Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
this has been confusing me for the longest time. i've read through both types extensively and i'm still stumped. what are some of the major differences between the two?

i'm a guy. 100% overthinking introvert, but i force myself to put on the phony extroverted act when i'm out in the world because i don't want to be thought of as boring.

can't relate to anyone. 100% outsider loner.

have an extreme appreciation for aesthetics/beauty in nature to the point of feeling overwhelmed walking outside. very socially anxious. i dress fashionably, but understated. not too flashy, but obviously different. sort of like Johnny depp. i do care very much about how i look, but hate being seeing as "trying too hard".

i am always thinking about the human body and am super aware and appreciative of my heart and all the processes going on inside of me. when i'm at the grocery store or on the bus i will be looking around at everyone, amazed at how they all have these astonishing things going on inside of them allowing them to be alive. i have an elitist, condescending view on the general population because i see people just walking through the grocery store on their cell phones without a care in the world, unaware of the extremely important, intricate bodily processes going on inside of them. it is obviously an extremely unrealistic expectation of mine for everyone to constantly be in awe every time their heart beats, but i just feel that our eye sight/breathing/hearing is VERY overlooked/taken for granted until we start to lose it.

i am extremely perceptive and aware of others and believe other people feel uncomfortable around me because i can figure their entire being out in just a short time sitting with them.

i'm not easily fooled.

if someone insults me or goes against my values, i can and will completely shut them out of my life and never see them again, forever. even a semi-close family member. don't care. you get around 3 chances. if you're still shitty to me after that you're gone. i rarely forgive.

i was absolutely terrible at history in school because i didn't see how remembering the birth date of a president or knowing the outcome of some ancient battle was going to be useful in my lifetime.

i take my time with everything. slow-moving. don't rush, no matter what the situation.

buddhist views.

my life would be nothing without music.

i can stare at a cat drinking water or a bird eating seeds for 30 minutes and not get bored admiring the extreme details such as the way the bird blinks, the cat's whiskers, etc.

i'm also very much a realist. i see things how they are, warts and all. never lie. will admit when i did something wrong every time.

i will post more. i hope i didn't come off as narcissistic or anything! thanks.

oh, and i also very much agree with the quote, "Nowadays people know the price of everything but the value of nothing".

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
well INFJ's can sometimes type as ISFP because of our Inferior Se that gives us the "SP wannabe effect"

or you could be a slightly unhealthy ISFP who changes to INFJ personality (not great at this MBTI stuff but these seem to be the only two valid option)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Check out the cognitive functions if you haven't already. INFJ is dominant Ni and ISFP is dominant Fi. That's a big difference. And how do you relate to Se? That could give a very good hint, as an INFJ wouldn't be very strong on Se (though might aspire for it...) - so see if you can figure out how much Se is really part of your normal functioning.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check out the cognitive functions if you haven't already. INFJ is dominant Ni and ISFP is dominant Fi. That's a big difference. And how do you relate to Se? That could give a very good hint, as an INFJ wouldn't be very strong on Se (though might aspire for it...) - so see if you can figure out how much Se is really part of your normal functioning.
okay, thanks. i have no idea what the cognitive functions are. what are some characteristics of someone strong in Se?

edit: think i found it. reading about it now. i'm confused.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have found this link to be the most informative regarding the individual functions.
thanks!!!

"Se types seek and enjoy freedom, are good-natured, direct, tolerant and often the ones who provide levity."

"Se types are attuned to the environment and the myriad of colors, textures, sounds, beauty and the sensuousness of it all."

these are DEFINITELY me. like i said, no matter where i am out in the world, i get this overwhelming sensory overload. every single time i walk into somewhere as boring as a grocery store i'm shocked by the ridiculous amount of colors, scents, sounds, etc. of it all. and that's only the grocery store! something as powerful and beautiful as walking on the beach with waves crashing at my feet is so overwhelming that my mind almost shuts off.

i can stare at a cat drinking water or a bird eating seeds for 30 minutes and not get bored.

do infj's not experience that?

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
thanks!!!

"Se types seek and enjoy freedom, are good-natured, direct, tolerant and often the ones who provide levity."

"Se types are attuned to the environment and the myriad of colors, textures, sounds, beauty and the sensuousness of it all."

these are DEFINITELY me. like i said, no matter where i am out in the world, i get this overwhelming sensory overload. every single time i walk into somewhere as boring as a grocery store i'm shocked by the ridiculous amount of colors, scents, sounds, etc. of it all. and that's only the grocery store! something as powerful and beautiful as walking on the beach with waves crashing at my feet is so overwhelming that my mind almost shuts off.

i can stare at a cat drinking water or a bird eating seeds for 30 minutes and not get bored.

Then it's likely you are ISFP (at least if you are simply deciding between ISFP and INFJ) as they have Se as their Auxiliary function while INFJ's use it as their Inferior.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Here's a link to a cognitive function test that actually worked quite well for an ISFP friend who I thought might be an INFJ (and she thought this as well). Maybe it also works for you. :wink:

Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

Reactions: ertertwert

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can pretty much relate with OP. especially the walking in stores. I loathe entering new shops, especially without a friend, just because I don't know the layout/staff/floors/vibe etc. It does seem a bit too much to take in, especially in *busy* shopping centers and the likes.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
thanks!!!

Yeah, you sound like a sensor to me. :wink:

·
Registered
438 Posts
im telling you- u r DEFINITELY NOT an isfp
maybe an infj or maybe smthing else...but definitely not isfp
oh, and try taking the personality test on iPersonic.com
as a result, u will get a few words, for example Harmony Seeking Idealist, google that, and u will find ur MBTI as one of the results..
gud luck =)

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
MY best friend and longest relationship was with an ISFP, I also have a few other close ISFP friends. They are so mild natured and caring they can come of as NF and defiantly the most gentile of all the Sp types. An ISFP will stand and watch a sunset and a bird for no other reason than to adore its beauty in a way I can't comprehend, yes I think they are beautiful too and I will watch in aww but they mean something different to just beauty for me. ISFP's are a little impulsive they go where the moment takes them without thinking of the consequences. I always think things through and Im not at all impulsive except with strong emotions. They are attentive and caring toward people, hold strong ideals and yet lack the real empathic understanding that I have. They lack the burden of having other people feelings projected onto them.

My ex suffers from sensory overload stores are a chore but the sea side for him is energising, and spaces feeling of well being and imagination. For me I hate stores bright light and consumerism and the sea side is pretty but a bit cold sometimes. I tire of the mountains, parks and sea side he takes me to visit long before he does.

He shows a keen interest in theory and abstract ideas, he's happy to discuss and yet follows my lead, its not natural for him to think that way. he responds to my abstract thinking he doesn't think that way himself. His approach is earthy, genuine, fun and light hearted mine is deep, reflective, intuitive and meaningful. He seeks beauty in the world in all form and connections in life, I seek true love and understanding of the world. We have a clear and different approach.

His Ni leads to him deep thought sometimes, he feels like he over thinks and is frustrated by the confusing out come it brings. He defiantly has a capacity for analytical thinking BUT its no way near on my level. I would say don't underestimate the level of thinking and analysis that goes on with the INFJ its constant.

You sound just like him. when we first met he wasn't so happy with his life and a bit of a loner as his life improved he became more light hearted as the unskilled Ni got back in its box and the Se came into force. i comleatly fell in love with him at the point ISFP Se is magic they border on NF they're so sort of dreamy and taken with it.

he also thinks he can suss people out, not saying you can't but he thought he was ace at it, BUT he isn't! After meeting me he realises that now. What he is better at is sussing what use people are to him. He can put there good put and week points into a sort of action. they bad of non useful are ignored the others warmly received and hell they come up with goods. People are of no use no me they are an entirely different thing to useful.

He's also a mad healthy eater and keeps his body in check, he also hates consumerism and mindless sheep people :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
im telling you- u r DEFINITELY NOT an isfp
maybe an infj or maybe smthing else...but definitely not isfp
oh, and try taking the personality test on iPersonic.com
as a result, u will get a few words, for example Harmony Seeking Idealist, google that, and u will find ur MBTI as one of the results..
gud luck =)
just did the test. i got Harmony-seeking Idealist. the reason why i don't think i'm 100% INFJ is because if someone insults me or goes against my values, i can and will completely shut them out of my life and never see them again, forever. even a semi-close family member. don't care. you get around 3 chances. if you're still shitty to me after that you're gone. i rarely forgive. i thought INFJ people will sacrifice their values in order to keep peace with people.

also, when learning, i need to start at the EXTREME basics first to understand it. if i'm learning about dental hygiene, i can't go straight into learning how to x-ray the teeth. i need to basically be taught as if i were a 5 year old at first. what is a tooth? what is it made up of? what holds the tooth in place? why do we have teeth? after i get a grasp of the extreme basics, then i can slowly start to get into the more complicated stuff.

i'm very much convinced im a 4w5 if that helps at all.

yes, i can relate to your ex.

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
just did the test. i got Harmony-seeking Idealist. the reason why i don't think i'm 100% INFJ is because if someone insults me or goes against my values, i can and will completely shut them out of my life and never see them again, forever. even a semi-close family member. don't care. you get around 3 chances. if you're still shitty to me after that you're gone. i rarely forgive. i thought INFJ people will sacrifice their values in order to keep peace with people.
Read up on the "INFJ doorslam".

also, when learning, i need to start at the EXTREME basics first to understand it. if i'm learning about dental hygiene, i can't go straight into learning how to x-ray the teeth. i need to basically be taught as if i were a 5 year old at first. what is a tooth? what is it made up of? what holds the tooth in place? why do we have teeth? after i get a grasp of the extreme basics, then i can slowly start to get into the more complicated stuff.
Starting with the basics sounds pretty logical to me. It makes more sense than the other way around, certainly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That sounds like ISFP to me. While I can appreciate the beauty of nature, sensations, and colours, I can't focus on those things for a long period of time at once, because my mind quickly drifts off. It's hard for me to live in the moment, fully embracing the sensations. I wish I could, but INFJ's Se is burried deep under Ni, Fe and Ti, It's at the edge of our consciousness.

When I'm walking or driving my Se absorbs just enough information that I don't stumble on other people, or get hit by a car. I decide where I want to go and autopilot turns on, leaving the playground open for my Ni. While physical body moves on, my mind analyzes events that have happened, or will happen, digs out meanings and opens new perspectives. Se is quite unconscious for me, if someone throws a ball towards me I catch it without even noticing, people have also said that my walking style is fluid and I just glide forwards.

INFJs are dreamy and analytical, because of dominant Ni and tertiary Ti, however we have sharp insight into other peoples minds due to auxiliary Fe. Fe feels what other people are feeling, knows intuitively the hierarchy and dynamics of the group. Figures out what makes other people tick, and find helping and mentoring fulfilling.

ISFPs have this dreamy quality in them too, because of dominant Fi and tertiary Ni. However they are sharply connected to physical world, due to auxiliary Se. They can take the flood of sensations in and live in the moment. They have usually fine sense of aesthetics, it can be noticed in clothing and many other ways of expression.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Here's a link to a cognitive function test that actually worked quite well for an ISFP friend who I thought might be an INFJ (and she thought this as well). Maybe it also works for you. :wink:

Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes
Have you already done this test? You will get 3 suggestions as to what type you might be. Maybe you could also tell us what result you got function-wise. Even if it's still just gibberish to you, maybe we could help you interpret it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.