Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long time reading and trying to understand the cognitive functions, I think I kinda get them now. I am leaning towards being a sensor because this is my "understanding" of how it works:

Dominant- your immediate reaction to any piece of information. Sure, depending on the information, you might get different reactions which is what makes things confusing. But I guess then you have to determine what you have a tendency to do/prioritize in your day to day life to narrow it down.

To note:

- I am EXTREMELY prone to self doubt. My initial reaction when I am to do a task I am not used to is to figure out whether I am able to do it in the first place.
- If I am unsure about how to do something and someone is relying on me to get it down (e.g. I used to work in retail pharmacy, and on my first day someone had an issue they needed me to solve. My initial reaction was to freak out internally and try and get the manager because I felt bad for the person that they were stuck with this inefficient 19 year old when they just wanted to go home)
- I get outraged by certain cases if I can empathize with the victim involved. E.g., if I hear about a shooting or someone dying in a terrible way, I feel awful. I also get angered by the perpetrator, but actually I end up getting more curious than anything about what causes people to harm others, outside of obvious reasons like revenge. I decided to minor in criminal justice because of this. (BTW, this is also why I used to struggle to see violence in films because I could imagine the terror and pain the victim is dealing with. over time, I started getting more desensitized to this as I forced myself to watch more and more)

- To further the previous response, if something impacts me personally, I want to know why. E.g. I have acne which frustrates me, so I can spend hours trying to figure out why this is happening, what can I do about it, etc.

-As I am prone to self doubt, I am very impressionable and go the "easy" way out by assuming that what someone else said is correct. I don't really try to think for myself as much cuz I don't trust my abilities to get the "truth" about something (which is why I'm creating this thread XD).

-Whenever I read something, I have a voice in my head for everyone's posts. If the "voice" sounds more confident, then I tend to trust the information more. If the voice sounds like the person may be less educated or insecure or something, I trust it less. Of course, I doubt it even more if they are telling me information I like to hear, so I research the person a bit to make sure they are a seemingly reliable source.

-Whenever I read something, I cannot just take details separately. Here I would say I focus on the "big" picture more, i.e. how everything connects into one large picture. When studying, I like developing a map to see how things work, and whenever I come across a problem, I alter that map or play around with it in order to figure out how to get the answer. I did this a lot in chemistry or biology class and needed to see how every single thing relates.

- OR, I just instinctively know what they are talking about- I call this "clicking". The information "clicks" in my mind; it makes sense; I "get" what they are talking about. E.g. I could almost immediately understand what was being talked about in terms of "Frame of reference" when I was studying physics. To me, I immediately said in my head "This is point of view". I like to use analogies a lot to understand things, and the analogies are instinctual. This is what I did initially when trying to understand cognitive functions. I would look at characters typed a certain way, and see if I could relate to the "essence" of them in terms of their specific decisions or ways of thinking. I had to stick to characters I already knew about thoroughly in order to get the full "essence". But I did get frustrated after a while, realizing these characters were, many times, bland and archetypal, and not covering the full flesh of a human being in the real world.

- I procrastinate. A lot. On everything. In the back of my head, I know I could be doing something better; e.g. learning to deal with my insecurities to be able to study subjects objectively and be able to trust my judgements better, but instead I'd rather do that "tomorrow". I have time. I'm still young. (Not anymore I'm am! Terrible sense of time.)

- I think this may be "solipsism", but I can figure out why someone's doing something, and usually I relate it back to myself. E.g. One of my coworkers at the pharmacy liked to bully me and a few others behind my back. I could tell he was actually extremely insecure about himself, and loved seeing others do stupid things at the job. Funny enough, I accidentally came across his filled prescription when I was searching for another customer's, and I saw that it was for anxiety meds. I didn't say anything ofc (and accidentally, as if I did it purposefully, it would be a HIPPA violation lol), but my mind jumped to questioning why the hell would he fill his prescriptions out at this pharmacy when any one of us could easily come across it? That made no sense to me immediately, but I didn't really think too much about it after.

- I am very emotionally tied to music. If I am listening to a song, it must match my mood perfectly. I mentioned I daydream a lot, often times the music helps me create weird images in my head either of me or someone else doing something that matched the music. Sometimes the images relate to the music video if I saw it, and I just make my own strange version of it but kinda include many of their themes.

- I have social anxiety so I am very sensitive to certain cues or certain words in a text message which may show if someone doesn't want to talk to me anymore, finds me weird, etc. I've always had trouble making friends most of my life, so I use escapism in daydreams to deal with this.

So this is a lot, but hopefully I can be guided towards the right direction! I want to understand myself better. I also know that I have very deep self-confidence issues that I need to sort out (as well as tendency to procrastinate and do the easy/lazy way out until it's too late), and not sure to what extent that may have hindered some of my abilities.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You're an INFP in my opinion.

After a long time reading and trying to understand the cognitive functions, I think I kinda get them now. I am leaning towards being a sensor because this is my "understanding" of how it works:

Dominant- your immediate reaction to any piece of information. Sure, depending on the information, you might get different reactions which is what makes things confusing. But I guess then you have to determine what you have a tendency to do/prioritize in your day to day life to narrow it down.

To note:

- I am EXTREMELY prone to self doubt. My initial reaction when I am to do a task I am not used to is to figure out whether I am able to do it in the first place. inferior Te (extroverted Thinking) inferior Te users tend to struggle strategizing in situations
- If I am unsure about how to do something and someone is relying on me to get it down (e.g. I used to work in retail pharmacy, and on my first day someone had an issue they needed me to solve. My initial reaction was to freak out internally and try and get the manager because I felt bad for the person that they were stuck with this inefficient 19 year old when they just wanted to go home) Fi (introverte feeling) very descriptive of your inner emotional state
- I get outraged by certain cases if I can empathize with the victim involved. E.g., if I hear about a shooting or someone dying in a terrible way, I feel awful. I also get angered by the perpetrator, but actually I end up getting more curious than anything about what causes people to harm others, outside of obvious reasons like revenge. I decided to minor in criminal justice because of this. (BTW, this is also why I used to struggle to see violence in films because I could imagine the terror and pain the victim is dealing with. over time, I started getting more desensitized to this as I forced myself to watch more and more) Fi/Ne (extroverted Intuition) Fi with the empathy, introverted ethical stances - getting upset if something crosses your personal values. Ne curiosity wants to assist Fi in learning why people do things to others.

- To further the previous response, if something impacts me personally, I want to know why. E.g. I have acne which frustrates me, so I can spend hours trying to figure out why this is happening, what can I do about it, etc. Fi/Ne "impacts me personally = Fi I want to know why = Ne

-As I am prone to self doubt, I am very impressionable and go the "easy" way out by assuming that what someone else said is correct. I don't really try to think for myself as much cuz I don't trust my abilities to get the "truth" about something (which is why I'm creating this thread XD). Fi/Ne and low Te - Ne has a hard time coming to a conclusion or absolute truth, don't trust your own thinking which is low Te. Te wants to find external sources of logic

-Whenever I read something, I have a voice in my head for everyone's posts. If the "voice" sounds more confident, then I tend to trust the information more. If the voice sounds like the person may be less educated or insecure or something, I trust it less. Of course, I doubt it even more if they are telling me information I like to hear, so I research the person a bit to make sure they are a seemingly reliable source. Enneagram 6 Feeling type low Thinking function, leaning towards Te over Ti -- Enneagram 6 types looks for trusted people and sources and have a hard time trusting their own thoughts

-Whenever I read something, I cannot just take details separately. Here I would say I focus on the "big" picture more, i.e. how everything connects into one large picture. When studying, I like developing a map to see how things work, and whenever I come across a problem, I alter that map or play around with it in order to figure out how to get the answer. I did this a lot in chemistry or biology class and needed to see how every single thing relates. Ne -- Extraverted Intuition wants to see how everything in the world connects to each other

- OR, I just instinctively know what they are talking about- I call this "clicking". The information "clicks" in my mind; it makes sense; I "get" what they are talking about. E.g. I could almost immediately understand what was being talked about in terms of "Frame of reference" when I was studying physics. To me, I immediately said in my head "This is point of view". I like to use analogies a lot to understand things, and the analogies are instinctual. This is what I did initially when trying to understand cognitive functions. I would look at characters typed a certain way, and see if I could relate to the "essence" of them in terms of their specific decisions or ways of thinking. I had to stick to characters I already knew about thoroughly in order to get the full "essence". But I did get frustrated after a while, realizing these characters were, many times, bland and archetypal, and not covering the full flesh of a human being in the real world. Fi/Ne/Si -- Fi: "not covering the full flesh of a human being in the real world" Si: "I had to stick to characters I already knew" Ne: "I like to use analogies"

- I procrastinate. A lot. On everything. In the back of my head, I know I could be doing something better; e.g. learning to deal with my insecurities to be able to study subjects objectively and be able to trust my judgements better, but instead I'd rather do that "tomorrow". I have time. I'm still young. (Not anymore I'm am! Terrible sense of time.) low Te, Perceiver, Si -- Low Te has trouble with execution. Si users more often lack a sense of time because they are very momentary

- I think this may be "solipsism", but I can figure out why someone's doing something, and usually I relate it back to myself. E.g. One of my coworkers at the pharmacy liked to bully me and a few others behind my back. I could tell he was actually extremely insecure about himself, and loved seeing others do stupid things at the job. Funny enough, I accidentally came across his filled prescription when I was searching for another customer's, and I saw that it was for anxiety meds. I didn't say anything ofc (and accidentally, as if I did it purposefully, it would be a HIPPA violation lol), but my mind jumped to questioning why the hell would he fill his prescriptions out at this pharmacy when any one of us could easily come across it? That made no sense to me immediately, but I didn't really think too much about it after. Fi/Ne -- Fi studying emotions and feelings of someone in depth, Ne theorizing why he did what he did

- I am very emotionally tied to music. If I am listening to a song, it must match my mood perfectly. I mentioned I daydream a lot, often times the music helps me create weird images in my head either of me or someone else doing something that matched the music. Sometimes the images relate to the music video if I saw it, and I just make my own strange version of it but kinda include many of their themes. Fi/Ne -- Fi: very emotionally tied to music Ne: daydreaming and imagining images to match emotions in music

- I have social anxiety so I am very sensitive to certain cues or certain words in a text message which may show if someone doesn't want to talk to me anymore, finds me weird, etc. I've always had trouble making friends most of my life, so I use escapism in daydreams to deal with this. Fi/Ne

So this is a lot, but hopefully I can be guided towards the right direction! I want to understand myself better. I also know that I have very deep self-confidence issues that I need to sort out (as well as tendency to procrastinate and do the easy/lazy way out until it's too late), and not sure to what extent that may have hindered some of my abilities.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No idea on what type @InkMyUmbrella would be since I am not good at typing others, but I actually identified with a lot of the stuff @InkMyUmbrella wrote in the opening post, and I am actually an INFP myself, if this helps. :laughing:
and @spaceynyc

Thank you both! And thank you spaceynyc for the analysis :)
See...I do think that "N" is somewhere in my stacks (and I doubt it's my last function), but it is very difficult to know if I am a true N aux or if it is my tert because, who knows, Bunnicella might be able to use her Ne in a quick fire motion while for me it takes a bit longer.

I also have doubts because I keep reading "can grasp abstracts quickly...versus need for concrete". I could, for the life of me, not grasp the functions truly at all till I came across the specific example given about Ni usage of a map (I can't find the exact quote...but basically they said something along the lines of "for example, an Ni user would not just see a map, they'd notice that the European countries are on the top and non-white nations are on the bottom. This demonstrates attitudes of European colonization/domination in map making, which is why their countries are north and the others are towards the bottom")-> then it hit me: Ni = meta-analysis. I also saw an INFJ girl on youtube saying she felt "detached" from the world and I could see why she said that given my understanding of Ni. I'm assuming Ne is similar to that, except Ne doesn't necessarily trust their background knowledge and may believe they need more information in order to find the full truth (Si), while Ni simply requires cues from their direct outside world (Se)? So for Ne, I might think "Someone bullied me because they want to feel superior", and with more information, I find they want to feel superior because they are insecure about themselves. It's like there are times I "know" what's up, I just can't find the perfect word that completely describes the situation to the fullest depth attainable at this point. Ni would "get it" straight away.

(Honestly, this is why I love the website reddit...I always felt there was tons of meta-analysis going on there, like people go into depth to read between the lines on everyone's posts, and they "get it" about how the world works. It's sorta once someone voices something on that site, my mind goes "Oh yeah...I didn't consciously think of that, but definitely true", and it almost becomes something I've known all along, I just never brought it to the full surface, even if it never tangibly set foot in my mind. which is where I'm questioning the distinction between an aux-N who would think those thoughts and a tert-N who would sometimes think the thoughts, but a lot of times think the thoughts after reading or hearing someone else say them. Jesus this makes no sense DX)

I also keep reading that N users are so away from this world that they would explain things in very convoluted terms...Meanwhile, I like using analogies to explain things to others if I get it before they do (so use of concrete?)

·
Banned
5,331 Posts

To note:

- I am EXTREMELY prone to self doubt. My initial reaction when I am to do a task I am not used to is to figure out whether I am able to do it in the first place.
What are you thinking about, when considering whether you are able to do a job in the first place?
What specifically is in your mind? What are you worried about etc?

- If I am unsure about how to do something and someone is relying on me to get it down (e.g. I used to work in retail pharmacy, and on my first day someone had an issue they needed me to solve. My initial reaction was to freak out internally and try and get the manager because I felt bad for the person that they were stuck with this inefficient 19 year old when they just wanted to go home)
This is indicative of an extraverted judging function - it's difficult to discern which one from this.
Considering you're only 19, the only functions we need to find are your dominant and perhaps auxiliary, if your first port of call is to get assistance from external sources, it's relatively safe to assume your lead function is a Je function.

I do note that this scenario is in the context of someone relying on you, however.

- I get outraged by certain cases if I can empathize with the victim involved. E.g., if I hear about a shooting or someone dying in a terrible way, I feel awful. I also get angered by the perpetrator, but actually I end up getting more curious than anything about what causes people to harm others, outside of obvious reasons like revenge. I decided to minor in criminal justice because of this. (BTW, this is also why I used to struggle to see violence in films because I could imagine the terror and pain the victim is dealing with. over time, I started getting more desensitized to this as I forced myself to watch more and more)
This sounds remarkably like my wife, an ESFJ. She won't watch the shows I want to watch really, too gruesome, she gets like.. too "into" the movie etc so to speak - I wonder, do you like to watch shows that might be a little gruesome - some murder series etc, when you know the perpetrator will be caught?

I.E those forensic files kinds of shows, where each episode details a crime, and then how the police etc managed to catch the killer?

- To further the previous response, if something impacts me personally, I want to know why. E.g. I have acne which frustrates me, so I can spend hours trying to figure out why this is happening, what can I do about it, etc.
I don't know what cognitive functions might be at play here, but again, my wife is the same - she's literally told me the same thing, it's the same with everything now, if she spots like a mole or a freckle or something, she'll start googling how do people get freckles or moles, how can she prevent them etc etc.

My guess is that this is application of Si to yourself - i.e healthy use of your auxiliary function - do you get like this when you're sick?
Do you start googling your symptoms and try to find out what's wrong with you?

-As I am prone to self doubt, I am very impressionable and go the "easy" way out by assuming that what someone else said is correct. I don't really try to think for myself as much cuz I don't trust my abilities to get the "truth" about something (which is why I'm creating this thread XD).
This is further indication of an extraverted judging function, most likely it's Fe because there is a focus on people in that your example is that you assume what someone else has said is correct - if it were Te, I imagine the example might have been that the person might take statistics or data etc at face value occasionally - might not be focused on people.

This is a stretch though, re: distinguishing Fe from Te at this point - I do believe you lead with a dominant extraverted judging function, however.

-Whenever I read something, I have a voice in my head for everyone's posts. If the "voice" sounds more confident, then I tend to trust the information more. If the voice sounds like the person may be less educated or insecure or something, I trust it less. Of course, I doubt it even more if they are telling me information I like to hear, so I research the person a bit to make sure they are a seemingly reliable source.
This is a combination of an extraverted judging function and introverted perceiving function working in conjunction, as well as likely a lower thinking function, considering there is ridiculously flawed logic but I can see the value in it and understand how some people might be this way.

The Pi is involved as it's basically what is creating the voices - subjective interpretations of peoples posts - then your dominant extraverted judging function makes sense of this, and determines credibility etc - are these voices accompanied by an image of the person, at all? Or any kind of figure in your mind?

What you've mentioned here doesn't really help distinguish Te from Fe, as there is an argument to made for each - Fe in that again, it is people oriented, you're giving voices to people in your head to determine who you should listen to, who's advice you should take on board, and who's advice you should ignore - this is Fe.

The Te argument could be made as you're seeking reliable sources, you search through post history to see if posters check out, to determine their credibility. I believe it's more likely however at this point, that it's the combination of Fe-Pi that is behind this mindset, rather than Te, as it just makes more sense given all of the information in context.

-Whenever I read something, I cannot just take details separately. Here I would say I focus on the "big" picture more, i.e. how everything connects into one large picture. When studying, I like developing a map to see how things work, and whenever I come across a problem, I alter that map or play around with it in order to figure out how to get the answer. I did this a lot in chemistry or biology class and needed to see how every single thing relates.
Slight possibility of Ne, if you were to take that information and apply it to other situations in the future.

More likely possibility considering the rest of your post, is that this is Pi connecting all the little dots in the back of your head and trying to make sense of everything as a whole, sounds like Ni, however I'm unsure as to how Si might work in a similar situation, I know nothing about biology or chemistry, I'd love to hear from an Si dom with regards to what you've said here, see if it clicks with how they think and like to process information.

- OR, I just instinctively know what they are talking about- I call this "clicking". The information "clicks" in my mind; it makes sense; I "get" what they are talking about. E.g. I could almost immediately understand what was being talked about in terms of "Frame of reference" when I was studying physics. To me, I immediately said in my head "This is point of view". I like to use analogies a lot to understand things, and the analogies are instinctual. This is what I did initially when trying to understand cognitive functions. I would look at characters typed a certain way, and see if I could relate to the "essence" of them in terms of their specific decisions or ways of thinking. I had to stick to characters I already knew about thoroughly in order to get the full "essence". But I did get frustrated after a while, realizing these characters were, many times, bland and archetypal, and not covering the full flesh of a human being in the real world.
Again, Pi - difficult to discern Ni from Si, as there is a solid argument to be made for each, Ni in the most basic textbook Ni descriptor sense re: information "clicking" into place etc - however instinctual analogies to help understand things is indicative of Si as well.

Can't discern which Pi function you use at this point.

- I procrastinate. A lot. On everything. In the back of my head, I know I could be doing something better; e.g. learning to deal with my insecurities to be able to study subjects objectively and be able to trust my judgements better, but instead I'd rather do that "tomorrow". I have time. I'm still young. (Not anymore I'm am! Terrible sense of time.)
Probably not any cognitive function in particular and is just immaturity.
I'm sure someone will pop up and suggest some kind of P type from this comment though, due to stereotypical "P" traits.
If you have a terrible sense of time, we can just about rule out Ni as your strongest introverted perceiving function because a great sense of time is one of the strongest and most telling indicators of well developed Ni.

I'm out of time, have to head out to work - I'll run through the rest later if possible, but at the moment I would suggest Fe as your likely dominant function - as I do believe you lead with an extraverted function but it's only like a 75% possibility - and I can't separate Si from Ni within your posts, however having a terrible sense of time is a really big indicator that you don't use Ni, so for now I'd tentatively suggest you're accurately typed as an ESFJ.

I'm by no means convinced of this at the moment though, it's just the most likely possibility.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,557 Posts
and @spaceynyc

Thank you both! And thank you spaceynyc for the analysis :)
See...I do think that "N" is somewhere in my stacks (and I doubt it's my last function), but it is very difficult to know if I am a true N aux or if it is my tert because, who knows, Bunnicella might be able to use her Ne in a quick fire motion while for me it takes a bit longer.

I also have doubts because I keep reading "can grasp abstracts quickly...versus need for concrete". I could, for the life of me, not grasp the functions truly at all till I came across the specific example given about Ni usage of a map (I can't find the exact quote...but basically they said something along the lines of "for example, an Ni user would not just see a map, they'd notice that the European countries are on the top and non-white nations are on the bottom. This demonstrates attitudes of European colonization/domination in map making, which is why their countries are north and the others are towards the bottom")-> then it hit me: Ni = meta-analysis. I also saw an INFJ girl on youtube saying she felt "detached" from the world and I could see why she said that given my understanding of Ni. I'm assuming Ne is similar to that, except Ne doesn't necessarily trust their background knowledge and may believe they need more information in order to find the full truth (Si), while Ni simply requires cues from their direct outside world (Se)? So for Ne, I might think "Someone bullied me because they want to feel superior", and with more information, I find they want to feel superior because they are insecure about themselves. It's like there are times I "know" what's up, I just can't find the perfect word that completely describes the situation to the fullest depth attainable at this point. Ni would "get it" straight away.

(Honestly, this is why I love the website reddit...I always felt there was tons of meta-analysis going on there, like people go into depth to read between the lines on everyone's posts, and they "get it" about how the world works. It's sorta once someone voices something on that site, my mind goes "Oh yeah...I didn't consciously think of that, but definitely true", and it almost becomes something I've known all along, I just never brought it to the full surface, even if it never tangibly set foot in my mind. which is where I'm questioning the distinction between an aux-N who would think those thoughts and a tert-N who would sometimes think the thoughts, but a lot of times think the thoughts after reading or hearing someone else say them. Jesus this makes no sense DX)

I also keep reading that N users are so away from this world that they would explain things in very convoluted terms...Meanwhile, I like using analogies to explain things to others if I get it before they do (so use of concrete?)
Girl, I feel ya :laughing:

I was struggling for the longest (and might still be struggling) to figure out whether I was an ISTJ or an INFP (because they both share the same cognitive functions but in different orders). It was so difficult to grasp which function went first, second, third and fourth. To this day, it can still be confusing because we are not robots, we will display different behaviors at different times, and we might not always be aware of the function behind that behavior. We evaluate the behavior afterwards, but the evaluation might just end up being an assumption and not always correct.

I can relate to you on the insecurities and second-guessing yourself theme that is from your posts. I believe that Fi + Si + Ne at work. That combination can lead to some serious insecurity issues, because the Ne feeds bad possibilities into the Fi, which is trying to tell us how we should be vs. what others are going to judge us as. Si is also always double checking on what we think is consistently true/right, which wreaks even more havoc on our turbulence vs. assertiveness.

Sorry, I can't really help you with whether you are SJ or SP (or even an N for that matter), but I feel like you have Fi and Si in your stack based on your posts.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are you thinking about, when considering whether you are able to do a job in the first place?
What specifically is in your mind? What are you worried about etc?
That I will be "found out" as someone totally incompetent, and everyone will know the truth about me. They will see me the same way I see myself: as a child in a continuously developing body. While I have gained more and more knowledge about the world through my education and through hearing about how other people handle things, I still feel like the 12 year old girl is still there and ever most present, and someone criticizing me can peel more and more layers until she comes out and is seen withering in a corner.
The reasons for this lack of self confidence is unknown, but I believe it is strongly related to the emotional abuse I endured by my parents, and the lack of strong connection I had with my peers. My mother always made me feel that if I did not live up to her expectations, I do not deserve to be happy. And this feeling continued: I failed because I am lazy, selfish, etc. So of course I need to feel bad about myself. (And now I gotta do more research on the validity of the "self fulfilling prophecy" phenomenon lol)
I've always felt my friends were very paternalistic towards me, seeing me as a child they had to protect and encourage to tag along. But they also forget about my presence in many cases, so they would forget to invite me, not knowing what psychological damage this may do to me.

This is indicative of an extraverted judging function - it's difficult to discern which one from this.
Considering you're only 19, the only functions we need to find are your dominant and perhaps auxiliary, if your first port of call is to get assistance from external sources, it's relatively safe to assume your lead function is a Je function.
I'm actually almost 24, this was a few years ago. But not surprised that I "sound" young (given my perception about myself)

This sounds remarkably like my wife, an ESFJ. She won't watch the shows I want to watch really, too gruesome, she gets like.. too "into" the movie etc so to speak - I wonder, do you like to watch shows that might be a little gruesome - some murder series etc, when you know the perpetrator will be caught?
I know you're talking about mysteries where the focus is "who done it", but I will mention something first.
I watch a show- mystery or not- if it's "good"/popular/I think I will like it because it seems to have an interesting story line, etc. I do get caught up in shows and get emotionally angry when someone acts cold, harsh, harms others without caring, seems to get away with it, etc, but then I kinda step back and think- maybe it's a good thing that this show is being realistic? wouldn't it be boring if the main char wins all the time? if i'm angry, then the writers are doing their job (but then, there's that inkling in the back of my head considering the fact that I might just be highly sensitive to these sorts of things; the writer is "good" if they can get most of the people to hate that person, rather than someone like me)
About mysteries: Of course, I'm sure everyone wants the perp to get caught because we are curious to know who it is, but I find that I am MORE excited by how they found the person out rather than who + why.

I don't know what cognitive functions might be at play here, but again, my wife is the same - she's literally told me the same thing, it's the same with everything now, if she spots like a mole or a freckle or something, she'll start googling how do people get freckles or moles, how can she prevent them etc etc.
My guess is that this is application of Si to yourself - i.e healthy use of your auxiliary function - do you get like this when you're sick?
Do you start googling your symptoms and try to find out what's wrong with you?
I might not be of much help here because I rarely get sick. If I do, my immediate decision is 1) It's a cold, so it'll go away, and if symptoms continue to the point of my concern, 2) Go to the doc. They have machines, tools, etc, they'll know better than some online symptom checker what's going on.
Unfortunately, I am doubtful of the knowledge many dermatologists have on acne, given that there are so many factors involved with someone's skin, and many environmental causes. Sure, this is probably true for most illnesses, but more so for things like acne where lots of things are still unknown (unlike above, where in cases of an infection they can check for my white blood cell count levels, things like that, and have a better chance of knowing what's up, what caused this), otherwise it wouldn't basically be an epidemic. My frustration goes as far as trying to figure out demographics of people affected by acne, is this related to increased pollution, is this a universal phenomenon or are people in the US more impacted, etc. Hearing just "Oh honey, it's just your genetics! :) " is not satisfying enough for me. lol
BTW, I do the symptoms thing/research also for my psychological issues as well, extensive research, etc. I've delayed going to a therapist just because i kept thinking i could get myself better without their help/meds. :(

This is further indication of an extraverted judging function, most likely it's Fe because there is a focus on people in that your example is that you assume what someone else has said is correct - if it were Te, I imagine the example might have been that the person might take statistics or data etc at face value occasionally - might not be focused on people.

This is a stretch though, re: distinguishing Fe from Te at this point - I do believe you lead with a dominant extraverted judging function, however.
I just have a natural gut reaction to think there is legitimacy in what they are saying, especially in cases where they get tons of "thanks" in the cause of Perc, or likes, or whatever, compared to the person they are replying. (Of course, if they are saying something that seems a bit...doubtful, I gotta do a meta analysis and figure out what sorts of people frequent that site, who are uprooting that person, what motivations do they have, etc. If possibly a very biased group of people- nope, bye). Funny enough, I am more concerned about statistics and data because I worked in research, and feel like I can't take a "study" just at face value, I have to look into it a bit better, make sure certain variables make sense, but that's probably because I majored in something scientific...not sure if Ti types would do this if they majored in science as well and find the scientific method/current system of evaluating research to be quite valid. I do generally trust someone much more if they give me a reliable source, like government statistics, nih sponsored study, etc, rather than some biased news site. And if I'm feeling lazy, probably won't dig in more about research validity.

This is a combination of an extraverted judging function and introverted perceiving function working in conjunction, as well as likely a lower thinking function, considering there is ridiculously flawed logic but I can see the value in it and understand how some people might be this way.
I 150% agree, which is why I hate that about myself, and try to really determine validity using other variables. XD Just saying my immediate reaction, i.e. my neurons firing to my brain and producing a response.

The Pi is involved as it's basically what is creating the voices - subjective interpretations of peoples posts - then your dominant extraverted judging function makes sense of this, and determines credibility etc - are these voices accompanied by an image of the person, at all? Or any kind of figure in your mind?
Hmm...I don't pay attention to a figure. It's one of those things that If I wanted to look into it, a figure would pop up...it's somewhere in the back of my brain. Avatars also give me an impression, e.g. I associate your words with L in your picture (which is funny to think about, because then I think about L and remember he's a strawberry cake obsessed goofball lol).

The Te argument could be made as you're seeking reliable sources, you search through post history to see if posters check out, to determine their credibility. I believe it's more likely however at this point, that it's the combination of Fe-Pi that is behind this mindset, rather than Te, as it just makes more sense given all of the information in context.
Yup. I also can become pretty controlling if I feel as if the group is veering off course, and I get stressed out that if I don't order people around/emphasize my point, make sure we plan things properly, or things will fall apart. This is in cases where I'm with someone who I feel like I have some "power" over either by age, or I sense they are similar to me in at times being illogical, emotional, etc. Or if I want things to go a specific way. This happened a lot when I was doing school projects. XD
This became especially prevalent when I became part of student leadership in some organizations. I was a bit older, so I felt I had control...

Slight possibility of Ne, if you were to take that information and apply it to other situations in the future.
I...will get back to you on that. I'm not sure the "area" Ne covers if that makes sense. E.g. If I am cleaning the house, I get concerned that I am getting all the nooks and crannies to get rid of the dust. Then, I think about microbiology, and how there's tons of little critters that I don't see. Then I think, what's the point of me cleaning so thoroughly in the first place? Will it ever be "clean"? Are the tools I'm using actually good enough to finish the job to perfection? Then I give up in my head, and decide I just need to get this done and be glad that it at least looks cleaner than it did before.

More likely possibility considering the rest of your post, is that this is Pi connecting all the little dots in the back of your head and trying to make sense of everything as a whole, sounds like Ni, however I'm unsure as to how Si might work in a similar situation, I know nothing about biology or chemistry, I'd love to hear from an Si dom with regards to what you've said here, see if it clicks with how they think and like to process information.
Yes! because the descriptions of Si suck. I wish I could have a machine which could help me read every thought or disposition of a person who is typed a certain way, and compare it to my own. I have a question: have you and your wife seen the movie "inception"? And if so, how did she react to the ending? what were her thoughts on the entire movie?

Probably not any cognitive function in particular and is just immaturity.
I'm sure someone will pop up and suggest some kind of P type from this comment though, due to stereotypical "P" traits.
If you have a terrible sense of time, we can just about rule out Ni as your strongest introverted perceiving function because a great sense of time is one of the strongest and most telling indicators of well developed Ni.
True. I am curious though how my mental illness may have impacted my ability to use any N function. I've always seen myself as incompetent my entire life, so perhaps, while some "N" thoughts or questions may pop up, I generally ignore them due to my severe self doubt at being able to get the correct answer. ->I notice a lot of people have this, but some ENFP said she was able to guess the correct answer on an exam without even studying extensively simply due to her instinct. I don't usually get questions right like that, however, as many people do, I get concerned when I get several of the same letter many times in a row. Perhaps it could be my lack of knowledge in these areas or the psychology of creating an exam for students. On the other hand, I am more so confident in my ability to figure out someone's motivations, though, and I guess it's because I have studied myself extensively, and use that to be able to understand people (shown in the example in the first post i made about that guy). For example, I've always rolled my my eyes at the obsession over "love" many teenage girls have, because to me it's not love but the need for validation they are feeling.

I'm out of time, have to head out to work - I'll run through the rest later if possible, but at the moment I would suggest Fe as your likely dominant function - as I do believe you lead with an extraverted function but it's only like a 75% possibility - and I can't separate Si from Ni within your posts, however having a terrible sense of time is a really big indicator that you don't use Ni, so for now I'd tentatively suggest you're accurately typed as an ESFJ.

I'm by no means convinced of this at the moment though, it's just the most likely possibility.
"only"? 75% is pretty high to me XD But thank you again for your help, and I hope I'm feeding your Ni interest in analysis :D

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
That I will be "found out" as someone totally incompetent, and everyone will know the truth about me. They will see me the same way I see myself: as a child in a continuously developing body. While I have gained more and more knowledge about the world through my education and through hearing about how other people handle things, I still feel like the 12 year old girl is still there and ever most present, and someone criticizing me can peel more and more layers until she comes out and is seen withering in a corner.
The reasons for this lack of self confidence is unknown, but I believe it is strongly related to the emotional abuse I endured by my parents, and the lack of strong connection I had with my peers. My mother always made me feel that if I did not live up to her expectations, I do not deserve to be happy. And this feeling continued: I failed because I am lazy, selfish, etc. So of course I need to feel bad about myself. (And now I gotta do more research on the validity of the "self fulfilling prophecy" phenomenon lol)
I've always felt my friends were very paternalistic towards me, seeing me as a child they had to protect and encourage to tag along. But they also forget about my presence in many cases, so they would forget to invite me, not knowing what psychological damage this may do to me.
This is all very unfortunate.. with regards to typing, the function often associated with that 'childlike' state is Ne - I'm not sure why, likely because it's sort of wondrous and curious - perhaps Ne types give off a certain vibe of innocence.

I don't believe this is what's at play here, though.

I'm actually almost 24, this was a few years ago. But not surprised that I "sound" young (given my perception about myself)
You mentioned 19 in your OP, I just assumed that was your age - I didn't realise that was either a hypothetical or something based on an event from 5 years ago (lol Si dom Si extraordinaire stuck in the past Si god)

I know you're talking about mysteries where the focus is "who done it", but I will mention something first.
I watch a show- mystery or not- if it's "good"/popular/I think I will like it because it seems to have an interesting story line, etc. I do get caught up in shows and get emotionally angry when someone acts cold, harsh, harms others without caring, seems to get away with it, etc, but then I kinda step back and think- maybe it's a good thing that this show is being realistic? wouldn't it be boring if the main char wins all the time? if i'm angry, then the writers are doing their job (but then, there's that inkling in the back of my head considering the fact that I might just be highly sensitive to these sorts of things; the writer is "good" if they can get most of the people to hate that person, rather than someone like me)
About mysteries: Of course, I'm sure everyone wants the perp to get caught because we are curious to know who it is, but I find that I am MORE excited by how they found the person out rather than who + why.
This sounds closer to how I envision Ni, than Si - with regards to the reasons you watch any shows - same reasons as me - I'm after a good storyline. I'm not so concerned with the acting, the dialogue (though it can put me off if it's horrible), any special effects etc etc, I want a good storyline. Something to make me think, long after I'm finished watching.

Your response here indicates a pretty clear disconnection from the present moment - your thoughts shift away from what is happening, the show you're watching, into questions critiquing the current state of the movie industry (main character always wins) and considerations with regards to what makes a writer, a good writer.

With regards to why you like those kinds of crime shows - you prefer the 'how' someone gets caught - same here, not so much the who or the why.. though I'm unsure as to how this could be linked to any particular cognitive function, it's my understanding that some functions are process-oriented - typically, Fe and Te are goal-oriented, and Fi and Ti are process-oriented - but I can't see how that applies within the contexts of watching a show where you know what is going to happen - the whole reason you would watch those shows is to see the "how" and that's the premise of the show (at least the ones I watch, lol).

Do you find in general, you're more concerned with how something will be done, rather than with obtaining the end result?

I might not be of much help here because I rarely get sick. If I do, my immediate decision is 1) It's a cold, so it'll go away, and if symptoms continue to the point of my concern, 2) Go to the doc. They have machines, tools, etc, they'll know better than some online symptom checker what's going on.
Unfortunately, I am doubtful of the knowledge many dermatologists have on acne, given that there are so many factors involved with someone's skin, and many environmental causes. Sure, this is probably true for most illnesses, but more so for things like acne where lots of things are still unknown (unlike above, where in cases of an infection they can check for my white blood cell count levels, things like that, and have a better chance of knowing what's up, what caused this), otherwise it wouldn't basically be an epidemic. My frustration goes as far as trying to figure out demographics of people affected by acne, is this related to increased pollution, is this a universal phenomenon or are people in the US more impacted, etc. Hearing just "Oh honey, it's just your genetics! :) " is not satisfying enough for me. lol
BTW, I do the symptoms thing/research also for my psychological issues as well, extensive research, etc. I've delayed going to a therapist just because i kept thinking i could get myself better without their help/meds. :(
Fair enough, this is supportive of Fe as your dominant function (could definitely be an argument here for Te as well) - when you're sick, and it doesn't go away, you seek the advice of someone credible - someone you can trust.
This is representative of extraverted judging - I suggest Fe as it's just the most likely of the two when taking all of this post, and your other posts on the forum into consideration - I would argue, however, there is a stronger case for Te to be made, if we were to take this particular section out of context.

There is a large amount of emphasis on the means the doctor has of accurately diagnosing you - these are the kinds of external measuring devices referred to in Dario Nardis 8 Keys to Self-Leadership.

I would have a look into Te, if I were you, as well as Fe, and decide where you feel you fall.
You might find you could be a broken/beat-down Te dominant who's slipped under the grip of inferior Fi - which actually makes a lot of sense, considering the amount of emphasis you put on being competent.. read this:

The Principles of Cognitive Function Theory @MBTI-notes - Type Theory

I'd love to hear your thoughts on both inferior Ti, and inferior Fi, and if either of them feel like they are describing you.

I just have a natural gut reaction to think there is legitimacy in what they are saying, especially in cases where they get tons of "thanks" in the cause of Perc, or likes, or whatever, compared to the person they are replying. (Of course, if they are saying something that seems a bit...doubtful, I gotta do a meta analysis and figure out what sorts of people frequent that site, who are uprooting that person, what motivations do they have, etc. If possibly a very biased group of people- nope, bye). Funny enough, I am more concerned about statistics and data because I worked in research, and feel like I can't take a "study" just at face value, I have to look into it a bit better, make sure certain variables make sense, but that's probably because I majored in something scientific...not sure if Ti types would do this if they majored in science as well and find the scientific method/current system of evaluating research to be quite valid. I do generally trust someone much more if they give me a reliable source, like government statistics, nih sponsored study, etc, rather than some biased news site. And if I'm feeling lazy, probably won't dig in more about research validity.
There isn't much for me to get here, asides from further evidence of an extraverted judging function being your dominant function - it's difficult to discern, for instance, whether your inclination to believe people who get more "thanks" as being more credible is born from Fe or Te, but it's definitely one of them.

Out of time again, lol, I'll get around to the rest at some point - very interested to hear your thoughts regarding inferior Ti and Fi.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Take a cognitive functions test if your uncertain.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is all very unfortunate.. with regards to typing, the function often associated with that 'childlike' state is Ne - I'm not sure why, likely because it's sort of wondrous and curious - perhaps Ne types give off a certain vibe of innocence.

I don't believe this is what's at play here, though.
Nope. :) Ne = I'd say they're like a child in disney land as they look around at the world. I'm more like a sad little child aha.

You mentioned 19 in your OP, I just assumed that was your age - I didn't realise that was either a hypothetical or something based on an event from 5 years ago (lol Si dom Si extraordinaire stuck in the past Si god)
Not a problem, I can guess that it's confusing.
Lol it's not normal to remember anything in your past for you? Anything? To me, nothing from my past really stands out to me unless I'm forced to, at some point, think about it. I can't relate at all to the "mental filing cabinet" SJ's are supposedly known for. Much of my past feels like a blur. I can't explain my visual, but I see my life as a very strange "timeline" in the physical sense. My childhood, up till about 5th grade is very foggy visually, obscuring the sunny weather, leading up to a brighter sun in middle school (which to me were the best years of my life). Then back to a very dense set of clouds in high school, blurrier than before. The darkest years of my life.
My college years are a dense forrest, filled with enrichment and yet at the same time concealing many of my happier memories with the darkness and shadows in between.
I don't know if this is what Si is because Ni is all about the "future" and focus on abstraction from the "here and now" using details from the past. To move further along...

With regards to why you like those kinds of crime shows - you prefer the 'how' someone gets caught - same here, not so much the who or the why.. though I'm unsure as to how this could be linked to any particular cognitive function, it's my understanding that some functions are process-oriented - typically, Fe and Te are goal-oriented, and Fi and Ti are process-oriented - but I can't see how that applies within the contexts of watching a show where you know what is going to happen - the whole reason you would watch those shows is to see the "how" and that's the premise of the show (at least the ones I watch, lol).

Do you find in general, you're more concerned with how something will be done, rather than with obtaining the end result?
I prefer focusing on the "how" due to my perfectionist tendencies. However, when I become somewhat stressed and deadlines are approaching and/or people are relying on me , I become the opposite. I don't care what: I just want to finish it the best I can. So depends on the situation, but I like doing my best more than just getting something done, obviously.

I would have a look into Te, if I were you, as well as Fe, and decide where you feel you fall.
You might find you could be a broken/beat-down Te dominant who's slipped under the grip of inferior Fi - which actually makes a lot of sense, considering the amount of emphasis you put on being competent.. read this:

The Principles of Cognitive Function Theory @MBTI-notes - Type Theory

I'd love to hear your thoughts on both inferior Ti, and inferior Fi, and if either of them feel like they are describing you.[/quote]

Curiosity: I vaguely recall you linking me to that tumblr in another thread (although I could be wrong). Do you simply prefer the tumblr account, or are you one of the people behind it? :)

I relate more to the inferior Ti account, between the two. However, to make things confusing, I also to some extent relate to both the accounts for inferior Ne and inferior Se.
I actually questioned whether I was an ISFP at one point (although I don't really relate to dom-Fi and high-Se...but hell, could be possible. Although you and many others believe me to be a J)...I don't know if this is Si or Se, but I do actually notice certain details in my environment, such as a car with a nice color, a person with a nice outfit, etc. I enjoy going to places with tons of excitement and lots of things going on, like Time Square in New York or Disney Land or something. I especially love playing games where I get to run around in all sorts of places and explore my surroundings, see what different things do. I've done some rather "Se" like activities like drinking heavily with friends or smoking weed or something with them. Of course, a Si user would probably partake in those activities if they perceive them as "safe" but...I've done some pretty reckless things in the past with little foresight just because I was desperate to get out of my boring life, e.g. ask a few random guys who I knew nothing about out a few years ago. This was different than the elaborate plan I had in high school where I wanted to give the guy I liked a love note in his locker, and see his reaction before I could reveal myself, blah blah that is so cliche now that I think about it. But yeah...lol
As for inferior Ne: It could explain my awful daydreaming habits, and how that's pretty taken over my life. I live in my head for escapism, where everything is perfect. When I have to deal with reality, I get freaked out and unable to cope with it, "unprepared" basically. This also defines my issues pretty well: "Do you feel sudden bouts of irrational hope only to have them cruelly dashed by reality, suffering the emotional swings in the process?" Yup. This is me.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,438 Posts
If you see a red balloon floating randomely out of nowhere do you think:

''What the hell is a stray red balloon doing here? It's so creepy, reminds me of that movie ''It''. I mean red is an aggressive color but this balloon just floats ominously and calmly, it's unsettling. Who does it belong to? Why is it there? Probably a kid who let it slip through its fingers, that would be the most likely explanation. Gonna take a picture of this and put it on Facebook hashtag randomredcreepyballoon.''

or

''A balloon? That's random. I should pop it, see it it scares anyone around...''

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you see a red balloon floating randomely out of nowhere do you think:

''What the hell is a stray red balloon doing here? It's so creepy, reminds me of that movie ''It''. I mean red is an aggressive color but this balloon just floats ominously and calmly, it's unsettling. Who does it belong to? Why is it there? Probably a kid who let it slip through its fingers, that would be the most likely explanation. Gonna take a picture of this and put it on Facebook hashtag randomredcreepyballoon.''

or

''A balloon? That's random. I should pop it, see it it scares anyone around...''
Definitely not the second.

This is, of course, given that I notice the red balloon in the first place. A balloon? (If walking around in a quiet more residential area) Maybe came from a birthday party or something. (If I am in a more public area) Could be an event going on. Or came from a local business. Like car dealership or something. They sometimes have balloons, I think? Would occur in the span of three seconds. Then move on with my life.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts