Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've been regarding myself as an ISFP, and seem to find the description of the type very similar to my personality. But just by 80%. I'm really curious though, how can I tell whether I'm more Intuitive or sensing?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Youre most likely a sensory person. Pretty much like everyone else. But that doesnt indicate who you are, but you do. So now you can decide which one you are. Thats the thing that makes this system so funny, you can go about and pick your identity and people value you based on that, peoples thoughts about you will be formed based on what your type is. But then the question goes, will you let people do this? All this because of a type.

·
Registered
551 Posts
When you walk in the park, do you look at tress or daydream? And if you daydream, is it about looking at trees??

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
It's a bit more difficult in some ways to tell for the auxiliary/tertiary dynamic (For you, Sensing and Intuition), because it is not nearly as pivotal in your life as the dominant/inferior dynamic (Dominant Introverted Feeling vs Inferior Extroverted Thinking). But in others, it is easier, because they are generally freer from layers of complexes.

There's many different theories as to how the auxiliary and tertiary work. MBTI is actually rather unusual in that it has the auxiliary be the opposite orientation to the dominant and the tertiary the same (Fi Se Ni Te). There's another viewpoint that says that an ISFP would look like Fi Si Ne Te. If an individual is dominately introverted, the logic goes, why would they place an extroverted function as higher in value than an introverted one? Still another says that the auxiliary and tertiary are not very defined out like the dominant and inferior are, and so the order looks like Fi S N Te.

My suggestion is just to find which of the two, between sensing and intuition, you generally prefer or find more useful. That works as a starting point (and for the last, an ending point) for all of the different theories.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Give us some information to go by?

·
Registered
33 Posts
A way that I understand N vs S is a few ways:

- Ns live for theories and ideas, Ss live for experiences
- Ss deal with what is tangible, what is around them, while Ns deal with things within themselves, and Ns may be less reality based
- Ss are more action oriented, Ns are less action oriented
- Given finite examples, Ss will view each example as separate, and to be analyzed separately, while Ns will generalize a pattern

If you were to describe your day, would you describe the set of events as it happened? That would be S
If you were to describe your day, would you describe only the events that you had some opinion or insight on? That would be N

·
decorum worshiper
8,993 Posts
Have you narrowed it down to INFP vs ISFP? lf you have it should be somewhat easy to type yourself from there. You'd have to figure out if you use Ne or Se.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Sensing or Intuition
The second pair of psychological preferences is Sensing and Intuition. Do you pay more attention to information that comes in through your five senses (Sensing), or do you pay more attention to the patterns and possibilities that you see in the information you receive (Intuition)?
Everyone spends some time Sensing and some time using Intuition. Don’t confuse Sensing with sensual. They aren’t related.
Take a minute to ask yourself which of the following descriptions seems more natural, effortless, and comfortable for you?
Sensing (S)
Paying attention to physical reality, what I see, hear, touch, taste, and smell. I’m concerned with what is actual, present, current, and real. I notice facts and I remember details that are important to me. I like to see the practical use of things and learn best when I see how to use what I’m learning. Experience speaks to me louder than words.
The following statements generally apply to me:

• I remember events as snapshots of what actually happened.
  • I solve problems by working through facts until I understand the problem.
  • I am pragmatic and look to the “bottom line.”
  • I start with facts and then form a big picture.
  • I trust experience first and trust words and symbols less.
  • Sometimes I pay so much attention to facts, either present or past, that I miss new possibilities.
Intuition (N)
Paying the most attention to impressions or the meaning and patterns of the information I get. I would rather learn by thinking a problem through than by hands-on experience. I’m interested in new things and what might be possible, so that I think more about the future than the past. I like to work with symbols or abstract theories, even if I don’t know how I will use them. I remember events more as an impression of what it was like than as actual facts or details of what happened.
The following statements generally apply to me:

• I remember events by what I read “between the lines” about their meaning.
  • I solve problems by leaping between different ideas and possibilities.
  • I am interested in doing things that are new and different.
  • I like to see the big picture, then to find out the facts.
  • I trust impressions, symbols, and metaphors more than what I actually experienced
  • Sometimes I think so much about new possibilities that I never look at how to make them a reality.
Adapted from Looking at Type: The Fundamentals
by Charles R. Martin (CAPT 1997)
My MBTI Personality Type - MBTI Basics - Sensing or Intuition

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Lately I've been regarding myself as an ISFP, and seem to find the description of the type very similar to my personality. But just by 80%. I'm really curious though, how can I tell whether I'm more Intuitive or sensing?
Not much to go on, but I'm guessing that you are vacillating between ISFP and INFP, with the most noticeable difference being Se or Ne, respectively.

Se and Ne can be confusing, especially in the auxiliary position, but they are different. While both are possibility driven, Se will emphasize possible actions for ideas, while Ne will emphasize possible ideas for actions. Both will delve into "what if" discussions or thoughts, but Se will tend to have a more immediate context while Ne will be more possibilities for the future oriented. Se users tend to be very aware of their surroundings in a here and now context, while Ne users tend to be aware of their surroundings in a potential for the future context.

Reactions: cosmia

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I also suggest keeping in mind the difference between extraverts and introverts. As by definition, introverts prefer to spend more time in their inner world on ideas etc, regardless of whether they prefer intuitive or sensing perception.

Jung's Theory of Psychological Types and the MBTI Instrument - CAPT.org
Extraversion–Introversion (E–I)
Extraverts are oriented primarily toward the outer world; thus they tend to focus their perception and judgment on people and objects. Introverts are oriented primarily toward the inner world; thus they tend to focus their perception and judgment upon concepts and ideas.

Sensing–Intuition (S–N)
The S–N index is designed to reflect a person's preference between two opposite ways of perceiving; one may rely primarily upon the process of sensing (S), which reports observable facts or happenings through one or more of the five senses; or one may rely upon the less obvious process of intuition (N), which reports meanings, relationships and/or possibilities that have been worked out beyond the reach of the conscious mind.

·
Banned
1,534 Posts
N's are all spacey, like Luna Lovegood. S's are more realistic and grounded, and they notice things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts