Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He cut off friendship but not connection. He said he'll talkto me and that when he ignores me "take it as a warning. He says friends are useless and worthless, that they do nothing in the future. He says "stop trying so hard to like or be nice to me." I told him "I wasn't even trying" He told me to forget the past yet he can't for get his. Close a chapter and begin a new one. He hasn't moved on yet. He's been through so much in the past, so have I. and me helping him is the way to ease me since I made a promise to myself to "save those who are quietly screaming for help. Save the ones you care about. Don't give up no matter what." I made that promise after the most devastating part of my childhood. The day after my brother (really close friend) got in a car accident. He was nice no matter how mad. I saw him cry once to relieve stress. I was like this guy I was trying to help. Now, I want to be like my brother. This person I'm trying to save is building up walls to cut-off close connection, emotionally. I need to reach this guy somehow, So I wrote a letter... A letter were I put all my hearrt and soul into it.

Here's the letter:Whenyou're hurt, saying something is worthless is the easiest route to take. You'rejust trying to protect yourself- you're in survival mode. But, what you don'trealize is that what you're actually trying to do to protect yourself, isactually hurting you. There's a really great saying that I heard once was
“We build upwalls to protect ourselves, to keep the bad guys out. But by building up thesewalls, we actually prevent the good guys from getting in.” Or:
“Sometimeswe build up walls - not to keep people out but to see who cares enough to knockthem down.”
Buildingwalls can keep all the bad things away, but it can also keep out the joy. Sodon't build up these walls out of fear, or because you're afraid of gettinghurt, okay? Remember that to have a relationship, either friends or lovers,with anyone is a risk. Yes, you might get hurt. Yes bad things can happen, BUTthe reward you can get is worth it.

Do you think this is good enough to reach him? Even just a touch. His walls are almost imposibble to break, but every wall has a weak-spot. I'm trying to keep him from changing schools, otherwise he'll hurt other's in the process. If I let him succeed, I will not be able to fulfill my promise to the brother I can't see anymore... We both need to let go of our pasts. And I need to et this guy out of his wall. He's scared. His first best friend died, and this is what's keeping him from being emotionally attached. He doesn't want to be emotionally attached to anyone because he doesnt wanna get hurt, like when he was little.

My brother said to me "No matter how many times you try. No matter how strong, or weak, you have to keep trying..." I was like this boy, here's what he said to me afer I asked him what if the person doesn't want to?
"Save that person who's secretly crying for help. Just like how you were... I reached you didn't I? That's because I cared about you." Once again, I only saw him cry once. I went up to him. Instead of getting mad, He smiled and gave me a pat on the head saying "I'm okay. Don't worry! It's normal to cry right?" He smiles when sad, he smiles when mad, he shrugs it off and says "meh, that happens!" He's only stubborn when someone needs help. I decided I wanna be like him. Then he got in a car accident. the day after that... That's when I made the promise.

Any advice on how to save him? I got involved with the school phsycologist because of his problems, I'm getting all the help I can and I'm doing my best. The phsycologist said: "There's a high chance you can't help him. I'm not saying to give up, but I suggest that you don't stop what you're doing."

I cannot let him push himself off the cliff, I'm pulling him away, but I'm weak. SO I CAN'T GIVE UP. I'f we leave him alone, he'll go back to his horrible past, I'm pulling him into the future. Like in the letter "We build up walls to protect ourselves, to keep the bad guys out. But by building up these walls, we actually prevent the good guys from getting in" My goal is to knock down those walls. I'm not making a move yet. Right now, I'm gathering help and looking for the weak-spot. If I do, I'll try to get closer (requires A LOT of patience). When the the time comes, I'll knock down the wall and save him, show him the outside worl with no fear of getting hurt. He's scared of making friends because his only best friend was lost and doesn't want that to happen again. ME, I too lost a friend, a realy great one. We both lost our 1st true friend, I was his second. As a friend in m view, a stranger in his view, I will not be a bystander and let this guy hurt himself and wait for someone else to help him. The only way for me to achieve peace and happiness is by helping this guy. It was fate that I met him, and I will acomplish this goal. These are one of my life's goals and it feels like I was born to help this person, who's been through so much.

Give me advice or plans to help me achieve this goal, nothing discouraging. If you try to, it'll throw me off the track, but I'll keep pushing forward. I'm helping him, the people who are getting hurt by him, and myself. The promise I made is like a chain. I cant break free unless I have the key.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am not sure what you are exactly trying to say, I could not really read through it so I summed it up for myself as:
Guy ends friendship but has problems - your brother tells you, you should keep trying to get to his core - you don't know what to do. Is this correct?

Because I could not get the more detailed information out of your post, I will just give an abstract answer. Take your distance from his situation, I would even advice to not bother with it for awhile.
If you do plan on helping him, be aware that taking his problems on your shoulders is never the option. I experienced too much self destructive thoughts just because I was to emotionally involved in problems of others, and you really can't help them with most of them. At the end, everyone needs to face their own demons.

Anyway, not sure if this is anything you can work with, if not, could you give a clearer explaination?

·
Registered
30 Posts
By the way, the only reason I come to this conclusion is because I've been there before with a girl, self-tested as INFP, who has been through shitstorm after shitstorm. I got close enough to learn *that* about her, naturally, but when I came to the point where I wanted to "knock down her wall" I made every wrong move that I possibly could. With this kind of individual, you want to go with the flow. Continue being nice to him, let things happen on their own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts