Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to struggle with depression years ago, and even had to take Zoloft from ages 13-18. If I ever forgot to take it, I would have violent mood swings and feel sad and cry like crazy, then feel angry and yell at my family. Unfortunately, it seems like these symptoms have been coming back in the past month. But I also think I may be starting to experience panic attacks, which I don't think I've ever had before in my whole life. I tried reading about panic attacks online, but only a few of the symptoms describe how I feel, so I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is actual panic attacks or something else.

It always seems to happen at home. I've almost had them at work but have been successfully able to control myself thus far. (I work with kids and get nervous if they get too close to me while I'm working.) What usually happens at home is:

• Something makes me upset (i.e. reading a depressing news article online)
• I get interrupted by a family member
• I'm even more upset now that I've been interrupted, and I yell at them and tell them to leave me alone
• They don't leave me alone and I start breathing heavily, crying, and screaming really loud until they eventually leave
• Then I cry some more even when they're gone.

I also felt rather cold today after what I believe was a panic attack. I had just returned from the gym and was feeling fine until it happened.

I heard that dehydration can cause panic attacks. I've been pretty thirsty today, and I guess it doesn't help that my pre-workout supplement contains caffeine. I normally drink one bottle of water during my workout, but today I had two and was still thirsty.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I used to struggle with depression years ago, and even had to take Zoloft from ages 13-18. If I ever forgot to take it, I would have violent mood swings and feel sad and cry like crazy, then feel angry and yell at my family. Unfortunately, it seems like these symptoms have been coming back in the past month. But I also think I may be starting to experience panic attacks, which I don't think I've ever had before in my whole life. I tried reading about panic attacks online, but only a few of the symptoms describe how I feel, so I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is actual panic attacks or something else.

It always seems to happen at home. I've almost had them at work but have been successfully able to control myself thus far. (I work with kids and get nervous if they get too close to me while I'm working.) What usually happens at home is:

• Something makes me upset (i.e. reading a depressing news article online)
• I get interrupted by a family member
• I'm even more upset now that I've been interrupted, and I yell at them and tell them to leave me alone
• They don't leave me alone and I start breathing heavily, crying, and screaming really loud until they eventually leave
• Then I cry some more even when they're gone.

I also felt rather cold today after what I believe was a panic attack. I had just returned from the gym and was feeling fine until it happened.

I heard that dehydration can cause panic attacks. I've been pretty thirsty today, and I guess it doesn't help that my pre-workout supplement contains caffeine. I normally drink one bottle of water during my workout, but today I had two and was still thirsty.
I don't mean to probe into your personal life but I'd like to know your environment before I give an opinion...
Also, some information about your past would be helpful.

I can understand if this would make you feel unconformable.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't mean to probe into your personal life but I'd like to know your environment before I give an opinion...
Also, some information about your past would be helpful.

I can understand if this would make you feel unconformable.
I live with my mom, dad, brother, grandfather, and uncle. My grandpa and uncle moved in last year. There is not enough room for all of us in our house. I wish every day that I could move out, but I don't have a good enough job despite graduating from college last year. I've been trying to work on that. I started being depressed at age 13 and I stopped taking my meds at age 18 when I went to college and lived on campus, because I felt that I no longer needed it. I was fine except for when I came home, which was not often.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I live with my mom, dad, brother, grandfather, and uncle. My grandpa and uncle moved in last year. There is not enough room for all of us in our house. I wish every day that I could move out, but I don't have a good enough job despite graduating from college last year. I've been trying to work on that. I started being depressed at age 13 and I stopped taking my meds at age 18 when I went to college and lived on campus, because I felt that I no longer needed it. I was fine except for when I came home, which was not often.

Hmm...

I'm going to start with theory "1".

Your house is a negative energy zone.
Subconsciously and maybe even consciously, you hate that house !
It makes you uncomfortable just being in it....

That's theory "1".

I'm probably wrong, but I can look into making another theory latter.

If I'm wrong, feel free to explain how wrong I am ! Just knowing how wrong I am will help me come up with a better theory.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm...

I'm going to start with theory "1".

Your house is a negative energy zone.
Subconsciously and maybe even consciously, you hate that house !
It makes you uncomfortable just being in it....

That's theory "1".

I'm probably wrong, but I can look into making another theory latter.

If I'm wrong, feel free to explain how wrong I am ! Just knowing how wrong I am will help me come up with a better theory.
Oh, you're absolutely right.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what are you going to do now ?
Move out when I have enough money. I guess until then I'm stuck. For now I'll just need to stay out of the house as much as possible, and I guess try to avoid caffeine as well.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Move out when I have enough money. I guess until then I'm stuck. For now I'll just need to stay out of the house as much as possible, and I guess try to avoid caffeine as well.

Nice to know you have a plan.

In the meantime, I'd like you to know that the mind is stronger then you think.
I know this from personal experience.

Don't worry to much, because when you can see the power of you mind in full action you'l understand that you can take more then you think !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Panic attacks are typically one of the people commonly experienced problems. Hence, individuals who suffered Panic attacks feels guilty and frustrated. The main reason why they loose focus on themselves and could not be able to cure the problem. Panic attacks come into 3 reasons:
1. Genetic Predisposition
Individuals who experience panic attacks, has a huge possibility that they may inherit it form their parents or even from your great grandparent. Also, there is a bigger chance that you might be to pass it to your children.

2. Fearful experience during childhood days
There are some individuals who develop panic attacks during childhood days often acknowledge with numerous reasons such as losing someone who is dear to him/her, a product of a broken family, who had undergone a severe illness during childhood days and even overprotection from their parents.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you don't mind, would you estimate how long these attacks last? From the symptoms you listed, it does sound like you're having a panic attack but perhaps a more mild form. Less intense panic attacks tend to last longer but have fewer symptoms, which would explain why you only related to a few symptoms from the descriptions.

I'm sorry you're going through this. The best advice I can give could be to try to avoid anything that might trigger an attack (avoid reading/watching the news so much if it's negative) and to focus on your breathing if you feel an attack is coming. Of course, if you can see a doctor about your problems, that is always preferable to dealing with it by yourself. Don't forget that you can ask for help.

Best wishes to you!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Could be a panic attack. I had some really bad ones last year when I was going through a hard time. When you are having these episodes do you feel like you're not in control of yourself? Do you ever get the feeling that something is really wrong or something bad is about to happen? Those things distinguish panic attacks from general anxiety to me. I would get the cold feeling with some of my panic attacks, which is common.

I definitely agree with the other posters who've said you should consult a professional. Stress can impact your health negatively, not only emotionally but physically as well. You may need to go back on your medication. That's what I had to do (I also take Zoloft). It sucks having to be reliant on medication but anxiety sucks more.

Since you said your home situation is tense but you're stuck, maybe it would help to make more definite plans for moving out so you have a goal to look forward to. I know it's hard when you don't have the money, but if you start planning on how you're going to save up, where you're going to move, etc. it could help you to realize that this is only temporary and there is hope for your future.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
@huesos

The first think I like to ask, is about someones blood sugar. A LOT of people who have panic attacks are mildly to severely hypoglycemic and don't know it. There is also an alarming rate of people arrested over bad behaviour, and it turns out they are hypoglycemic, having an episode.

Are you a finicky eater/on a diet?

How do you feel after you have something sugary?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts