Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to start off, sorry if this is in the wrong place of the forum. I don't typically do these kinds of things and am not accustomed to the correct procedures of starting a thread.

I have been wandering on this forum for a few hours and have really not found any answers, so I found a list of 20 questions that I hope will help pinpoint what type I am. I originally thought I was an ISTP, or an INTP, but the test I just took in this forum told me I was an ISTJ. I'm really confused and hoped someone here might help me figure it all out.

Here are the questions that I answered and I hope they're as specific as need be and if not I will try to elaborate as much as I can.

Thanks for helping!

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type? When I read up on a few different types it seems as though I have a mixture of all of them but not just one.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why? I yearn for excitement, and challenges, also stability. The first two because I love doing action things and I get extremely obsessed over challenges and especially get a high from completing those challenges. Stability because I want to know that tomorrow I’ll have a job and that the people I know will be there, I like to know that there is something concrete in my life before I go off and do something spontaneous.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way. I decided to try a new method at work and implemented it perfectly and the outcome was that I was congratulated and I saved the company some money and also proved that my way worked!

4) What makes you feel inferior? When I’m not needed or my suggestions are cast aside, but then later on when someone finds out that if they would have done what I said in the first place we wouldn’t be in the mess that they created….

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.) I tend to try and think about all the outcomes, I typically think of how it will benefit me but I don’t like to screw people over because I value those relationships.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome? Yes I like to have control of the outcome and I don’t like doing the same thing every time so I try and find new and improved methods that are more efficient.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it? At my wedding reception, I probably had a little much to drink but I remember it very vividly. I completely let loose and just had fun. I know I was the groom and technically second to that of my bride but I was living it up, dancing on the dance floor, just having fun. I didn’t particularly like walking around saying hi to everyone and thanking them because it was like I was a robot repeating myself to people I would probably not see for a long time or ever….

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc) Definitely hands on, if someone shows me how and I do it myself a couple times I’m good to go.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as? Organized, I don’t have like color coded stuff but my closet is completely sorted, dresser is sorted, I have a file cabinet that has everything labeled. My computer is logically organized( or if it’s not now I’ll do it later). My garage and tools are all organized. I think you get the picture.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it? I’m typically skeptical unless it just makes complete common sense. If I don’t like it I will research it and find out if it’s for real and until then, I kind of don’t believe it.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself? I don’t like “belonging” to a group. I don’t like to stand out but I won’t change who I am just to make someone happy. They either accept me or don’t. I do get along with just about everyone, I just don’t consider everyone friends.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions? Depends on the situation but I tend to think before I speak and I prefer to only have conversations with one person. It’s easier with one person, that way you don’t have to entertain or try and think of what to say to both/or more people…

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words? I like to know where I’m jumping before I leap. And actions speak way louder than words. Someone can talk all day but at the end if they didn’t act upon it they basically just wasted my time.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do? Which favorite show? And can I record it? J I would have to know what they are doing before I made a decision, unless I’m just in a carefree mood, which isn’t very often.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out? Depends on the situation, if I’m playing baseball I’ll just go with it and have fun and just tell myself to relax. If I’m stressed out about stuff outside of action oriented things I’ll tend to just constantly think about what to do or what to say, etc.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people? Some can be overbearing, inconsiderate, too introverted, too extroverted, some I just don’t understand how they get fulfillment from certain things.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people? I like learning interesting things, nothing specific but I don’t have anything that just draws me in. I like to know a little bit about everything and everyone. I don’t have a main focus at the moment.

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life? Probably the most important but I tend to avoid those things and find what excites me the most and give that my attention. Like trying to figure out my personality….

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality? I don’t know, I’ve never asked them. They would probably say that I’m confusing, have a decent sense of humor that is sometimes border line weird. They would probably never say I would do something without a purpose behind it. I would help someone who needs it but not without heavily thinking about not doing it.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing? Biking, skiing, shooting, fixing my bike, traveling, chilling with my wife, playing with my dog, watching a movie, playing boggle, researching the next cool gadget to buy, etc…

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
Sounds fairly similar to me, as an ISTJ. At least I can relate to a lot of it.

What is your enneagram? It sounds like you might be a 6w? with many things - MBTI isn't the end-all be-all.

If you're still not sure, try having a look into the Cognitive Functions as well - MBTI is a cut-down version of that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I read between the ISTP, ISTJ, and INTJ I am definitely more comfortable saying that I am an ISTP but with tendencies to relate with the N and J side of things. The J especially because of the organizing and a few other things. This is also probably because I live in a household where there are mostly J's. My brother is an INTJ and my mom is an ESFJ.

I will definitely look into what Yardiff Bey is talking about with the 6w, because I have no clue what that means.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
K, the one that jdog linked me to I ended up being a type 5 SO, and then next in line was a type 3 SX, however the Enneagram test on this forum gave me a type 6 with a 7 wing? Not really sure if I'm one or the other....those tests are hard for me because everything is situational for me and I do different things sometime...

Lol, even the Cog test that I just told me I was most likely a ESTJ then ISFP and then an ESFP?? I would say I could come across as being an E but I definitely do not thing so. I tend to get drained in social environments unless it's just once in a blue moon. My reception for example someone probably would have thought I was an E but afterward I crashed mentally and physically....

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
K, the one that jdog linked me to I ended up being a type 5 SO, and then next in line was a type 3 SX, however the Enneagram test on this forum gave me a type 6 with a 7 wing? Not really sure if I'm one or the other....those tests are hard for me because everything is situational for me and I do different things sometime...

Lol, even the Cog test that I just told me I was most likely a ESTJ then ISFP and then an ESFP?? I would say I could come across as being an E but I definitely do not thing so. I tend to get drained in social environments unless it's just once in a blue moon. My reception for example someone probably would have thought I was an E but afterward I crashed mentally and physically....
Sounds like a definite introvert then, that describes us to a T. Hmmmm...I call upon @MBTI Enthusiast for some enthusiastic help. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apparently from the personality test I took from jdog I'm an ISTP results are:

Ta dah, your personality type is ISTP!
Introverted (I) 79%Extraverted (E) 21%
Sensing (S) 55%Intuitive (N) 45%
Thinking (T) 75%Feeling (F) 25%
Perceiving (P) 86%Judging (J) 14%

This is kinda interesting to me because the MB test I took about 2 years ago told me that The P and J were a lot closer than what this tells me....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I took the test from kisa and I'm apparently a pretty high fidelity (haha?) ISTJ. I suppose I'd be a good resource for "am I an ISTJ?" questions. I kinda wish I was higher on the feeling and perceiving scale... that 0% on perceiving taunts me. :p

Introverted (I) 100%
Extraverted (E) 0%
Sensing (S) 77%
Intuitive (N) 23%
Thinking (T) 75%
Feeling (F) 25%
Judging (J) 100%
Perceiving (P) 0%

·
Registered
693 Posts
Not to mention, most people forget that the type can vary over time. At one point I also tested as an ISTP, but at the time I was considering various options for my life in the future and I wasn't ready to just make a decision until some time had passed. I wasn't very decisive at times and I was more open to different choices. I knew I was using more of my perceiver function at the time because all the J's in my life were freaking out on me, thinking I had done drugs. (rolling eyes)

·
MOTM Feb 2012
ISTJ 9w1
7,167 Posts
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type? When I read up on a few different types it seems as though I have a mixture of all of them but not just one.
Can be Perceiverish, wanting to remain open to options instead of narrowing down immediately and then changing your mind later.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why? I yearn for excitement, and challenges, also stability. The first two because I love doing action things and I get extremely obsessed over challenges and especially get a high from completing those challenges. Stability because I want to know that tomorrow I’ll have a job and that the people I know will be there, I like to know that there is something concrete in my life before I go off and do something spontaneous.
Sounds much like an SP with the excitement and challenges. The stability sounds like type 6 like @Yardiff Bey said.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way. I decided to try a new method at work and implemented it perfectly and the outcome was that I was congratulated and I saved the company some money and also proved that my way worked!
Sounds like NP, they love implementing new methods. Don't really care for what has been tested and tried if there is something else that they think is better.

4) What makes you feel inferior? When I’m not needed or my suggestions are cast aside, but then later on when someone finds out that if they would have done what I said in the first place we wouldn’t be in the mess that they created….
Doesn't really point to any particular type, IMO.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.) I tend to try and think about all the outcomes, I typically think of how it will benefit me but I don’t like to screw people over because I value those relationships.
Most likely a T.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome? Yes I like to have control of the outcome and I don’t like doing the same thing every time so I try and find new and improved methods that are more efficient.
Again, probably IXTP. Typically SJs can tolerate routine much longer than other types.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it? At my wedding reception, I probably had a little much to drink but I remember it very vividly. I completely let loose and just had fun. I know I was the groom and technically second to that of my bride but I was living it up, dancing on the dance floor, just having fun. I didn’t particularly like walking around saying hi to everyone and thanking them because it was like I was a robot repeating myself to people I would probably not see for a long time or ever….
Probably an I who enjoyed using alcohol to loosen up a bit. :wink:

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc) Definitely hands on, if someone shows me how and I do it myself a couple times I’m good to go.
Sounds more Sensorish.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as? Organized, I don’t have like color coded stuff but my closet is completely sorted, dresser is sorted, I have a file cabinet that has everything labeled. My computer is logically organized( or if it’s not now I’ll do it later). My garage and tools are all organized. I think you get the picture.
Sounds more like a J, but I wouldn't rule out ISTP. This statement is definitely not INTP, though.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it? I’m typically skeptical unless it just makes complete common sense. If I don’t like it I will research it and find out if it’s for real and until then, I kind of don’t believe it.
Sounds like Type 5w6 or 6w5.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself? I don’t like “belonging” to a group. I don’t like to stand out but I won’t change who I am just to make someone happy. They either accept me or don’t. I do get along with just about everyone, I just don’t consider everyone friends.
Sounds like a T again.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions? Depends on the situation but I tend to think before I speak and I prefer to only have conversations with one person. It’s easier with one person, that way you don’t have to entertain or try and think of what to say to both/or more people…
Sounds like an I.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words? I like to know where I’m jumping before I leap. And actions speak way louder than words. Someone can talk all day but at the end if they didn’t act upon it they basically just wasted my time.
Sounds like an I.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do? Which favorite show? And can I record it? J I would have to know what they are doing before I made a decision, unless I’m just in a carefree mood, which isn’t very often.
Sounds like IxTx.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out? Depends on the situation, if I’m playing baseball I’ll just go with it and have fun and just tell myself to relax. If I’m stressed out about stuff outside of action oriented things I’ll tend to just constantly think about what to do or what to say, etc.
Sounds like a 6.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people? Some can be overbearing, inconsiderate, too introverted, too extroverted, some I just don’t understand how they get fulfillment from certain things.
Not really descriptive of type.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people? I like learning interesting things, nothing specific but I don’t have anything that just draws me in. I like to know a little bit about everything and everyone. I don’t have a main focus at the moment.
Sounds like P.

18) What kind of things do you pay the least attention to in your life? Probably the most important but I tend to avoid those things and find what excites me the most and give that my attention. Like trying to figure out my personality….
Sounds like SP.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality? I don’t know, I’ve never asked them. They would probably say that I’m confusing, have a decent sense of humor that is sometimes border line weird. They would probably never say I would do something without a purpose behind it. I would help someone who needs it but not without heavily thinking about not doing it.
Sounds like a T, with a 5 leaning.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing? Biking, skiing, shooting, fixing my bike, traveling, chilling with my wife, playing with my dog, watching a movie, playing boggle, researching the next cool gadget to buy, etc…
Sounds like SP.

Not to mention, most people forget that the type can vary over time. At one point I also tested as an ISTP, but at the time I was considering various options for my life in the future and I wasn't ready to just make a decision until some time had passed. I wasn't very decisive at times and I was more open to different choices. I knew I was using more of my perceiver function at the time because all the J's in my life were freaking out on me, thinking I had done drugs. (rolling eyes)
Personally, I think MBTI is mostly nature. I don't really believe it can change over time. But if you were stressed out you could have acted like an opposite type.

Overall, I think ISTP sounds pretty likely. And enneagram is likely 5w6 or 6w5. Maybe 6w7.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts