Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is usually said that what energizes you determines whether you are an extrovert or an introvert.

I've taken many of the tests and more often test as an introvert but not rarely as an extrovert. Those tests that force an answer between two options that could be both somewhat true tend to put me as an introvert. Those that use a range or more than two options sometimes result in an extroverted result.

I've been wondering how the source of energy thing works.

For example:

* Parties are not my favorite thing but I enjoy group events and meeting people.

* I'm energized by having conversations with people (especially about things I care about) but I'm also energized by reading, thinking or physical work.

* I would have a hard time living where there were no other people to talk to. I need the social interaction, at least from a few people.

* Generally I get depressed or at least bored and tired if I don't have people to talk to.

* Small talk isn't nearly as interesting to me as conversations with substance.

* I really don't need time to recharge after being with people (as long as I get enough sleep).

* Large events where I know no one can tire me because I like to actually talk with people or do something not just wander around.

* I will initiate conversations if the other person looks like they might be interested in talking.

* I've done door to door work and public speaking and have enjoyed both though it makes me nervous at first. It has to be for something I believe in.

* Helping people makes me happy, whether in private or public.

* People would consider me very likeable.

* I love sharing what I know with people but I also enjoy listening to what they have to say.

* I do enjoy talking with one or two people at a time better than many because the conversation quality is going to be much better.

* Encouragement and compliments energize me. Praise probably does too but I don't really enjoy being praised.

* The more social interaction I am involved in the more social I become and I think those have been my best times. If I spend a lot of time away from people I become less socialiable.

* I used to be very shy but over the years the shyness has faded to a good extent (pretty much with the more social interaction I've had).

So I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of whether I'm extroverted or introverted or maybe in the middle. BTW, I'm a 30yo male.

This is mostly out of curiosity because I believe that personality is fluid but it's also very interesting and helpful.

I'll be happy to answer additional questions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I too was wondering about extrovert vs introvert as defined by where one gets their energy. I have always been reserved and quiet in new situations so I assumed I was shy but I was surprised I discovered there are people out there described as shy by their nearest and dearest because my friends and family would not describe me as shy in private which is revealing I had assumed everybody was less reserved at home then in public but apparently other people can be either consistently outgoing or shy. The problem with typing ones self is that you need to know how to answer the questions in context relative to everyone else in the world of all the personality types in order to have context in where you fit in. I heard it described like this, so when somebody gets the question: I am never late. True or false? If the person is a fanatic about being late and they were late once last year, they might say false. And somebody else who doesn’t really notice late or not late, will think they are probably good at being on time because no one has fired them for it yet, so they will answer true.

You really have to have all 16 types in mind when you answer the questions to know where you fit relative to everyone else, that is
why it is best to have a professional administer the test and type you relative to the pattern of everyone else they have and are coaching.

I too found it hard to describe myself by E or I, as defined by where you get your energy from cause I can spend way too much time alone as I do not get bored at all by not having people to talk too yet I do not feel like I gain energy or feel replenished by being alone either nor do I feel like being around people in social situations drains or energizes me. Kind of different to you, reading and thinking as (introspection) drains me. I like thinking about literature and ideas in general cause I spend a lot of time alone but I wouldn't say they energize me. So to take a break I like my leisure activities to be either watching something or doing something.

·
Registered
23 Posts
* I enjoy group events and meeting people. I'm energized by having conversations with people (especially about things I care about) but I'm also energized by reading, thinking or physical work.

Well Just like there are different kinds of introverts, there are different kinds of extroverts. ENTP & ENFP describe themselves as the shyest extroverts. ESTx would be energized by thinking out loud intelligent conversations. The "people person" extroverts are ENFJ, ESFJ, ESFP.
On a scale of 1 -10 how true is the statement “I like social gatherings." A ENFP will routinely give a low number because ENFPs hate small talk but actually compared to other people, ENFPs love social gatherings because they always get excited about the possibility there will be someone good there to talk to.You really have to keep all 16 types in mind when you answer the questions so you know where you fit relative to other people. A INTx might be energized by thinking, solving problems and sharing a idea they thought up but not necessarily conversation, they don't need to run ideas by people that is not their process. They might come off distance in communication, its not they like debate its just their good at it, they don't need daily deep one on one conversations, they just prefer small groups and what they say happens to be intelligent. A INFx will prefer small or one on one conversations to group events because that is where they feel they can open up but they aren't energized by it.

* I would have a hard time living where there were no other people to talk to. I need the social interaction, at least from a few people.

Needing social interaction, like lets say, a hour everyday with one person, sounds like gaining energy to me. Hi and bye sounds like, not the ideal amount but a adequate amount, to a introvert like myself most likely, It wouldn't bother me but I don't need it or desire it like it sounds like you do.

* Generally I get depressed or at least bored and tired if I don't have people to talk to.

Being alone on its own is never a good enough reason for a introvert to be bored,.

* Small talk isn't nearly as interesting to me as conversations with substance.

I think most people would say this and I don't think it can distinguish either way.

* I will end it here because I finished reading and you are clearly a extrovert, what type is the question. And that can not be answered without focus on other factors. Introversion does not make you shy, we are all complex people not data but it doesn't make sense to me, why how much you like socializing with other people would be the most important question in determining your type if you were a introvert unless you mistakenly believe introvert must be shy, reclusive or reserved in communication most time or all the time. There are different types for each. Is there something else you are divided on in connection with extroversion/introversion?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts