Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

First post here, hoping to gain some knowledge from you :) So the first time I took an MBTI test (16personalities com) it turned out that I was an ISFP. But yesterday I read some articles about Sensing and Intuition differences and I thought I might be an Intuition type after all. OK so to make it easy maybe I should just list some random facts about me that might be related to this matter:

-I'm a translator and I'm pretty good at it :p Somehow I learned English (my second language) easily without much formal education, through video games, movies, and books.
-I'm an accounting major and I found accounting super-boring, I don't even know why I chose that.
-I love cats.
-I'm very religious, I link back everything to God.
-I'm kinda of an artsy person, in the sense that I appreciate art (in all forms) although I'm not a creator myself. In fact I suck at drawing, my handwriting is illegible and I'm not too imaginative/creative.
-I have a Tumblr on which I reblog images that fascinate me. Here it is, please check it out: anytimeorplace.tumblr (add .com).
-I hate the word but I'm what people would call a "hipster". I listen to obscure music, I read literatures, I watch art house movies, etc.
-I tend to avoid books/movies with "big" settings like war, intergalaxy sci-fi, etc. I prefer closed, specific setting, like about a lonely man with his dog in a town, or a murder mystery.
-DJ-ing is one of my passions. I love to please people with my selection of tunes.
-I'm very skinny, rather tall, with an expressionless face.
-Some friends call me weird but I just think I'm misunderstood.
-I'm very style-conscious. People tell me I'm fashionable.
-Surface-level everyday chit-chat easily bores me. I prefer deep conversation of a particular topic, like religion, or why a person did something. Maybe this is why I have a few friends, because I can't make a connection with people with no similar interests.
-I read popular psychology books.
-I can read people's moods and I can sense if a couple will end up broken up or married.
-I follow what's going on in my country's politics. Foreign politics, I don't care.
-I have a dry, absurd, taste of humor. See: Monty Python, The Office UK, Space Ghost Coast to Coast. But I have difficulty cracking jokes.
-I never remember routes, even though I have went through them a thousand times. I wouldn't know what to do without Google Maps.
-I like to play out a happy imaginary situation in my mind, like DJ-ing in front of many people and they enjoy it, or going on a date and I charm the girl lol.
-I sometimes forget what I intended to do when I walk into a room.
-I remember details from the past, like this cutlery set my aunt had when I was little and now she even forgot about it.
-I sometimes observe people, like when a family go by, I would guess how intimate they are, how intelligent, how rich, etc.
-I always second guess after making a decision and often wonders what it'd be like if I'd chosen the other option, maybe it's better.
-I sometimes edit my post over and over until it's "perfect".
-I buy books impulsively, when there's one that interests me I just feel I have to buy it to be read in the future even though I already own too many unread books to be read in a lifetime.

Hmm maybe that's enough for now. One thing that confuses me is I cannot work out the differences between "future-oriented, imaginative, big picture, abstract"-ness of Intuitive and "current, practical, details, concrete"-ness of Sensing. I just feel I'm both. Could anyone provide me with a detailed real-life examples of each? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Based on which points?
-I hate the word but I'm what people would call a "hipster". I listen to obscure music, I read literatures, I watch art house movies, etc.
the ISFPs I know are pretty mainstream, but not strong evidence per se

-I tend to avoid books/movies with "big" settings like war, intergalaxy sci-fi, etc. I prefer closed, specific setting, like about a lonely man with his dog in a town, or a murder mystery.
me too; I think this is Fi. we like people.

-Surface-level everyday chit-chat easily bores me. I prefer deep conversation of a particular topic, like religion, or why a person did something. Maybe this is why I have a few friends, because I can't make a connection with people with no similar interests.
***especially this seems more INFP than ISFP

-I read popular psychology books.
Possibly an INFP preference

-I sometimes edit my post over and over until it's "perfect".
This feels very INFP to me. On PerC, I've noticed INFPs frequently edit their posts, and I almost always do. I feel like ISFPs are less particular about perfection and care more about doing things, but I cannot speak for them 100%.

Not much to go off of, but that's how I drew my conclusion. I usually recommend you watch INFPs and ISFPs on youtube or read their journal entries to see the differences. I feel like ISFPs talk more about what they are doing (though they seem to have a love for pithy aphorisms, possibly due to Ni) while INFPs talk more about random possibilities. In personal journals particularly, the difference is very noticeable because journals are what people think about when they are allowed to think about anything they want.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing I have doubt on: if I'm INFP then why don't I feel that much affection toward humanity? It seems that INFPs are supposed to want to make the world a better place, be useful to others, etc, while I think I'm more individualistic.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
One thing I have doubt on: if I'm INFP then why don't I feel that much affection toward humanity? It seems that INFPs are supposed to want to make the world a better place, be useful to others, etc, while I think I'm more individualistic.
I don't think Fi cares about helping humanity directly as much as it cares about becoming an ideal person, the kind of person who might help humanity, if that is your ideal.

Fi filters things worth caring about. Fi doesn't care about all people equally, it chooses a few people and things to care about. Fe seems more about helping humanity (or at least the majority) because Fe users can't help but want the people around them to be happy equally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts