Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! :happy:

I've been typed as both ISFP and INFP.
I've also been typed IxFP because 2 or 3 times I came in at 50% on both my S and my N.
The description for the ISFP fits me and so does the description for the INFP so I've decided to stop trying to figure it out for myself and ask somebody.

What do you think?

Except I don't know what questions to ask or statements to make.
I seem to combine both sensory and intuitive personality traits which makes testing difficult.

I know that I day dream and space out frequently.
I get bored easily.
I get bored easily during lectures and space out or day dream.
I can't wear gloves because I can't feel through them.
I learn better if I can do it as well as watch it.
My imagination adds things to my memory that weren't there in the first place.

I don't know what else to say. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for your help.:happy:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Most of the stuff you've listed is irrelevant.
'My imagination adds things to my memory that weren't there in the first place.' is also irrelevant, it's known as confabulation.

If you daydream and space out, what do you daydream about? How frequent?
If I had to call you on that alone, it would be INFP. But I have no idea.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
lol Let's see if this ridiculous sounding experiment works. *Note: It wouldn't for me. Anyway, you walk into a room. There's an orange on the table. You have two minutes to describe said orange. Go! j/k Well, I've read it's an actual little experiment to illustrate the differences in sensors and intuitives, so if you want to give it a shot, feel free. Though, it may not work for you either, as you're technically neither an intuitive or a sensor, you're a feeler, as your dominant function is Fi, either way.

Other than that, if you're an ISFP, you're going to be using Se and Ni, and it's not explicitly stated, that it's not possible for you to have developed Ni over Se. If you're an INFP, you're going to be using Ne and Si, and it's no less possible, that you could develop Si over Ne. However, I noticed, that you posted a thread about having psychic abilities. Take this with a freaking huge grain of salt, in other words don't stop searching for an answer just because of this, but that sort of thing is typically related to Ni. I've seen it mentioned in a couple of INFJ profiles.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most of the stuff you've listed is irrelevant.
'My imagination adds things to my memory that weren't there in the first place.' is also irrelevant, it's known as confabulation.

If you daydream and space out, what do you daydream about? How frequent?
If I had to call you on that alone, it would be INFP. But I have no idea.

Thank you for responding ThinkerNinja:happy:

It's like I'm a concrete or maybe just practical thinker that day dreams and spaces out a lot. My day dreams are frequent and mostly involve scenario's that have happened and I replay them in my mind or things I wish would happen,or things I'm planning and how I wish they would occur or things that are completely bizarre,but I don't always remember what they were about... also many are theoretical and/or philosophical. I can be very philosophical.
. My imagination runs away from me a lot or my mind wanders or as I put it (my mind goes for a walk without me:laughing:)

I am a concrete thinker in respect to ideas. I don't come up with ideas quickly, at least not in a classroom setting.
I'm too self conscious and I don't seem to have the imagination or least I can't tap into it for some reason.
I can very enthusiastic and intense about being creative and it draws attention.:laughing:
While the rest of the time I'm withdrawn unless I'm in the right mood and/or environment, then I can be extroverted.

I'm practical with money and survival.
I won't buy things I don't need or can't use.
I don't just buy something just to buy it.
I'll spend if I can afford it and even then I'm careful, which sucks, because I'm the kind of person who pretty much needs to have fun.
In college I have to have directions slowly said/shown to me one on one with the teacher. Part of it is a complete lack of self confidence, part of it is I get anxious and can't think and the other part well, I'm not sure:laughing:.

I can get caught up in details at times and other times I only see the bigger picture.

Even though I day dream,I tend to be aware of the people that are around me and the place I'm in.
Though, I do get snuck up on at times because I get lost in my thoughts.

It's like I go back and forth between awareness and la la land. :laughing:
I tend to combine facts and theories together to create new ideas.
Like science and the metaphysical for example.

I tend to live in the here and now,but I also worry about the future and think about the past.
I'm not sure how that works with me, I'll have to think about it.

I enjoy and am aware of physical sensations very much, touching, smelling, seeing, etc.

I don't know what else to say.
This is kind of helping me think,but I'm still not sure.
If you have any questions or suggestions please feel free to ask or say.
Thank you for your help again:happy:

Intuition refers to how people process data. Intuitive people focus on the future and the possibilities. They process information through patterns and impressions. They read between the lines, they are abstract thinkers.

Intuitive Characteristics
Future-focused
Sees possibilities
Inventive
Imaginative
Deep
Abstract
Idealistic
Complicated
Theoretical

Sensing refers to how people process data. Sensing people focus on the present, they are "here and now" people, who are factual and process information through the five senses. They see things as they are, they are concrete thinkers.

Sensing Characteristics
Concrete
Realistic
Lives in the present
Aware of surroundings
Notices details
Practical
Goes by senses
Factual

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol Let's see if this ridiculous sounding experiment works. *Note: It wouldn't for me. Anyway, you walk into a room. There's an orange on the table. You have two minutes to describe said orange. Go! j/k Well, I've read it's an actual little experiment to illustrate the differences in sensors and intuitives, so if you want to give it a shot, feel free. Though, it may not work for you either, as you're technically neither an intuitive or a sensor, you're a feeler, as your dominant function is Fi, either way.

Other than that, if you're an ISFP, you're going to be using Se and Ni, and it's not explicitly stated, that it's not possible for you to have developed Ni over Se. If you're an INFP, you're going to be using Ne and Si, and it's no less possible, that you could develop Si over Ne. However, I noticed, that you posted a thread about having psychic abilities. Take this with a freaking huge grain of salt, in other words don't stop searching for an answer just because of this, but that sort of thing is typically related to Ni. I've seen it mentioned in a couple of INFJ profiles.
Thank you big bad wolf:happy:

Ya, I noticed that too, that INFJ's seem to be really interested in psychic phenomena and such.
I've never tested that personality before. It's kind of weird. Hm. You'd think so wouldn't you?
It's always been either INFP or ISFP and of course like I was saying, the 50% S/N tests that I got as well.

Anyway....

I'll give the orange test a try, just to see what'll happen. Why not?

It's roundish, it's got pock marks in it, it's soft but slightly firm, it smells kind of tangy and salty, it's skin is a little rough, it has lines coming off the sides on the top where the stem was, it leans a little to the side, it's light orange

Well that's two minutes.

What do you think? :happy:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Thank you big bad wolf:happy:

Ya, I noticed that too, that INFJ's seem to be really interested in psychic phenomena and such.
I've never tested that personality before. It's kind of weird. Hm. You'd think so wouldn't you?
It's always been either INFP or ISFP and of course like I was saying, the 50% S/N tests that I got as well.

Anyway....

I'll give the orange test a try, just to see what'll happen. Why not?

It's roundish, it's got pock marks in it, it's soft but slightly firm, it smells kind of tangy and salty, it's skin is a little rough, it has lines coming off the sides on the top where the stem was, it leans a little to the side, it's light orange

Well that's two minutes.

What do you think? :happy:
Well, according to what I read/heard, those would be Sensor answers. Sensors are supposed to go into detail about the smell, taste, texture, color, and other physical aspects of the orange. An intuitive, especially an Ne user, which would be an INFP, in this case, supposedly might look at the orange and suddenly think of Veggie Tales or something. Ne relates/connects objects in weird errr...I mean, other contexts. It's kind of "out in left field", so to speak, which is what makes it abstract. Also, it considers possibilities, so an INFP might think, "Hmm...that stem looks kind of like a hat. If I had a couple of sticks, I could make this orange little feet and make him a dancing orange, or I could use it like a trash can basketball, a pincushion..."

The reason I brought up Ni and INFJ's, is because ISFP's also use Ni. I'm not certain how much you know about type theory, but each type has four functions, they are said to be most comfortable with, in order of comfort.

INFJ = Ni Fe Ti Se
ISFP = Fi Se Ni Te

So, you see, as an ISFP, you would still use Ni, just not as much as an INFJ. Though, it could possibly account for your interest in psychic phenomena, as it's Ni in the INFJ, that accounts for it.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
By the way, don't feel obligated to assume your experiment results assure, that you're a Sensor. However, I'm rather impressed, that you answered toward either end of the spectrum. I'm fairly certain, that I would fail the experiment. lol I'm a Thinker type, and I would answer from what is very likely a Thinker perspective. I would simply write down facts about oranges. "It's a fruit. It grows in tress. It's a source of Vitamin C." And then ask why I was asked to waste two minutes of my life on a pointless experiment. lol

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, according to what I read/heard, those would be Sensor answers. Sensors are supposed to go into detail about the smell, taste, texture, color, and other physical aspects of the orange. An intuitive, especially an Ne user, which would be an INFP, in this case, supposedly might look at the orange and suddenly think of Veggie Tales or something. Ne relates/connects objects in weird errr...I mean, other contexts. It's kind of "out in left field", so to speak, which is what makes it abstract. Also, it considers possibilities, so an INFP might think, "Hmm...that stem looks kind of like a hat. If I had a couple of sticks, I could make this orange little feet and make him a dancing orange, or I could use it like a trash can basketball, a pincushion..."

The reason I brought up Ni and INFJ's, is because ISFP's also use Ni. I'm not certain how much you know about type theory, but each type has four functions, they are said to be most comfortable with, in order of comfort.

INFJ = Ni Fe Ti Se
ISFP = Fi Se Ni Te

So, you see, as an ISFP, you would still use Ni, just not as much as an INFJ. Though, it could possibly account for your interest in psychic phenomena, as it's Ni in the INFJ, that accounts for it.
You explain things very well. Thank you:happy:
The idea behind the test makes sense,but I'll continue to keep searching because you believe I should.:happy:

You may be right though. I might be dominantly sensing with a strong Ni.

As for type functions, I just learned about those the other day. So I'm really new to those. I'm still learning about different personality types as well. It's all really interesting stuff.:cool:

By the way, don't feel obligated to assume your experiment results assure, that you're a Sensor. However, I'm rather impressed, that you answered toward either end of the spectrum. I'm fairly certain, that I would fail the experiment. lol I'm a Thinker type, and I would answer from what is very likely a Thinker perspective. I would simply write down facts about oranges. "It's a fruit. It grows in tress. It's a source of Vitamin C." And then ask why I was asked to waste two minutes of my life on a pointless experiment. lol
Answers like that are good too.
In my opinion, useful information isn't a failure, it's..well...useful:laughing:

Thank you for the compliment. It's really kind of you.:happy:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
You're welcome. And, it's your type, so I would definitely advocate deciding for yourself. I would hate to type you and be wrong. lol If you'd like any links to more potential information, I'd be willing to assist, where I can. The deeper you look into the theory, the more complex things get, but looking at it through the basics, is a bit incomplete. For instance, the list you pasted here, is encompassing both forms of Sensing (Se and Si) and both forms of Intuiting (Ne and Ni) and some of them are more apparent, when paired with a thinking function, and others, when paired with a feeling function. In other words, even if you are an ISFP, because you use Se, you probably won't relate to the more Si traits, and maybe not even to certain Se traits, that are probably more apparent in STP's. Same could be said for INFP. Some of those traits are far more relative to Ni, than Ne, and some are more relevant to Ne, with Ti (NTP's), as opposed to Ne, with Fi (NFP's).

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're welcome. And, it's your type, so I would definitely advocate deciding for yourself. I would hate to type you and be wrong. lol If you'd like any links to more potential information, I'd be willing to assist, where I can. The deeper you look into the theory, the more complex things get, but looking at it through the basics, is a bit incomplete. For instance, the list you pasted here, is encompassing both forms of Sensing (Se and Si) and both forms of Intuiting (Ne and Ni) and some of them are more apparent, when paired with a thinking function, and others, when paired with a feeling function. In other words, even if you are an ISFP, because you use Se, you probably won't relate to the more Si traits, and maybe not even to certain Se traits, that are probably more apparent in STP's. Same could be said for INFP. Some of those traits are far more relative to Ni, than Ne, and some are more relevant to Ne, with Ti (NTP's), as opposed to Ne, with Fi (NFP's).
Well thank you again.:happy:
You're very kind to be offering your help like this.
I have no idea what I'd be asking for as far as links go though.
It does get complex doesn't it?
I realize human nature is complex, some more than others.:laughing:
If you have any inexpensive/preferrably free links I would greatly appreciate your passing those along to me.
I can use all the help I can get. :tongue:

I found an interesting site, have you seen it before? What do you think of it?

Brief descriptions of cognitive functions (a.k.a. Personality “traits”)

I'm sorry to be nosey,but are you a teacher of some sort?
You explain things very well.
No pressure to answer if you don't want, it's a private,personal matter for many. :happy:

Thank you again.:happy:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Well thank you again.:happy:
You're very kind to be offering your help like this.
I have no idea what I'd be asking for as far as links go though.
It does get complex doesn't it?
I realize human nature is complex, some more than others.:laughing:
If you have any inexpensive/preferrably free links I would greatly appreciate your passing those along to me.
I can use all the help I can get. :tongue:

I found an interesting site, have you seen it before? What do you think of it?

Brief descriptions of cognitive functions (a.k.a. Personality “traits”)

I'm sorry to be nosey,but are you a teacher of some sort?
You explain things very well.
No pressure to answer if you don't want, it's a private,personal matter for many. :happy:

Thank you again.:happy:
Not a teacher, but thank you for the compliment. :wink: I hadn't seen that link before, but it's not bad. Here are a few more for you.

A cognitive function test, if you haven't taken one.

Chapter X of Psychological Types - Jung's original descriptions of the types.

This site has some good descriptions of the functions.

The profiles on this site are pretty interesting.

An interesting article on extraverted sensing and extraverted intuition. I really like Berens work, unfortunately I don't have the money to buy her books, at the moment. Apparently, she thinks many a tested NP, is actually an SP.

This site had some really helpful stuff, for me. A lot of information to look through, from profiles to cognitive functions.

Finally, The Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki. People seem a little iffy, with how they feel about her work, but there's a lot of information on there, as well.

I'm sure this is more than a fair start. lol

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not a teacher, but thank you for the compliment. I hadn't seen that link before, but it's not bad. Here are a few more for you.

A cognitive function test, if you haven't taken one.

Chapter X of Psychological Types - Jung's original descriptions of the types.

This site has some good descriptions of the functions.

The profiles on this site are pretty interesting.

An interesting article on extraverted sensing and extraverted intuition. I really like Berens work, unfortunately I don't have the money to buy her books, at the moment. Apparently, she thinks many a tested NP, is actually an SP.

This site had some really helpful stuff, for me. A lot of information to look through, from profiles to cognitive functions.

Finally, The Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki. People seem a little iffy, with how they feel about her work, but there's a lot of information on there, as well.

I'm sure this is more than a fair start. lol
Wow! Thank you:cool:

I appreciate you going to all the effort.
I'll definitely look into these, even if I figure out whether I'm S or N, it'll be a great learning experience.
I think that I may be more S than N though
with a strong Ni(?)Fi(?) Ne(?)function.
Sorry, still trying to get the hang of this.:laughing:

Thank you again. You're awesome.:happy:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
You're welcome. If you are an ISFP, it is possible, that you have a developed sense/use of your Ni, and the combined use of Ni/Se, can mimic Ne. That's discussed, in the article on differentiating extraverted sensing from extraverted intuition. A fair amount of those who identify themselves as Ne users wouldn't like it (particularly the NF's), but it would seem Berens' impression, is that there simply isn't that many true N types. Old statistical data, tends to make about 75% of the population Sensors. I have no idea what her type is, but I'm going to guess it's a Thinker variation, and she finds this sudden shift in numbers, to be lacking a logical explanation, outside of people mistyping themselves. Thinker perspective, would be to see an illogical pattern, presenting a problem with conflicting data, so you correct it. It doesn't take into account, the fact, that NFP's would probably get pissed at the insinuation, that they weren't actually NFP's. Anyway, that first link is to a test. It has some of the same issues as any of the other tests, but I have noted a pattern in people's results. It would seem, the test is usually pretty good at picking out your dominant category type. For instance, I score very high in Te and Ti, because I'm a Thinker. A Feeler, like yourself, will often score high in Fi and Fe, and so forth. If it turns out you score highest in Ni and Ne, it gives you further reason to reconsider your type. Though, the Intuitors are ENP's and INJ's, so it would be a bit of a significant reconsideration.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're welcome. If you are an ISFP, it is possible, that you have a developed sense/use of your Ni, and the combined use of Ni/Se, can mimic Ne. That's discussed, in the article on differentiating extraverted sensing from extraverted intuition. A fair amount of those who identify themselves as Ne users wouldn't like it (particularly the NF's), but it would seem Berens' impression, is that there simply isn't that many true N types. Old statistical data, tends to make about 75% of the population Sensors. I have no idea what her type is, but I'm going to guess it's a Thinker variation, and she finds this sudden shift in numbers, to be lacking a logical explanation, outside of people mistyping themselves. Thinker perspective, would be to see an illogical pattern, presenting a problem with conflicting data, so you correct it. It doesn't take into account, the fact, that NFP's would probably get pissed at the insinuation, that they weren't actually NFP's. Anyway, that first link is to a test. It has some of the same issues as any of the other tests, but I have noted a pattern in people's results. It would seem, the test is usually pretty good at picking out your dominant category type. For instance, I score very high in Te and Ti, because I'm a Thinker. A Feeler, like yourself, will often score high in Fi and Fe, and so forth. If it turns out you score highest in Ni and Ne, it gives you further reason to reconsider your type. Though, the Intuitors are ENP's and INJ's, so it would be a bit of a significant reconsideration.

Well, I took the test.

It's a Very Cool test:cool:

My results make sense somewhat.

It says I'm either INFP, ENFP, or ISFP:laughing:
Kind of funny, huh?

My introverted sensing(Si) and introverted intuition(Ni) are almost the same score and my feeling(Fi) is really high, I am a very feeling person,but I'm more expressive, at least with certain people, than it says though.
Though sometimes I wish I was more of a thinker.

We have different people in the world for a reason.:happy:

I'll also look at the other resources that you sent to me.
This was a good one though. :happy:

Thank You

Your Cognitive Development Profile
The forty-eight questions you rated earlier tap into the eight cognitive processes. Some questions tapped into basic or developed use of a process used by itself, while other questions tapped into use of multiple processes at once. The profile below is based on your responses. The number of squares indicate strength of response. The equivalent numeric is shown in parentheses along with likely level of development.

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************** (26.9)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) *********************************** (35.9)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ***************************** (29.8)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************ (36.6)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************** (23.8)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************* (21.8)
limited use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************** (20.7)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************************** (44.9)
excellent use

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: INFP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Introverted Feeling (Fi): Staying true to who you really are. Paying close attention to your personal identity, values and beliefs. Checking with your conscience. Choosing behavior congruent with what is important to you.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: ENFP, or ISFP

If these results are different from what you know of yourself, you might consider why your developmental pattern does not align with your expectation. You might also consider exploring this result as a possible better fit.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I sort of expected you would relate well to Ni. Test wasn't much of a help, eh? Not particularly unusual, unfortunately. As for wishing to be a Thinker, there were a few specific instances, that I wished to be a Feeler. Unfortunately, well chronicled on this site, through, what are now, embarrassing posts, blogs, and egregious errors in logic. lol

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I sort of expected you would relate well to Ni. Test wasn't much of a help, eh? Not particularly unusual, unfortunately. As for wishing to be a Thinker, there were a few specific instances, that I wished to be a Feeler. Unfortunately, well chronicled on this site, through, what are now, embarrassing posts, blogs, and egregious errors in logic. lol
It was helpful, quite a bit.
I can look at the differences on "paper" and make the comparisons.
I see percentages now, which solidifies my suspicions to a point.
For a long time I thought I was more intuitive,but all this introspection has gotten me doubting myself.:laughing:
I appreciate that you went to the trouble to get the link and this information for me.
I could very well be an INFP and I'm misreading myself.
I can be kind of "different":laughing:
I believe I'm a pretty complex person (aren't we all:laughing:) but I think my moods seem to dictate what traits come out, so it's confusing.
I'll get it figured out, I guess it doesn't matter that much.
I'd just like to find people who understand me mostly.
It's difficult to pinpoint a group if you don't have a specific label to hand out.:happy:

I think you're a very cool person.
You don't come across as overly intellectual or anything like that.
I can see you're smart,but you seem to care.
I can understand where you're coming from though.
It can be frustrating at times.
I'm sorry, I had to say that.
I feel bad that you feel bad about yourself or even if you just felt bad(past tense), but don't now.
If that made sense. :laughing:
Still, you know...

Anyway, I'll stop talking now before I insert foot in slot A and have to use said crowbar to pry it out.:laughing:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That you had to ask lends itself to S type thinking.
I know this seems contradictory and arguementative, but you should look in the INFP forum.
You'll see that not even an intuitive person know who they are sometimes.:happy:
No offense intended by this comment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts