Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my thinking: I- I know I'm an introvert. S- I am a very practical and inspired by beauty in all its forms. F- I love caring for people and I am really sentimental about those close to me. P- I'm a pretty mild, laid back person and decision making/planning/commitment kind of scare me. So, while the ISFP description seems to suit me pretty well, there are a couple things that don't match up and I'm wondering if it means I'm actually something else. #1 I'm a neat freak. My room/stuff/files are always clean and neat. I find it draining to be in environments/workspaces that are total chaos. #2 I don't get the mood swings that ISFP's are apparently supposed to have? I can be dark at times and take life seriously, but I'm not sure I would call it mood swings because it's not very emotional for me. (If that makes sense :p). Thoughts? If anyone could clarify this for me, you would be my hero!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Read up on what each letter means and compare it to your real life reactions and values and decide from there which letters you relate to more. Not every person of the same type is the same person. You know you're an Introvert. Are you more in the here and now paying attention to what your surroundings are(S), or do you find yourself thinking about connections and abstract ideas more(N)? Do you attach "right and wrong"(F) or "logical and practical"(T) to your decisions? Do you tend to be a laid back and go with the flow non-committal type of person(P) or do you like things decided and stable, preferring to work before you play(J)?

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
O_O could be....I turned out to be Ne dom ENFP........wtf....that whole cross contextual thinking nd trying to rebuild the MBTI and socionics into one cohesive system ^^;....ugh.

What I'm trying to say is that you can mistype especially if you are self evaluating. This is especially true of the dominant function, which people tend to be unaware of because it comes naturally and effortlessly. Most people are highly aware of their auxiliary function.

I still wonder if I could be some other type and not ENFP despite being pure ass IEE - ENFp in socionics. Hmm.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Here's my thinking: I- I know I'm an introvert. S- I am a very practical and inspired by beauty in all its forms. F- I love caring for people and I am really sentimental about those close to me.
Here's a question or two... For your S. Are you very much an "in the moment" type, or do you tend to remember things, or look on those memories as holding more weight than the present moment? Put in other words, do you build experiences on each other, or does each experience seem to stand alone--like Calvin and Hobbes, "Live and don't learn--that's us!"?

Second question. Do your feelings tend to be something private, and not to be shared, or do you prefer to share emotions and beliefs, and through that, you gain value or a sense of belonging? Do other's expressions of values/feelings/emotions drain you or charge you (whether good or bad)?

I suspect that if you can answer these definitively, you may be able to choose between ISFP or ISFJ. :) I had a coworker for many years who was an ISFJ, and is so many ways we were so much alike, but at the same time, we always felt like opposites, and that each others strengths filled in the gaps in the other's weaknesses. But we definitely felt an affinity, so I can see the confusion, if you are an ISFP or ISFJ.

Of course, you could also be an extrovert, which changes things yet again, but let's get the SFJ vs SFP solved first. :)

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
O_O could be....I turned out to be Ne dom ENFP........wtf....that whole cross contextual thinking nd trying to rebuild the MBTI and socionics into one cohesive system ^^;....ugh.

What I'm trying to say is that you can mistype especially if you are self evaluating. This is especially true of the dominant function, which people tend to be unaware of because it comes naturally and effortlessly. Most people are highly aware of their auxiliary function.

I still wonder if I could be some other type and not ENFP despite being pure****IEE - ENFp in socionics. Hmm.
So, you don't see yourself as INFP? I can see your Ne argument, but what about Se? How do you see your Si? (Just curious--but maybe you could make this a separate thread, or if you did talk about this somewhere, can you provide a link?)

·
Registered
891 Posts
I suspect that if you can answer these definitively, you may be able to choose between ISFP or ISFJ. :) I had a coworker for many years who was an ISFJ, and is so many ways we were so much alike, but at the same time, we always felt like opposites, and that each others strengths filled in the gaps in the other's weaknesses. But we definitely felt an affinity, so I can see the confusion, if you are an ISFP or ISFJ.
Don't choose ISFJ! They're so very boring! (Sorry, a stereotype, I know)

Reactions: .Tempest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ferroequinologist
I think I am definitely an in the moment type. I love to "stop and smell the flowers" and have difficulty thinking about the future. Yes, and I think each experience stands alone for me... I live for beautiful experiences!

This second question is a little bit harder for me to answer... I wouldn't say that I wear my heart on my sleeve, but I always just attribute that to being introverted?

Haha that's interesting! And I am pretty certain I'm not an extrovert... It's pretty obvious for me! :)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Looking at the type based upon face value won't help all too much because while you may claim or relate to sensory attributes, there's the underline question of whether you relate more to extroverted sensing (Se) or introverted sensing (Si). Likewise with feeling preference and whether or not you relate more to Fe or Fi.

I had the struggle of determining whether or not I was ISFJ or ISFP when I first stumbled upon MBTI because I could relate with Si (sensor function of ISFJ), more than Se (sensor function of ISFP), but after realising that I couldn't relate to Fe at all (ISFJ), and coming to terms that I'm a Fi dom, I concluded that I was ISFP.

I'd suggest reading upon functions and how they relate to either personality type and which fits you best. Considering you mention being an "in the moment type" that resonates as more Se than Si to me.

In all fair chances you're likely ISFP.

Reactions: .Tempest.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
@ferroequinologist
I think I am definitely an in the moment type. I love to "stop and smell the flowers" and have difficulty thinking about the future. Yes, and I think each experience stands alone for me... I live for beautiful experiences!
I'd guess Se, then...

This second question is a little bit harder for me to answer... I wouldn't say that I wear my heart on my sleeve, but I always just attribute that to being introverted?

Haha that's interesting! And I am pretty certain I'm not an extrovert... It's pretty obvious for me! :)
Ok... here's another way to put "feeling". Do you feel that your feelings and values separate you from others, or are they a way to bring you together with others? Are your values your own, or do you feel the need to share others' values in order for your values to have meaning? Or maybe, you feel a need for your values to be entirely your own. Even with those closest to you, do you have troubles expressing these feelings/values? Or does it come relatively easily, in a way others easily understand you?

As to the introvert.... well.... I guess that's settled, then. ;-) ... ... ...

...Except, I suppose we should also ask this. Do you feel at this time, that your life is going well, or are you massively stressed out? Are there things in your life that would effect your personality or your responses--stressors, etc? My daughter is an extrovert, but lately, with other teens, she's really been going through the ringer, and feels more like an introvert than extrovert, though, with close friends or family, her need for extroversion asserts itself. ;-) Of course, just to confuse things, I can be quite extroverted with those I feel most comfortable with, but never for long. My daughter's extroversion can quickly push me to the edge, and I need immediate relief when that happens. It confuses her, but she now knows it's my need for solitude and to recharge, so she doesn't get offended or hurt. All these things can be harder to ascertain than we may realize.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@hulia
Ok, I will definitely read up on that more! I didn't know there was more to it than just the four letters :) Is there a website or something you know of that I could look at?

@forroequinologist
So if it seems that I'm an "Se" does that mean I'm more likely an ISFP than an ISFJ because ISFP's tend to be "Se"? I'm new to this, haha!
Hmm, I think that my feelings do tend to connect me with others more. I see it as sort of a balance to my practicality? Still, I don't really feel the need to share values with others... I'm pretty independent that way. And I sort of do have trouble communicating them, although I feel and believe them deeply. Would that mean I am Fi?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@forroequinologist
I see what you are saying as far as becoming an introvert in certain settings under stress... But it's consistent with me and I don't feel repressed when I'm not expressing my opinion or being outgoing. I recharge being alone and large groups tend to exhaust me. I do love people, but I just don't get energy from them like an extrovert would lol. Hope things go well for your daughter btw! Teenagers can be pretty rough sometimes :/

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
@hulia
Ok, I will definitely read up on that more! I didn't know there was more to it than just the four letters :) Is there a website or something you know of that I could look at?

@forroequinologist
So if it seems that I'm an "Se" does that mean I'm more likely an ISFP than an ISFJ because ISFP's tend to be "Se"? I'm new to this, haha!
Hmm, I think that my feelings do tend to connect me with others more. I see it as sort of a balance to my practicality? Still, I don't really feel the need to share values with others... I'm pretty independent that way. And I sort of do have trouble communicating them, although I feel and believe them deeply. Would that mean I am Fi?
You are definitely sounding Fi-Se, which would make you ISFP over ISFJ. I'm concurring with Hulia on this, that this is what you sound like... poor, poor child. ;-) (though, I admit, a female ISFP is easier than being a male ISFP) ;-)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'm definitely an ISFP, but I can be super organized at times. I have a tendency to throw my clothes on the floor and things like that, but I always go back and pick up later. Or like I'll throw a mess of school supplies in my bag, but then my notes are color-coded. So I feel like it kind of depends on the person? I also think the messy part of the ISFP description might have more to do with not enjoying mundane tasks. Does that fit you? Also, keeping an organized and stable living space can make people feel more in control of their environment, so maybe having an emotional personality or not enjoying change could lend a person to being organized? Also, I don't know if it's so much that ISFPs are expected to have mood swings, rather than that they feel emotions deeply. If someone's having actual mood swings then that's probably called bipolar disorder!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts