Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to scrutinize whether I am truly an INTJ. I've answered the usual MBTI questionnaires with my most extreme attitudes to get other types. The farthest it went was ENTJ.

Yet, I also suspect that I could be an INTP. What is the difference between Ni and Ne? (The thread in this forum about the difference between INTP and INTJ wasn't helpful)

In everyday life, I usually get hunches when something is about to fail. And then I'm annoyed when it actually fails as I had predicted. I have the same intuition when I try to figure out the character of people. And also among good friends, I can predict how someone is going to respond in a certain situation. Is that Ni or Ne? (The descriptions are so similar)

As to my everyday behavior, I am a planner, very orderly and strategic. And I love big picture thinking. I usually research, forge a plan and then execute it... which is very INTJ behavior. But I also know that as a child I loved figuring out how things work. I disassembled all my toys. That apparently is Ti. And according to model you can't change your type (which I don't believe).

What supports my being INTJ is a recent experience: I was playing Mastermind (the game where you have to guess the color of the pegs) and at a certain point I knew the correct answer without thinking. That I think is Ni. I decided to think it through logically (that I suppose is Ti), but I got impatient, so I just put the peg in and it was correct.

What do you think?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I can't say exactly how you think, but you seem to exhibit a number of traits many other INTJs can identify with. At the end of the day, it's really only you who can determine what you are, but be honest with yourself and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
From your text INTJ seems fair.

For you to be an INTP I would think that 3-4 of these 5 points would feel like you for you. (caution: ENTPs and INFPs
shall not use this as a test)

Do you...

Enjoy pointless speculation

Feel insecure about your abilities

Hate your need for emotional support

Often feel indecisive

Love when smart people disagree with you

If you analyze yourself from an outsider perspective and agree with all those, you should be an INTP or maybe ENTP.

Otherwise, I would assume you are an INTJ.

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Enjoy pointless speculation
Feel insecure about your abilities
Hate your need for emotional support
Often feel indecisive
Love when smart people disagree with you
Okay...

1. Definitely not. I hate it when discussions don't seem to converge towards an answer.
2. Hard to say. When it comes to my hard skills, I'd say no, although I often undersell myself because I think my skills are not good enough yet.
3. I assume that is about the opposite sex. I think I flip-flop on that. When nobody's there, I don't care that much and just do my stuff. But now and then I meet someone and get involved and then I get hooked on. But I can say that reading textbooks is much more interesting than dating.
4. Nope, my greatest strength are my decision skills.
5. Depends. When smart people disagree with me and they are right then I accept it. When they're wrong and persist then I'm annoyed.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Have you accomplished anything in life so far? Do you want to accomplish anything in life? If you don't understand why I'm saying this you are probably INTJ.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Okay...

1. Definitely not. I hate it when discussions don't seem to converge towards an answer.
2. Hard to say. When it comes to my hard skills, I'd say no, although I often undersell myself because I think my skills are not good enough yet.
3. I assume that is about the opposite sex. I think I flip-flop on that. When nobody's there, I don't care that much and just do my stuff. But now and then I meet someone and get involved and then I get hooked on. But I can say that reading textbooks is much more interesting than dating.
4. Nope, my greatest strength are my decision skills.
5. Depends. When smart people disagree with me and they are right then I accept it. When they're wrong and persist then I'm annoyed.
Welll you seem extraordinary INTJ to me, maybe ENTJ.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
This is detailed INTP description: An INTP Profile

If you can relate to most of it and think that this is totally you then you're probably an INTP. Unfortunately I don't have a detailed INTJ description to compare side by side. Only sure way to determine your type preference is to read about cognitive functions, which you can do here: Function Attitude. Read about Ti and Ni. Whichever ones are your dominant and auxiliary will be the ones you are most familiar with.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Tell us your hobbies. Do you know what you plan to major in? (assuming you're going to college)

In this situation, the world is ending. Do you laugh or cry?

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is detailed INTP description: An INTP Profile ... Only sure way to determine your type preference is to read about cognitive functions
Vel, thanks for the links, they were very helpful, especially the cognitive functions. I'm pretty sure now I'm INTJ, or at least that my dominant is Ni and not Ti. It feels really good to have those parameters secured.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm going through the same problem. I have no idea if I am an INTP or an INTJ. I love planning things out, and I know I am way more productive when I do so, but I also love keeping things open. The first time I did the test I came out even for both J and P. Since then I have done the test several times more and each time I have come out as a J. However, I have spoken to a lot of J's and I don't feel the same connection that I do with the P's I talk to. With a INTP I feel like the person is almost exactly the same as me.

I wonder if anyone could help.

I have answered the set of questions someone posted on the first page:

Enjoy pointless speculation YES
Feel insecure about your abilities SOME OF THEM
Hate your need for emotional support NOT REALLY
Often feel indecisive NOT REALLY
Love when smart people disagree with you YES

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I'm going through the same problem. I have no idea if I am an INTP or an INTJ. I love planning things out, and I know I am way more productive when I do so, but I also love keeping things open. The first time I did the test I came out even for both J and P. Since then I have done the test several times more and each time I have come out as a J. However, I have spoken to a lot of J's and I don't feel the same connection that I do with the P's I talk to. With a INTP I feel like the person is almost exactly the same as me.

I wonder if anyone could help.

I have answered the set of questions someone posted on the first page:

Enjoy pointless speculation YES
Feel insecure about your abilities SOME OF THEM
Hate your need for emotional support NOT REALLY
Often feel indecisive NOT REALLY
Love when smart people disagree with you YES

Any help would be great.
Ok, then, Johnny boy. I'm here to help. |D Which fruit do you relate to more- peach or watermelon?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I couldn't figure out if I wanted 4 or 5 chicken tenders at lunch yesterday. I had to have an ISTP literally take the tong out of my hand and push me further down the food line to the next option.

And I really appreciated it.

That's too funny, an ISTJ told me the other day it was lucky there was only chocolate cake left in the tea room, otherwise I'd have to make a choice and my brain would literally explode.

It's exhausting...

·
Registered
869 Posts
For you to be an INTP I would think that 3-4 of these 5 points would feel like you for you. (caution: ENTPs and INFPs
shall not use this as a test)
Do you...

Enjoy pointless speculation---> love it!!! who cares if we are right, it's fun!

Feel insecure about your abilities---> insecure doesn't even begin to describe I'm so self deprecating it's obscene.

Hate your need for emotional support---> I do, so I hide it and suffer in silence, like people with piles.

Often feel indecisive--> Unless something "feels" right immediately, the internal debate is exhausting.

Love when smart people disagree with you---NO. I like harmony!

I am an INTP!!!

(JOKING!!!)

·
Registered
87 Posts
And why's that? How did you first contemplate my question? (Keep bias out of this :tongue:)
At first I saw that the melon was hard on the outside but soft on the inside, while peach is soft on the outside and hard on the inside.

I just can't connect with a watermolon in the same way. While I tried to weigh it up rationally when neither fit, I went with the one which felt right.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts