring out which of the two I use. only real trouble I have with S/N is I seem to use both. I am often aware of my surroundings and at the same time I can get lost inside my head that I seem to ignore people.
ok, i haven't had time to read what the others posted here, so this might be repetition...

think of your childhood. were you a sensitive child? in what way?

also, do you have problems with practically organizing a project or tast step by step? do you find it difficult to relate to other people's feelings? do you feel responsible for other people being happy? does other people being wrong about things bother you?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, i haven't had time to read what the others posted here, so this might be repetition...

think of your childhood. were you a sensitive child? in what way?

also, do you have problems with practically organizing a project or tast step by step? do you find it difficult to relate to other people's feelings? do you feel responsible for other people being happy? does other people being wrong about things bother you?
I might have been a bit sensitive in my child hood. But I was bullied at school and at home so those kind of things might have seem like I was sensitive due to extreme wear and tear since I didn't really have a safe haven except video games sometimes, it seemed they ignored my existence. My parents divorce didn't even bother me at all. They sent me to some kind of counseling think for divorced kids in school. Couldn't understand why they where crying and making a fuss about there parents divorcing.

with organizing the only example I can think of at the moment is when coming up with a story concept I usually go all over the place. One story I came up with I focused more on how the character dies at the end before even going through the large majority of the story before those events happen or even before the other character that kills him is even remotely mentioned.

some people I have a hard time relating to there feelings. I need to know more about the situation and there mentality in order for me to understand there feelings better.

I don't feel I am complete responsible for others happiness. But I try to avoid hurting feelings and sometimes ever try to offer comfort them or try to get them to laugh.

Depending on the subject whether or not I get bothered at some one for being wrong. If it's something I know very well I can get peeved if they don't even try to see the information I am trying to convince them that I am correct. If they correct me and it seems logical and worth looking into further I am less peeved and intrigued

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I might have been a bit sensitive in my child hood. But I was bullied at school and at home so those kind of things might have seem like I was sensitive due to extreme wear and tear since I didn't really have a safe haven except video games sometimes, it seemed they ignored my existence. My parents divorce didn't even bother me at all. They sent me to some kind of counseling think for divorced kids in school. Couldn't understand why they where crying and making a fuss about there parents divorcing.
I was asking this because the dominant function of INFP and INTP are Fi and Ti, and a Fi dominant child would generally (though of course not always) be very sensitive. Check out Portrait of an IFP Child and Portrait of an ITP Child

with organizing the only example I can think of at the moment is when coming up with a story concept I usually go all over the place. One story I came up with I focused more on how the character dies at the end before even going through the large majority of the story before those events happen or even before the other character that kills him is even remotely mentioned.
This question was meant to capture Te. This sounds more Ne, which is common to both INFP and INTP.

some people I have a hard time relating to there feelings. I need to know more about the situation and there mentality in order for me to understand there feelings better.
I hoped to probe for Fe. If the further understanding you are looking for is in order to make sense of the person, I'd say your answer is more Ti. But it could also be that you need to know more in order to be able to identify with yourself, in which case it is more Fi. Fe would in my understanding relate almost effortlessly to almost anyone.

For both these two questions it is understandable that you do not answer clearly, since Te or Fe is your inferior function. I hoped for your way of answering to tell something about how you interpreted the question.

I don't feel I am complete responsible for others happiness. But I try to avoid hurting feelings and sometimes ever try to offer comfort them or try to get them to laugh.
INFPs can feel like they need to keep everyone happy. I think your answer shows that you do not identify yourself with others feelings as typically Fi does.

Depending on the subject whether or not I get bothered at some one for being wrong. If it's something I know very well I can get peeved if they don't even try to see the information I am trying to convince them that I am correct. If they correct me and it seems logical and worth looking into further I am less peeved and intrigued
This then was intended to capture the generally Ti trait of expecting other people to see the things the Ti user thinks is blatantly obvious, when they in fact might be logical and objective only inside the Ti mind. I'm not sure you answered yes, but I think it is leaning that way. Am I correct?

And, further, your precision in the use of language in general seem more Ti than Fi to me. Also the function test points to higher T use than F use - so that actually that high T use for an inferior function is not credible. (The test then of course is not 100% reliable, but still...)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was asking this because the dominant function of INFP and INTP are Fi and Ti, and a Fi dominant child would generally (though of course not always) be very sensitive. Check out Portrait of an IFP Child and Portrait of an ITP Child

This then was intended to capture the generally Ti trait of expecting other people to see the things the Ti user thinks is blatantly obvious, when they in fact might be logical and objective only inside the Ti mind. I'm not sure you answered yes, but I think it is leaning that way. Am I correct?

And, further, your precision in the use of language in general seem more Ti than Fi to me. Also the function test points to higher T use than F use - so that actually that high T use for an inferior function is not credible. (The test then of course is not 100% reliable, but still...)
I seem to fit the ITP more then the IFP.

Yeah I was leaning more towards yes.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Well, the final decision on your type is up to you... From what I see, I'd say INTP without doubt.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts