Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Whoah, sorry! Long post! I always have a lot to say!
I'm still pretty new here; I only have 100 or so posts, but have you ever thought in your head "Wow, she sounds more like an extravert to me."? Have you thought of me as any other type other than the INFP?

The thought has been nagging me recently that I may not really be what I always thought myself to be. It occured to me last night reading the ENFP description. It's really as dead accurate for me as the INFP description. But hehe, working online IS my most comfortable mode of expression, but when it comes to being articulate in real life? Forgeddaboudit!

I used to hate the prospect of having all eyes on me (ie: like those scenes of women walking downstairs wearing a beautiful dress with everyone expecting her. Yuck.) but now I get to thinking: So long as I lay on the charm and talk a lot to take everyone's attention off of my physical appearance and more on my personality, I'd be okay with it. I hate being shy about my appearance; I have a vendetta against it. =O

Actually, I hate just being shy. That feeling of being too shy. How stifling! I put an end to it whenever I can.
When I was a child, I wanted everyone to know who I was. When the teacher would ask each child to write down what he/she wanted to be, I would get intensely excited and planned my answer thoughtfully. I wanted to tell everyone "Hey, I like this and I am this way! All the girls like pink, but I like black!"
There was no way in hell I would ever say that aloud to anyone who didn't ask me first, and even then, I would choke up and go blank. I just wanted people to like me and ask me to play. Actually being called on to speak was my worst fear. I would count to see how many children were in front of me left to answer so that I could rehearse what I wanted to say. Didn't matter. I'd still stutter and feel silly. I guess this sounds a lot like an INFP child? =)

I always fit the INFP description back in the day. Everyone was out to get me because I got teased a lot, and I always clung onto the very few friends I had. Now my close friends go through my evaluation system often. But does an ENFP do and act the same? I realize that this a relaxed generalization, but I read that ENFPs kinda skip from friend to friend if the new friend possesses a more interesting outlook. I do, too! But I'll never leave you alone if I deem you a CLOSE friend, I'm fighting like hell for you- harder than you may fight for me. I have a VERY hard time letting go of old friends. I want to keep going back and salvage the past... A blessing and a curse, indeed.

I force myself not to cower from any sense of duty or any conflict/fears I need to face, and appreciate anger and conflict and think they're very necessary emotions. But I force myself so much to be social that it comes more naturally to me now. I say hello to people in the workplace more often, (and even to random strangers out of the blue when I may not deem it necessary to do so). Perhaps it is a phase that I may be able to fall back on?

When I think about it, am I just an INFP who is extremely accommodating to extraverts? Half of my family are extraverts, and now ALL of my friends are extraverts, too. They move at a pace I am comfortable with. I never had many to boot, but my real life introverted friends found that they couldn't handle my fearlessness of confrontation to seek the truth.
If my entire family left me alone for a day; it would be kinda nice... I can imagine that I would find some sort of muse to hold onto and be perfectly happy for 24 hours, then go insane from the loneliness afterward. Is it because I am so used to always having someone around? If I am by myself too much, I feel this horrible, guilty, gut wrenching feeling that I am pushing away my extraverted friends/family who demand so much of me. I don't want to lose that closeness, even a tiny bit... I must maintain the friendship. Does this sound more INFP or ENFP? Both?

Does it matter that I jump around while working on something? Like this sentence. I will likely stop after this sentence and work on maybe the introduction. I have to write it down as soon as it comes to my head or I will forget instantly. That's probably Te, right? Is it a more or less developed Te?

I'm intensely perfectionist. I take longer than any of my bona-fide extraverted friends to do something. And it's true that I rarely give myself credit for the things that I know I do extraordinarily, and have this extreme control problem while in groups (if the group writes something down on paper and asks me to present it to the class, I'm going to say it the exact way I would've written it). That's fits me the most of the INFP description. xD

But yet... I can't stick to something for very long if it isn't giving me the reassurance and comfort that I need. I mean, I last longer than a day, but when something new comes along that gives me more praise and makes me feel more valued; bye bye.
And then I become intensely perfectionist with the next thing, and the next... and then come back to the first thing. I always come back. But wherever I am, I have no problems telling everyone about my secrets, life, how I feel, etc... everything! Everything has to come out and I want people to know! It feels so good! I don't bottle anything up and it's, occasionally, coupled with this innate desire to burst out screaming jabberwocky. Eyehole stud for the strait in the eight cents of the other sordid Yanks beneath me. Do moderately introverted INFPs ever have this desire at all?

I guess I'm mostly convinced that I'm INFP, but I can't help but feel changed because of my circumstances. I honestly think that I have, temporarily, become part INFP, part ENFP, until I hit a more quiet, calm stage in my life. Please, I appreciate any and all input. =)

Your type is: INFP
Introverted (I) 57.14% Extroverted (E) 42.86%
Intuitive (N) 68.75% Sensing (S) 31.25%
Feeling (F) 59.46% Thinking (T) 40.54%
Perceiving (P) 68.42% Judging (J) 31.58%

Thanks for reading this long thing. =)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
er, i dunno...haha. i can relate to most of your things, except for the expressing all your feelings/secrets/etc. that is very un-INFP as we are notably bad at verbally expressing our feelings.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You could take a look at the individual cognitive functions to figure this out. First thing would be to ask yourself whether you are more F or more N. Then look at something like http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/24032-intro-function-theory-more-detailed-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html and see whether you relate more to Ne or Fi.

The difference in functions between ENFP and INFP are:
ENFP - Ne,Fi,Te,Si
INFP - Fi,Ne,Si,Te
And the order is significant - your first and fourth position normally stand out as most and least preferred of the four.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Understand your situation.

Hey, brand new to this site, this is my first post.

I was introduced to to personality tests and strenghtfinding last year and started to really dive into it. When I first tested I was INFP and later I tested ENFP. I reflected on in and found that I scored depending on other things going on in my life. I was recently diagnosed with pretty high level ADHD and delt with a lot of self doubt and teasing when I was in school. Durring that time I was definitely INFP. As I delt with life and began to find myself I became more outgoing. The more self assure I was the more ENFP I was. I eventually entered into the ministry and struggled. That is when I took my first test and it came out INFP. I used my personality as an excuse as to why I was struggling in the ministry, I just did not have the extroverted personality type to deal with a bunch of different relationships. However, I figured out that my struggles where with my concepts of the church and faith and since I have resigned and began to do some self discovery, I have definitely moved to the ENFP side, it is my insecurities that tend to push me back to INFP.

Thats just my insights, hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
You cannot be both. I agree with penchant: look at the order of the cognitive functions. If you absolutely can't decide between Ne and Fi, choose which of the tert functions (Si for INFP or Te for ENFP) you can or can't relate to.
Does it matter that I jump around while working on something? Like this sentence. I will likely stop after this sentence and work on maybe the introduction. I have to write it down as soon as it comes to my head or I will forget instantly. That's probably Te, right? Is it a more or less developed Te?
Umm... I don't think that's Te. I'm not sure that has to do w/ cognitive functions: it's likely a short attention span . =P

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Hey, brand new to this site, this is my first post.

I was introduced to to personality tests and strenghtfinding last year and started to really dive into it. When I first tested I was INFP and later I tested ENFP. I reflected on in and found that I scored depending on other things going on in my life. I was recently diagnosed with pretty high level ADHD and delt with a lot of self doubt and teasing when I was in school. Durring that time I was definitely INFP. As I delt with life and began to find myself I became more outgoing. The more self assure I was the more ENFP I was. I eventually entered into the ministry and struggled. That is when I took my first test and it came out INFP. I used my personality as an excuse as to why I was struggling in the ministry, I just did not have the extroverted personality type to deal with a bunch of different relationships. However, I figured out that my struggles where with my concepts of the church and faith and since I have resigned and began to do some self discovery, I have definitely moved to the ENFP side, it is my insecurities that tend to push me back to INFP.

Thats just my insights, hope it helps.
I agree we are Ambiverts, because its not uncommon for ENFP to turn inwards, often. Although our core can't be both, it has to be one or the other. Just though i would mention this as we ENFP have had many talks in regards to our often introverted moods. So yeah, you can be an ENFP and feel very introverted. Its all good, hope this helps :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
...and NO.. i am NOT religious.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Both ENFP and INFP are who I am. I feel people who fall along the Xs tend to be well rounded. I have a father and son who are XXXX. There are days where I really want to be the INFP top of the world writer, and days where I want to be the ENFP skydiving through in the sunshine. Im just glad that I am more ENFP when it comes to happiness and never feeling down. I know the NTs are suppose to be our stronger relationship type according to some things I have read, but I would be happiest finding another NF to spend the rest of my life with, particularly another INFP. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I sometimes test as ENFP and sometimes as INFP, so it is difficult for me to know which one I am for sure. I was shy as a child however once I hit the age of 14 I became very extroverted / outgoing / sociable. I can go for long periods of time alone with my thoughts, however when I am around people I am very talkative and like to be the 'entertainer' so to speak, if people are having a discussion I always chime in and like to be in on the action. So is it possible to be introverted whilst alone and extroverted in the company of others? I can't even fathom being quiet around others. I see other people do it, particularly in work situations and it is so confusing to me that they ignore what is going on and don't contribute? I guess everyone is different. Whenever I tell people that I test as an introvert, a total look of bewilderment comes over them and they say "that is not even possible"...hahaha, but I think I do have an introverted side given I am always daydreaming inside my own head and can easily draw energy from being alone like an introvert does and even though I enjoy alone time, I don't need a lot of it, nor do I need a lot of social interaction with others. My extroverted side comes out around others, as I notice that when I am in the company of others, then all my energy is external and I almost 'feed' off the energy of the people I am with. So I believe I am a true ambivert, equally extroverted and introverted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Recognizing The Inferior Function

I know what you mean with the feeling extroverted and introverted sometimes. As far as I'm concerned, that's us changing the function we are using, not changing our type. What I mean is that if you are an INFP, the you are Fi, Ne, Si, Te. So, you have this massive Introverted Feeling to conquer all the bad dudes and smash things and stuff. You also have Extroverted Intuition, which guides and helps your big massive Introverted Feeling to beat the bad dudes up and smash the stuff and things. So having this Introverted side and this Extroverted side allows us to appear as the embodiment of these functions.

This causes quite a dilemma because people are always then questioning themselves about which type they are because they've use their auxiliary once in an argument or something and thus appear to be, not an Introvert but in fact, an Extrovert. Aha! So people can't decide, they get all confused and it's not a fun thing.

I'm still pretty new here; I only have 100 or so posts, but have you ever thought in your head "Wow, she sounds more like an extravert to me."? Have you thought of me as any other type other than the INFP?
Oh dear. Strangers do not know you and behaviours don't identify your reasoning, they identify your actions. Actions come after the cognition. So studying cognitive functions by analysing behaviour isn't completely full-proof. Also it's very difficult to see someone as an Extrovert over the internet when you don't know the environment they are writing in.

Anyway, the best way to tell what type you are (at least so I'm told) is to reading about what things really annoy you and why when you are stressed. Now I know I was talking about how behaviours don't show cognition, however, we're talking about why things annoy you when you are stressed, it gives examples but not necessarily exactly what annoys you or stresses your body.

INFP - Fi-Ne-Si-Te
ENFP- Ne-Fi-Te-Si

http://personalitycafe.com/infp-articles/76770-recognizing-inferior-function-ifps.html Inferior Te
http://personalitycafe.com/enfp-articles/76803-recognizing-inferior-function-enfps.html Inferior Si

EDIT- Also this:

One of the more common quandaries is the difference between ENFP and INFP. Often there are such misconceptions such as those that reduce the difference down to mere sociability. Due to temperamental similarities ENFPs may also have a hard time distinguishing themselves from ENFJs. Using a bottom-up approach, we can quickly pinpoint a type by examining the inferior function, which is often easier to determine than the dominant, especially in intuitives. ENPs share Introverted Sensing as the Inferior Function and when compared to Extraverted Thinking (Te) in INFPs or Introverted Thinking (Ti) in ENFJs the differences become very pronounced.
Another thing, the idea of an ambivert is really someone who has developed an Introverted function and an Extroverted function to the point of seemingly equal levels so can be deceiving. This can mislead people to believing that they have no set type, which doesn't work in the system. Of course being a pseudoscience, that could be the case. I don't have evidence that we never change type, but nobody has evidence of the opposite either, and the system feels comfy and nice, so let's just assume it's true if that's cool? Is that cool? I think it's cool.

If my entire family left me alone for a day; it would be kinda nice... I can imagine that I would find some sort of muse to hold onto and be perfectly happy for 24 hours, then go insane from the loneliness afterward. Is it because I am so used to always having someone around? If I am by myself too much, I feel this horrible, guilty, gut wrenching feeling that I am pushing away my extraverted friends/family who demand so much of me. I don't want to lose that closeness, even a tiny bit... I must maintain the friendship. Does this sound more INFP or ENFP? Both?
Now I was thinking at first,

"This seems very extroverted.."

By then I started to consider why it may not be the case. So I will give evidence using my understanding of the functions to show that both could be true. Here goes... Hold me.

An extrovert, I've heard, loves people and talking to people and engaging in conversation, this may more not be true. Now being an Ne user, you have these intuitions which are based on the outside world. For instance, talking to someone or seeing something can spark of some sort of imaginary tale about said object or words. It could also remind you of subjective memories, Si. Nostalgia. How good that time was and how great that time with the dudes and the smash? That was great right? All because you seen a picture on your fridge or someone was talking about daffodils. This gets your memory and imagination going. Which takes place in your brain. Not your mouth. This makes you appear more introverted. So you'll always be chasing some new idea and that's a reason you might forget something and have to write it down before you forget it. Because as you are writing stuff down, you're mind is jumping continually on to the next thing that could come after it. I do this all the time, except I don't write it down and it becomes lost to the void. This has also been related to Dominant or Auxiliary Intuitives having difficulty with sensory information because it is weaker perceiving function. But anyway, the whole being OK for 24 hours and then going insane seems very much like you've ran out stimulation for your Ne. Which, if it was a dominant function would have Fi as it's guide, looking for friendships to hold on to.

And now for the Introvert thing... goddamn.

If Fi was your dominant, you have your own values that you cherish and hold dearly to your heart. You seem to value friendship very much and the company of friends may be something very important to you. So no social contact may actually very draining on this particular introvert. You say you have this guilty gut wrenching feeling that you are pushing your friends away. This emphasises the whole friendship value thing. You don't want to lose that closeness.

Ok, so not as much as I thought I had for the introvert thing. It seems very one sided... and it has to be right? I might have gotten the wrong one though and been dumb.

Regardless!! You should read those articles and try and Identify yourself with which sounds the most like your reasoning. Hope I've not been dumb and wrong, although I could be! Good luck with your life and God Speed.

Eyehole stud for the strait in the eight cents of the other sordid Yanks beneath me.
Don't get me started...

·
Registered
308 Posts
"Hey guys! Whoah, sorry! Long post! I always have a lot to say!
I'm still pretty new here; I only have 100 or so posts, but have you ever thought in your head "Wow, she sounds more like an extravert to me."? Have you thought of me as any other type other than the INFP?(...) "

Fuck yeah! It's my life.

I'm a fucking paradox.

I'm not that crazy after all.

You're intrivert, but people think you're extravert.
You're unhappy, but people think you're a happy person.
You're pessimist, but people think you're an optimist.
You're driven by emotion, and are very dramatic, still, can be very rational sometimes. Or vice-versa.

It's tiresome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts