Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello out there!

I'm completely new here and shortly want to introduce myself: My name is Kathi, I'm 18 years old and I'm from Vienna, Austria. English is not my native language, therefore please forgive me for making several (horrible) mistakes.
I hope you can understand at least what I'm trying to say :)

Sooo, back to topic! I'm interested in the MBTI test (do you say test after MBTI? I honestly have no idea) for a couple of days now and did several versions of the test. I mostly scored ISTJ, but also INTJ and sometimes even ISFJ.
Perhaps the most interesting result for you guys to analyze is this one here:

Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) *********************** (23.9)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ***************************************** (41.3)
excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************** (30.1)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************** (22.7)
limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************************** (29)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ****************************** (30.9)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************** (26)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************ (36.1)
excellent use

It's from Keys 2 Cognition. I don't really understand everything about the whole Se/Si/... etc. stuff, but of course I have did some research so I know what's it mainly about.
But I'm faaaar away from being an expert: so if anyone cold help me to analyze this result, I'd be really grateful!

The thing is, I don't really feel like a true ISTJ. Partly I do, but there are some things I can't relate to.
I don't believe that strictly in laws and traditions, safety is so not my priority, I don't set much value on punctuality, I'm pretty chaotic, I really have a bad memory (especially when it comes to my photographic memory), I don't remember a lot of facts and I don't like working with data. I do organize a bit and make a plan (in my head...I never write anything down, I don't even have a calendar) but I don't really keep to it (because I'm easily distracted) and I also don't have a great sense of space and function. The more I read about ISTJ, the more points I find that won't fit. I know, there can't be a personality type that fits perfectly, but the main points about ISTJ's are organization, arrangement, punctuality, aren't they? So, yeah, I'm having a bit of a identity crises right now.

Maybe you can help me in any way - thank you in advance!

PS: I've noticed that there are some people who are able (or at least try) to define one's personality type by analyzing the writing style. I don't know if this also applies for non-native speakers, but I'd be interested in your ideas, if you have some :)

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Read some of the descriptions on this page. Maybe have a friend read it with you and help you pick out what seems most like you. From your test results, I would look carefully at INFP, ISFP, and ISFJ, in addition to ISTJ.

And there is no need to apologize for your English - your usage is very good.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have tested as INTJ and ISTJ plus someone suggested many so called INTJs are really ISFPs...so I tried to see if I was ISFP but the shoe did not fit. Now I do see similarities in myself and the ISFP description but not nearly enough for me to be one.

I might veer off on a idea mentally like a FP momentarily but my plan is quite in place and I will make a quick U turn if what I`m doing doesn`t fit well in my plans for the day. I`ll file the thought away in my mental filing cabinet to use it for future referrence later on and get back on track with what I `m supposed to be doing. I also use a pencil in my planner because I like options..not necessarily to make use of them but more like plan a,b,c and d but plan a is where I want to be.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have tested as INTJ and ISTJ plus someone suggested many so called INTJs are really ISFPs...so I tried to see if I was ISFP but the shoe did not fit.
My respectful response to that is: ISTJs are very decisive. If you're having trouble deciding which type you are (regardless of whether that type turns out to be wrong later), you're probably not an ISTJ. Of course, I may be wrong. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
933 Posts
My respectful response to that is: ISTJs are very decisive. If you're having trouble deciding which type you are (regardless of whether that type turns out to be wrong later), you're probably not an ISTJ. Of course, I may be wrong. Just my $0.02.
What you might not have thought of is ISTJs want to be right and when approaching a subject that is new to them and they have not educated themselves enough to make a decision then you bet some searching,digging in piles of information and trying on shoes to see what actually fits will take place.

I`m sure now and if someone tries to steal my ISTJ card...well, let`s just say they better not. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
First I have to thank you for your kind replies :)

In fact, I have informed myself about ISFJ (as said before, I also scored this result) but I'm not quite sure, mainly because I feel like I'm a different person when being with my family and when I'm around my friends.
If you take these two sentences here: "They value harmony and cooperation, and are likely to be very sensitive to other people's feelings. People value the ISFJ for their consideration and awareness, and their ability to bring out the best in others by their firm desire to believe the best."
My parents would so not agree about me being considerate or sensitive to other people's feelings. They'd rather describe me as egoistic, dominant and self-centered. It's true, that's the kind of person I am at home (not that I'm proud of it...) but my friends would never describe me this way. They know me as a warm-hearted, kind person. I always have arguments with my parents, especially with my father about peanuts, basically, but in the "real world" (if you say so) I avoid arguments and try to find compromises. At home, however, I'm very stubborn and never deviate from my opinion. So it really seems like I have two different personalities.

Perhaps it'd be a good idea if I give you some more information about my personality.
Practically everyone would describe me as indecisive. Out of all persons I know, I'm definitely the most indecisive one. I always need help making decisions, no matter if they are difficult ones (like my subjects for university) or easy ones (which key ring should I buy?) - I always need help. If there's no one there to help me, I get really desperate, f.e. concerning my key ring. My parents didn't want to choose for me, so I chose randomnly. Luckily they helped with my subject choice at least. I hate making decisions, I hate making commitments. Mainly because I fear I'm going to regret my choice. I'm never happy with my decisions. I didn't even want to unwrap my key ring for this reason.
Furthermore, I delay decisions. I should have chosen the subjects when I was still in school, but I always found excuses to delay bothering with the topic. Now I'm going to do my driving license, but I just can't go to the registration because that would mean that I have to do it. Not that I don't want to! But I just don't like the idea of being committed.
I always have a hard time answering test questions "Do you decide with your brain or your heart?" because I really don't know. Probably both. It doesn't help me to inform myself about different opportunities. Concering my subject choice, I didn't even want to inform myself. I was so scared that no subject would fit or that there would be no subject I'm going to like, that I just did the most necessary research, but not more. Now I'm not really satisfied with my choice (Journalism & Communications) - my parents helped me to make the decision, but that's not the reason. I just can't be happy when something's definite. I'd probably say I decide with my heart. But I'm much too slow for heart decisions, so I really don't know. (does this even make sense?)

By the way...when there were only four subjects I could choose from, I mainly thought about my future job and not about the curriculum. Does that mean I'm more concerned about the future than about the present?
Concerning my future job: I really can't imagine being a boss (although I'm quite dominant at home) I'd be more like an assistant, probably. I don't like to assume responsibility and I don't want to work on my own. I'd like to work with colleagues. When I was in school, I always preferred partner work. It was such a relief not being alone with the task!

Furthermore, I plan a lot. In my head - I don't write lists. I don't like lists because I don't want to see all the things that have to be done, so I do it all in my head. That's why I don't have a planner, that's why I always looked in my school friend's planner to see the dates of the next exams (I know, that's not going to work my entire life that way). When I forget something, it can't have been that important - that's the way I think. But usually I don't really stick to the plan. When I say: "Tomorrow I'm going to do this and that" I follow the first points, but then I basically do whatever I want because I'm easily distracted. I don't care so much if I don't get everything done that should've get done on that day. However, it's different with presentations. Then I even plan every single word I say and I stick to it. But the reason might be that I'm not a confident talker. I'm really nervous when I have to talk in front of several people. In general, I'm quite a nervous and anxious person. That's why I don't like changes...but it depends. Some changes like university I really enjoy (I'm so happy that I finished school!) but others I don't like, especially "unnecessary" ones. So it always depends if the change makes sense to me.

Okay...I wrote much longer than I actually intended to - I'm sorry, I always write way too much. I could probably even tell you more about me, if this might help in any way to define my personality type. Perhaps you could ask me some questions? I'd be glad to answer them!

(I hope you don't mind the mistakes - i don't have much time, so I wrote the text rather quickly)

PS: I've also read the other personality types you recommended me, but I always seem to have the problem that some parts fit and some don't. It's a vicious circle. In the evening I could tell you more about the points that fit/don't fit, if you need to know! But I guess it'd be easier if I just answer some specific questions?

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
@kathi -

Thanks for being so forthcoming and detailed in your response.

The descriptions you gave of differing behaviors at home vs. when out with your friends is actually quite normal. It is easy, especially when young, to assimilate behaviors of those around us that are influential in our life. Additionally, we sometimes reject certain behaviors that might be how we might normally prefer, simply because we associte those behaviors with a person, such as a parent, and we are currently trying to establish our identity separate from that individual. Again, this is normal and to be expected.

Our values and life experiences heavily influence our behaviors, which can cloud our ability to discern our personality type if we are focusing specifically on behaviors as opposed to cognitive processing preferences. This may be what you are experiencing in your anxiety relative to making a decision.

As an ISTJ (or any type, for that matter), if you have life experiences where others have been very critical of your decisions, fostering the feeling that you can't make good decisions, then it would be normal for you to shy away from decision making as the fear becomes the most salient feeling associated with the process.

OTOH, if you are an INFP or ISFP, it could be that you prefer to keep you options open, seeking the better decision that has not yet presented itself. These types often experience a type of "buyer's remorse" after making a decision resulting in a style of decision making that relies on external factors to force them into a decision.

So, I would suggest maybe focusing on recognizing cognitive functions at work in your life rather than behaviors. As the one INTJ responded, this would likely put you into the ISFJ camp. Talk with some of them and find out why they feel the way they do. It may help you determine your type.

HTH

·
Registered
168 Posts
@kathi I wish you luck on figuring out your type. I'd personally recommend studying the functions and watching some of DaveSuperPowers's videos on youtube. Currently I'm in discernment of my type, even though the tests often tagged me as an ISTJ. Niss always has great advice no matter what type you are, and he has some of the most enjoyable posts that I have read. Even if I turn out to not be an ISTJ, I can most assuredly say I will stick around this side of the forum to engage everyone here :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
My parents would so not agree about me being considerate or sensitive to other people's feelings. They'd rather describe me as egoistic, dominant and self-centered. It's true, that's the kind of person I am at home (not that I'm proud of it...) but my friends would never describe me this way. They know me as a warm-hearted, kind person. I always have arguments with my parents, especially with my father about peanuts, basically, but in the "real world" (if you say so) I avoid arguments and try to find compromises. At home, however, I'm very stubborn and never deviate from my opinion. So it really seems like I have two different personalities.
I would take your parents' opinion with a grain of salt. Family members can sometimes be too close to judge whole personalities objectively. My INTJ sister and my still-untyped mother were ALWAYS getting at me for being over emotional and crying too easily. BUT...

When I got to university I was told I was a tactless robot with only three facial expressions. :dry: And my teachers consistently complained how dry and unemotional my work was.

So, all of my family's "you can't REALLY be an ISTJ because you're just so emotional" speeches were just plain BS.

Reactions: niss and Karen2011

·
Registered
933 Posts
I thought I was ISFP for a while but it was my immediate family members who helped me see myself through another person`s eyes and type me. I`m not as in tune to others feelings as the Feelers in my family but I`m much more in tune with my own feelings than they are with their own feelings. My DH will feel someone else`s feelings and try to please them by feeling the same way they do and acting accordingly even if it puts him at risk or sometimes I see people taking advantage. I`m more likely to sense when it isn`t right for me to go that far with empathy and will draw back. This can make me seem cold(to my DH who is a feeler) but to me it seems more fair for them to carry Some of their own weight and not overburden others or take advantage of someone`s kind heart though I`d never say anything about it directly to them. Every time this type of scenario would evolve out of a natural drive to watch out for myself and my family and it would cause some stress while sorting out what was what.

When my DH is caught up in feelings of empathy he might have problems with concrete facts that might throw up red flags to use caution in certain situations and he might think I`m being unkind when my BS(boloney sausage)detector has been going off repeatedly for days. Then it turns out I was spot on correct to use caution and to mention it to my DH. He says he should listen to me more often..but he never does. ;)

To give a example me trying to feel someone else`s feelings is like trying to scratch their back without them telling me where it itches. I can discern external cues and read people very well through observation and know what is happening but I might not take on their feelings and feel them too. It depends on who they are and the situation. I can be empathetic but only in certain situations with certain people.

So, that made me think perhaps I was indeed more of a thinker than a feeler plus the test results supported that hypothesis.

Sure, since I`m no expert on the subject I could be wrong about my type but I have found the closest match is ISTJ even though I can find some of myself in all the descriptions particularly in ISFP even though it is quite different than my type.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello! It's me again, three years later :) 21 now and still struggling with my personality type.

Thing is, almost every test says I'm an ISTJ. I'm still not really sure about it, sometimes I feel I'm more of an ISFJ but I just don't know!
I did the Keys 2 Cognition Test again, however, and these are my results:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************** (20.8)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ******************************************* (43.5)
excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) *********************** (23.9)
limited use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ***************** (17.5)
limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *************************************** (39.2)
excellent use
introverted Thinking (Ti) **************************** (28.7)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************* (25.8)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) **************************************** (40)
excellent use

It's a bit different now, but I guess it's only natural since I'm older and maybe - maybe! - somewhat more mature.

I'm still having a hard time to identify myself with ISTJ properly. But ISFJ sounds almost too...nice for me. I am polite and helpful, but I don't really care a lot about people. Many would describe me as shy and unapproachable. I just have a really hard time showing people that I like them. I do like them (not many, but still), but it may almost seem like I don't. Affection is really hard for me. I'm not a big fan of hugs or just...touching people in general. I want to, but I just can't. It'd feel unnatural and fake of me to do it. So, is this usual behaviour for any particular MBTI-type? Or am i just really weird?

Maybe some of you could help me or ask me some questions or...I don't even know. I'd just really like to know my personality type! Three years later, and still not any wiser *sigh*

I'm really looking forward to your replies! :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
You sort of sound like me lol.

I am kind to those i care about. I do give hugs to those I know need them (like my mother n brother) i dont say kind things all the time and i like to be alone a lot of the time. I can't stand alot of people. People think im a sarcastic human who has no feelings. But i really do. Im just harder on myself than anyone can be to me.

From what you said i think your an istj :)
Remember that all istjs differ. Yet have something in common.
I recently like to give hugs more. Because i learned that its the only way I can make my family see i do love them. And i found out hugs are like therapy in a quick form lol.
I took several test to c my personality but the one test i likes was the 16personality test. :)
Anything youd like to ask about an istj i can answer from my view point. XD

Do you also experience any of these?
Thinks alot of ppl are rude and stupid at times.
Suck at lying
Takes manners seriously
Likes things to be planned?
Don't like spontaneous things?

From an ISTJ ._.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hi :)

Thanks for your reply! It's a bit different for me. It's like I'm physically unable to give hugs, I just can't bring myself to do it. I won't refuse a hug, mainly because I don't want to seem impolite or hurt the other person, but I'm not hugging people voluntarily. Even if I want to, it's like there's some sort of emotional barrier...I can't quite explain it. It's like I know I should console my mum by hugging her, but there's something inside me that won't let me do it, as much as I'd like to.

I also prefer to be alone most of the time, sometimes even meeting with my friends exhausts me. At the same time my happiest memories include being with my friends and just having fun. I need my space, but not all the time. I'm definitely an introvert though. I don't have any problems introducing myself to new people or initiate conversations, but I'm not as open or friendly as one might suggest an extrovert. Small talk is really difficult for me.
I can't stand a lot of people either, but it's mainly because I'm one quick to judge. I often find myself walking into a uni course full of new people I never met in my whole life and quickly deciding that they're all stupid and not worth my time. I'm sort of arrogant but also insecure. It's really weird. It's like I'm refusing people before they even get the chance to refuse me.

Thank you so much for the recommendation, I didn't know 16personality test before! I really like the test. It's interesting, I got ISFJ/T this time.

My results (in case it's of interest to any of you):
Extraverted/Introverted: 28% Introverted
Intuitive/Observant: 41% Observant
Thinking/Feeling: 14% Feeling
Judging/Prospecting: 18% Judging
Assertive/Turbulent: 32% Turbulent

And now to your questions:
1. Yeah I definitely think a lot of people are rude and stupid. Mainly stupid. As I said, I tend to be quite arrogant sometimes, but I kind of developed the attitude as some sort of protective mechanism.
2. I'm actually quite a good liar, it comes naturally to me (but mainly white lies). I probably lie more often than I should...not that I'm proud of it.
3. Yeah, manners are important to me.
4. I like things to be planned and organized, but there also needs to be room for spontaneous activities. I never completely improvise though. For example, if had to completely improvise a whole presentation, I would probably start to cry.
5. It depends on my mood and on what kind of spontaneous things. However, I usually prefer everything to be planned.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Your welcome i hope the test and the discrption helped and fit you. Sence your a Turbulent you may not fit Absolutely because most is when your Asertive (you can look on there website to find out more what it means) :) hope it was helpful :3

From an ISTJ ._.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Have you looked at the function descriptions? ISXJ have a Si/Ne in common, but differ in Te/Fi for ISTJ and Fe/Ti for ISFJ.
Some links here and here.

I recognise myself in quite a lot of your post, I think ISTJ is your best bet, but only you can know for sure.

Great to see you back here by the way, I love it when people follow up on previous posts!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi, thank you for your reply! Your links were really useful and interesting to read! And I'm also really glad to be back here :)

Yeah, when I think about it, I may be an ISTJ with ISFJ tendencies. My Si is very strong (43.5), also my Fi (40) and Te (39.2).
If I take a look here: typelogic..com/fa.html (I can't post links yet, just delete one dot) this sounds like ISTJ to me. Even though Fi is my auxiliary function and not Te, but the difference is so small, it probably doesn't matter, does it?

Even though I have to admit that I had some difficulties answering the 2 Keys Cognition test and therefore I'm not sure the results are 100% accurate. Is there another test that measures the functions? Maybe that'd help to double-check.

I guess my main problem with identifying with ISTJ is the focus on punctuality and order. I don't care if people are punctual, because I'm not always on time myself. I'm often late for uni or when meeting with my friends. It's not something I am proud of, but I just can't help it sometimes. And I'm not that tidy as one imagines an ISTJ to be. Maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on the stereotypical ISTJ descriptions, I don't know.

Not sure if it's of any relevance, but maybe it helps: I'm studying media and communication but my internship is in an insurance company (starting tomorrow, it's for two months, but I already did an internship in the same company two years ago). I have to handle claims there. It's not exactly my dream job but also not something I competely loathe. To be honest, I'm mainly doing it for the money. The payment is way better than in other internships and it's in the neighbourhood. At the moment, my dream job would probably be being a German and Psychology teacher (German is my native language). I don't have the qualifications though.
My favourite internship so far was working in the international office of an university where I had to deal with everything related to incoming exchange students and organising their timetables and and stuff. What I loved most about it were my appointments with the students, I loved talking to them and checking their timetables and curriculums to make sure everything was alright (and make changes if it wasn't. I learned really fast). And it was great because I got to know lots of different cultures (the students were from practically everywhere: France, The Netherlands, Ireland, Argentina, USA, even China) and just liked talking to the students in general. Time flew by so quickly, it was amazing. I think I was quite good at what I was doing, I got recognition from my boss and another internship offer (which unfortunately I couldn't accept because of my own university curriculum).

I'm not sure, but that does that say anything about my MBTI type? I'd love to work in any kind of education sector in the future, maybe in an administrative position or something like that.

(sorry if I'm rambling too much, it's a bad habit I only have on the internet)

(also sorry for any English mistakes that may have been occured)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hello out there!

I'm completely new here and shortly want to introduce myself: My name is Kathi, I'm 18 years old and I'm from Vienna, Austria. ....

Sooo, back to topic! I'm interested in the MBTI test (do you say test after MBTI? I honestly have no idea) for a couple of days now and did several versions of the test. I mostly scored ISTJ, but also INTJ and sometimes even ISFJ.
Perhaps the most interesting result for you guys to analyze is this one here:

extraverted Sensing (Se) *********************** (23.9)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ***************************************** (41.3)
excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************** (30.1)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ********************** (22.7)
limited use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************************** (29)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ****************************** (30.9)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************** (26)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ************************************ (36.1)
excellent use

It's from Keys 2 Cognition. I don't really understand everything about the whole Se/Si/... etc. stuff, but of course I have did some research so I know what's it mainly about.
But I'm faaaar away from being an expert: so if anyone cold help me to analyze this result, I'd be really grateful!

The thing is, I don't really feel like a true ISTJ. Partly I do, but there are some things I can't relate to.
I don't believe that strictly in laws and traditions, safety is so not my priority, I don't set much value on punctuality, I'm pretty chaotic, I really have a bad memory (especially when it comes to my photographic memory), I don't remember a lot of facts and I don't like working with data. I do organize a bit and make a plan (in my head...I never write anything down, I don't even have a calendar) but I don't really keep to it (because I'm easily distracted) and I also don't have a great sense of space and function. The more I read about ISTJ, the more points I find that won't fit. I know, there can't be a personality type that fits perfectly, but the main points about ISTJ's are organization, arrangement, punctuality, aren't they? So, yeah, I'm having a bit of a identity crises right now.

Hi, Kathi!

Normally, an MBTI test will try to pick the type which includes your highest scoring (most used) cognitive functions. Balancing I's and E's, your best grouping includes Si, Fi, Te, and Ne.

ISTJ
"The Duty Fulfiller" (ESTJ for Extrovert) includes your functions.

The stack for ISTJ is Si Te Fi Ne ...

Dominant: Introverted Sensing
Auxiliary: Extraverted Thinking
Tertiary: Introverted Feeling
Inferior: Extraverted Intuition

However, you say ISTJ appears to be a poor fit for you. (The DNardi test includes the functions profile so that you can explore alternatives.)

INFP "The Idealist" (ENFP for Extrovert) is the other type which includes the same functions.

The stack for INFP is Fi Ne Si Te ...

Dominant: Introverted Feeling
Auxiliary: Extraverted Intuition
Tertiary: Introverted Sensing
Inferior: Extraverted Thinking

[Quite a different stack!]

The 'score' (sum of scores of included functions) is the same for all four (Introvert and Extrovert) types: 136.5. Since the DNardi test evidently picked ISTJ as your first result, it seems to feel you are an Introvert. You seem to agree. If you are, then your choice is ISTJ or INFP. (Extrovert choice would be ESTJ or ENFP.) To read the 'standard' full description, click on the type in this paragraph.

To read a full description from an alternative source (which sometimes uses different names for the types), click on the type here: ISTJ INFP ESTJ ENFP .

Based upon what you've said, I believe you are probably an INFP or, maybe, ENFP.

Up to you to decide which type fits best.

Welcome to the forums!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts