Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I am, but I do not know for sure. Here's some things about me.

1. I am inside my mind all the time. In class, I daydream about the future. I easily lose track of time. Sometimes, I will also reflect on past conversations.

2. I am interested in technology and love playing video games.

3. I am only interested in long-term relationships, not one night stands or FWB.

4. I do not like to approach people unless I am comfortable with them.

5. I can easily read people and tell whether I should stay away from them or not.

6. I like music without lyrics and what other people may consider sad. I think this is because I can "relate" to the music.

7. I hate doing English essays. I'm good at thinking about things in my mind, but I always have trouble getting it down on paper.

8. I like helping people, even when they don't ask for it. Some people just straight out say, "I didn't ask for your help."

9. Sometimes, I come up with answers, but do not know what led me to think that. Most of the time, it is correct though.

10. I have strong values that I hold onto closely. Some of these include no illicit drugs, no sex until at least 18 (though I probably will go past this a bit), and don't be mean to people who don't deserve it and aren't annoying.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Rolling exclusively with stereotypes, there's a couple of things that suggest no.

#6 suggests either Si or Fi - Si in that you're attracted to your own subjective impressions of the music, Fi in that you're valuing the music as being 'good' or 'bad' according to your own inner mental state. Who knows?

#7 is a really bit of a stand-out - INFJs vastly prefer written communication - it's kind of an INxx 'thing', I've noticed - but getting things out of their heads and onto paper is definitely something that the stereotypes suggest as an INFJ strength. Though to be fair, this could simply be a general preference of introverts - makes the most sense to me, this way, anyway.

#10 is clearly Fi.

I'd like to note that the stereotypes are ridiculous, though, and not to be trusted - most of what you've mentioned are simply traits of introversion.

I'm curious as to #8 - what is it about helping people, that you like?

According to the official mbti statistics, INFJs are 4% of the Asian population - more common than INTPs and ESTPs, and basically all of the types are relatively evenly split - for example, ENTP, ESFP, INTJ, ENFJ, ISFP, ISTP and ENTJ are all between 4-5% of the Asian population, each - so the probability of being an INFJ, if you're Asian, is higher than that of the Caucasian population - where the probability of being an INFJ is 2.8%.

I included that part, in case you were hesitant of being an INFJ due to it being a rare type - I just get that vibe from the thread - and I want to say, don't be hesitant, it's not uncommon if you're Asian.

Most of what you've said is likely easy to relate to for practically all kinds of introverts across the board, I would imagine.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I see nothing that speaks against INFJ but there's really not enough information to be sure. I can see this being consistent with all sorts of types.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rolling exclusively with stereotypes, there's a couple of things that suggest no.

#6 suggests either Si or Fi - Si in that you're attracted to your own subjective impressions of the music, Fi in that you're valuing the music as being 'good' or 'bad' according to your own inner mental state. Who knows?

#7 is a really bit of a stand-out - INFJs vastly prefer written communication - it's kind of an INxx 'thing', I've noticed - but getting things out of their heads and onto paper is definitely something that the stereotypes suggest as an INFJ strength. Though to be fair, this could simply be a general preference of introverts - makes the most sense to me, this way, anyway.

#10 is clearly Fi.

I'd like to note that the stereotypes are ridiculous, though, and not to be trusted - most of what you've mentioned are simply traits of introversion.

I'm curious as to #8 - what is it about helping people, that you like?

According to the official mbti statistics, INFJs are 4% of the Asian population - more common than INTPs and ESTPs, and basically all of the types are relatively evenly split - for example, ENTP, ESFP, INTJ, ENFJ, ISFP, ISTP and ENTJ are all between 4-5% of the Asian population, each - so the probability of being an INFJ, if you're Asian, is higher than that of the Caucasian population - where the probability of being an INFJ is 2.8%.

I included that part, in case you were hesitant of being an INFJ due to it being a rare type - I just get that vibe from the thread - and I want to say, don't be hesitant, it's not uncommon if you're Asian.

Most of what you've said is likely easy to relate to for practically all kinds of introverts across the board, I would imagine.
Thanks for the reply. I actually am Asian.

I noticed that I had a rather high Fi according to a test I took. imgur.com/M4sXmI4 (Forum won't let me post a real link) The test still said I was an INFJ though.

I'm not that interested in music, but if I am listening to it, I would be listening to music others consider being sad.

I don't exactly know why I like to help people, but I think it's just because I feel good about it. I also don't like to see things which are clearly wrong and I can help fix, so I guess guilt also plays into this.

·
Registered
381 Posts
A lot of what you mentioned applies to me, as an INFP. These two types are extremely similar in terms of values, interests, etc., but the cognitive functions are different. I am good at reading people as well (people think that only applies to Fe users), but only in terms of analyzing them and feeling their emotions, but not when it comes to acting upon it. I find that it is far beyond behavior, because behavior can lead you into two opposite possibilities, rather than lead to the correct one. You really must look at the cognitive functions.

1) Do you internalize your own emotions and analyze them, as well as other people's, and take awhile sorting through that process, before ever going into the external? (I know that's a strangely worded question)

2) Do you struggle to verbally execute your thoughts, but would like to better, or are you more interested in seeking to be better at being aware of the present moment and the environment around you?

3) Do you often feel like you are too perfectionistic in relationships, constantly putting all of the effort forth, and feeling almost burned out at times because of it?

4) Are you good at formulating possible ideas, that you know are not grounded in reality, or is it less about the process and more about seeking the one true possibility?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A lot of what you mentioned applies to me, as an INFP. These two types are extremely similar in terms of values, interests, etc., but the cognitive functions are different. I am good at reading people as well (people think that only applies to Fe users), but only in terms of analyzing them and feeling their emotions, but not when it comes to acting upon it. I find that it is far beyond behavior, because behavior can lead you into two opposite possibilities, rather than lead to the correct one. You really must look at the cognitive functions.

1) Do you internalize your own emotions and analyze them, as well as other people's, and take awhile sorting through that process, before ever going into the external? (I know that's a strangely worded question)

2) Do you struggle to verbally execute your thoughts, but would like to better, or are you more interested in seeking to be better at being aware of the present moment and the environment around you?

3) Do you often feel like you are too perfectionistic in relationships, constantly putting all of the effort forth, and feeling almost burned out at times because of it?

4) Are you good at formulating possible ideas, that you know are not grounded in reality, or is it less about the process and more about seeking the one true possibility?
I just took a quiz differentiating between INFJs and INFPs and it said I was an INFJ. imgur.com/a/ThWd9

1. I think about my own emotions occasionally, however, I do not usually share them. With other people's emotions, I sometimes analyze them for what they're thinking and how to solve the problem. And, no I do not find that question weirdly worded. It oddly makes perfect sense.

2. I keep my thoughts internal and rarely share them out unless I am comfortable with the person I am speaking to. I only am in the "present moment" when something needs my full attention or I am in yoga class, however, I have a tendency to zone out and think about other things.

3. I do analyze relationships a lot, however, I do not feel like I am too perfectionistic in relationships.

4. The former.

Is it possible that I am a blend of the J and P, or do my responses lean toward J or P more? I took a quiz which told me that I had "excellent use" in both Introverted Intuition and Introverted Feeling. Results: imgur.com/M4sXmI4

Sorry about not being able to post links properly. Apparently, I need 15 posts or more to do so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
One more thing I thought was worth noting. I am more direct when I am talking, so I will tell people to do things directly rather than simply informing people. I am also very future-oriented and like following a schedule in some cases. There are a lot of cases where I do not like using a schedule though. I tend to be early or on-time rather than late. Being late to something stresses me out.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
@TheAsian EggrollMaker

What determines J vs P is whether you use FiNe or NiFe. It's nothing to do with organisation.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I agree that INFP's can be just as good, and sometimes even better at reading people. INFP's are great listeners. They listen intently to people and weigh both their actual words and their nonverbal communications in finding out what makes them tick. The interesting thing about Fi is that it really studies people and is really interested in them. The big difference with Fe is that Fi sees this observation as independent from its own moral code, while Fe is constantly trying to integrate other people's moral codes instead. More specifically: Fe is interested in acting in a way that is socially acceptable to the current company while Fi is interested in keepin its own values safe.

Both INFJ's and INFP's are very interested in other people and what makes them tick. Both love to help people and may even say the exact same things to them to try and get them to be better people. A big difference is that Fe observes social things in an objective, non-emotional way. Fe-users will analyze social things until there's nothing human left in it. Fi-users will view these issues through their personal lens and find the thought of de-humanizing social issues problematic.

Questions to ask yourself if you want to know if you're INFP or INFJ:

- If you listen to someone else, do you feel like you can really empathize with them? As if you're actually in their shoes? Fi-users use their entire brain when listening intently to someone, including visuals, ethics and logic. If that's the case, you might be INFP
- Do you often find yourself abstracting social issues away from emotional concerns? Things like political parties, death penalty, poverty, stuff like that? If you do, you might be INFJ.
- Do you find your mind often returning to the same problems you're solving? Ni-users will often spend years working on a single problem, like a story they want to write or a friendship that's developing. If you do, you might be INFJ
- Do you find your mind often makes jumps from one context to another? Ne-users will often use trans-contextual thinking to solve problems. They will go from designing a chair, to their favourite artist, to 42 in one second when asked what their favourite color is. If that's how your mind works, you might be INFP.

And that's only for these two types. Types can act very similar and a lot of tests don't account for things like that. An older ISFP might act similar to a younger INFJ for example. A creative ISFJ might come off as INFJ or even ENTP!
Try to find out which functions your brain uses most and that might be a good starting point for getting to your actual type.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Drecon

Thanks for the reply.

It really depends who I am with. For some people, specifically ones I do not know very well, I use what you described as Fe. However for those that I do know well, I seem to use what you have described as Fi.

I do listen to what a person has to say. If they are telling me something personal in their life and need help, I will help them. I listen intently, however my mind does occasionally drift off.

I hate leaving things unsolved and will return to the same problem if it is unsolved.

It seems like a little bit of both, but slightly more INFJ.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Ni and Fe is what determines whether you're INFJ or not.
That said, it is a much better approach to discover your dominant and inferior functions first, in order to figure out your type.

@TheAsian EggrollMaker: Focus on the cognitive functions rather than on whether you are a "P" or a "J".

·
Registered
3,902 Posts

That said, it is a much better approach to discover your dominant and inferior functions first, in order to figure out your type.

@TheAsian EggrollMaker: Focus on the cognitive functions rather than on whether you are a "P" or a "J".
That's exactly what I did, funnily enough. Much easier to figure it out that way. GOOD advice

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
That's exactly what I did, funnily enough. Much easier to figure it out that way. GOOD advice
Me too. Though I haven't reached a conclusion yet — Almost there, though. So close.

One thing I want to recommend as an extra: Do not dismiss a function just because it seems unlikely, unfitting. Look for different interpretations, or for how users of the function describe it, before dismissing it. I committed the very stupid mistake of dismissing Si at first, but turns out it is very likely my dominant function. In my defense, the most common Si descriptions are full of nonsense.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts

Me too. Though I haven't reached a conclusion yet — Almost there, though. So close.

One thing I want to recommend as an extra: Do not dismiss a function just because it seems unlikely, unfitting. Look for different interpretations, or for how users of the function describe it, before dismissing it. I committed the very stupid mistake of dismissing Si at first, but turns out it is very likely my dominant function. In my defense, the most common Si descriptions are full of nonsense.
Si is basic memories tho
:Rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts