Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of all of the cognitive functions the one that I related to the most was Fi. I have problems with people thinking that I'm upset when I'm not. For example, my professor from last semester asked me at least four times if I was angry or sad but I wasn't. I knew about the mbti since I was in high school and I also read about the functions but I got really confused and jumped between so many types. But I guess since I can only feel sorry for people and not actually know how they're feeling that indicates that I have Fi and Te. So that narrows it down to XXTJ or XXFP. Also, sometimes when I talk to people and something is going on I might say "remember when..." I don't do this all the time, only when I see something that reminds me of something that was interesting/funny. So does that mean I have Si? And I think I am an introvert but my parents told me that when I was a kid I was really extroverted and as I grew older I kept to myself more due to moving a lot. I've also been through a lot of damaging shit in my childhood that affected me a lot and how I view myself. Because of that I have a really hard time actually knowing what type I am because I always wonder how I would be like if I didn't go through certain things as a kid. I think I'm an XNFP but I feel like I might have bias and I'm telling myself this because it might be who I want to be. I'm worried that I'm actually and SJ and I'm just lying to myself idk...

·
Registered
INFP(?) 9w1 sp/sx ♀
1,195 Posts
I really can't tell from the description. You sound very much like an INFP, but I have something in case you are doubting it. This is derived from something I once saw somewhere, but if you can say which one you relate to most, it may give you an idea. This is all Fi and Te types. Granted, it only takes the dominant and auxiliary functions into account, but here it is:

Are you guided by what is right and wrong through the exploration of endless possibilities? (INFP)

Do you explore endless possibilities through consulting your sense of right and wrong along the way? (ENFP)

Are you guided by what is right and wrong through living in the current moment? (ISFP)

Do you live in the present through consulting your sense of right and wrong along the way? (ESFP)

Do you live by trusting your experience through striving for efficiency along the way? (ISTJ)

Do you attempt to create efficiency through trusting your experience? (ESTJ)

Do you seek an ultimate truth from many possibilities through striving for efficiency along the way? (INTJ)

Do you attempt to create efficiency through seeking an ultimate truth from many possibilities? (ENTJ)

I really have no idea how accurate this is, as it just determines dominant and auxiliary functions, so it doesn't take the other two functions and especially looping into account, but I remember seeing something like it. Maybe it will help? I've questioned my own type a lot, so I totally understand. But after a while, I realized that I was truly an INFP (otherwise, I had to be ISTJ, but I was just looping at the time, and my Te is far too weak). And you're not lying to yourself if you are SJ, you're still discovering yourself, and that's a fact to be proud of :tongue:

Hope this helps a bit! Also, PerC has a good cognitive functions test, I believe, if you want to see what that says.

Reactions: Aelthwyn and ama41

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,252 Posts
But I guess since I can only feel sorry for people and not actually know how they're feeling that indicates that I have Fi and Te.
I don't believe this is a good description or indication of Fi. At least in my own experience with FPs, I find us to be quite perceptive of other's feelings, able to understand the 'essence' of various emotions even if we have not gone through the exact same thing as another person, or would not personally respond to that situation in the same way. I feel like FPs do 'get' other people's feelings and can feel with them, sharing in their joy or sorrow or anger, I feel like we can take it into ourselves. At least I certainly feel like my NFP and SFP friends are capable of feeling with me (they appear to accurately reflect how I'm feeling and get energized or riled up or subdued along with me), and personally I can't help 'catching' their feelings when around them. I can identify that the feeling is coming from them, but I still feel it, not just comprehend it.

I do think introverts can often look upset or depressed to others when they're just focused on their inner thoughts and not projecting outwards, but I'm not really convinced that this has a clear connection with having Fi instead of Fe, especially if someone is Ti first.

And I do think that people with Si (both SJs and NPs) seem a little more likely to share memory stories, to be reminded of those things more often, but that's of course not to say that Se-Ni people don't also do that, just possibly with less frequency.

All of that is not to say that I don't think you could be an INFP though. I can't say I feel any particular impression from what you wrote here. Sorry this is not a very helpful response, probably not really what you're looking for.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do get a sense of what people are feeling and I can tell if someone is upset or doesn't like what I said or what someone else did. But I assumed that I have introverted feeling because when extroverted feelers say that they can feel other people's emotions I don't relate to that. Idk when I read about the cognitive functions it's hard for me to know which ones I actually have because I over-analyze everything I do...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts