Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm such a hypocrite because I think questionnaires are so useless and not good at all when it comes to typing someone, BUT here I go . . .

What age range are you in? 0-99

Any disorders or conditions we should know about? None that would affect my answers.

Main Questions

1. What do you think your life is about? What drives you in life? This can be something like a goal or a purpose, or anything else that comes to mind.

So I think all lives are equally unimportant. So my life isn't really about anything. No one's life is. I know, super deep and edgy.

I'm driven by my desire to do whatever I want ? I like setting myself apart from others. I like exploring the unexplored. I like making my own path that differs hugely from that of my peers. I don't like being told what to do, and I think that has driven me my entire life to excel, set myself apart, be different.

And although I do like being different, I don't think it's for different's sake. I think I like things and those things just so happen to be different. It's not arbitrarily choosing things to be different @Swordsman of Mana (because you're such a hater)

Ultimately I hope to be comfortable. I have no desire to be super rich. Fancy things don't interest me, really. I think I have a very individual taste that I don't need a lot of money to buy because what's expensive doesn't fit my taste, and what does fit my taste wouldn't cost enough to require a high income.

I love traveling. So I hope to include that in my future life.

I think it would be cool to work overseas (I'm from the US). Maybe even live overseas full-time as an expat. That's been my "dream" if you will since I was very, very young. Like maybe since I was 5. Like I've known for a LONG time that that is something I'm interested in.

2. What were you like as a kid?
Very quiet, happy, reserved. Excellent student (straight As, always did my homework, . . .). I was like every teacher's dream student. Very curious about things that were well above my grade level.

I never got along with my peers. I got along best with my teachers. I had no friends until about 11th grade. And they lasted ~2 years.

I grew up in the 90s, so I really liked grunge music and those losery kids who skateboarded and had long hair even though they weren't supposed to. I liked artistic people a lot.

I was a very judgmental child. I assumed anyone who wasn't doing as well as I was doing was stupid and unworthy of human life. I didn't think of myself as smart AT ALL. I thought of myself always as the bare minimum. Because all I gave was the bare minimum. Working hard is one thing that I struggle very hard to do. I don't work hard.

So it was always such a painful shock to me that I would be top of my class and everyone else would be falling by the wayside.

I felt very isolated for that reason. Those doing as well or better than I were working hard, and those doing as little work as I were failing.

3. Describe your relationship with your parents. Does anything stand out about the way you interacted?
My parents funded me and transported me. They weren't needed for other things. I often back-talked and told them better ways to be parents. They didn't seem too bright to me. Things that seemed like such obvious things to me about being a parent were lost on them.

It was a lack of empathy on both sides. They didn't see things from my view--I didn't see things from theirs.

I know I sound so loathesome right now. I wasn't as loathesome as I sound. I actually became very friendly and lovely around middle school age. Even to my parents.

4. What values are important to you? What do you hope to avoid doing or being?
Tbh I don't have very strong values at all.

I think people should be independent of everything around them. People should be their own people. But that's not a value of mine--just a suggestion for anyone who wants it. :)

I hope to avoid being a burden on others. I hope to avoid being depressed. I hope to avoid getting in legal trouble. I hope to avoid dying from anything preventable (that would be embarrassing).

5. Aside from phobias, are there any fears that characterized your childhood? Have they continued into the present day, or not, and if not, how have you dealt with them?
Characterized my childhood? Hm. I was always afraid to talk in class. I hated the idea of other people getting to know me, and I knew that anything I said would work against me in that department. So I kept it shut. Always. (TBH I'm still this way. I HATE letting other people get to know me. I can think of few things I hate more than that).

I hated talking in front of the class like in a presentation or something. I hated attention for the most part. I very much just wanted to exist independently from everyone else. And any kind of attention placed on me in front of others was the exact opposite of what I wanted.

I'm struggling to think of other fears. . . I guess I was afraid of heartbreak. In childhood I had some of my first crushes. And I was terrified of telling anyone about them. Because I didn't want the rejection and embarrassment. I guess it all ties back to hating attention.

6. a.) How do you see yourself?
I'm super cute and pretty and lovely and wonderful and perfect. I love me very much. I'd do me. I'd marry me. I wish I could. If I could clone myself, I would. And then I'd have so much sex with me. And marry me. My life would be complete <3 <3 <3

b.) How do you want others to see you?
see a). LOL no I'm just kidding. Um... I guess I would prefer they didn't see me. BUT, . . . if they had to see me, I guess I'd

No, I just wish they wouldn't see me at all.

c.) What do you dislike the most in other people?
Loudness. I'm really not a fan of people who are too high-energy. I find it very draining and annoying.

I don't like people who use big words. Or people who care too much about others. Or people whose values are based on external opinions instead of their own.

What I mean is I hate Fe. A lot.

7. Which habit do you most automatically act on? Rank the following habits from most to least automatic, on a scale of 1 (most) to 3 (least).
a.) Work for personal gain with more concern for self than for others. 1
b.) Strive for a sense of tranquility in yourself and the world around you 3
c.) Decide what is right for the betterment of something or someone else. 2

8. Where does the wandering mind take you? What provokes this?

9.What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
I guess I feel my best when I'm alone and eating healthfully. For some reason eating high-carb-low-fat vegan makes me feel AMAZING. That's when I feel my best, no doubt.

I feel my best actually most of the time. I'm an extremely naturally happy person. My brain makes too much dopamine or something. Like I'll drink a cup of coffee and my brain will just be orgasming in happiness. I shit you not. I just fucking live on happiness drugs all the time. I don't know why I'm so happy. But I wouldn't change it for anything.

I feel my worst when I let others down. I hate it when others have expectations for me. Again, it ties back to everything I've already told you--I like to be invisible and independent of everyone around me. When people try to connect with me, I feel at my worst.

10. Let's talk about emotions. Explain what might make you feel the following, how they feel to you or how you react to the emotion:
a.) anger

Fe morals. People who let egregious obstructions of justice occur because it fits with their harmony and tranquility motives.

b.) embarrassment
Making anything less than a 100/100. Letting other people get to know me. I feel embarrassed when people see more of my skin than I realize I'm showing. This has never happened, I don't think, but it would definitely embarrass me. I think about it a lot, actually.

c.) anxiety
Anything involving social interaction via some sort of non-verbal communication. Because I'm always thinking "oh shit, did that sound rude?" about everything I write/text/type. In person I can make it clear how I mean something to sound.

11. Describe how you respond to the following:
a.) stress
I usually eat something unhealthy. Usually chocolate. Chocolate is my vice. Something about being stressed out makes me crave this worst kind of shit. I hate it. When I'm not stressed I eat like so perfectly.

Being stressed makes me want to shirk my responsibilities. Being late to class stresses me out to the point that I always consider skipping if I think I might be even 10 seconds late. Again, it's an attention thing. Being late makes you the last person to walk through the door, and then everyone turns around and looks at you.

b.) negative unexpected change
I guess I would feel bummed for about 5 seconds and then get over it.

c.) conflict
Usually I avoid confrontation if the conflict is with a person I don't know well. If it's with someone I know well, usually I am very comfortable being assertive.

Usually non-human conflicts don't bother me because I know that they'll always work out. And they always do somehow. Non-human conflicts are non-issues.

12. a.) What kind of role are you naturally inclined to take in a group? Why?
It depends on the group size and who is in the group. But usually I take control and lead when no one else makes it clear that they're going to do that. So I always take it upon myself to do that when no one else does it. Actually it probably works out better for everyone when I take the lead, but I just don't like doing it.

b.) If put in power, how do you behave? Why?
Usually I don't like having power. I guess I try to use my power as little as I can get away with.

c.) Do you tend to struggle with others who have authority over you? Why?
No. I don't tend to struggle with anyone.

13. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?
Their MBTI types. Whether they use responsible language or irresponsible language.

14. Comment on your relationship with trust.
I trust myself very much to always make things work out. I've never let me down.

15. Briefly: What religious and/or political beliefs do you have? Do you think they influenced your responses in this questionnaire?
I'm pro- marriage equality. I'm pro-abortion. I'm pro-adoption. I might even adopt in the future. I'm anti-meat and anti-leather and anti-fur, . . . etc.

I'm an atheist.

No, none of those things influenced my answers. Except for this answer, obviously.

Extra Questions

Which of the following temptations do you find yourself acting upon the most? (And briefly state why)

1. To constantly push yourself to be “the best”
2. To be without needs, well-intentioned
3. To replace direct experience with concepts
4. To have an extreme sense of personal moral obligation
5. To think that fulfillment is somewhere else
6. To cyclically become indecisive and seek others for reassurance
7. To overuse imagination in searching for yourself
8. To avoid conflicts and asserting yourself
9. To consider yourself entirely self-sufficient

1. I never do this intentionally.
2. Nah
3. Always. I do this like 100% of always. I don't like having to do something if I can just figure out how it would be on my own.
4. Literally exact opposite of everything I've said up to this point
5. Yes, I do think this when I am in the US. When I'm not in the US, I don't think this.
6. Never
7. Never
8. Yes, I do this as I said earlier--when I don't know the person very well.
9. I almost never think this.

What's something you are: a.) thankful you have b.) wish you could have? Why?
a) I'm extremely thankful I have a normal functioning body. For obvious reasons.

b) I wish I could have more desire to get to know other people and form connections with them.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Just as an overall, I think your tritype is probably 3, 1 and 5, but I'm not sure which order that's in. Also, that was the most entertaining questionnaire I've read in a long time!

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just as an overall, I think your tritype is probably 3, 1 and 5, but I'm not sure which order that's in. Also, that was the most entertaining questionnaire I've read in a long time!
Is that even a legal tritype?

It looks like those numbers can't be canon.

Reactions: owlet

·
Spam-I-am
14,140 Posts
I'm such a hypocrite because I think questionnaires are so useless and not good at all when it comes to typing someone, BUT here I go . . .

What age range are you in? 0-99

Any disorders or conditions we should know about?- well most people think i'm a window licking fucktard
so what if i like the taste of windows

Main Questions

1. What do you think your life is about? What drives you in life? This can be something like a goal or a purpose, or anything else that comes to mind.

revenge and anger, i'm still pissed at the doctor who slapped me mudder after giving birth to me

2. What were you like as a kid? they used to call me saint daniel the good, i was very well behaved and quiet
then i was born under a giant lotus where i contemplated my existence

4. What values are important to you? What do you hope to avoid doing or being? honesty/integrity
i try to avoid getting caught, being on death row just ain't my cup of tea

5. Aside from phobias, are there any fears that characterized your childhood? Have they continued into the present day, or not, and if not, how have you dealt with them? when i was 13 [1975] i was terrified of nuclear war and horror movies
now horror movies and nuclear war movies i embrace

6. a.) How do you see yourself?- human

b.) How do you want others to see you? i don't, if i had a cloak of invisibility i would wear it all the time

c.) What do you dislike the most in other people? neediness and attention seekers
for some reason total strangers need to talk to me worst part is they will tell me their life story w/o me uttering one word

7. Which habit do you most automatically act on? Rank the following habits from most to least automatic, on a scale of 1 (most) to 3 (least).
a.) Work for personal gain with more concern for self than for others. 3
b.) Strive for a sense of tranquility in yourself and the world around you 1
c.) Decide what is right for the betterment of something or someone else. 2

9.What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
best-alone
worst- not alone

10. Let's talk about emotions. no, lets not, are you female? why is everyone so obsessed about emotions
tellya what when i get emotions and experience them i will get back to you
does wal-mart sell emotions? maybe i will pick some up this weekend
a.) anger- I SAID NO

c.) anxiety- who said that? is that you NSA?

11. Describe how you respond to the following:
a.) stress NO YOU ARE STARTING TO STRESS ME OUT I SAID N.O.

12. a.) What kind of role are you naturally inclined to take in a group? -the observer

c.) Do you tend to struggle with others who have authority over you? Why? because authority is a human concept
and humans are prone to err, authority is often abused by the ego

13. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't? everything, i analyze everything, seen and unseen

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
To be honest, I'm not getting a 5w6 vibe from your post in the slightest. Have you considered the possibility of you being an introverted 7w6?
No, but now I will :laughing:

edit:

Hm. So the description sounds like they found a random ENTP and started describing her.

Naturally I can't relate to it.

However, the descriptions aren't what's relevant in enneagram? (So what is relevant?)

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

edit:

some sort of Sx last 5, not sure which
Why a 5?

I'm asking because I know nothing about enneagram.

I remember you tried typing me before. This isn't my first questionnaire.

And I mentioned that I didn't relate very strongly to any of the 9.

And you said that it's not the descriptions that matter but the basic fears or whatever.

Basic Fear: Being useless, helpless, or incapable
Basic Desire: To be capable and competent

I don't relate to those at all.

Being useless? That not something I ever fear ever. I'm very comfortable and happy when those around me don't need me. It's actually when they do need me that I get annoyed. Maybe I fear being needed :laughing:

Helpless? I don't think that's even a possibility. Everyone can be helped.

Incapable? They need to elaborate on that.

Basic desires: I disagree that I desire those things. I would say that I am those things. I don't desire something I already have. Because I already have it.

Am I taking it too literally?

Key Motivations: Want to possess knowledge, to understand the environment, to have everything figured out as a way of defending the self from threats from the environment.

I don't relate to any of that. But I also don't relate to sp dom. So maybe that's why. (actually I don't relate to any of the doms)

To me it seems like so dom is basically Fe in MBTI.
sp dom is Si. Maybe Si/Te.
sx dom is like Se and you.

edit:

Btw I'm not intentionally trying to be difficult. I don't think it's cute or fun to say "labels are for soup cans." I actually love labels.

I just struggle to relate to any of the enneagram soups.

Reactions: Pressed Flowers

·
Banned
50 Posts
No, but now I will :laughing:

edit:

Hm. So the description sounds like they found a random ENTP and started describing her.

Naturally I can't relate to it.

However, the descriptions aren't what's relevant in enneagram? (So what is relevant?)

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions anyone may have.
Some online descriptions of the types are excellent, but others are unhelpful at best and stereotypical at worst. Most of the online descriptions describe Sevens as people who are shallow, flighty, and extroverted: a typical party animal. The majority of Sevens have far more depth than these descriptions indicate, and introverted Sevens are not going to relate to much of what is written in them.

After reading your original post more than once, I can't stress enough how much you do not seem like a Five. Your writing style makes it appear like your thoughts are nonlinear, which resembles the thought process of a Seven. You also mentioned that you eat excessive amounts of chocolate when you feel stressed about being late to class. Sevens often use food and substances to avoid feeling pain, and many of them struggle with attention deficits. Sevens are not the only type of person that can stress eat, but Fives are much more likely to not eat enough rather than gorge on food.

The main reason why I pegged you as a Seven is because of this statement: I feel my best actually most of the time. I'm an extremely naturally happy person. My brain makes too much dopamine or something. Like I'll drink a cup of coffee and my brain will just be orgasming in happiness. I shit you not. I just fucking live on happiness drugs all the time. I don't know why I'm so happy. But I wouldn't change it for anything.

There is no 5w6 in existence who would say this about themselves unless they were making an ironic joke. Even the healthiest of Fives would not call themselves an "extremely naturally happy person." Fives have difficulty experiencing pleasure in the average and unhealthy levels. Physical pleasure can be especially foreign to a Five because we have a hard time relating to our bodies, and we neglect our basic needs under stress. We are naturally anhedonic, not naturally happy. You might not be a Seven, but I'm completely and utterly certain that you are not a Five.

Good luck with typing yourself! Keep us updated on your discoveries!

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
I get 5-4-9 sp/sx INTX leaning J on the X.

I see a ton of 4 sentiment in your writing and expression. It bleeds through even the stoic wonderment of the 5. It is amazing to me that you are so caught between the desire/comfort of anonymity and at least the nascent realization that you should move in a direction of connection. I think you are spot on and very self-aware.

The background bitterness of the 5 and especially to me sp and sx 5 are tempered by your 9. You step up to leadership seeing it as a duty/the right thing, and that to is very 5-9 ish. You could be 1 or 9w1 or 1w9 as you have all those tendencies. Your humble arrogance is right in there somewhere.

Frankly, I love this line, 'I have never let me down' Really? That statement to me is so over the top. No regrets? Amazing. That does seem 3ish in its self-delusion. So your 4 is w3 maybe or the other poster could be right, 3w4. You do seem competitive, but its seems internally assertive rather than the normal 3ish need for image and admiration. Very cusp.

You absolutely have values. You may not prefer to recognize them as such. But your missive was wonderfully direct and consistent. I assume you are that way a lot. Refreshing. So may people are so very inconsistent. I suppose you detect that in their language as you suggest. I am a fool for fools. I dive into the inconsistency and attempt to swim. So far, I'd say your way is better, but I am a fool after all, and hope is damn well a strategy.

You have an alarming dichotomy in the reach or desire for greater connection along with the tacit semi-dismissal of morality and values and such. I think you are really looking for the intersection of those two. When you stop fighting the one, and yes you are struggling in my opinion, you will begin to experience the other. The disconnect is the observation of disconnection where there is none. Flip the script.

Reactions: aendern

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Some online descriptions of the types are excellent, but others are unhelpful at best and stereotypical at worst. Most of the online descriptions describe Sevens as people who are shallow, flighty, and extroverted: a typical party animal. The majority of Sevens have far more depth than these descriptions indicate, and introverted Sevens are not going to relate to much of what is written in them.
Yes, that's very much what I got out of the description.

After reading your original post more than once, I can't stress enough how much you do not seem like a Five. Your writing style makes it appear like your thoughts are nonlinear, which resembles the thought process of a Seven.
What would a 5 seem like?

You also mentioned that you eat excessive amounts of chocolate when you feel stressed about being late to class.
I don't think I said "excessive." Though any amount of chocolate is excessive, in my opinion. (so I agree with you, I think?)

Sevens often use food and substances to avoid feeling pain, and many of them struggle with attention deficits.
YES! I always thought it was because of Ne. And actually I still think that. I'm probably right.

Sevens are not the only type of person that can stress eat, but Fives are much more likely to not eat enough rather than gorge on food.
I don't eat enough when I'm happy (almost always). When I'm stressed, I will eat for once (something unhealthy, e.g. chocolate, too much coffee, . . . )

I definitely have teetered on the edge of accidental anorexia for most of my life.

(if you have anything that you would like me to clear up, I would be more than happy to)

The main reason why I pegged you as a Seven is because of this statement: I feel my best actually most of the time. I'm an extremely naturally happy person. My brain makes too much dopamine or something. Like I'll drink a cup of coffee and my brain will just be orgasming in happiness. I shit you not. I just fucking live on happiness drugs all the time. I don't know why I'm so happy. But I wouldn't change it for anything.

There is no 5w6 in existence who would say this about themselves unless they were making an ironic joke. Even the healthiest of Fives would not call themselves an "extremely naturally happy person." Fives have difficulty experiencing pleasure in the average and unhealthy levels. Physical pleasure can be especially foreign to a Five because we have a hard time relating to our bodies, and we neglect our basic needs under stress. We are naturally anhedonic, not naturally happy. You might not be a Seven, but I'm completely and utterly certain that you are not a Five.
Alright! Cool. I'm glad that you think so, because I've been watching videos on YouTube about enneagram and naturally I gravitated toward videos about 5s since I thought I was one. And, just like every other enneatype, there are some things I relate to and some things I don't.

The things about 5s that I don't relate to: They seem extremely nerdy. And into obscure topics and interests. It sounds very Ti to me. I can't relate at all.

They're often described as lovers of knowledge and learning. Which I can't relate to at all. Again, very Ti.

They seem very low in confidence and constantly want others' praise about how smart they are ? Which seems super odd because that sounds like tertiary Ti/Te.

edit:

The background bitterness of the 5 and especially to me sp and sx 5 are tempered by your 9. You step up to leadership seeing it as a duty/the right thing, and that to is very 5-9 ish. You could be 1 or 9w1 or 1w9 as you have all those tendencies. Your humble arrogance is right in there somewhere.
I've been struggling quite a lot to determine my instinctual variants. If you could be so kind--could you help me see how you determined that I may be sp/sx/so?

Frankly, I love this line, 'I have never let me down' Really? That statement to me is so over the top. No regrets? Amazing. That does seem 3ish in its self-delusion. So your 4 is w3 maybe or the other poster could be right, 3w4. You do seem competitive, but its seems internally assertive rather than the normal 3ish need for image and admiration. Very cusp.
Hm. I always hate it when people say things like "If I could go back in time, I wouldn't change anything, because those things are what made me who I am today." That's one of many bullshit mainstream phrases that I hate.

I have regrets, and I would change them. But I don't blame myself for my mistakes at all. Which is why I don't think I've ever let me down. Most/all of the mistakes I would change came from when I was quite young. And I didn't know any better. And I didn't have the best role models in my life teaching me right from wrong. That's why I think it's unfair to blame myself. But still I regret those things.

I agree with you that it may be a bit self-delusional. It probably is.

You absolutely have values. You may not prefer to recognize them as such.
I agree with you here. I struggle to see them as values because I don't feel strongly about them.

For example, one value I listed was being anti-meat. I used to feel strongly about that. But that passion was very short-lived. Maybe it lasted a few months at most. I still don't eat meat and may never eat meat again for the rest of my life, but I don't feel strongly about it anymore. I feel a lot more aloof to it. Very "whatever."

I started out being anti-meat because I was convinced that killing animals was cruel. But now I'm a lot less caring about that. And just don't eat meat because I don't want to--it doesn't interest me. But I don't think it's necessarily cruel, per se, anymore. (see how my morals are pretty wimpy?)

I would say I have values from a theoretical perspective. Theoretically I am very against a lot of mainstream things that we do everyday. But in practicality I'm so "whatever" about a lot of them.

I'm what one might call "a hypocrite". :)

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Sounds pretty much like 351 or 531. SP/SX or SX/SP

Strong superego, image perfection, triple competence, need for privacy

I deviate more into 5 rather than 7 because of your emphasis on being invisible, independent, and avoid being engulfed by attention and general loudness. 7s are more comfortable with exposure and physical assertion. You sound like someone who is highly intelligent and competence-oriented; you have the tendency to look down at others because you have found it easier to excel than others, however you find it difficult deal with relationships because it is very draining and troubles understanding emotion. Health-consciousness is common among SP1 (nutrition)

Ultimately I hope to be comfortable. I have no desire to be super rich. Fancy things don't interest me, really. I think I have a very individual taste that I don't need a lot of money to buy because what's expensive doesn't fit my taste, and what does fit my taste wouldn't cost enough to require a high income.
So I think all lives are equally unimportant. So my life isn't really about anything. No one's life is. I know, super deep and edgy.
Type 5 minimalism and independence. You seem concise and articulate and there is a hint of nihilism.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Is that even a legal tritype?

It looks like those numbers can't be canon.
Whoops, I meant the one where you take a type from the head, gut and heart categories. I've had a long day...
I was wondering if you could elaborate on this? I think I misunderstand what a tritype is. Because this person had the same opinion:

Sounds pretty much like 351 or 531. SP/SX or SX/SP

Strong superego, image perfection, triple competence, need for privacy

I deviate more into 5 rather than 7 because of your emphasis on being invisible, independent, and avoid being engulfed by attention and general loudness. 7s are more comfortable with exposure and physical assertion. You sound like someone who is highly intelligent and competence-oriented; you have the tendency to look down at others because you have found it easier to excel than others, however you find it difficult deal with relationships because it is very draining and troubles understanding emotion. Health-consciousness is common among SP1 (nutrition)

Type 5 minimalism and independence. You seem concise and articulate and there is a hint of nihilism.
I completely agree with you that I'm not a 7. I think 7 couldn't be more opposite of me.

Also I find it very surprising that you see me as sp/sx or sx/sp when I thought I was clearly sx-last.

So maybe it's that I just don't understand the instinctual subtypes (that wouldn't surprise me at all :laughing:).

I have many times before--and still continue to admit--to not identifying with any of the variants.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
I've been struggling quite a lot to determine my instinctual variants. If you could be so kind--could you help me see how you determined that I may be sp/sx/so?
Sure. You are free with the word hate. That is sx talking and it talks with what I like to call dread certainty. A dead giveaway, one sx to another.

Denial of need and passion is sp in nature. You and your writing is riddled with it. These issues confront you and give rise to at least a slight inner disgust. How dare you have to suffer need! Very sp. Distancing oneself from need and attempting to stand alone in the face of others especially is sp and that is even more common than your sx verbiage.

The fact that you are still strong enough to observe your own - issues - with connection is amazing. Being uncomfortable about recognition in the wider social sense is understandable so I will not dwell on this. Let's just say that you are not zero so essence either, healthy. I fail to detect any sp in myself as an example and it frightens me. I am happy to fail utterly inviting ruin and death upon myself for my values. I'd love to see the same percentage of sp creep into my stacking as you have so. So far, no luck. I'd make a fine ancient Greek, but so far a crappy American. A source of both pride and panic.

Hm. I always hate it when people say things like "If I could go back in time, I wouldn't change anything, because those things are what made me who I am today." That's one of many bullshit mainstream phrases that I hate.

I have regrets, and I would change them. But I don't blame myself for my mistakes at all. Which is why I don't think I've ever let me down. Most/all of the mistakes I would change came from when I was quite young. And I didn't know any better. And I didn't have the best role models in my life teaching me right from wrong. That's why I think it's unfair to blame myself. But still I regret those things.

I agree with you that it may be a bit self-delusional. It probably is.
We are very similar here. I am glad you clarified. Also not hating myself, I rather enjoy both my successes and failures. A thing the type 3 culture in this world simply cannot understand or embrace (yet).

I also transcended my upbringing with an almost reckless desire to learn. And I did it with the challenging bravado of an 8 which means I am very lucky to be alive. I had a lot of stress along the way though, so I moved to 5 a lot. Boy did I. Probably saved me.

I agree with you here. I struggle to see them as values because I don't feel strongly about them.

For example, one value I listed was being anti-meat. I used to feel strongly about that. But that passion was very short-lived. Maybe it lasted a few months at most. I still don't eat meat and may never eat meat again for the rest of my life, but I don't feel strongly about it anymore. I feel a lot more aloof to it. Very "whatever."

I started out being anti-meat because I was convinced that killing animals was cruel. But now I'm a lot less caring about that. And just don't eat meat because I don't want to--it doesn't interest me. But I don't think it's necessarily cruel, per se, anymore. (see how my morals are pretty wimpy?)

I would say I have values from a theoretical perspective. Theoretically I am very against a lot of mainstream things that we do everyday. But in practicality I'm so "whatever" about a lot of them.

I'm what one might call "a hypocrite". :)
The whatever attitude is fine. It is certainly NOT hypocrisy. Hypocrisy is to tout a moral and then behave controppostitely. What you are referring to is the tidal flow of passion back to compassion. The empty love can acknowledge any fact and yet feel almost a boredom for it. Truth is often that way, without fire. Only near the moment of realization is passion kindled for it. Once past it, it takes on a more solid and necessarily boring quality. It is integrated. That is great. But nuances can be discovered and the flame of passion for any aspect of moral truth revisited. A true violation of that truth can also bring back the fire of passion suddenly, even in a quiescent mind. Hell, if we all held morals passionately all the time we'd stroke out. You're also part 9 in my estimation and 9s are big fans of resting anger, inner calm. Sometimes I wish I was more 9, but I hold the place I have to. So be it.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I found this website about the tritypes (head/heart/body). Which is nice because I didn't know about this before.
https://waysofwisdom.wordpress.com/2013/12/04/enneagram-tritypes/

So apparently these are the categories:

Heart

Head

Body

So, just going through the lineup (as the types are described on that link), I would rule out types 2, 6, 7, and 8. Those are ones I just do not identify with even a little bit.

I identify with some aspects of both 3 and 4. Although I have seen 4-dominants on YouTube whom I would describe as very different from myself. But those were 4 dominants. :/ So that's not helpful.

I'm going to just copy the descriptions from those two types (from that link) and go through them and mark them up:

Type 3
Type 3 is the type that is numb when it comes to emotions. They are completely out of touch with them. Action-oriented, they strive for success. They are hence known as The Performer or The Winner. Efficient and driven, they want to achieve their goals. They are self-assured and extremely ambitious. They feel that they need to produce and achieve something in order to be loved, sometimes deceiving themselves that they have made it in the world. A blind spot can be that they are narcissistic or hostile, thinking they are a real success. In the course of their life, type 3 can mimic qualities of type 2, 4, 6 and 9. Perhaps this could be a very unhealthy me, but it certainly isn't a dominant way that I would behave--and ya it seems way more success-thinking than I feel that I am. I don't think I would ever refer to myself as "extremely ambitious." Perhaps from a third-person perspective someone could fool themselves into thinking I was ambitious. I guess I could see how someone could think that objectively. If you compared me to my peers (that's laughable), yes I could see the argument for my supposed-ambition. The term ambition very much throws me off because I immediately think of a go-getter ExTJ who is very active and mobile and gets shite done. This could not be less like me. Maybe I think about getting things done, but I don't actually do it like the ExTJs do.

Type 4
Type 4 is the type that under-expresses their emotions, keeping them inside themselves in order to analyse them, thus being withdrawn. They are known as The Individualist because they want to be different; they seek to be special. Again, this would not be a dominant way that I would be. Another name is The Deep-sea Diver, because they look for meaning in their life, themselves and their emotions. I see no meaning in anyone's life, so I'm conflicted here. And that's not an unhealthy version of me talking. That's normal me. They are intuitive and have a knack for creativity. I don't view myself as creative, but :) if you say so They feel that they need to be unique to avoid being ignored. I do identify with that to some extent. A blind spot is their envy that follows when others have found a better life than themselves. They can also appear sad or self-absorbed because of their sensitivity to emotions. In the course of their life, type 4 can mimic qualities of type 1, 2, 3 and 5. I'm ambivalent on the last part.

Type 9 and Type 1:

Type 9
Type 9 is the type that is numb to the acting that’s so typical of the gut centre. They feel that they have to go with the flow instead. I identify with that. Because they see and understand what motivates others, they have no desire to rock against the boat. They are often called The Peacemaker or The Mediator. They aspire to be peaceful, calm, easygoing and content. I think these are definitely aspirations that I have. You might know one of them, with their popular phrase “I don’t mind, it doesn’t bother me”. Yes. They are incredibly reassuring, appearing to live to go along with others instead of having their own opinions. I think in-person I very much try to be like this. A blind spot is that they might become lazy, procrastinating and neglectful. Definitely not. I'm very visually-capable when it comes to my laziness and procrastination. I know that I am those things. That's much more me than the type 3 is. Maybe 3 last if 3 at all? In the course of their life, type 9 can mimic qualities of type 1, 3, 6 and 8.

Type 1
Type 1 is the type that under-expresses their acting, keeping their desired way of acting inside themselves, making an internal library of what is good and bad. I definitely try to tone down my actual personality around others. Idealistic and perfectionistic in every way, they are called The Reformer or The Perfectionist. They know very well what they feel is the perfect, ethically right way to act. Typically, the ones are principled and orderly and want to improve themselves and others. When this doesn’t work, they tend to become angry, despite thinking that they absolutely shouldn’t. Another blind spot is that they are so perfectionistic that they become critical and self-righteous, believing that they know the right way. In the course of their life, type 1 can mimic qualities of type 2, 4, 7 and 9. This sounds like a very unhealthy me.

Reactions: series0

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
The Fauvres claim to have invented the tritype mechanism although I find it rather a natural progression of enneagram discussions and there are claims that the distinction was underscored in earlier works of enneagram pioneers like Naranjo.

Still they are fun and detailed in their own way about things related to the enneagram - here is their site - Enneagram Explorations

Since you are a 5 I also like the no frills info dump of this wonderful site and the two together are just marvelous -
Enneagram Institute.

I will also mention that for me at least, functionally, knowing how people think is great and all, but, motivation is amazingly useful. It can predict behavior very well and allow you great insight into why people are doing what they are and what they will do next.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
I was wondering if you could elaborate on this? I think I misunderstand what a tritype is. Because this person had the same opinion.
Well, if I was right in calling that a tritype, it's the list of each type you most strongly relate to out of head, heart and gut centres (i.e. gut is 8, 9, 1; head is 5, 6, 7; heart is 2, 3, 4). Each centre has a preoccupation, so for example, the fixation of the gut centre is with anger as 8 overuses it, 1 represses it and 9 avoids it (head = anxiety, heart = shame). There are a few articles floating around that could probably explain it a lot more effectively than me.

So, basically, saying your tritype is 3, 1 and 5 means that you'd relate to each of those from the three centres, but for me, it's difficult to say exactly which one is the strongest influence.

Would you say you're more preoccupied with anger (repressing it - i.e. you try to act like you don't feel the negative emotion of anger), shame (overusing it - i.e. needing to be shown you're worthwhile) or anxiety (avoiding it - i.e. becoming so prepared for events etc. and so knowledgeable, you no longer have to feel anxious)?

ETA: triad is the one which is the integration/disintegration thing, I think.

·
Registered
ILI
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Opening this can of worms again because I watched this

and it changed a lot of my perspectives.

After watching this, I would rule out 1-4 right off the bat.

5 is plausible (it's what I currently identify as).

Then it's completely changed my perspective on type 6. I actually identify with some of the things he said. 6 is plausible.

7 rule out really easily.

8 seemed like me as well.

9, I identified as a 9 in my tritype, but after watching this he made me identify with it less.

So that means I don't identify with any heart types (2,3,4). So how can I have a tritype then?

I wonder if I might be a 5w6 instead of a 5w4? Or even a 6w5?

I know resources exist out there that go in detail on this, but I've tried reading through them before and it was just so painfully boring and long and dreadful. I would love if someone could give me a quick-and-dirty explanation.

[hr][/hr]

I watched this video, as well, and it made me certain I'm not a love type. Very certain.

And he didn't describe control types at all (I assume those would be "body" types), so I can't say if I relate to them since, again, he didn't describe them.

He didn't describe security types either, so all I can say now is that I assume I'm probably a security type.

Reactions: Pressed Flowers
1 - 20 of 29 Posts