Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I constantly re-check and edit my posts/letters/emails when writing them. Is this an INFP thing? I like to make sure I've written exactly what I meant to say, so often I will go back and re-read it and add a little here and change a word there. I mentioned this once to a friend and he said he never does that (not sure which personality type he is, but not an INFP). I thought maybe it was just me, but then it occurred to me that this would be the perfect place to ask other INFP's about it! Is this something you do too?

·
Registered
957 Posts
I do this all the time with everything I do. I always edit emails, texts, posts, etc. I always thought it had to do with me being an English major or just Obsessive Compulsive, but maybe it's an INFP thing?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do this all the time with everything I do. I always edit emails, texts, posts, etc. I always thought it had to do with me being an English major or just Obsessive Compulsive, but maybe it's an INFP thing?
Lol - good to know. I too (almost was an) English major and figured it probably was something to do w/ my writing tendencies. Maybe it's both? Actually INFP's tend to be writers so... that adds another layer of intrigue to the mix. ;P

·
Registered
815 Posts
I do it also. I will literally read over my post 3-5 times. I will then post and read over my post again (and am very likely to edit it).

·
Maid of Time
14,748 Posts
I constantly edit as I go.

I'm also one of those annoying people who, when I post, you should always wait about 5 minutes before responding, because I'll invariably edit quite a bit within my post after it's up. :blushed:

So no, it's not just INFPs, but I think there's a tendency for INxP's to be that way. It's the NP thing. Big picture, open-ended, and you are "exploring" the idea as you go so you don't even know what you'll find as you write, but you will then see how to change the first part to fit with the discoveries you make. I think ENPs are much more apt to plow through things without thinking about going back and editing, it's an extroverted mode (because in extroverted conversation, you cannot edit, you just make the next thing you say fit with the last); I think it's a more typical I mode of communication to polish something up before sharing it, we typically like to get our ideas in order before saying them.

Reactions: Catfish and agv

·
Registered
254 Posts
I do this too. One word: Perfectionism. :crazy:

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think there's two things at work here... one's the whole 'perfectionist' aspect of our type, the other is that in general, we love using words. That was the first thing that I clicked with when finding out I was an INFP... we love that stuff :happy:

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
No no...I do that too haha
I never really look over my posts before I submit them...the only way I'll catch a mistake of some sort is if I happen to glance and see it...Then usually after I submit posts, I think of other things to say or I think of ways to change it or something -_-
I usually edit them A LOT...but people sometimes get irritated with me lol

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yeah same.. I edit mine so many times x.x And then sometimes I just get stuck. XD;

Reactions: HeyGirl

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I do that almost too much. :confused: for some reason i have trouble proofreading something unless i've already posted it.

and i just hit edit to add that last sentence. and this one.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
And then sometimes I get uncomfortable about the things I submit...I'm trying to make myself more like an ENTP though...if someone has a problem with what they post for any reason, it's that person's fault lol
I don't want to be completely like that...but just a little more like that so I can make myself comfortable with expressing myself :p

·
Registered
190 Posts
Oh heck, you sure aren't the only one of us to do that! Amongst my online friends, I am the famed tl;dr (too long; didn't read) writer, because I am afraid what I am trying to say will not come off correctly unless I write out absolutely everything on my mind. I quadruple check everything and reread what I say so many times. I preview posts before making them, and even after I've read a post and its been up for ages with responses and no problems, I still sometimes read over just because it makes me feel better.

Mistakes? Surely you jest!

Reactions: agv

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can definitely relate - texts, emails, posts I have to re-read and edit over and over. Sometime I have to force myself to press send/post otherwise it just gets ridiculous. I also tend to go into my sent items and re-read it again (especially text messages) if I'm in a really pedantic mood...I'm such a weirdo..

·
Registered
648 Posts
I edit my posts before and after I post xD
Also, some times if I can't figure out what I'm trying to say, I'll write for like 20 minutes and then delete it. >_<

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
It's the NP thing. Big picture, open-ended, and you are "exploring" the idea as you go so you don't even know what you'll find as you write, but you will then see how to change the first part to fit with the discoveries you make. .... I think it's a more typical I mode of communication to polish something up before sharing it, we typically like to get our ideas in order before saying them.
This is so true. I'm write to figure out what I think. Sometimes by the end of the paragraph or page, I've learned something new so I go back to the beginning to make a more cohesive thought to someone reading it. And as someone else said in here... sometimes after I write a whole bunch, edit a whole bunch, and finally figure out what I wanted to say, I end up just deleting the whole thing b/c I've figured out whatever it was that my question was in the first place just by talking it out w/ myself. Lol.

But yeah, I totally write, edit, write, re-edit, post, then go back and edit what I've posted! It drives me nuts when forums don't have an editing ability after I've posted. Especially if I've made a typo, it totally drives me nuts! I'm sure that a lot of this, too, is our perfectionism coming out. :tongue:

·
Premium Member
15,242 Posts
Sometimes I'll write 2-3 paragraphs worth, read it over...and then just not post it at all. :blushed:
lol... I swear to God I do this all the time. I'm guessing I have about 500 posts I've written but never posted. Um. *cough* if I had posted some of those I'd probably be banned by now.

Also about the editing - I'll post without reading - post it - read it - find misspelled words and hit edit 400 times. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
on the occasion that i actually post it, yep. but i usually just edit it and edit it and edit it and then never end up posting anyway

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
lol... I swear to God I do this all the time. I'm guessing I have about 500 posts I've written but never posted. Um. *cough* if I had posted some of those I'd probably be banned by now.

Also about the editing - I'll post without reading - post it - read it - find misspelled words and hit edit 400 times. :crazy:
damn INFP perfectionism keeping us from ignoring spelling mistakes.

don't be too judgmental of your own thoughts. if you have them, say them. screw what anyone else here might say.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
i always have the impulse to "improve" more and more on my writings, like grade 8-9 i didn't finish things because of that, i can mostly resist the impulse now

Reactions: agv
1 - 20 of 67 Posts