Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some tests (including the one on this site) say that I am an INFP. Others say that I am an INTP with the T and P being close to the midpoint. Can anyone help me with this?

My INTP traits:
  • I am pretty messy.
  • I don't understand some people's feelings as they seem to be rather pointless. The typical word for that seems to be "irrational".
  • I analyze a lot indeed.
  • I'm a huge fan of logic and rationality.
  • I refuse to sympathize for people who are literally crying their eyes out over some thing completely unimportant and/or expected/predictable.
  • I show my feelings very rarely.
  • I seem to be bad at making people feel better, but I'm good at arguing and will stand for something I believe in until the argument becomes irrational and/or the opposition starts fighting back with things like "whatever". In which case I get pissed off, but don't show it.
  • I have trouble showing gentility physically whether I try or not.

My INFP traits:
  • I sympathize for every living organism (even plants). In fact, the only organisms that I might have trouble feeling bad for are humans because they often ask for what they get and are often the ones hurting themselves.
  • I'm artistic.
  • I'm very emotional on the inside, however never show it.
  • I trust my feelings often even though I also often doubt and reanalyze them.
  • I believe that feelings are important and am extremely sympathetic.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
So some tests (including the one on this site) say that I am an INFP. Others say that I am an INTP with the T and P being close to the midpoint. Can anyone help me with this?

My INTP traits:
  • I am pretty messy.
  • I don't understand some people's feelings as they seem to be rather pointless. The typical word for that seems to be "irrational".
  • I analyze a lot indeed.
  • I'm a huge fan of logic and rationality.
  • I refuse to sympathize for people who are literally crying their eyes out over some thing completely unimportant and/or expected/predictable.
  • I show my feelings very rarely.
  • I seem to be bad at making people feel better, but I'm good at arguing and will stand for something I believe in until the argument becomes irrational and/or the opposition starts fighting back with things like "whatever". In which case I get pissed off, but don't show it.
  • I have trouble showing gentility physically whether I try or not.

My INFP traits:
  • I sympathize for every living organism (even plants). In fact, the only organisms that I might have trouble feeling bad for are humans because they often ask for what they get and are often the ones hurting themselves.
  • I'm artistic.
  • I'm very emotional on the inside, however never show it.
  • I trust my feelings often even though I also often doubt and reanalyze them.
  • I believe that feelings are important and am extremely sympathetic.

Those are also typical INTP traits imo, I'd say you sound more INTP than INFP, although it is likely that you are neither, just because you are messy doesn't make you a P. Just because you hide your feelings doesn't mean your a T, etc. I don't think you sound like either really, but I don't know much about you so I'm not really qualified to make that statement I suppose.

I would say out of the options provided I would say you are an INTP rather than an INFP.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
If you are certain that it's one of those two and you can't tell by reading whole type descriptions, your best approach would be to ask whether you use Ti or Fi.

From what you've written you seem more INTP. Even some of your INFP qualities are really true for both types, and the first one even seems almost more INTP as it sounds very Fe to me, which is the INTPs inferior function, but not among the four typical functions of INFPs, who use Fi instead.

·
Registered
615 Posts
If this is the case, I would be INTP too!
You described me perfectly.
However, I was extremely INFP as a child, and I relate to that more when I was little.
Now I relate to INTP more, but I don't think it's that possible "changing types".
So I consider myself an INFP.

You relate to both? I think those traits describe an INTP more, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses Thrifty Walrus, L4NkYb, and Angel1412kaitou! :happy:

I'm sure that I'm an INXX. I see a lot of INTPs complaining about being apathetic. Do they mean that they can't feel at all, or do they just mean that they're unable to show their feelings? I seem to be somewhere in the middle of F/T and P/J.

I think that my T is just slightly overpowering the F, for I consider feelings important, yet I also consider that one should not show them in public as they're uncontrollable. I'm much more serious around different people, and I'm only comfortable around family. I'm never completely comfortable around others; as a result I come off as too serious, while I'm really not serious at all when I'm alone or around family.

That brings me to the J and P. I'm an extreme P when I'm alone and an extreme J when I'm around people. Does that mean that I'm really P? Because I can organize well when I think I should, but unless I'm at school, work, etc. I'm a pure P. If plans have to be made I become a J. I like to be in control of myself. So, which am I?

I think I use Fe.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I had an awesome post on this that I accidentally deleted. (/D'oh)

In short, if you're confident that you are INxx, then I think the next best step is to ask yourself whether you use Ni or Ne, as they will be in your top two functions. Ni is often described as the ability to see every step of a process, where as Ne is the ability to see every possible next step of a process. There are probably (er, definitely) better descriptions out there if you don't like or don't agree with mine. If you use/prefer Ni you're a J, and Ne would make you a P.

T vs F is harder for me, but it'll probably be easier if you answer the Ne vs Ni question first.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your description of Ne vs. Ni is good, but not detailed so I did some research (if you can call it that) and I've come to the conclusion that I am indeed an Ne. What's next?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Hah, so we're back to INTP vs INFP :laughing:

So the distinction here is whether you use Fi/Te or Ti/Fe. I'm a lot better at differentiating the perceiving functions, but here's my best shot. An Fi/Te user would have a strong set of values to which they adhere and look to logic to determine whether other people people fit in with their values. A Ti/Fe user would have a logical framework to compare everything and use their values to place things within that framework. Hmm, those still seem a little ambiguous. I think the question to ask yourself is do you determine your own values (Fi) or your own logic (Ti)? Do you look at the rest of the world to determine values (Fe), or do you look to them for logic (Te)?

This is a bit of a side bar, but I was reading an article (I forget where :dry:) where the author pointed out, somewhat counter-intuitively to me, that Fe and Te are usually used on specific things, whereas Ti and Fi are much more general. So it might be helpful to consider whether you judge logic/values on a case by case basis or whether you prefer to apply them generally.

I kind of wandered around here for a bit, but the gist is, determine whether you use Fi or Ti. Those are your two potential primary functions.

EDIT Also for what it's worth, I think Socrates was an INTP.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By looking over your example and by doing some more "research" I found out that I use Ti/Fe. Does that mean that I'm an INTP after all?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts