Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, hello, I'm new here, and a bit confused... Ehem, well let me start. I've gotten INTP as my personality type twice. I only did two (different) tests since there are a lot of questions, and I'm lazy af.
The thing is, I admire this personality type, so I've been wondering if maybe I've reflected my personal underlying desires of being an intellectual person into my test answers. I didn't lie, but perhaps I'm blinded by desire?
I'm very self-conscious about my intelligence, here's what I wrote a month ago, before learning all about these personality categories. (Sorry for my English, I've been living in Spain for 8 years)

I'm not smart and I hate it. Sure, with preserverance you can obtain a pretty good amount of knowledge, but there is no denying that genetics play a big role in basic abilities, If some people are prodigies, there must be people who are the opposite. Now, that's not me, but I have a solid understanding of my self, and I am not clever nor smart, I'm falling off average, grabbing on to it dearly.
The worst part of it all is that i'm aware, I'm aware that there are things that I will never truly understand, there are things I'll never be fluid at.
I've always considered my existance beneficial because of relativity. Darkness must exist if there is light, loosers must exist if there are winners, if not, we'd all be equal and nobody would stand out, and we all know that's not true. I serve a purpose, the purpose of making others shine by comparison, even though it sounds horrible it's true. We are, after all, wired to compare ourselves to others.
I'm aware we all excede at something, I was the best writer at my grade last year and I can draw better than the average teen, we all have strong points, I just wish I had intelligence.
I wish I could solve problems with ease, I am severely bad at Mathamatics, I've been taking extra classes for 8 years and I haven't passed a test on that subject for 5 years. It's how I'm made, I'd have to put a ridiculous amount of time on it to get a passing grade, unfortunatly, I've got 10 other subjects to worry about (and since I'm the master of procrastination they aren't going well either). Not being good at resolving problems for me is one of the biggest hits towards my self-esteem regarding this lack of intellegence issue, I mean, not being able to use logic is a very big warning sign for me.
But that's not the only thing, I'm aware that you can be intelligent and not that great at Mathematics. I'm slow at things, I go slow and safe, It saves me errors but normally people can get those results faster. It's hard for me to grasp some concepts or plans. I can't quite explain it...
I wish I had good hand-eye cordination, we calculate our every move, when something is heading towards us and we grab it, it's a product of our brain's calculations. So obviously when I strugle with grabbing even a miserable pen being thrown at me at a slow rate, I know something isn't right. Not even subconsciounsly can I preform correct mathematical calculations.
I wish I could defend my theories or information I comment about, everytime I try to present the facts, people always destroy them with theirs, a lot of times they don't convince me, but I simply do not know how to defend my statements, I can't come up with arguments on the spot, so they leave victoriously, with an ego boost as always. This is partially what I meant when I said my existence was beneficial in terms of relativity. Also, I could categorize this into not being clever, since I am basically saying I don't know ''comebacks'', I'm not witty.
I'm not sure if this is entirely why, but I feel like I'm accepted into society and not marginalized because:
1) The whole relativity, ego boost thing.
2) Selflessness, kindness, shyness and moral support. I'm percieved, and am, your typical good hearted girl, who will try to help with your emotional problems (try, not saying I'm good) also, I have a sense of humour (or atleast I like to think so) and I'm slightly intuitive.
3) Innocence. Physically, I look younger than I am and have almost all of the possible baby features and almost adult can have. I believe this brings up a sense of protectiveness towards me.
If I try to state something insightful, I 90% of times feel like I'm being pushed ''back to my place'' per say. Let me explain. Remember what I said about not being able to defend my thoughts? I feel like whenever I even try, I get all these comments trying to ''debunk'' what I just said. Either I'm always wrong or that's how I'm percieved. The cute pet who is never right, who's there to be funny and oblivious, to boost your ego.
Maybe I'm seeing things, maybe it's just me. I feel strange, most teenage girls are having body issues, I'm here tormenting myself over my mind. (Although I also have some body issues, still a teen after all).
I want to learn about anthropology, phsychology, phsycoanalysis and neuroscience (also literature and drawing). I want to learn why humans act like we do, if it's a pattern, how to stop, etc. And this leads me towards all these thoughts. What if I can't deffend all that I've learned?
I wish I could live thinking I was smart, being a happy conformist and not knowing the greater possiblities. Now I understand why ignorance is bliss.

·
Registered
793 Posts
After the first 6 or so lines I'm sold, your INTP too. :laughing:
Maybe you're not super intelligent and your IQ is below 110 or something, maybe your grades are ridiculous or something like that.

But your phrasing, your choice of words, your description through "laziness", "kindness" and "intelligence" pretty much is INTP.

You're INTP my dear. Also Don't listen to me, best advice is above ^ read his recommendation and check with yourself

·
Registered
341 Posts
What do you think about this description?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Probably not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
That's the most INTP thing I've ever read. I'm still in school too, and I don't get too good grades. Normally I'd mostly get B's with a few A's thrown in and a couple of C's. And on my bad days, expect what I said before except replace B's with D's and A's with F's. I've been wondering whether or not I'm really an INTP also. Oh yeah, when I was younger I always felt inferior to my sister (ISTJ) because she would get all the prizes and awards and credit while I was just there. All the adults loved her. They liked me too, just they seemed to prefer my sister. But the thing is, whenever I try to talk about things like religion and politics, she would just say things to me like: "Hey, can you talk about this later? I don't wanna listen to you talk about all these things this late. Go to bed." My sister also always got attention from the kids around the school and has a lot more friends than me, but I don't really care 'cause I'm fine being by myself.

Reactions: starwars

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
If you are confused, try reading this
An INTP Profile
I've always thought that at least the first couple sections of that reads as the guidelines for an ideal man. It's what everyone should strive for INTP or not.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
What do you think about this description?
Being a part of the Diplomat (NF) personality group, INFPs are guided by their principles, rather than by logic (Analysts), excitement (Explorers), or practicality (Sentinels). When deciding how to move forward, they will look to honor, beauty, morality and virtue - INFPs are led by the purity of their intent, not rewards and punishments.
ALL of this stuff is derived from reason and logic (it's not independent and could not even exist apart from it). In fact, I'll go as far as to say all of these things are the REASON that an INTP uses reason so that he can learn what is true to do what is right.

·
Registered
341 Posts
ALL of this stuff is derived from reason and logic (it's not independent and could not even exist apart from it). In fact, I'll go as far as to say all of these things are the REASON that an INTP uses reason so that he can learn what is true to do what is right.
Please refrain from using the word 'logic'. You do not have a clue what it means.

I merely asked the person what they thought of the INFP MBTI description. If she doesn't think it fits, then I was wrong and that's all there is to it.

Reactions: JustMe

·
Registered
793 Posts
@Sequence please refrain from prompting others of acting as you please them to do.
If we're supposed to accept your presence and perspectives and this is why I find you frustating.
You seem to accept only for others to see your perspective, but without even for a second accepting their perspectives.
If we are to refrain from using the word 'logic', than why aren't you to refrain from manipulating?

I also should add for Ms. @Ragtail.
Please take do take the advice from mr. @SilverFalcon.
After reflecting upon my first words I do see that his advice is much better than my hasty conclusion

·
Registered
810 Posts
Since, well I am somewhat lazy, I read part of it. :rolleyes:
Something to help you with, are some youtube videos. My favorite youtuber for this type of talk is DaveSuperPowers.
(Heres a few that may help. For sure watch the INFJ vs INFP. That video talks about all the functions)

He brings out it is very important to know your functions. I realized my Ne and Ti are really close, but more I learn about intp vs entp, I learn toward intp. Because in random, unplanned moments, I act more like intp.
I also felt very dumb and non smart. Friends and family called me blonde, cause not many understood my random thoughts(Ne) and not so trained Ti. Well, actually, they both weren't that trained.
Ok, I gave up and read a bit more. I feel a lot of your pain. I am xNTP, and for the longest time I was really mad at myself for being rude, blunt, stupid(felt like it).....the list goes on.
How do you deal with emotions? INTP's are known to put them in a little box, and avoid it. Also, treat them like a foreign language that needs to be studied. That is SOOO true with me. It also says, they most likely to explode, but I tend to keep to myself. I think cause I have an ESFJ step mom, who I really think has bi polar
Read this
INTP - Chapter 4: Busting the Myth that INTPs are Not Emotional

About being smart. I know you are, just, academic studies/life/career(what do I call it?) made me feel really dumb because I don't pay attention to the details. My best friend, ESFP, and my brother, ESTP, both do/did really well in school. It really bothered me, then I realized it is because the pay attention to details(Sensing). I know you are smart, like Einstein said

I personally forced myself for the longest time to be ESFx, but thanks to MBTI, I learned why it was so hard and unsuccessful. Cause my smartness is in different areas
OK Imma stop there. Hoped I helped :)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I've always thought that at least the first couple sections of that reads as the guidelines for an ideal man. It's what everyone should strive for INTP or not.
Maybe from a classical sense applied towards humankind as a whole, but where I live I can say that society doesn't even come close to valuing this ideal for men or women. But yes, I suppose everyone should value it, just in the same way that every type should eventually learn to adapt and apply the thinking of every type to themselves. Even though we are not inherently comfortable with outward empathy doesn't mean we shouldn't strive towards adopting it. And we should be just as eager to strive towards becoming more aware of our sensory environment and by doing so learn to not only appreciate it, but learn to interact with others through it as well. It's just that this happens link to be what comes to our type most easily.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
How do you deal with emotions? INTP's are known to put them in a little box, and avoid it. Also, treat them like a foreign language that needs to be studied. That is SOOO true with me. It also says, they most likely to explode, but I tend to keep to myself. I think cause I have an ESFJ step mom, who I really think has bi polar
Read this
INTP - Chapter 4: Busting the Myth that INTPs are Not Emotional
Long before I looked into field of psychology I made this introspective distinction for my thinking and feeling process:
Thinking is the rudder/steering wheel (without it you are like unguided missile going where the wind and gravity steer you)
Emotions are powerplant (without you may set the course precisely but will only float in current)

Feelings always drive you towards something or out from it. But if you want to make precise rational analysis, you must shield your mind from those attractions and repulsions. If I am to make decision I shield my feelings usually, I just take dearly hold values as parts of premises.

I will sometimes have to deal with the feelings I blocked later - understanding them, or feeling them deeply through. I wonder if it has something to do with the melancholic (or melancholic-phlegmatic) nature of INTP.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Please refrain from using the word 'logic'. You do not have a clue what it means.

I merely asked the person what they thought of the INFP MBTI description. If she doesn't think it fits, then I was wrong and that's all there is to it.
I know exactly what it means. The art of non-contradictory identification. And if anyone has no clue what they are talking about it's you.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
@joshman108 If "empathy" is uncaused and/or undeserved emotions/feelings for others then they can keep it. The rest is pretty accurate and doesn't conflict in any way with what I said.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts