Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[Sorry for grammar mistakes. My native lang is portuguese.]

I'm constantly searching for this topic and didn't came to a satisfying conclusion if I'm an ISTJ, INTJ or INTP. I first came into contact with it when a friend of mine was studying Psychology in University and came across MBTI. We tried to figure our self out and I ended up being typed as an INTJ back in 2011. I didn't like the answer because I felt this personality seemed as someone really cold and distant, and at that time of my life I wanted to be accepted by others, especially in Brazil where most people have more Feeling and Extroverted personalities (in fact it doesn't sound as INTJ at all to want to be accepted). In that year I had panic attacks due to my conclusion papers from Architecture B.A., and was diagnosed with GAD - General Anxiety Disorder because of this and other symptoms I had since childhood. Went to talk therapy and 20mg of Paroxetine for about 2 years and ended cold turkey 'cause I was tired of it. Worst decision ever.

Fast-forward to 2015, I still had GAD (obviouslly) and went to do some CBT - Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. But the most difficult problem was a Severe Level 4 Depression. Amazingly after about 12 months of CBT (which for this kind of therapy is a long time, but for others seems kind of short) my therapist said my Humor was back to normal levels and we had 6 more months of CBT watching out for relapses. In all this time together with my anamneses she typed me as an ISTJ. I felt more understood this time.

In 2016 she felt we should address the GAD issues and I started on Paroxetine again with a psychiatrist (reaching 40mg). And I don't know if it's the anti-depressant talking but I feel such a P instead of a J (and don't even know if this was about all my life). That's why INTP seems more close now. ISTP don't stand a chance.

I would love to be an ISTJ. My father is one and I feel, although he had his relationship problems with my mother, me and my brothers, he is an amazing guy, very hard-working, very intelligent, hands on, can fix anything, a reliable person. FYI my mother is a typical ENFP and my brothers I believe to be ESTJ and INFJ.

But I don't know if what I want to be is who I really am. Sometimes I feel really out of touch with the present world, daydreaming, researching for useless topics till 4am about quantum physics or what is the genealogy of the British royal family in the Henry VIII's times.

I trust my therapist very much. I'm not in therapy anymore due to CBT sometimes being a intermittent therapy if I can say so. I talked to her about this INTJ thing and she said yes, I could be ISTJ or INTJ, the depression and anxiety do cloud some of my judgment and the biases of what I tell her so that she could have mistyped me. She doesn't think I'm a P at all (I just leave this option open because I am late 10min to work everyday even after my boss told me not to, my house is a mess if my husband doesn't remind me to clean and do the dishes, I don't like to take the effort to put on make-up, I don't have a great fashion sense, I don't like to brush my hair everyday. Mainly I like to focus on intellectual things and prefer to view one more Neil deGrasse Tyson video before going to bed instead of brushing my teeth).

[Edit:]
ISTJ pro that I would like to be but am not: On time, working for the same company for years to reach top levels and salary (I almost always leave in the 3 year mark due to being bored).

ISTJ con that I'm surely not: Traditional and respecting of authorities - since teenage years being a wiccan tattooed apprentice misfit to today's not listening to bosses and rules (maybe something to do with maturity even though I'm almost 30?)

INTJ pro that I'm not sure I'm super like that: Anticipating the future, knowing things before they even materialize. I'm very good at predicting movies, books, things that follow a certain pattern not obvious to all, but I'm not good at reading worldwide trends, economy, politics.

INTJ con that I am without a doubt: The most intense resting bitch face of the earth. If there are other types like this I sure could consider being typed as one of them.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hey, I speak Portuguese too. Can I PM you? I think it would be easier to figure this out in your native language, but first I have to ask you: do you know about cognitive functions? I use them to type people, I don't find the MBTI letters to be as reliable.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Hey, since you're almost 30, is it possible you're an INTJ who's Fe is starting to develop?

Maybe that's why you're thinking that you'd love to be more like your dad, who was at work on time, hard-working, loyal to the company etc - maybe you're thinking you want to be like that because you'd like to feel you're contributing to society and your work etc a bit more.

Not anticipating the future does sound more INTP than INTJ (Ne v Ni) but I mean, everyone's different, maybe you use your Ni for other things. Not all INTJs are going to be masterminds. In fact if you do some googling you'll see a lot of them find themselves to be quite lazy and don't take great care of themselves, like you suggest with not brushing your teeth every day.

Being 10 minutes late to work every day doesn't really help indicate type imo, IMO the J/P thing in the dichotomy is stereotypical crap.. maybe you just don't love your job enough to make sure you're there on time.
Doesn't matter if you're J or P there, imo, I mean IMO an INTJ might lean more towards being on time - their dominant Ni would be focused on the future a bit more than the INTP and thinking about the future in that subconscious fashion is what might have them think.. gotta get to work on time, don't want to get fired/lose my job etc.

But if you don't care about your job, that's out the window, yeah?

I mean yeah, it could be the drugs making you feel more INTP than INTJ, I don't know.

Hey, when you're out doing something - say, going to the shops with a friends/relative - when you had something in mind to do when you got back home - how would you feel when the person you're with says "hey let's go check out this other shop, and then stop by this place before we go"?

Keep in mind you've already thought to yourself you would be home soon and you had things in mind to do when you got back, and now you'll wind up being thrown out by like an hour, and what you thought you were doing while at the shops has changed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know how you feel. I was typed as INTJ the first time, I didn't appreciate it that much either. I am also Brazilian, introverted and still deal with depression. I studied engineering (kind of close to architecture). I also like Neil deGrasse Tyson videos and British genealogy from the renaissance age (I love genealogy and study my family tree every week). When I read your text, I feel like I could have written everything (unless for your choice of words, which is much more sophisticated than mine, I must admit).
I discarded INTJ after I started reading more about the cognitive functions and realized I am definitely not a Ni user. However, I think I used it more when I was 16 and started feeling depressed. After years of antidepressants, I also have got the impression that I am not as a judger as I was in the past. I am less anxious and now I can handle better things out of my control.
I am definitely leaning towards ISTJ now (with ISFJ and INTP tendencies, though, due to my high use of Fe and Ti). I think in your case, the key is finding out your perceiving function. Ni, Si and Ne are very different in my opinion. At least for me it's easier to differentiate the perceiving functions than the judging functions. Nevertheless, you seem to have complex feelings and to have highly analytical traits. I hope that you can find out more about yourself regarding MBTI

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hey, I speak Portuguese too. Can I PM you? I think it would be easier to figure this out in your native language, but first I have to ask you: do you know about cognitive functions? I use them to type people, I don't find the MBTI letters to be as reliable.
Hi, @Mr. Castelo! Thank you for answering my thread! Sure, you can PM me. Sorry for not responding so quickly. I was super busy last night. Recently I tried to learn about cognitive functions but still have difficulties applying them.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
You need to look into functions first, not just basic traits or stereotypes. Some of the J vs P stuff can be too extreme to apply to real human beings. Not brushing your hair or teeth can sometimes resemble depression instead of a personality type, I've seen it happen to anyone. But if you can't stay on a work schedule....then yeah, maybe you're a P.

I would guess INTJ because you seem to use Ni on the bottom. I'm an ISTJ that lives in my head and prefers researching a lot of things (but this is due to being 5 on the enneagram as well), however, there just isn't any Ni with me either. I'm not good at intuition or abstract concepts, despite the love for research. That was how I knew. Figure out functions, and whether you relate to Si, Ni, or Ti.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hey, since you're almost 30, is it possible you're an INTJ who's Fe is starting to develop?

Maybe that's why you're thinking that you'd love to be more like your dad, who was at work on time, hard-working, loyal to the company etc - maybe you're thinking you want to be like that because you'd like to feel you're contributing to society and your work etc a bit more.
Hello, @Turi! Thank you so much for replying! I read now about Fe since I don't know the cognitive functions very well and yeah I think this part about trying to be polite, nice, friendly, considerate is something I try to subconsciously develop all my life. It's not my strong asset but I know how much it's important to be like this to live in a society, and I guess it's working since my last job feedback I had my ex-boss said she was glad I always had a smile and a good attitude every day, that it helped the environment in the office. Obviously when I was on my teens it was the opposite: "If you love you have to accept me the way I am blah blah blah" Hahahaha.

Not anticipating the future does sound more INTP than INTJ (Ne v Ni) but I mean, everyone's different, maybe you use your Ni for other things. Not all INTJs are going to be masterminds. In fact if you do some googling you'll see a lot of them find themselves to be quite lazy and don't take great care of themselves, like you suggest with not brushing your teeth every day.
Reading about how INTJ's are Masterminds and being typed that makes me feel bad about not accomplishing that much. But I've been also learning that in our society, especially where I live, it's much more important how well you can work with people, how much money you already have to boost your chances, how many wealthy families your own family have contact with. And I'm not saying that intellectuals and planners, if working right, don't have their place under the sun, but it's just not enough in some fields. And that extra mile you need takes a lot of work and maybe I just like too much to read and think about unrelated stuff about my job.

Being 10 minutes late to work every day doesn't really help indicate type imo, IMO the J/P thing in the dichotomy is stereotypical crap.. maybe you just don't love your job enough to make sure you're there on time.
Doesn't matter if you're J or P there, imo, I mean IMO an INTJ might lean more towards being on time - their dominant Ni would be focused on the future a bit more than the INTP and thinking about the future in that subconscious fashion is what might have them think.. gotta get to work on time, don't want to get fired/lose my job etc.

But if you don't care about your job, that's out the window, yeah?
Yeah, now that you are putting into words this totally makes sense! When I'm passionate about something I will chase it like a lion. I think I'm just not that into my current job. I worked with Real Estate, which is very complex about laws, regulations, big projects, big clients. Now I work with Retail and the projects are much more simple and fast.

I mean yeah, it could be the drugs making you feel more INTP than INTJ, I don't know.

Hey, when you're out doing something - say, going to the shops with a friends/relative - when you had something in mind to do when you got back home - how would you feel when the person you're with says "hey let's go check out this other shop, and then stop by this place before we go"?

Keep in mind you've already thought to yourself you would be home soon and you had things in mind to do when you got back, and now you'll wind up being thrown out by like an hour, and what you thought you were doing while at the shops has changed.
Well if it's something that I really like doing, like I've been expecting all week to watch that documentary, or to pet my cats, or to take my afternoon nap after Sunday lunch (haha sounds like an old lady) I would probably be very unbending about it and would probably just head back to the car. Hahaha. And as I was writing it sounded totally J, I know. Thank you so much for this exercise!
Well, it is a new scenario, since I don't even shop myself, I buy it online. People don't ask me to go to these places . And yeah, I work with Retail now. So I guess there is no way on Earth to make me feel good about my job.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I know how you feel. I was typed as INTJ the first time, I didn't appreciate it that much either. I am also Brazilian, introverted and still deal with depression. I studied engineering (kind of close to architecture). I also like Neil deGrasse Tyson videos and British genealogy from the renaissance age (I love genealogy and study my family tree every week). When I read your text, I feel like I could have written everything (unless for your choice of words, which is much more sophisticated than mine, I must admit).
I discarded INTJ after I started reading more about the cognitive functions and realized I am definitely not a Ni user. However, I think I used it more when I was 16 and started feeling depressed. After years of antidepressants, I also have got the impression that I am not as a judger as I was in the past. I am less anxious and now I can handle better things out of my control.
I am definitely leaning towards ISTJ now (with ISFJ and INTP tendencies, though, due to my high use of Fe and Ti). I think in your case, the key is finding out your perceiving function. Ni, Si and Ne are very different in my opinion. At least for me it's easier to differentiate the perceiving functions than the judging functions. Nevertheless, you seem to have complex feelings and to have highly analytical traits. I hope that you can find out more about yourself regarding MBTI
Hi @Feldem! I find it amazing how we can look like so many people if we just look for it!

Yeah, I guess I need to read more about cognitive functions. Focusing just on Ne, Ni and Si to narrow down the comparisons :

Ne - Everywhere I'm reading about it uses the word "brainstorm" and I tried to apply it to different work and university situations and couldn't understand the process and it got me nowhere. It's one of those tools that I can't work it, no matter how people tell it is great.

Ni - From PersonalityCafe forum "Ni has a more complex definition that I have failed to see anyone accurately define at all." Hahaha. I do have a hard time understanding it. But this describes me perfectly: "In human interaction these types often appear acutely observant; although they may have phased out to deal with some lingering internal conundrum. (...) dominant Ni users view intrapersonal thinking and blocking out external stimulus as the preferred opportunity available to them. (...) "They will (...) retreat to allow the other time to digest the concept as they would do themselves, regardless of the partner’s preference."

This got me right too: " You are used to having insights and hunches that frequently turn out to be correct. These "aha" moments are introverted intuiting at work. What happens is this. You feed your mind with information and data. You let your unconscious mind process the data. Then, perhaps when you are in the shower, or jogging, the answer just pops into your mind. It's not magical nor mystical." Other definition of Ni seemed almost mystical and detached from reality, but if this quote is correct than it describes me, yes.

Si - Well what I'm reading is about people that can detect well physical information, can read detail very well and one example was a "quality assurance inspector". And I know I just couldn't do any "quality assurance" detection job anywhere because I tried it. People think because I'm really good at focusing on the screen, not listening to jokes other co-workers are making, that I could inspect people's drawings and find the flaws. But I get lost in the idea that the drawing is trying to portrait and I focus more if it's working, if the design is good, if there are problems with legislation, and as simples as it is I just can't "look and see" that the number or the text was typed incorrectly, you know?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You need to look into functions first, not just basic traits or stereotypes. Some of the J vs P stuff can be too extreme to apply to real human beings. Not brushing your hair or teeth can sometimes resemble depression instead of a personality type, I've seen it happen to anyone. But if you can't stay on a work schedule....then yeah, maybe you're a P.

I would guess INTJ because you seem to use Ni on the bottom. I'm an ISTJ that lives in my head and prefers researching a lot of things (but this is due to being 5 on the enneagram as well), however, there just isn't any Ni with me either. I'm not good at intuition or abstract concepts, despite the love for research. That was how I knew. Figure out functions, and whether you relate to Si, Ni, or Ti.
Hi, @Librarylady! Thank you! You are totally right, the more I learn about it I see that it is not that simple as a four letter word. The functions and the stack is so much more important! J vs P sometimes are portrayed so ludicrously (couldn't think of another word for it). Talking in this thread made me realize that I can keep up with a work schedule IF I find the motive is not that unimportant to me.

When I lived with my family I loved staying up all night with my INFJ brother talking about abstract and inapplicable ideas about the world, people, society, philosophy, parallel universes, etc. I guess I have Ni in me, just sometimes the descriptions are too extraordinary and almost mystical for me with my cynic yet super imaginative mind to believe in.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
@Feldem, I'm curious to know how you are learning you are more of an ISTJ and how this "with ISFJ and INTP tendencies" work.

Also is it possible to have tendencies leaning towards other types? Or is it more of working less important cognitive functions?

I read today that there are shadow functions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
@Librarylady, I don't know what is the correlation between MBTI/Socionics and Enneagram, if you could explain it to me please.

I took an Enneagram test now and the result was Type 5 (the Investigator) with 4 wing Social variant (5w4 SO).

The quiz I took was Eclectic Energies Enneagram Tests (the first one that popped on Google).

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
@KayLitvin hey no worries, all good.

With regards to Ni v Ne..

Ni means your thoughts are more like a timeline - going from one point to another with some little stops on the way.
You come up with ideas in a linear fashion. New ideas sprout up here and there along the way.
It's focused on making sense of the future, based on the past and present.
It's what has you feeling like you know when something is about to happen, gives you those hunches, because your mind is filling in the gaps in a sense.

Ne means your thoughts are more like a bubble map - starting at one thing, and expanding out in all directions into seemingly unrelated things that make sense, and are connected in some fashion, to the user.
It's more creative than Ni. It also can lose focus more easily. As I understand it, it's focused on the here and now - creating new ideas about things on the spot, based on things it sees/hears etc, and it's able to do this based on it's own thoughts too.
It's more like a storm, with lightning bolts going BANG BANG BANG BANG and they're all new ideas that are related to the user (all part of the same storm after all) but might seem unrelated and air-headed to outsiders.

That's not to say Ni isn't as creative. They're just different.
Ni users like myself, and most likely you, are better at mining certain topics or trains of thought for the best and most creative ideas, in a logical fashion.

Ne is going to just come up with them, they might not be as focused or streamlined, or as in depth when trying to drill down on a topic as Ni is.

This is why INTPs are some of the most amazing scientists and creative people we have, they have Ne as their auxiliary function, which means it's filtered through Ti, which is all about accuracy, it guides their Ne in a way that makes logical sense and helps them sort out which Ne ideas are going to actually work in reality, which ones are best worth their time thinking about etc.
It's like their lightning storm of ideas is concentrated, they find it easier (in theory) to keep their ideas relevant to the topic, whereas a dominant Ne user might wind up all over the damn shop.

This way of thinking is way different to the INTJ using Ni + Te.
That's going to be more like.. mining for ideas based on one thing or path of thought.. and then seeking logical ways to turn it into reality using Te.

They could both come to the same conclusion on things, but the INTP might have already had the conclusion in his head from his Ti and Ne basically guiding the path to an instant conclusion, that makes logical sense.

The INTJ might have to dive into the matter to get the same ideas and conclusions. They might not just appear, under totally new circumstances.

I'm of the opinion that if the INTJ is put into circumstances they've been in before, or similar to it, they'd be able to better use their past experiences to fill in the gaps, and perhaps mine their train of thought to an accurate conclusion based on their experience, quicker than the INTP can brainstorm his way to a conclusion.

Ne is way better at winging it. It will be faster and appear more intelligent when improvising.
Ni is better when they use their experience to guide the path and fill in the gaps.

Hope this isn't too random and sporadic. I'm rushing this so I can get out to work.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for taking your time to write all of this, @Turi!

You come up with ideas in a linear fashion.
Yes, this is more of me. Most times during a conversation with someone I will have this linear pattern of thought in the back of my mind, sometimes branching into other subjects, and when I find something worth talking about I suddenly change topics and the person has to idea what happened. But then I explain the process backwards and it all makes sense in a really linear fashion. It can branch out like what you said about Ne and this bubble map but it's just not that quick, spontaneous and creative, is more of a link between the different topics. As you said perfectly it's not a brainstorm kind of thought, it does have a clear path, just not visible outside, maybe because there is no need to always talk about all the lines on the way, just the milestones or little stops as you put it.

And yes, I do have those hunches, but it's just the mind filling in the gaps. I don't see it as something like "feeling" the outside world and "reading" possible occurrences, but more like "of course, this happened a thousand times before, it has a big probability it's going to happen again", something more like pattern / tendencies / probability.

About the comparison about levels of creativity between Ni and Ne I understand what you say. I have much more streamlined ideas and for example in a project I will have a strong backbone to my suggestions but I don't give out so many suggestions because it takes time to come up with those. And maybe an Ne user will have much more suggestions and will have to explore them on the way to figure out how many and which ones are strong enough to pursue.

Thanks so much! I guess I can officially say I'm not a strong Ne user.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A quote (don't remember from where/who) that I saved on my Google Keep and seems great for this kind of discussion:

"But upon studying further we see that Ss use facts and objectivity to construct a more stable immediate world around them. INTJs, however, use facts and the granular points of reality as building blocks to build versions of the future that do not yet exist. It's in how we use these pieces that determines why they have meaning to us, and there is a meaningful fork at the intersection of ISTJ and INTJ when you go deeper."

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tried the MyPersonality.com tests and got these results:

badge2.png

ISTJ with super Sensing at 79%

Does Visual/Spatial have something to do with Si?
I'm really good with maps, location, left/right north/south instructions, tracing back a route, etc.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
@KayLitvin - yeah, Si definitely can be related to that - tracing back a route is a Si thing all over.

More than that though, ISTJ auxiliary function is extraverted thinking (Te) - that's what's going to make you great with maps and locations, and north-south instructions (combined with Se).

Last night, I read a book by Dario Nardi on the 8 cognitive functions, it made a whole lot of sense, I'll try condense what he says about Si and Te, see if it matches you.

Introverted Sensing is based a predictable standard - things like tradition, historical practice, a convention etc. He says it's basically what we know, what we're familiar with.
Si is basically.. "if it's not broke, don't fix it". Si doesn't want to reinvent the wheel. Si wants to do what's been working, what's proven to work over time.

A predictable standard might be something like.. a team-play in a sport that's been proven to work for your team - you'll be inclined to keep doing it, because it works. Users with strong Ne (linked to Si - this is why you don't relate to Ne - it's your weakest function) will be more inclined to try a new tactic.
Si doesn't see the point in that, when you've got something that already works.

Si is.. picking Heinz beans over some other brand you don't know about.. you know Heinz, everybody knows Heinz, Si is going to pick Heinz because it's what works. It's familiar. It's the predictable standard when compared to some random name beans.
On the Ne side of the Si-Ne scale, the user who prefers Ne would be more inclined to give the new beans a try, just for kicks.

So to use a predictable standard, Si relies on memory - strong Si users compare things to things they know, and see how it stacks up.
This could be going to your favourite restaurant and picking the same meal you usually pick, and noticing there's a little more salt or something with it this time. Si would go to the same restaurant a lot, because they know it, it's what works for them, it's their predictable standard.
Si would pick the same meal for the same reason. Si would compare the meal to how it's been before from it's vast storehouse/databank of knowledge, and know immediately that something is different.
Something doesn't match the predictable standard.

Si is about honouring time-tested traditions - christmas, birthdays, looking both ways before you cross the road, etc etc I mean it could be your Si that had you make this post in the first place, pondering some predictable standard about how you think you should be, how you'd like to be more like someone else etc, he's set the standard for you.

That's not to say Si can't adapt to change - if something passes the predictable standard test - whether it's by consent (passing of new laws through parliament) or if something simply makes more logical sense to you than the predictable standard (probably based off of other things you already know), then Si is happy to adapt.
Si doesn't want to change for the sake of change.

Now, with Te - this is based off of having a measurement device. This could be a ruler, stopwatch, a map, etc, an external measuring device. Something in the real world. Something real that helps to break up and organize things in your mind - like time.. minutes, seconds.. zones on a map..
A measuring device is like.. when all students get marked according to a standard measuring device at the end of the school year.

The book gives an example of Te sorting apples of various colours, into different baskets, one for cooking, one for juicing, one for composting, based on the colour. This is Te using a measurement device - the apples colour, to sort what apples should go where, what they can be used for.

Te is well loved and appreciated in todays world. I'd venture to say it's just about the most business-related function of all - it's the one the train of thought supervisors or managers would use to compare how employees have been going - measuring their sales on the whiteboard against a measuring device (expected sales for the week) etc.
Now you could combine your Te and Si to have that whiteboard reflect expected sales for the week for each individual employee, based on their sales history in the past.

ISTJs are absolutely integral to todays society, they are the quintessential hard-worker, they are the ones who won't shake the boat, they'll follow instructions and get the job done - the way it's been proven to work, the way they've been taught to do it, by the book (Si). They'll aim to complete tasks by deadlines or whatever other measurement devices they're given (perhaps, buy a certain amount of product for under $5000 etc) with their Te.

Si and Te are at the heart of the working world, imo.

Now that's not to say you're not creative - that'll come later in life, as you get older, your inferior Ne will develop - after you hit 30 IIRC, your inferior function begins to develop.

Ne in ISTJs will be about new ideas etc based on their Si and Te - they'll be ideas that will go through a rigorous thought process regarding.. will this work in the real world? Will this help sort A from B? They'll be practical ideas, I would imagine, but ones that can be used for real. Useful ideas.
I'd imagine they'd be based on things the ISTJ user already knows - using their Si - to ensure the ideas are as good as, or based on, a predictable standard.

So, they won't be complete airy-fairy ideas with no practical purpose. They'll be real world stuff for real world people, to help them do things more efficiently, or better etc.
In theory.

ANYWAY, I mean this might not resonate with you at all, I just thought I'd fill you in on how I read Si and Te because they're the ISTJs dominant and auxiliary functions.
You might read this and think.. oh dayum that's me all over boi.. if so, cool, it means you can begin to work on your functions and get it all happening earlier in life.

·
Registered
39 Posts
@Feldem, I'm curious to know how you are learning you are more of an ISTJ and how this "with ISFJ and INTP tendencies" work.

Also is it possible to have tendencies leaning towards other types? Or is it more of working less important cognitive functions?

I read today that there are shadow functions.
Hello! Sorry for the time taken to answer.
I am still reading and learning about how cognitive functions take over in different contexts.
The thing is, my Ti and Fe are pretty well developed for a ISTJ, and my Te and Fi are well developed for a ISFJ as well. I get confused whether I am using Ti/Te or Fe/Fi in a given situation. But yes, I meant it in terms of shadow functions and working less developed functions, although I think this theory comes from socionics.
From the information that you presented, it seems that you are a primarily Ni user, so I would go with INTJ for you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Now I have read all your posts besides your first reply for me, I would say I am confused about your use of Si/Ni. At least I agree that you are not an INTP

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
More than that though, ISTJ auxiliary function is extraverted thinking (Te) - that's what's going to make you great with maps and locations, and north-south instructions (combined with Se).
My Te is always testing very high, the highest cognitive function of all, next being Ti. My therapist said that my T tested next to 90% (as she doesn't use cognitive functions) and when is super high like this is probably because you have some unbalanced issues, probably will test Turbulent as opposed to Assertive (she likes the test of 16Personalities.com as a great tool if you don't have a therapist to evaluate you), and probably will lean to unhealthy aspects of your personality because of this unbalance. And as I've been talking with Mr. Castello in PM most of my answers lead back to Te as well.

Introverted Sensing is based a predictable standard - things like tradition, historical practice, a convention etc. (...)
So to use a predictable standard, Si relies on memory - strong Si users compare things to things they know, and see how it stacks up.
This could be going to your favourite restaurant and picking the same meal you usually pick, and noticing there's a little more salt or something with it this time.
This part about Si is not me at all. I dislike birthdays, christmas, office rules, religion, any of this. I've rebeled and questioned all traditions, tried different religions in my teens, even Wicca which made me the supreme black sheep of my Catholic family, and now I don't have a religion because dogmas and practices don't suit me. This is what I find strange about being typed as Si.

The other part about picking the same meal is tottaly me and I think is because I don't like to be disappointed with sensory things - I like the same great tasty foods, the same masseur, the same perfumes, the same colors, etc. But I probably wouldn't notice the amount of salt.

And I have to tell you guys two stories about how I can't see weird or different things in the environment:

There was this one time I complimented my co-worker for her new nose piercing, and she said she always had it since she started working there 6 months before.

The other story I was crossing the street with my friend, and she started heading to the other sidewalk in the traffic light - the wrong side of the restaurant we were going. When we finally arrived in the same spot she was laughing her @ss off and I asked why and she told me as I crossed there was a homeless man that started stripping his clothes off and swinging his private parts, and I didn't notice it at all and passed right beside him! The funniest part is that she said he got super disappointed since I didn't look at his "thing". Hahahaha

So I guess I would make a terrible police officer or inspector.

Si is about honouring time-tested traditions - christmas, birthdays, looking both ways before you cross the road, etc
And as I'm writing this I notice I don't look both ways and even to the front hahahaha. Actually I have to admit I relly much more on my hearing than on my sight when I'm crossing a street. And I don't have a car, I really walk a lot, so I guess it's working for me. But I know it's not right. I just feel it makes me walk faster.

Now, with Te - this is based off of having a measurement device. This could be a ruler, stopwatch, a map, etc, an external measuring device. Something in the real world. Something real that helps to break up and organize things in your mind - like time.. minutes, seconds.. zones on a map..
A measuring device is like.. when all students get marked according to a standard measuring device at the end of the school year.

The book gives an example of Te sorting apples of various colours, into different baskets, one for cooking, one for juicing, one for composting, based on the colour. This is Te using a measurement device - the apples colour, to sort what apples should go where, what they can be used for.

Te is well loved and appreciated in todays world. I'd venture to say it's just about the most business-related function of all - it's the one the train of thought supervisors or managers would use to compare how employees have been going - measuring their sales on the whiteboard against a measuring device (expected sales for the week) etc.
Now you could combine your Te and Si to have that whiteboard reflect expected sales for the week for each individual employee, based on their sales history in the past.
Everything you said about Te I can relate, and to attest to it there are my geometry grades for example.

You might read this and think.. oh dayum that's me all over boi.. if so, cool, it means you can begin to work on your functions and get it all happening earlier in life.
Haha really liked the "oh dayum"! You trully helped me, I see much clearer what is Si and Te now. I guess I have such strong Te that my first function is a bit blured, or maybe I do use a little bit of Si with Ni. Or as I've just thought about it maybe it's more an Ni thing but with such strong Te, rellying sooo much in external data that I may appear a strong Si, I don't know. Maybe I'm inventing things that don't make sense.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hello! Sorry for the time taken to answer.
I am still reading and learning about how cognitive functions take over in different contexts.
The thing is, my Ti and Fe are pretty well developed for a ISTJ, and my Te and Fi are well developed for a ISFJ as well. I get confused whether I am using Ti/Te or Fe/Fi in a given situation. But yes, I meant it in terms of shadow functions and working less developed functions, although I think this theory comes from socionics.
From the information that you presented, it seems that you are a primarily Ni user, so I would go with INTJ for you.
Thank you for helping me while you are still on your own search. Sometimes I would like to give my input on other threads but don't feel confident enough about what I do know about MBTI yet, and from what I've seen here about cognitive functions that are much more important.

There was this test I took that gave the percentages of all the cognitive functions. Mine #1 was Te and #2 Ti. There was no S/N in this positions. And as I've said on my post above I have such strong T that it sure unbalances me to the point that I have to train my F side to understand where people are coming from and trying not to give my unsolicited advice and actually give them what they need regardless of what I judge is the right or best for them.

So maybe you have T or F unbalanced in a way that blures you vision too? Since you said what I wrote resonates with you so much. I would say T, though.

Now I have read all your posts besides your first reply for me, I would say I am confused about your use of Si/Ni. At least I agree that you are not an INTP
As I've been talking in PM with Mr. Castello we saw strong Te, not a doubt, but it's not clear if we see Si or Ni either. I don't know if there are theories enabling such things as IxTJ or INTJ leaning to ISTJ and these kind of things, but for me it's looking like a possibility, more the second though.

Or maybe INTJ with such strong Te that makes me more connected to the real world and less with the imaginary world as a pure INTJ would. Maybe that's why I don't have such strong hunches. They do happen but I get doubtful since I relly so much on real info, real aspects of the real world.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts