Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new btw but have MANY, MANY questions about MBTI and cognitive functions =')

Shy Extrovert.
Ok, so, I did read up about it before I had to come here to ask other people's opinions BUT I just can't decide whether it applies to me.
Maybe I'm an introvert - I don't know.

I've took multiple tests, multiple times and been given all sorts of different types.
INFP, ENFP, ENTP, ISFP, INFJ, ESFJ, ENFJ...

My problem has always been when trying to see myself in a situation where what the personality type profile fits.
I feel like I fit with most of them in most ways but there's usually something there that doesn't sound anything like me.

I get INFP a lot from the tests but it just doesn't sound right.
I identify a lot with ENFJ. I read about how ENFJ's are in relationships, friendships and everything and it sounds like it was written about me.

I'm gonna try make it easier to read.

Reasons why I could be introverted:
1) I don't go out often,
2) shy,
3) quiet around new people (shy?),
4) can find something to do when alone to keep myself from being bored (sing, read about MBTI, play with my cat, talk to friends...) (thank you internet!!),
5) I like to improve myself in someway (physically, knowledge, mentally as in try not to be shy),
6) I don't talk to strangers (This is definitely because I'm shy though),
7) I'm uncomfortable being the centre of attention (although I probably want it before I get it),
8) I like to have one on one conversations with close friends if the conversation is interesting to me.
9) I only have 4 close friends (being strict on who I'd class as close)

Reasons why I could be extroverted:
1) want to talk to strangers and make them like me (but anxiety stops me),
2) I tend to "fade" when I'm alone and get excited or energized when around/talking to people (I don't know if I'd call it feeling drained),
3) I have lots of people who I'd call friends (not close friends),
4) I've been to college 3 times so far but dropped out all 3 times. The reason that could be extroverted is my reasons for going in the first place (I was excited about meeting new funny people and hopefully a potential girlfriend)
5) I want people to notice me (but uncomfortable when they do sometimes). This can be anything from walking on to a bus and wanting everyone to look at me and think I'm hot/cool/fun, to trying on all the hats in a shop at the same time to make people notice me and think I'm fun and also to make my friends laugh.
6) I like to talk about things I'm thinking about with other people to make sure they agree and if not find out why so I can change my idea or their opinion,
7) On cognitive function tests I ALWAYS come out with Fe as my strongest most developed function.

PLEASE HELP ME!! I'VE BEEN CONFUSED ABOUT THIS FOR MONTHS!! I JUST WANT TO KNOW FINALLY!!

='D

·
Banned
201 Posts
introversion and extroversion isn't about being social.

it's a common mistake, but basically, an introvert has a few interests that they know like the back of their hand, while the extrovert tends to have a wider spectrum of knowledge but not as in depth.

however take this into consideration- if you get more thoughts going in after being out with friends or from outter factors, you're probably an extrovert. if you get more thoughts when you're alone and in your "zone", you're probably an introvert.

i tl:dr'd most of the OP so just go with what I gave you ;p

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could tell while writing it that nobody would read that much crap aha

Questions:
Would a documentary or film be classed as an outer factor?
Is it possible that I'm just ambiverted or close to being ambiverted? I only get about 25% extroversion preference over introversion when typed as such and vice versa too.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts

Questions:
Is it possible that I'm just ambiverted or close to being ambiverted? I only get about 25% extroversion preference over introversion when typed as such and vice versa too.
Everyone's ambiverted to an extent. Even the most hyperactive extraverts need alone time to recharge and even the most "antisocial" introverts need to go out and mingle once in a while. Otherwise some kind of "mental" or "personality" disorder starts to develop. Being an extreme of something is always bad.

Anyhow, my only question to you: think about what gives you the most joy and energy and why

·
Registered
146 Posts
however take this into consideration- if you get more thoughts going in after being out with friends or from outter factors, you're probably an extrovert. if you get more thoughts when you're alone and in your "zone", you're probably an introvert.
I don't know if this is true. I get lots of different "thoughts" whether I'm alone or with people. It's more about whether you gain energy being around other people, or expend it.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
I used to be quite shy, too, but I am most definitely an extrovert. these factors helped me realize I was an Extrovert (among others):

~ When I thought I was an Introvert, I was miserable. If I'm alone too long I go crazy (i.e. pacing around & talking to myself, leaving the house to go out jogging every couple hours just to see faces and the sun, pestering people to let me study with or next to them, scaring people at the library with my 'friendlies' - and I swear my Enneagram is 5) and need connection. Even if it has to be via internet.

~ The one ENFJ I know and the handful of ESFJ's I know (All Fe doms, y'know) aren't crazy-outgoing-party-goers, though :)

~ I also think the fact that you want connection with others (strangers, etc.) reflects a preference for Extroversion.

~ Don't place too much emphasis on type descriptions. I thought I was an INFJ for the longest time solely because I felt so deep a connection with it.

~ Lastly - Extroverts tend to process their thoughts verbally whereas Introverts tend to utilize the written word to best get their points across.
^Sounds like an Extrovert who is more articulate in real life to me :)

Anyway--welcome to PerC! I'm thoroughly impressed, too; it's rare to see "newbies" so well-versed in cognitive functions already :) You'll go far kid

EDIT: I don't know
whyI kept capitalizing introvert and extrovert like they were some profound schools of thought or ideology. Or a religion...

·
Registered
820 Posts
Most probably extroverted. Shyness has little to do with introversion.

Reactions: Fern

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While reading why you're definitely extroverted I couldn't help but smile as I totally do those things too haha.
The part about pacing the floor and talking to yourself particularly hit home with me =')
I remember the first time I was truly alone in my house. My family were on holiday but I chose to stay home because I was seeing someone and had spoken to her about staying at mine with me while my family were on holiday.
Turns out we fell out the day before they were going on holiday so now I was alone in my house for around a week with no plans and no one to talk to (other than internet I guess).
Literally within the first few hours I was realizing how horrific this was going to be. Luckily my 2 best mates live up the road from me and they came down everyday to hang out and play rockband.

When I think back I think I can remember when I really started to become "un-outgoing". I was in a relationship with someone and we saw each other everyday for like the whole day. That wasn't the problem though, 'cause I loved spending everyday with her (to some extent). The problem I think is that it meant I stopped seeing anyone else. I didn't go out with my mates anymore and I only left the house to go to hers or to walk her to mine.

Aaaaand I've rambled and told everyone my life story. I cant help it so I'm sorry aha.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Introversion/Extroversion have nothing to do with whether you are/have intelligent/intellectual hobbies or not. Neither is it about shyness. Introversion and extroversion are about how you recharge. If you feel ''drained'' when being alone then you are an extrovert. If you feel ''drained'' when being around people then you are an introvert.

·
Banned
201 Posts

Questions:
yes a film would.

dont try to take the types as gods word. it's more of an outline as to which you have the most parallels.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Shyness has little to do with introversion.
Introversion/Extroversion have nothing to do with whether you are/have intelligent/intellectual hobbies or not. Neither is it about shyness. Introversion and extroversion are about how you recharge. If you feel ''drained'' when being alone then you are an extrovert. If you feel ''drained'' when being around people then you are an introvert.
In case anyone's interested, here's what Jung thought:

Jung said:
[Extraverts and introverts] are so different and present such a striking contrast that their existence becomes quite obvious even to the layman once it has been pointed out. Everyone knows those reserved, inscrutable, rather shy people who form the strongest possible contrast to the open, sociable, jovial, or at least friendly and approachable characters who are on good terms with everybody, or quarrel with everybody, but always relate to them in some way and in turn are affected by them.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'm an extravert but I'm very reserved. It might be my culture, though quite a lot of people around me are more 'extraverted' socially than I am. Definitely not the typical American sorority girl who can no longer add facebook friends since they reached the limit and goes to a party every other day. However, I enjoy the company of others. I just like being in their presence. I 100% agree with the thing about getting ideas from external sources. Often the first spark comes from somewhere outside of me and I have to read about it / talk it out / watch documentaries etc before my mind is made up. I can't rationalise it internally (or at least, not very coherently).

I'd say if you put me in a mixed group of extraverts and introverts I'd be noticeably quieter than a lot of the extraverts but domineering around the introverts. Even though I'd be quiet compared to other extraverts I'd say I fit in better with them. They can easily persuade me to their noisy, reckless ways whereas I go crazy if in a group of introverts for too long.

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
As far as my definition of extroversion is concerned. I believe it has little to due with how "charged" you are with people. I personally say that it's more about self-referencing versus referencing what is out there in the beyond. An introvert will psychologically reference their opinion and experiences as being more relevant to how the person justify their actions. Unlike the extrovert, who will focus their attentions to the outside world, and view themselves as mere objects towards the grand scheme of things. Extroversion and Introversion in this sense is how you focus your ego desires. Also you sound like a Fe dom which is a EFJ.

I am more charged by people than I am not actually. It's fairly refreshing to actually talk to people about things.

Reactions: Wolls

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
@reckful my best friend is definitely an ESFJ and she considers herself shy. Of course, in reality, that looks quite different from a shy introvert. When she's around new people she'll stand around awkwardly and roll her eyes, but as soon as someone talks to her she'll chat as if she'd known them for 20 years. It takes her only a few minutes to get to this stage, but those few minutes cause her great agony.
She also thinks that she will never get to know a new boyfriend or even new aquaintances/friends because of her "stupid ways". In reality, she gets to know people all the time, but to her it doesn't seem that way. Also, she isn't very open about her feelings and keeps everything bottled up.
My brother is an ENTP and as a child and teenager he'd never initiate contact with anyone. He'd just stand in a corner and blush and I (the antisocial INTJ) had to drag him around to meet up with my friends.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
@FlaviaGemina

I like to point out that Jung very much associated extraversion/introversion with shyness and sociability because it's so common to encounter posts in the Great Internet Forum Echo Chamber where the poster harrumphs that, notwithstanding what Myers and Keirsey and Thomson and Berens and Kagan and Big Five psychologists and, well, just about every other silly modern psychologist who's focused on introversion might say, extraversion and introversion have nothing (or little) to do with shyness/sociability. And in my experience, the people who make posts like that very often think they're part of some kind of back-to-Jung movement, and that the shyness/sociability stuff is a product of Myers and others distorting the old master's more profound perspectives on human psychology.

Temperament is not behavior, nor is it anything like the whole of personality. Like all the MBTI preferences, extraversion and introversion make certain typical contributions to personality characteristics that are also affected by many other possible factors. And shyness, for example, besides being affected by a person's level of introversion and non-temperamental factors, can also be significantly affected by where they fall on the Big Five dimension (neuroticism) that doesn't really have a corresponding MBTI dimension.

It's also worth noting that Jung himself thought that more people were essentially in the middle on E/I than were significantly extraverted or introverted, and there's a lot of Big Five and other data that suggests that E/I is a continuum with most people not far from the middle. When many people think of a "shy" person, they're not unlikely to be picturing someone in, say, the shyest 10% or 20% of the population (and quite possibly someone with relatively high neuroticism and/or a social anxiety disorder or other issues that fall outside the MBTI and Big Five dimensions) — whereas introverts, in MBTI terms, make up something more like half the population, including many people whose introversion is relatively mild, and whose hunger for social interaction (to take one facet of sociability) is likely to also be affected by, among other things, their T/F preference.

So it no more makes sense to say that introversion is shyness, or to expect all introverts to be people who are generally considered shy, than it makes sense to try to tie any of the MBTI or Big Five dimensions too closely to specific behavioral results. But, on the other hand, the view that E/I has little or nothing to do with shyness/sociability is no more consistent with Jung than it is with the MBTI or Big Five.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so when I take this cognitive function test I get given 3 options regardless of whether I say I think of myself as introverted or extroverted. I'm highly ambiverted btw. I took the big 5 personality test twice and both times scored around 50% on extroversion (first time 53% which puts me 3% more extrovert, second time 48% extrovert which puts me 2% more introvert).

ANYWAY... the 3 options it gives me as "likely" are ENTP, ESFJ or INTP. Like I said, at the end of the test it asks you whether you'd consider yourself more introvert or extrovert. No matter what I choose it tells me the type MOST likely is an extrovert type.
If I say I think I'm more introverted it gives me ESFJ then INTP and then ENTP in order of most likely to last.
If I say extroverted it gives me ENTP, ESFJ, INTP.

Also changing my answer on introvert or extrovert gives me a different dominant function although my top 4 most used functions remain (in no order) Ne, Fe, Ti, Te.
Out of all the functions the only functions that change places are Ne or Fe.

After reading the ESFJ type description it's so clearly me.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help =D
I don't know how to "thank" people but if someone tells me I'll make sure I thank everyone =)

·
Registered
820 Posts
In case anyone's interested, here's what Jung thought:
Jung seems to be saying there that introverts appear shy, rather than actually being. There is more than likely a correlation between shyness and introversion, but being shy in itself, I believe anyway, has little to do with introversion. It comes from various factors.

Reactions: Wolls

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Jung seems to be saying there that introverts appear shy, rather than actually being.
I'm not sure where you're getting that impression but, FYI — and I'm not unreservedly endorsing this view by any means — Jung believed that an introvert's essential discomfort and fear of the external world (and other people in particular) went all the way to the introvert's core. As Jung explained:

Jung said:
Worringer's conception of abstraction ... corresponds to the introverted attitude. It is significant that Worringer describes the influence of the object as fear or dread. ... The [introvert] finds himself in a frighteningly animated world that seeks to overpower and smother him. ... For the [introvert,] the world is filled with potent and dangerous objects that inspire him with fear and a consciousness of his own impotence; he withdraws from any too intimate contact with the world, in order to weave those thoughts and formulas with which he hopes to gain the upper hand. His psychology, therefore, is that of the under-dog, whereas the [extravert] faces the world with confidence.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hosker said:
Jung seems to be saying there that introverts appear shy, rather than actually being. There is more than likely a correlation between shyness and introversion, but being shy in itself, I believe anyway, has little to do with introversion. It comes from various factors.
I'm not sure where you're getting that impression but, FYI — and I'm not unreservedly endorsing this view by any means — Jung believed that an introvert's essential discomfort and fear of the external world (and other people in particular) went all the way to the introvert's core
To get even more vague, and I am unsure but think ( prolly sure?) Jung defined all introverts as resultants (sic unhealthy) of ( some form of) trauma, which is to say that Jung presupposes that naturally we are all meant to be / are born as extroverts of some form.

Then again I tend to see Jung as being socially influenced and culturally biased. ( TBH I have trouble seeing a single person who wasn't socially influenced and culturally biased) .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts