Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get questioned about my type a lot just from my posts. And I'm curious as to what you all really think I am.

If you've read some of my posts please have your say!

Those who haven't, here are a few pointers which I think are the basis of my personality preferences:

- I'm family oriented. I'm not typically traditional but I follow mostly what my parents out of respect/to please them.

- I'm a serious daydreamer, I think A LOT about events that have happened and over-analyse/breadth of thought - what I make of them, what they mean and if needed, prepare how I'm going to handle a situation in the best way - what I want to say, how I'm going to say so that I'm considerate of the other person's feelings but still be assertive.

- If I have a crush on someone I idealise them, I imagine being with that person and how it's going to be, what they're like, what we'll talk about. I find it hard to express to someone I like that I like them, I'm actually very quiet at the beginning of a relationship - I've been told that I seem like I don't want to be in the relationship but in fact I really really like them, and I have constant butterflies just thinking about them.

- I want the world to be a better place, I believe everyone can get on well with each other if we took the time and patience and understood each other.

- I really hate it when people say unnecessary unkind words - "Hey, that's not a nice thing to say, that's a human being there, they have feelings, you're not perfect!"

- I like to be organised and plan things, but I'm not controlling of anyone, although if I spot that someone might get hurt/in danger then I let them know.

- When I'm in a relationship I love spending time with my bf and love physical affection but not overly so, although I'm not emotionally clingy, I actually like my space, but that doesn't mean that I don't think about them a lot.

- I love asking people questions about them, and learning more about them. I get really excited (internally and externally) when I've hit that point when that person opens up and I see what makes them tick, when they are happy I laugh, when they're sad I feel kind of hurt inside.

- When meeting someone for the first time I can usually tell what kind of person they are in their interaction/how they're going to be.

- When in a sticky situation I can be objective and still make a decision as well as considering the other person's feelings. Actually it's the emotions that get my attention first.

- When meeting new people/making new friends, I'm quite quiet at first because I'm cautious, I want to get to know the other person first before opening up. So basically I go through a warm up stage, although I can drive myself to be more open if I am really in the mood and consider it important.

Note: I have been told I come across as ESFJ, INFJ or even ENFJ.
My assessment results were ESTJ/INTJ.

Anyway, looking forward to your views x

:happy:

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
I think there's a tendency for Ss to get questioned on this forum anyway, but I can definitely see why for you. From the information given, and what I've seen of you, I would say that there's a very strong case for you being a Feeler - some form of FJ. What leads you to believe you're an extrovert, and what makes you believe you are a Sensor?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think there's a tendency for Ss to get questioned on this forum anyway, but I can definitely see why for you. From the information given, and what I've seen of you, I would say that there's a very strong case for you being a Feeler - some form of FJ. What leads you to believe you're an extrovert, and what makes you believe you are a Sensor?
In my assessment, I came out as borderline E/I, and borderline S/N

So:
E = 3
S = 3
T = 25
J = 45

Good questions thanks! I'm going to list the preferences from my assessment:

What leads me to believe I'm an extrovert?
I prefer to communicate by talking, learn best by doing stuff, broad interests, take initiative in work and relationships.
And what leads me to be an introvert? (had to add this)
Am always daydreaming - of past and future, never really in the present. I work out some ideas by reflecting on them, but also make quite quick decisions. If a situation is very important to me then I take the initiative, if not I'm not that interested.

What leads me to believe I'm a Sensor?
- Look at the realities of information, concrete, focus on what is real, observe and remember details, build carefully and thoroughly through conclusions, understand ideas and theories through application, trust experience.
What leads me to believe I'm Intuitive?
- I like to and tend to find meanings in things, remember details when they relate to a pattern, want to clarify theories before putting them into practice.

See, weird thing is - I am empathetic, but just because someone is a sensor doesn't mean that they can't be empathetic. Don't you think? I don't like conflict but I don't run from it, I will face it. I have deep emotions about things esp when a value of mine is attacked - I don't feel someone else's values being attacked but I can SEE/SENSE when someone is upset/angry just by looking at their face and body language. I haven't got ESP/Telepathy/Psychic ability type of thing going on. I want everyone to be treated equally but ALSO as an individual.
As a THINKER, I am incredibly analytical - it is SCARY....I am logical when making decisions but I still consider others feelings - I have to make a more conscious effort to remind myself, sometimes it's easier in some situations - kind of 50/50 maybe? And I am reasonable which is also a preference of THINKERS.

I read ESTJ and INTJ and I relate a lot to both, in some areas more ESTJ and other areas INTJ. I've pretty much figured that I'm definitely TJ....

But then I read the ENFJ and INFJ and can relate to the 'giving' side of the personality type - in the past I was such a people pleaser that I always put my needs last and when someone asked me what I wanted and needed...I was like "What?!....ummmm.....I don't know...I feel bad to say that I have needs, they don't seem as important as others".

Confusing huh?! :unsure:

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
See, weird thing is - I am empathetic, but just because someone is a sensor doesn't mean that they can't be empathetic. Don't you think?
Good on you for noting. If you feel you are TJ, and relate to those profiles moreso than the FJ profiles, then that is what stands, and not my assessment. Perhaps you're just well rounded in that area. You may honestly want to consider ISTJ or INTJ, but I think S is more likely for you.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ESTJ would definitely be my guess Lantern....:wink:
haha wink back at ya matey.

Good on you for noting. If you feel you are TJ, and relate to those profiles moreso than the FJ profiles, then that is what stands, and not my assessment. Perhaps you're just well rounded in that area. You may honestly want to consider ISTJ or INTJ, but I think S is more likely for you.
I was told definitely not ISTJ as they can come across as more reserved/IT types? and I'm not like that :wink:
Ooooo....maybe I have multiple personalities....hehe, no Jekyll and Hyde jokes please...

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I was being facetious with my comments to Lantern, as she well knows. We have had some extensive discussions as to whether she prefers Fe or Te. Part of the discussion spilled over to this thread. Lantern is extremely thoughtful and caring.

Furthermore it’s too remote of a thought for her to be INTJ since there is conflict in attempting to use the same functions used for the same thing. Te and Fe are the only two functions used to judge external data. You can’t judge information or something on strict cold empiricism, and how it affects other people at the same time. The same goes for the Si/Ni. They’re the only two functions that we use to create images and impressions outside of having direct contact with the source in the outer world. You cannot evoke “what is” or “what was” and recall with stored impressions using Si while also foreseeing implications and likely effects and conceptualizing new ways of seeing things with Ni.

I know that Grey, along with Inebriato, disagree about function orders but as I stated in the past, the functions must be in a certain place to negate too much use of it’s tandem function (i.e., Ni-Se). But in this case Si cannot and will not be one of the top four functions for someone using Ni because it gives you zero ability to take in information with their counterparts Ne-Se.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I was told definitely not ISTJ as they can come across as more reserved/IT types? and I'm not like that :wink: Ooooo....maybe I have multiple personalities....hehe, no Jekyll and Hyde jokes please...
OMG, you are one of the most grounded people on this forum (multiple personalities my arse)..... You're just obstinate Missy, and you struggle to use your Ne to consider other possibilities because your Si has etched such a powerful image of being ESTJ, in stone. You are no different than NJs in this sense. those who use Ne and Se will remain open and may change their minds as new information comes in. NJ and SJ types know what they know, and refuse to be confused with conflicting facts once their minds are made up.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was being facetious with my comments to Lantern, as she well knows. We have had some extensive discussions as to whether she prefers Fe or Te. Part of the discussion spilled over to this thread. Lantern is extremely thoughtful and caring.
Can I just add....being thoughtful and caring has nothing to do with type, I believe. Everyone cares at some level, but in different ways.

OMG, you are one of the most grounded people on this forum (multiple personalities my arse)..... You're just obstinate Missy, and you struggle to use your Ne to consider other possibilities because your Si has etched such a powerful image of being ESTJ, in stone. You are no different than NJs in this sense. those who use Ne and Se will remain open and may change their minds as new information comes in. NJ and SJ types know what they know, and refuse to be confused with conflicting facts once their minds are made up.
I only change my mind when I am convinced that the reason is logical - which is very SJ and NJ. But this does not mean that I don't want to learn anything new...I pick and choose data, old and new and add it to my complex web of current information and this is how I make sense of the world, and you guys and gals have the true blessing of having to put up with my philosophical waffling. :laughing: Hehe.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Can I just add....being thoughtful and caring has nothing to do with type, I believe. Everyone cares at some level, but in different ways.
No, you can’t add that…..:laughing: Just kidding. Actually it has a great deal to do with it and we use Fe to be this way. Granted Te dominant types can be thoughtful and caring as well, but generally this function as well as Ti dominant types will focus more on what is causing the problem and how do we resolve it.

An example is when someone approaches you wanting to talk about something that has upset them. It takes Fe to show empathy and allow the person to vent. Te types are not going to allow you to vent for too long (remember the illustration I gave during a mediation last week). They want to resolve the problem. Ti dominant types may allow you to talk, but they’re also focusing on how to resolve your problem as well. The problem is that you did not want your problem solved, you just wanted to vent and appreciate the sympathetic ear.
I only change my mind when I am convinced that the reason is logical - which is very SJ and NJ. But this does not mean that I don't want to learn anything new...I pick and choose data, old and new and add it to my complex web of current information and this is how I make sense of the world, and you guys and gals have the true blessing of having to put up with my philosophical waffling. :laughing: Hehe.
Specifically that is Ti Lantern. This is how the function order goes for the ESJs:

ESTJ – Te-Si-Ne-Fi-Ti-Se-Ni-Fe

ESFJ – Fe-Si-Ne-Ti-Fi-Se-Ni-Te

ESTJs have very little use of Ti (a shadow function for them) since they have access to Te. ESFJs do use Ti, not as their least used function as some believe. Instead Ti must be readily available to offset Fe becoming overly dominant. No other function can do this but Ti. Te cannot because it is used for the same reason. Yes you do have access and can use Ne to offset an over use of Si. The problem is that our tertiary function uses the same attitude as our dominant function therefore we may be untrusting of its nature. Ni as my tertiary, but there are times that my Ti will not allow me to trust what I get from my images and impressions, believing that there is no logic to the conclusion.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, you can’t add that…..:laughing: Just kidding. Actually it has a great deal to do with it and we use Fe to be this way. Granted Te dominant types can be thoughtful and caring as well, but generally this function as well as Ti dominant types will focus more on what is causing the problem and how do we resolve it.

An example is when someone approaches you wanting to talk about something that has upset them. It takes Fe to show empathy and allow the person to vent. Te types are not going to allow you to vent for too long (remember the illustration I gave during a mediation last week). They want to resolve the problem. Ti dominant types may allow you to talk, but they’re also focusing on how to resolve your problem as well. The problem is that you did not want your problem solved, you just wanted to vent and appreciate the sympathetic ear. Specifically that is Ti Lantern. This is how the function order goes for the ESJs:

ESTJ – Te-Si-Ne-Fi-Ti-Se-Ni-Fe

ESFJ – Fe-Si-Ne-Ti-Fi-Se-Ni-Te

ESTJs have very little use of Ti (a shadow function for them) since they have access to Te. ESFJs do use Ti, not as their least used function as some believe. Instead Ti must be readily available to offset Fe becoming overly dominant. No other function can do this but Ti. Te cannot because it is used for the same reason. Yes you do have access and can use Ne to offset an over use of Si. The problem is that our tertiary function uses the same attitude as our dominant function therefore we may be untrusting of its nature. Ni as my tertiary, but there are times that my Ti will not allow me to trust what I get from my images and impressions, believing that there is no logic to the conclusion.
No that is not Ti - I'm talking about Intuition(N)....let's get past the cognitive functions. The use of N, in my resonance to INTJ preferences.

When I am listening to someone's problem, then yes I do in my mind try to figure out if/how to help them/resolve the problem and/or making a judgment whether that person is just wanting a sympathetic ear or just wanting to vent. As an ESTJ, in the past I suggested solutions and that other person got frustrated because that isn't what they wanted, but LEARNT how to recognise when someone just wanted to vent or want solutions. There are plenty of times that I just want to talk about things that have upset me, but I'm not necessarily wanting a solution.

To me, it sounds like you're implying is that ESTJ types have a low ability to learn how to use Ti. You yourself have said that all types have use of the eight functions....what I am doing is exercising those least used four functions....whether it correlates to what order I use....that's far too complex to comprehend and analyse, as I'm not going to analyse...and then analyse how/why/what decision I've come to.

I believe anyone can learn how to use more of their least used functions to learn/improve their communication - if they really wanted to, but I don't believe this has anything to do with MBTI type, it is more likely down to the individual's choice and whatever stage in their life they're going through or have experienced something that has enlightened them, driven them to WANT to be the best they can be.

Functianalyst, you're taking away the human element, as I remember you saying "my type does not define me".

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
No that is not Ti - I'm talking about Intuition(N)....let's get past the cognitive functions. The use of N, in my resonance to INTJ preferences.

When I am listening to someone's problem, then yes I do in my mind try to figure out if/how to help them/resolve the problem and/or making a judgment whether that person is just wanting a sympathetic ear or just wanting to vent. As an ESTJ, in the past I suggested solutions and that other person got frustrated because that isn't what they wanted, but LEARNT how to recognise when someone just wanted to vent or want solutions. There are plenty of times that I just want to talk about things that have upset me, but I'm not necessarily wanting a solution.

To me, it sounds like you're implying is that ESTJ types have a low ability to learn how to use Ti. You yourself have said that all types have use of the eight functions....what I am doing is exercising those least used four functions....whether it correlates to what order I use....that's far too complex to comprehend and analyse, as I'm not going to analyse...and then analyse how/why/what decision I've come to.

I believe anyone can learn how to use more of their least used functions to learn/improve their communication - if they really wanted to, but I don't believe this has anything to do with MBTI type, it is more likely down to the individual's choice and whatever stage in their life they're going through or have experienced something that has enlightened them, driven them to WANT to be the best they can be.

Functianalyst, you're taking away the human element, as I remember you saying "my type does not define me".
Arrgghhh, fine.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
There's no way that you are a sensor. You are intuitive. I'd say you are either an INFJ or a ENFJ.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's no way that you are a sensor. You are intuitive. I'd say you are either an INFJ or a ENFJ.
Thanks for your input. In which of the descriptions do you think comes across as ENFJ or INFJ? I'd like to know from an ENFx point of view...so then we can compare notes....

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I get questioned about my type a lot just from my posts. And I'm curious as to what you all really think I am.

If you've read some of my posts please have your say!

Those who haven't, here are a few pointers which I think are the basis of my personality preferences:

- I'm family oriented. I'm not typically traditional but I follow mostly what my parents out of respect/to please them.

- I'm a serious daydreamer, I think A LOT about events that have happened and over-analyse/breadth of thought - what I make of them, what they mean and if needed, prepare how I'm going to handle a situation in the best way - what I want to say, how I'm going to say so that I'm considerate of the other person's feelings but still be assertive.</b>

- <b>If I have a crush on someone I idealise them, I imagine being with that person and how it's going to be, what they're like, what we'll talk about. I find it hard to express to someone I like that I like them, I'm actually very quiet at the beginning of a relationship - I've been told that I seem like I don't want to be in the relationship but in fact I really really like them, and I have constant butterflies just thinking about them.

- I want the world to be a better place, I believe everyone can get on well with each other if we took the time and patience and understood each other.

- I really hate it when people say unnecessary unkind words - "Hey, that's not a nice thing to say, that's a human being there, they have feelings, you're not perfect!"

- I like to be organised and plan things, but I'm not controlling of anyone, although if I spot that someone might get hurt/in danger then I let them know.

- When I'm in a relationship I love spending time with my bf and love physical affection but not overly so, although I'm not emotionally clingy, I actually like my space, but that doesn't mean that I don't think about them a lot.

- I love asking people questions about them, and learning more about them. I get really excited (internally and externally) when I've hit that point when that person opens up and I see what makes them tick, when they are happy I laugh, when they're sad I feel kind of hurt inside.

- When meeting someone for the first time I can usually tell what kind of person they are in their interaction/how they're going to be.

- When in a sticky situation I can be objective and still make a decision as well as considering the other person's feelings. Actually it's the emotions that get my attention first.

- When meeting new people/making new friends, I'm quite quiet at first because I'm cautious, I want to get to know the other person first before opening up. So basically I go through a warm up stage, although I can drive myself to be more open if I am really in the mood and consider it important.

Note: I have been told I come across as ESFJ, INFJ or even ENFJ.
My assessment results were ESTJ/INTJ.

Anyway, looking forward to your views x

:happy:
Why do I say that you are an NF? You analyze the hell out of everything, you are a big dreamer (that screams intuitive) as well. Also you talk a lot about relationships and feelings as well. Plus you say that you want to make the world a better place. This basically screams NF.

I'm almost positive that you are an NF. I am not sure about the i/e or j/p though. But, if I were to take a wild guess I'd say you were an INFJ based on the information given.

·
Registered
758 Posts
You're NF methinks as well.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well I definitely believe I am an E as I get lots of mental and physical energy just from being around people...and I'm a much happier person too.

I dunno....

SJs want to also make the world a better place, improve things on a grander scale?

*Calling other ESTJs* - any views?

Maybe as someone else said (think it was Grey)....I've made use of the other cognitive functions. I'm never entirely comfortable expressing my feelings...say if I appreciated/liked someone, am grateful I can say thanks and if I'm close to them I'll hug them, and be helpful....but I rarely declare in words how I really feel...and this is a big preference for NF isn't it?
Why don't I declare how I really feel? because I think my actions are obvious - that they show how I feel. Also, if it's love - I'd be afraid the other person didn't feel the same way..plus I get all embarrassed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts