Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of unsure of my Myers-briggs type. In the past, I've tested as both ENTP and ENTJ, usually but I'm not sure which one I am.

In terms of looking at the types as a whole, I think ENTP describes me better. I love having new ideas and being creative, but sometimes have difficulty following through with them. I'm usually most excited when beginning a new creative project. I also lack the traditional ENTJ desire to lead. I dislike being in positions of power or authority, and would rather be work as a part of a collaborative team, in which nobody (or it least, somebody other than myself), is in power. I'd rather been seen as a trusted advisor than a leader. I'd rather be a campaign manager than a politician.

However, in terms of just J vs P, I can't decide which one fits me better. On one hand, I might be a judger, because I sometimes feel more comfortable after an important decision has been made, as opposed to wanting to leave my options open. I sometimes plan seemingly insignificant things, like exactly what I'm going to say to somebody when I see them next. I also worry all the time, and frequently obsess over what I'm going to do with my life, even though I'm still in high school. On the other hand, I might be a perceiver, because I dislike routine and schedules and hate doing the same thing over and over, or doing the same thing every day. I also tend to procrastinate a lot, even when I try my best not to. I don't worry about organization much, and am usually confident that "everything will work out in the end." Although I plan some things, on most days I usually wake up not knowing anything about what I'm going to do that day, and am often disappointed if I ultimately spending a day doing something that I do frequently, as opposed to something new and exciting that I don't get to do very often.

·
Banned
6,247 Posts
It's possible you're an ENTP with your cognitives in the wrong order. That's not very uncommon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
ENTP, I would say. I think the idea that if you feel more comfortable when a decision is made means you must be a judger is a silly one. Surely most people feel more comfortable essentially when a decision is made? I definitely do. The difference is I think that judgers find it easier to make decisions than Perceivers even though Perceivers also want to make the decision. But they find it more difficult, so in the end they just settle for keeping their options open. I might just be making that up though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sounds like you're ENTP.

Honestly, high school might be a bit early to choose an MBTI type with any certainty. Most people change dramatically from 18-23, and there's a good chance that your type will change as you experience more opportunities and responsibilities. It's hard to tell the difference between our natural-born preferences and our reactions to our environment.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, I also want to say ENTP. I think the difference that matters is that J's seek a measure of control (which manifests in ExTJs as leadership) while P's are more interested in thinking about a variety of options. Your post makes it sounds like you focus on the latter much more than the former. It also sounds like you don't plan your life out too much, which indicates P. It's not totally all or nothing - P's can certainly decide some things in advance and still be P's.

Reactions: ENTrePreneur
1 - 6 of 6 Posts