Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd say that I have most all of the traits of an ISTP, however the image that is often painted of the ISTP leads me to think they are somewhat mindless(no offense). I've always been a deep thinker and I've never had trouble with abstractions. Another thing that I've read about ISTP's, "more submissive then domineering." I'm not very domineering, but I'm certainly not submissive, at ALL. Something else that troubles me, I'm not so interested in mechanics. I can't stand working on cars. I wouldn't say it's hard for me to understand, but if something works, I'd rather not take it apart to figure out how.

Aside from that, I'd say I fit the description.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I'd say that I have most all of the traits of an ISTP, however the image that is often painted of the ISTP leads me to think they are somewhat mindless(no offense). I've always been a deep thinker and I've never had trouble with abstractions. Another thing that I've read about ISTP's, "more submissive then domineering." I'm not very domineering, but I'm certainly not submissive, at ALL. Something else that troubles me, I'm not so interested in mechanics. I can't stand working on cars. I wouldn't say it's hard for me to understand, but if something works, I'd rather not take it apart to figure out how.

I don't know, are you?
MBTI is a self assessment. Sometimes it helps to take the test, take various tests, answer the questions more than once. Then read the all the different descriptions. If the descriptions are you, bingo! If not then you may have to reconsider.
From your brief description you might be an INTP, but don't let anyone else make up your mind for you.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Welcome brother. Will you help maintain the peace of the board from those that would defile it?

The battle awaits, come.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you're comparing us to our INTP cousins, then yes we are mindless. They got the brains, we got the looks.
Says the woman that won't leave her coffin!

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I thought it was the other way around. An ISTP looks really intense and pensive from the outside, but then when you ask him what he is thinking about, he grunts and says 'pizza'.
That's because it would be too complicated and take too long to explain, and by the end of it he'd realize you weren't really interested to begin with.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
What you have described here is very ISTP. Many ISTPs have no trouble with the "abstract", and as we are dominant thinkers, you fit right in. Also, I don't like working on cars or mechanics either.

And whoever said ISTPs are submissive was smoking rocks.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
My (ISTP) husband doesn't have a problem with abstract thinking. He's just mostly apathetic to it.
Submissive? My husband isn't a leader or follower (though he can do both if the situation calls for it) But he's primarily a loner, meaning no one can push him around, but he won't fight you on an issue. He'll just calmly ignore you.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts

Let's see. I can't tell you what you are, but I can run a quick comparison with what you told and myself.
Deep thinking, check. Abstractions, check. The difference with N-type is that N-types like theories and abstractions for their own sake, and we want them to be useful for something. I have no idea where your interests lie, so I take MBTI.. do you read information about the types you (or someone else you know) might be, or do you read up everything you find just because it's an interesting theory?

Submission/domination doesn't seem to correlate with MBTI types at all. Also, there are different sub/dom situations! :crazy: However, ISTPs' laid back attitude combined with introversion might give the air of submission, but it's probably most because whatever issue is at hand doesn't really interest the ISTP in question. I don't see why I should have opinions about things that I don't care about, or, things I don't have enough knowledge to do an informed decision about. If you show me two restaurants and ask me where I want to eat, I will bounce the question back to you because I see no difference between them (but you might). If you want to buy a thingimajig and there are two alternatives, of which the given information is exactly the same, I have no basis to form an opinion of, so I will again happily agree with whatever you choose. On the other hand, If there is an issue I know about and have an opinion about, you're not turning my head. I will do what I want, but at the same time I don't really care what you do as long as it doesn't affect me. So - exactly what Linnifae said.

About mechanics - feel free to read my rants in other threads ( e.g. http://personalitycafe.com/istp-forum-mechanics/28988-im-one-you-guys-i-think.html#post645165 ) to find out my thoughts about that. I think people might get tired of me writing same stuff everywhere. In short: I think it's more about "I want to know how this works" -kind of thinking than screws and bolts. I mean, why are you reading about MBTI/ISTP-stuff in the first place? Maybe to learn why you behave as you do or what it means? See!

The "if it works, don't fix it" is probably part of the practical usage -thinking. I don't want to have information for information's sake; I'll look it up when I need it. Also, changes are usually for the worse, so whatever works can very well continue working as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, thanks for all of the posts. When I wrote, "mindless" I meant more so, lacking wisdom not intelligence. Again, this isn't my official opinion, it's just what I derive from the descriptions I've read. I.E. Jumping out of a plane without a parachute, then being provided one mid free-fall. Cool, yes. Wise, no. The adrenaline junkie type, but then again, I've read that seems to be a stereotype.

I'm going to assume you guys were joking when you said something to the nature of looking rigid and thinking about pizza, haha. In all seriousness, I'm not so great with the "serious sarcasm" for lack of a better term. I guess personality doesn't necessarily govern likes/dislikes? I think it may be safe to say I'm an ISTP, I do have a few remaining doubts, however. Such as, people always say I look "warm and friendly." Or "very approachable." I don't really have the "cold" look, although I don't typically show my emotions. Perhaps, it's just a social anxiety, feeling like I have to smile and be friendly all the time. To be "accepted."

When it gets down to business though, that changes significantly.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
When I wrote, "mindless" I meant more so, lacking wisdom not intelligence.

Must be a new stereotype.

At least I am a sponge for relevant information. Jumping off the plane isn't something that needs much wisdom, though. I do want to do that, but I don't see how it'd negate my university degree. Who told you that it's wise to lead a boring life?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Must be a new stereotype.

At least I am a sponge for relevant information. Jumping off the plane isn't something that needs much wisdom, though. I do want to do that, but I don't see how it'd negate my university degree. Who told you that it's wise to lead a boring life?
That's kind of my point. Wisdom and intelligence two separate things. Intelligence might develop a cure for cancer, but wisdom would understand the possibility and take the steps to prevent it(granted that's a subjective example and not true for all forms of cancer, but you get the point).

Maybe my debate will shed some light on my true personality?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
That's kind of my point. Wisdom and intelligence two separate things. Intelligence might develop a cure for cancer, but wisdom would understand the possibility and take the steps to prevent it(granted that's a subjective example and not true for all forms of cancer, but you get the point).

Maybe my debate will shed some light on my true personality?

I always thought that wisdom is what you get from reading books, observing others etc, while intelligence is the ability to do something with the information.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I always thought that wisdom is what you get from reading books, observing others etc, while intelligence is the ability to do something with the information.
Wise-having the power of discerning and judging properly as to what is true or right; possessing discernment, judgment, or discretion.

One can develop wisdom through observation. Wisdom goes beyond the facts, though. It's much deeper than that. I.E. Intelligence says, "On a rainy day, you should drive slower and be more cautious in order to enhance safety." Wisdom says, "I'll stay home, it's not important enough to risk my life for."

Again, a very extreme example, but it get's the point across.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Wise-having the power of discerning and judging properly as to what is true or right; possessing discernment, judgment, or discretion.

One can develop wisdom through observation. Wisdom goes beyond the facts, though. It's much deeper than that. I.E. Intelligence says, "On a rainy day, you should drive slower and be more cautious in order to enhance safety." Wisdom says, "I'll stay home, it's not important enough to risk my life for."

Again, a very extreme example, but it get's the point across.
In that light wisdom does sound boring. :tongue:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts