• INTP

Votes: 3 20.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

I'm a very confused 18 y/o NTP female. I used to think that I'm an INTP since I did the test a few years ago, but I also got INFP once or twice, plus I also got INTJ many time. But at the moment what I'm sure of is that I'm an xNTP.

I know that I'm an introvert, and I am an awkward shy person, but I also think that compared to other INTPs I see online, I'm actually kinda outgoing and I do stuff.

Here are a lot of pointers if you can please type me.

- As a child I was awkward but I was very friendly around others.
- I loved stories so much, I started reading Agatha Christie's books when I was 8.
- I have a good memory and can some things like scenes or dreams clearly.
- I applied for a position in the student council in my school and I became a vice-president.
- I was forced to give a speech to become a secretary in my college and I did and according to others it was a nice one.
-I'm thinking of becoming president next year, I'm awkward when it comes to interactions but I can still do it.
-I relate to the INTP chameleon behavior.
-I like making friends, when the new freshmen came I managed to talk to many of them (though not alone) and I was happy about it.
-After sitting for a long time with others till late at night I can't go straight to bed, I would have to sit and relax by myself and get some alone time.
- However I can't spend a whole day alone, I would have to talk to someone in person.
- when I get stressed, especially during the exams, I would go visit a lot of friends in the dorms.
- I hate very pessimistic or very optimistic ones.
- I'm an optimist pessimist.
- I look forwards to spending time with friends if they were close.
- I like coming up with new ideas (except when we have to brainstorm in class or something my brain shuts down).
- I'm picky about stuff like grammar and proper punctuation and use of words although my English isn't my first language.
- I used to be called a walking encyclopedia or a dictionary by some teachers.
- My friends keep asking me where I keep getting useless trivia from.
- When answering a message or a letter I would break down the message and answer each part separately.
- I was planning a BBQ with some friends last week, we were discussing whom we should invite. While they clearly refused inviting some people because they don't usually come when we invite them, I was worrying if they would see pics on social media and realize they weren't invited and what conflicts might arise, even though I also understood my friend's points.
- After that BBQ, I spent more time afterwards with some friends.
- I hate conflict, and because I don't get exposed much to it, I tend to cry a lot.
- I don't mind slightly offending people I don't like much. I might care a bit afterwards and think of apologizing but I won't care later.
- My friends tell me that I don't like people and I'm cold and mean sometimes and sweet other times.
- It's true at the beginning of 1st year of college I was smiley first few days then I decided they weren't worth it and I didn't like most of my current friends.
- I slightly dislike people I can't read because their intentions are never clear. However I'm good at reading people.
- I forgive but I never forget.
- I'm a logical person.
- I like thinking games.
- Though I procrastinate when it comes to chores and studies, I still do them. I especially have high standards for myself when it comes to studying though I don't spend as much effort as others. If I don't get high grades I get upset.
- At beginning of 1st year I used to sleep through a whole class for the whole semester, I ended up getting the highest mark in it.
- I never do my 100% best, and I still do well, I think I have fear of doing my best and not getting better results.
- I also have imposter syndrome.
- I used to think that as a female my Fe is developed well even if it's my inferior function but someone told me I might be ENTP.
- My dorm room is tidy when you look at it from a far but if you look properly inside (especially in the closets) It's not really.
- I never cared much about tidiness till I met an ENFP friend.
- I used to write fanfictions and every time I get an idea I would write it down immediately.
- When I feel really upset I try to shut down my mind but watching videos so I would stop thinking.
- I have many close friends but there is a barrier at which I keep them.
- I'm suspicious of other people a lot.
- I'm quick to judge and withdraw my judgement (even though they turn out correct sometimes).
- These days when I get upset, I try to analyze my feelings and the reasons behind them.
- I don't deal with my feelings once at a time, so I tend to explode sometimes. So if one day I get upset about something small I would cry about all the bad stuff that happened over a while.
- I'm too impatient to perfect an idea before presenting it to others. Before doing something new I would tell someone about it for feedback.

I hope these would help and i would appreciate it if you managed to read through the whole post.

Feel free to ask any question if it would help you determine my type.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even though I always had the desire to be popular, get along with everyone and have many friends. I tried and failed so I gave up.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
It's not about the quantity of friendships. It's about quality. That sounds cliche when I hear myself say it, but it's true. Also, on the subject of introversion versus extraversion (Jungian spelling), consider this. What truly differentiates those two "operating systems" (so to speak) is as much physical as it is theoretical. The introvert brain is wired with long pathways and fueled primarily by acetylcholine, a neurochemical that facilitates mental focus, hence the fact-based stereotype of the "obsessive nerd" being the exemplar of introversion. There's a upside and downside to it. The upside is that it makes the introvert able to become an expert in their field of interest with relative ease. The downside is that they might miss alternative opportunities that crop up beside them in the present moment because they're so focused forward and typically toward the future.

On the other hand, the extravert brain is wired with short pathways and fueled primarily by adrenaline and dopamine. This lends itself to adaptation and improvisation, often combined with kinesthetic intelligence. The downside is that this type of person typically has difficulty focusing on one thing at a time. They'll see the multitude of opportunities cropping up around them in the present moment, but will have trouble fixating on one in particular and committing themselves to it for the duration. Also, shyness and social awkwardness can be experienced by introverts and extraverts alike. It might simply be that introverts are over-represented in that domain due to our proclivity toward "obsession" (or "passion" if you prefer).

This is all the more reason why both types need each other. We fill in each others' gaps. No one is an island. No one is perfect. No one has to be perfect.

Reactions: nonpsychoactiveleg

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm 70% sure you're an ENTP.

The points that stood out to me when making this decision were:

-I like making friends, when the new freshmen came I managed to talk to many of them (though not alone) and I was happy about it.
-After sitting for a long time with others till late at night I can't go straight to bed, I would have to sit and relax by myself and get some alone time.
- However I can't spend a whole day alone, I would have to talk to someone in person.
- I'm quick to judge and withdraw my judgement (even though they turn out correct sometimes).
- I'm too impatient to perfect an idea before presenting it to others. Before doing something new I would tell someone about it for feedback.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
Hi

I'm a very confused 18 y/o NTP female. I used to think that I'm an INTP since I did the test a few years ago, but I also got INFP once or twice, plus I also got INTJ many time. But at the moment what I'm sure of is that I'm an xNTP.

I know that I'm an introvert, and I am an awkward shy person, but I also think that compared to other INTPs I see online, I'm actually kinda outgoing and I do stuff.

Here are a lot of pointers if you can please type me.

- As a child I was awkward but I was very friendly around others.
- I loved stories so much, I started reading Agatha Christie's books when I was 8.
- I have a good memory and can some things like scenes or dreams clearly.
- I applied for a position in the student council in my school and I became a vice-president.
- I was forced to give a speech to become a secretary in my college and I did and according to others it was a nice one.
-I'm thinking of becoming president next year, I'm awkward when it comes to interactions but I can still do it.
-I relate to the INTP chameleon behavior.
- when I get stressed, especially during the exams, I would go visit a lot of friends in the dorms.
- I hate very pessimistic or very optimistic ones.
- I'm an optimist pessimist.
- I look forwards to spending time with friends if they were close.
- I like coming up with new ideas (except when we have to brainstorm in class or something my brain shuts down).
- I'm picky about stuff like grammar and proper punctuation and use of words although my English isn't my first language.
- I used to be called a walking encyclopedia or a dictionary by some teachers.
- My friends keep asking me where I keep getting useless trivia from.
- When answering a message or a letter I would break down the message and answer each part separately.
- I was planning a BBQ with some friends last week, we were discussing whom we should invite. While they clearly refused inviting some people because they don't usually come when we invite them, I was worrying if they would see pics on social media and realize they weren't invited and what conflicts might arise, even though I also understood my friend's points.
- After that BBQ, I spent more time afterwards with some friends.
- I hate conflict, and because I don't get exposed much to it, I tend to cry a lot.
- I don't mind slightly offending people I don't like much. I might care a bit afterwards and think of apologizing but I won't care later.
- My friends tell me that I don't like people and I'm cold and mean sometimes and sweet other times.
- It's true at the beginning of 1st year of college I was smiley first few days then I decided they weren't worth it and I didn't like most of my current friends.
- I slightly dislike people I can't read because their intentions are never clear. However I'm good at reading people.
- I forgive but I never forget.
- I'm a logical person.
- I like thinking games.
- Though I procrastinate when it comes to chores and studies, I still do them. I especially have high standards for myself when it comes to studying though I don't spend as much effort as others. If I don't get high grades I get upset.
- At beginning of 1st year I used to sleep through a whole class for the whole semester, I ended up getting the highest mark in it.
- I never do my 100% best, and I still do well, I think I have fear of doing my best and not getting better results.
- I also have imposter syndrome.
- I used to think that as a female my Fe is developed well even if it's my inferior function but someone told me I might be ENTP.
- My dorm room is tidy when you look at it from a far but if you look properly inside (especially in the closets) It's not really.
- I never cared much about tidiness till I met an ENFP friend.
- I used to write fanfictions and every time I get an idea I would write it down immediately.
- When I feel really upset I try to shut down my mind but watching videos so I would stop thinking.
- I have many close friends but there is a barrier at which I keep them.
- I'm suspicious of other people a lot.
- These days when I get upset, I try to analyze my feelings and the reasons behind them.
- I don't deal with my feelings once at a time, so I tend to explode sometimes. So if one day I get upset about something small I would cry about all the bad stuff that happened over a while.

I hope these would help and i would appreciate it if you managed to read through the whole post.

Feel free to ask any question if it would help you determine my type.
Bolded lines are exclusively ENTP.
Underlined lines are exclusively INTP.
Red lines don't fit the xNTP spectrum.
Everything else is either generally xNTP or not type-related.

If you've got questions about any particular lines please ask and I'll tell you my reasoning.

·
Registered
189 Posts
ENTP.
I'd say we're similar in this.
I used to think I was INTP for the longest damn time.
This was when I was homeschooled. It's scary how much homeschooling can suppress your extrovertedness.
Though I just consider myself an xNTP, I don't care whether or not someone types me INTP or ENTP, they both make sense to me. So maybe you can relate to that.
But anyway, I'd say you have a lot more ENTP tendencies than INTP tendencies, and you say yourself that you think you rely more on Ne than Ti, so I'm going with ENTP.

Here are just a few things about me that you might be able to relate to. I figured I'd add this in just in case you might still be questioning yourself. These will all revolve around my thoughts when I questioned if I were INTP or ENTP.
-I can recharge by hanging out with people, but I can just as easily recharge by hanging out with myself.
-A few friends mean a lot to me, popularity means nothing to me.
-I don't like to go even just a day without talking to someone, but if I do, that's okay too.
-I refuse to go anywhere new without someone I trust with me.
-I talk to myself (or this other part of myself....Hard to explain. I have a post about it on here somewhere.) when I'm alone.
-Grammatical errors distract me. Crooked things that are meant to be straight bother the hell out of me. That might just be an OCD thing, but I don't think I have OCD. I'm a messy messy person.
-I might have a slight case of ADD/ADHD. Never professionally diagnosed, but it wouldn't surprise me if I had it.
-I don't like to initiate conversation, but I'll agree almost every time someone invites me to go somewhere unless I have more important plans.

·
Registered
341 Posts
You are an ENTP, with a robust J.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ENTP.

You like facts/knowledge.
You like alone time but need company.
You are extraverted feeling which is tertiary function of ENTP, so you worried about the people not invited to the BBQ.

When stressed or depressed do you go back to movies or music from your childhood? That is ENTP introverted sensing function.

Do you procrastinate? Or start things but struggle to finish them?

Google PERSONALITY HACKER. It's a great podcast you can listen to.
Listen to some of the shows about ENTP and INTP and you will better make up your mind.

I must confess that at first I used to come up as ENFJ! I blame this on circumstances and trying to conform to what I think people expected of me.

When I got ENTP, it made so much sense.
It's me without doubt.

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
Reading this i understand why INTPf is quite rare. I guess it is the hormonal feminine side which always trying to pull INTPf towards ENTPf. Back and forth.

ENTPf occurence is around 30% higher than INTPf. I think the difference is quite significant. This may explain it.

But you may want to disagree.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'll give some Jungian definitions on extraversion and introversion, answer them honestly for yourself (don't have to type it here if you don't want to) and see which one resonates more with you, which one is more "natural" to you, and perhaps it can point to which type you are. Think about how you were when you were younger, e.g. childhood, early teenage years.

Terminology:
Below, I'll use 'outer world' to explain Jungs 'object' and 'inner world' to explain Jungs 'subjective factor'.

Extraverts are in love with the outer world. They align themselves with the outer world, they get controlled by it. If the world moves in one direction, the extravert follows because he/she aligns himself with the outer world. The inner world is not as developed for an extravert according to Jung, and the inner world exists only to the degree it can align itself with the outer world. This can have a multitude of different behavioral tendencies: a common one is that extraverts deal with a changing and active external environment relatively better than introverts and extraverts can feel energized when the external world is highly active, such as talking to a lot of people or being at parties.

Traits that Jung use to describe extraverted types: "[...] open, sociable, jovial, or at least friendly and approachable characters who are on good terms with everybody, or quarrel with everybody, but always relate to them in some way and in turn are affected by them."

Introverts are in love with their subjective experience of the world (Jung uses 'subjective factor'). They resist the outer world, as if they are affraid that the world will control them or gain dominance over them. If something happens in the outer world, an introvert reacts immediately but internally - to the outer world it can appear like the introvert doesn't react since the reaction is internal and not external. Many people describe this as introverts having a 'subjective filter' upon which they view the external world. This can have a multitude of different behavioral tendencies: a common one is that introverts deal with a changing and active external environment a little bit worse than extraverts since they need to process everything internally, therefore introverts can feel drained when the external world is highly active, such as talking to a lot of people or being at parties.

Traits that Jung use to describe introverted types:"[...] reserved, inscrutable, rather shy people [...]". Jung also says on page 373: "I also mentioned that the introvert interposes a subjective view between the perception of the object and his own action, which prevents the action from assuming a character that fits the objective situation."

How do I personally experience introversion (my perspective, type = INTJ): I have always been extremely shy, since childhood, as if I'm afraid to open up to other people and reveal my rich inner life to the world. I love being around people that I know and I like extraverted activities such as parties and people gatherings. I can also come across as assertive and determined to people. However, if I do it for too long it will drain me a lot and make me 'hyperactive', like a machine that has been working on over-capacity for too long. Then I need to be a lone a bit, perhaps watch a movie, play a video game, watch a Youtube clip or read a book, to recuperate. I don't act and react upon the external world immediately, I want to contemplate, calculate and study first before I utter my mouth.

A good example: Yesterday, there was an accident at the train station. I saw fire fighters carrying black plastic bags from the rails. How do I react as an introvert? I start analyzing and analyzing, trying to perceive what has happened. Was it a suicide? Was it something else? I really want to ask the fire fighters what has happened so that I know what to respond. I even started making up an answer in my brain of what I would respond if I asked the fire fighters. What did I do? Nothing. I just walked past, didn't say a word to anyone. This is a very introverted reaction, lots of activity in the inner world but to the outer world it looks like you don't even react! I wanted to ask, but I didn't ask, instead I created a multitude of different scenarios in my brain. Would I have been an extravert, e.g. ENT, I think it would have been much more likely that I would have asked...

Another example is the message I'm writing right now. I've put about 1 year of extremely intensive studying of Typology (Jungs books, Keirseys book, various articles and vlogs from official MBTI and various other Youtubers, Socionics, Enneagram, etc.) because I don't feel like I want to utter my mouth about extraversion and introversion if I don't know what I'm talking about. The message above is not just me 'shooting from the hip', you can verify my definitions of extraversion and introversion in Jungs Psychological Types pages 330-335 (and other parts of the book). This itself is another typical way for introverts to behave in general, while extraverts are more comfortable 'just doing things'. Moreover, the way I've structured this message is a very INT way of communicating (abstract, theoretical, citations and references, I've edited this message probably 4-5 times, etc.), if it's similar to how you think/reason/write it can be an indicator that you're an INT (in your case likely INTP).

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
I feel like the things @nonpsychoactiveleg wrote could fit an entp.

..and I esp relate to this:

"I was planning a BBQ with some friends last week, we were discussing whom we should invite. While they clearly refused inviting some people because they don't usually come when we invite them, I was worrying if they would see pics on social media and realize they weren't invited and what conflicts might arise, even though I also understood my friend's points. "

I always hate excluding people, tho perhaps that's more an ennegram 9 thing ... but I feel like ENTPs tend towards always trying to socialize and be friends with everyone. and ENTPs have Fe not Fi, so we are going to be concerned about other people's feelings and not have to worry about our own because ours are not sensitive. "they don't usually come when we invite them"? "so what? I won't be offended if they don't come, but they might be offended if I don't invite them" is how I'd expect an entp might view it.

but there's no smoking gun in what was written and I could see nonpsychoactiveleg being intp.

Myself I'm an entp who can come across as very shy and quiet and awkward.

It's a bit weird because I tend to be a very quiet person and very antisocial and I spend a lot of time by myself. However, when I do go out and socialize it's prob easily apparent that i'm an extrovert... lol the other day I was at a bar with two other friends were having a convo and I started talking and sharing my opinions of something and as I talked knext thing I new I had drawn in like 4 strangers into the conversation w/ us and getting them involved in it w/o thinking. I always find myself talking to strangers and making friends when I go out. I feel like most of the day I go around being rather quiet but then when I do open up to talking I'm suddenly soap boxing and drawing a crowd around me.

Another thing I do is where ever I work I always get to know everyone: what they went/are going to school for, their career ambitions, hobbies, what siblings they grew up w/, where they've traveled, SOs, kids, pets, etc.... it just seems like natural small talk and I don't feel like I'm particularly talkative or social in doing this... but then i'm surprised when other people i work with don't know as much about each other...I think it's perhaps a extroverted thing of being more focused on other people and getting to know them then internal thoughts and ones self that just causes me to naturally have curiosity about everyone and natural tendency to find out and zero in on the things that another cares about which then makes conversation and getting to know anyone easy.

I think perhaps other people look for similar interests and if they don't find any then they don't really socialize w/ that person much, but for me, I just look to talk about the other person's interests whatever they might be, because I'm interested w/ everything and esp understanding other people in general, so i'm just looking to learn about what they're excited and passionate about w/o regard for how it overlaps w/ my own interests. Which is probably an extroverted Ne thing. I think ENFPs and ENTPs are similar in this way.

so maybe that was helpful if you were still unsure about I vs E

·
Registered
60 Posts
I often assume that as far as it goes for INTP, ''we'' always manage to get the same result indicating that we're predominantly INTP disregarding what sort of tests we take. I did take countless tests just to try out this theory and well, i always end up getting the same result ( it could just be that most test are grossly exaggerated and it's admittedly quite easy to tweak the choice to end up being typed as one type only :winky:)

Then again, you dont really have to categorise yourself to only one type anyway. We're all inherently different, regardless of which group we belong to. And there's the term ambivert being tossed around, yes? You could just be one of the people out there who is naturally well-balanced and was able to learn to grow with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts