Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I thought that one of my best friends was going behind my back with a girl who he knows I am interested in and who he was helping me with. I was suspicious of his reaction when I mentioned some things indirectly. What are tell-tale signs to look for?

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
Body language signs of lying include inability to make eye contact, an awkward smile that doesn't quite reach his eyes, and conflicting speech and head gestures (nodding and saying no, for example).

More importantly, where's your dog avatar? :shocked:

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
*If his answers don't make sense, they probably aren't true.
*Defensiveness.
*Turning it around on you.
*Avoiding, or dancing around answering questions.
*His answers don't match up with things she mentions about him.
*Body language like scratching behind his neck while answering you, touching his face, shoulder, scratching or fidgeting in general.

Plus everything @Stephen said.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Stephen I thought it was time for a change. Oliver himself is doing great though. ;)

Thanks for the replies guys, I need to think a bit and then I'll reply properly. I don't trust the body language and eyes/smile which I saw today...

Reactions: Stephen

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The eye contact thing isn't necessarily the best indicator. It's pretty well-known, so a lot of people will go out of their way to make eye contact when they're lying because they think think it will help them look more convincing. Also, some people naturally struggle with making eye contact because they're awkward.

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
Body language signs of lying include inability to make eye contact, an awkward smile that doesn't quite reach his eyes, and conflicting speech and head gestures (nodding and saying no, for example).

More importantly, where's your dog avatar? :shocked:
Actually liars take advantage of this common myth and will make it a point to stare into your eyes even more than normal to get the point across.

Most liars will put so much thought and energy into lying that the rest of their body will seem unnatural, or even completely still such as in the fight or flight response. Which actually isn't the fight or flight response because the first reaction is to freeze:tongue:

Honestly though, the best way to catch a liar is to have an understanding of their base. Their base is what they are normally like in everyday life when telling the truth. When they deviate from it, it is a clear indicator of stress.

NOTE! I SAID STRESS!

Stress is in no way a 100% clear cut answer to if a person is lying or not, in fact, nothing is, not even lie detector tests. While a person can reasonably extrapolate that a person is lying by added stress and deviation from a person's base it is not 100% and nothing currently is.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Today I thought that one of my best friends was going behind my back with a girl who he knows I am interested in and who he was helping me with. I was suspicious of his reaction when I mentioned some things indirectly. What are tell-tale signs to look for?
There's your problem. Don't involve your friends in your love life.

As for telling if someone's lying: go with your instincts. You will unconsciously pick up "bad vibes" from someone who's not being entirely straight-forward.

Reactions: L

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Is he a liar when he does address things as indirectly as you, or are you one for not being upfront.

Philosophy taking to a whole new level!

P.S: Everyone's a liar.

P.P.S: That was a lie.

P.P.P.S: That, too.

·
Heretic
ESI 5w4 9w8 2w1
10,691 Posts
You are completely sane.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
tips of detecting deception....Althou please note....clusters are usually required. And hold more credit if clusters are observed, but still doesn't actually prove or mean lying.

When you ask a question.....replying too quickly, (indicates they have already thought the answer and rehersed what they want to say)
Also not answering the question first when u ask.(deflecting attention, or not giving straight answer)

Nerves in the face make people itch certain places on their face.....blood circulation in the face increases when lying.

So ears, nose, top lip.

If they take a step backwards that can indicate wanted to back away and not feeling confident in what they said

ALso facial expressions, But that would take far too long to explain all the different micro expressions

erm..... indications of shame can also maybe indicate a lie, so looking down when answering questions would indicate that the person is feeling shame at what they have in their mind

if u need more i can try and think of some

Reactions: L

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was wrong btw :s I had a difficult time with this girl but my friends' support has been great, I feel very bad for having doubted him. But at the time I was "sure".

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Today I thought that one of my best friends was going behind my back with a girl who he knows I am interested in and who he was helping me with.
You're adorable.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're adorable.
lol I am just talking about behind the scenes manouvering, I am not saying he held her down and put the condom on for me. XD

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
I'm not a liar.
The above sentence is false.
The other sentences are true.
This sentence is false.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts