Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a long journey of personality type changes (First I got ENFP because I clicked the wrong option, then ESFP because it was underneath my result so it was the one I wrote down) and now I'm sure I'm either an ENTP or INTP. Did the test correctly, yes.

So I'm having problems working out if I'm an introvert or extrovert. Extroverts have a lot of energy and I have that but I only show it when I'm around my small group of friends. I don't feel comfortable being in big crowds and being in big parties. On weekends while other teenagers love to go out and hang out with friends I prefer to stay home and be by myself and read or go on the computer or something. Usually I'm shy in front of strangers and I have NO idea how to talk to little kids (I have no siblings and no neighbours so that makes me a loner). While my friends think I'm loud and immature, it's only when I'm around with people I'm comfortable with. Around others I'm more quiet and reserved and mature.

So what do you think? Am I an INTP or ENTP?

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
You are more like INTP. ENTPs like to talk and be around people and would prefer to be with friends over being by themselves most of the time.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I'd take a look at the cognitive functions. INTPs are Ti Ne Si Fe, while ENTPs are Ne Ti Fe Si. So, the same functions, but slightly different ordering, which does create some differences. My twin brother is an ENTP, and I can see a lot of these differences. We think along similar lines, but he's more intuitive than me (and always has been), while I've always been a bit more of a critical thinker. So it's not just a simple introversion/extraversion thing. Do you feel like your absolute main drive is all of the ideas you have, or is it more about thinking through them? Which ever type of xNTP you are, you're going to go through this cognitive process, but you have to figure out which end of it is your strongest.

For me, extraverted iNtuition has always been just an aide to my thinking. It's not something I can really rely on; the only time I ever try to do so is when I'm attempting to be an extravert (which ends in my blossom into a wondrous social moth), and although I can make myself seem like an ENTP, by just turning off my Ti filter and letting my ideas and thoughts pour out, it can get awkward and the reaction to it can be poor. If you're an ENTP, you'll be able to have a field day with your Ne without much worry about it (although some people might still think you're crazy).

·
Banned
649 Posts
Even introverts can have a lot of energy talking to certain people they are comfortable with such as their friends.

I think thats the main source of your confusion as to whether you think you're more extraverted than introverted or vice versa.

I get loud and immature around a few friends as well. Its fun!

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
You sound more like an INTP than an ENTP. There's a big difference between the two types. ENTP's tend to be very bold, friendly, and talkative with even strangers. They freely speak their minds and don't seem to care at all about what others think of them or if they offend anyone.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So after a long journey of personality type changes (First I got ENFP because I clicked the wrong option, then ESFP because it was underneath my result so it was the one I wrote down) and now I'm sure I'm either an ENTP or INTP. Did the test correctly, yes.

So I'm having problems working out if I'm an introvert or extrovert. Extroverts have a lot of energy and I have that but I only show it when I'm around my small group of friends. I don't feel comfortable being in big crowds and being in big parties. On weekends while other teenagers love to go out and hang out with friends I prefer to stay home and be by myself and read or go on the computer or something. Usually I'm shy in front of strangers and I have NO idea how to talk to little kids (I have no siblings and no neighbours so that makes me a loner). While my friends think I'm loud and immature, it's only when I'm around with people I'm comfortable with. Around others I'm more quiet and reserved and mature.

So what do you think? Am I an INTP or ENTP?
I was going through the exact same thing! After reading numerous amounts of sources, I knew I was an xNTP (originally mistyped as an INTJ). But I questioned my introversion because I get this 'social high' around friends. Around them I am very talkative, energetic and immature. But with strangers or other classmates I try to be polite although I display a demure and aloof disposition. Sometimes I worry my friends only see the immature side and don't value my intelligence. Where as it is the opposite with my family. I can see my friends once and then go weeks without seeing them and not feel socially deprived, so I know I'm ultimately an introvert.

I'm the impish loud mouth in my group of friends as well as the voice of reason and the analytical one. XD I do have childish ways about me, but I'm still an introvert. You sound like an introvert as well. As an INTP I use Ti to think about ideas I have but then my Ne helps me when I share my theories. In fact, sometimes I discover new conclusions while I talk through my theories.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I think you seem more like an introverted feeler. Perhaps you're still forming your personality though, and it's difficult to tell based on the available information.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
If you want help discerning type make a thread in the Type Me forum.

I second what @RoSoDude wrote though that social introversion and extraversion =/= cognitive introversion and extraversion. This is the biggest part most people are confused over. Just look at @Darwin's Bastard who's an ENTP but socially introverted. But he thinks more like an ENTP than an INTP does, for example. Enneagram can make you seem introverted or extraverted. I have a triple withdrawn type with an introverted MBTI type, so I am exremely introverted even when compared to other introverts.

·
Banned
576 Posts
Xntp are very similiar to each other but the "resonance" between the two are very different. I believe personalities with the same dominate function are fundamentally the same. So your "spiritual brother" as i call them is an Istp.

The elasticity of the brain is greatest as children and that's when the dominate function reveals itself. So we can hypothesize from this that the dominate function is least influenced by environmental and social conditions in it's development. And thus the most important factor in comparing the alikeness of personalities. So if you are an INTP the ISTP is your "spiritual brother" or "Evil Twin", ENTP are your "Model Brother", INFP are your "Estranged Brothers" or"Black Sheep" and INTJ is your "Casual brothers".

So with that said if you look at ISTP's you'll find an almost childlike persona. An singlemindedness when it coems to completing tasks, an highly logical outlook on life and most importantly the highest regard for freedom. This is duplicated by the INTP but in areas of the thoeretical. The ENTP acts a whole lot more like the INTP. And some of you might think that's why those two are closest. Well the idea of "bieng something" is an opnion and those are voluntary what you know for certian are involuntary and uncontrollable. It will conquer you before you conquer it. In fact you have an fluid mind becuase it. It's the foundation or "only thing keeping it together". The same as trying to change where you were born and how you lived. It's not gonna happen and those things influence who are now even if you resent it.

So if you find alot of similarities between you and a ISTP(ignoring the sensing of course). Then your an INTP. An ENTP at thier core likes freedom but it loves Conquest and victory. It's one of the reasons why they take crazy-arsed risks without sufficient planning despite bieng an NT type. INTP have that philophy in reverse 1. Freedom 2.Victory. just like ISTP but that's unfortuantely where the similarities end. It's call your "Evil Twin" personality for a reason. Unconsciously your same consciously your dimensions apart.

Anyways hope you enjoyed the theory!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Let me make it simple:

On your way home from school/work/the circus, something amazing happens to you!
Do you:

A) Immediately call up everyone and tell them about it!
B) Reflect over it in your head for a while - savor the moment.

It's all about where you direct your energy.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Xntp are very similiar to each other but the "resonance" between the two are very different. I believe personalities with the same dominate function are fundamentally the same. So your "spiritual brother" as i call them is an Istp.

The elasticity of the brain is greatest as children and that's when the dominate function reveals itself. So we can hypothesize from this that the dominate function is least influenced by environmental and social conditions in it's development. And thus the most important factor in comparing the alikeness of personalities. So if you are an INTP the ISTP is your "spiritual brother" or "Evil Twin", ENTP are your "Model Brother", INFP are your "Estranged Brothers" or"Black Sheep" and INTJ is your "Casual brothers".

So with that said if you look at ISTP's you'll find an almost childlike persona. An singlemindedness when it coems to completing tasks, an highly logical outlook on life and most importantly the highest regard for freedom. This is duplicated by the INTP but in areas of the thoeretical. The ENTP acts a whole lot more like the INTP. And some of you might think that's why those two are closest. Well the idea of "bieng something" is an opnion and those are voluntary what you know for certian are involuntary and uncontrollable. It will conquer you before you conquer it. In fact you have an fluid mind becuase it. It's the foundation or "only thing keeping it together". The same as trying to change where you were born and how you lived. It's not gonna happen and those things influence who are now even if you resent it.

So if you find alot of similarities between you and a ISTP(ignoring the sensing of course). Then your an INTP. An ENTP at thier core likes freedom but it loves Conquest and victory. It's one of the reasons why they take crazy-arsed risks without sufficient planning despite bieng an NT type. INTP have that philophy in reverse 1. Freedom 2.Victory. just like ISTP but that's unfortuantely where the similarities end. It's call your "Evil Twin" personality for a reason. Unconsciously your same consciously your dimensions apart.

That's funny, because my twin brother is an ENTP.

Reactions: Entropic

·
Registered
450 Posts

So if you find alot of similarities between you and a ISTP(ignoring the sensing of course).
Actually, ISTP are kick ass, sensing or not. There have been several there where I thoroughly enjoyed their company or thoughts, amazing with machines and tools. Otherwise, I find them refreshingly child'ish and good natured though a slight disconnect when I try to leap to some of my thoughts. I mean really I think this idea of "sensor hate" is a bit stupid as if you meet them and work with them the S/N divide gets covered to an extent and they can understand stuff. I've also known many people obviously more sensor but with some good creativity that was surprising.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts

I don't understand the point of this post, more than perhaps showing a lack of understanding what cognitive extroversion means. The same is evidenced by others above me. Cognitive extroversion is NOT the same as social extroversion. @CowboyBarry is an introverted ENTP for example.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I don't understand the point of this post, more than perhaps showing a lack of understanding what cognitive extroversion means. The same is evidenced by others above me. Cognitive extroversion is NOT the same as social extroversion. @CowboyBarry is an introverted ENTP for example.
After considerable thought and reflection, I think the order of my cognitive functions more align with the ENTP temperament. I do relate to many INTP characteristics, but I can't deny my insane Ne, which I believe is most dominant. Those online tests always have me come up as INTP, but my faith in the validity of those tests is almost non-existent. I think I might have to join the Enneagram 5 ENTP CowboyBarry camp. I forgot, but I think you once told me I might be an ENTP.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
After considerable thought and reflection, I think the order of my cognitive functions more align with the ENTP temperament. I do relate to many INTP characteristics, but I can't deny my insane Ne, which I believe is most dominant. Those online tests always have me come up as INTP, but my faith in the validity of those tests is almost non-existent. I think I might have to join the Enneagram 5 ENTP CowboyBarry camp. I forgot, but I think you once told me I might be an ENTP.
Don't trust my Si memory because it's as bad as that of an ENTP's :tongue: You may very well be right though. I have a tendency to spot these inconsistencies in others after some time.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Don't trust my Si memory because it's as bad as that of an ENTP's :tongue: You may very well be right though. I have a tendency to spot these inconsistencies in others after some time.
I call it my consciously "selective" memory ;) I've been around a bunch of INTPs IRL, and though I relate immensely to them, I suppose I've always been more engaging, unfiltered, and assertive when I think about it more. I could just be an ambivert. I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

Reactions: downsowf

·
Registered
953 Posts
Well, ENTPs love parties. They like to interact with the people and test out their socializing skills. For ENTPs talking is easy, for INTPs being quiet is easy. This is an easily measurable difference between extroversion and introversion. Do you have a hard time keeping your thoughts in or do you have a hard time letting them out?

·
Registered
953 Posts
You most likely seem ENTP to me, but Ne is not a way assuring yourself. INTPs have Ne as well as our second highest function. A better test would be to consider Fe. Are you friendly and openly social to people? Do you keep in touch with friends? Read this and consider it: Extraverted Feeling (Fe)

Reactions: downsowf
1 - 20 of 28 Posts