Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Definitions of Ambivert on the Web (By Google):

•The trait of extraversion-introversion is a central dimension of human personality. Extraverts (also spelled extroverts) tend to be gregarious, assertive, and interested in seeking out excitement. Introverts, in contrast, tend to be more reserved, less outgoing, and less sociable. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambivert

•A person who is neither clearly extroverted nor introverted, but has characteristics of each
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ambivert

•ambiversion - (psychology) a balanced disposition intermediate between extroversion and introversion
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

•ambiversion - is a term used to describe people who fall more or less directly in the middle and exhibit tendencies of both groups. [2] [7] An ambivert is normally comfortable with groups and enjoys social interaction, but also relishes time alone and away from the crowd.
india.smashits.com/wikipedia/Extraversion_and_Introversion

1. I LOVE spending time with old/current friends, but I also LOVE getting to know new people.
  2. I am quiet around strangers, but once I warm up to you... Watch out! :O I am known as "the crazy chick" by people who know me personally. XD
  3. I spend equal amounts of time alone, as well as with my family or friends. Too much time alone = Boredom and painful loneliness. Too much time with others = Drained out.
  4. I can't seem to perfectly "get" people who are very introverted or extroverted. I seem to talk more than the average introvert.
  5. I dislike big groups and don't understand it, but I love medium-sized groups. (No more than 5-6 people.)
  6. I love both watching movies and reading books... So beat that. :p
Anyone else feel this way? I very much am a good example of INFPs, but I also mislabel myself as an ENFP sometimes. (I even score as an ENFP in some online tests and INFPs in others.)

Do ambiverts truly exist in the wild? :)

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used to think I was one, but I think it just means I'm a more well-practiced social introvert that's not afraid to come out of the woodwork.
I think that's a pretty good definition of an ambivert, BUT! What ever floats your boat. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
According to Jung and the MBTI theory there is no such thing as a true ambivert.

As for your definitions:

I LOVE spending time with old/current friends, but I also LOVE getting to know new people. check
I am quiet around strangers, but once I warm up to you... Watch out! :O I am known as "the crazy chick" by people who know me personally. XD check
I spend equal amounts of time alone, as well as with my family or friends. Too much time alone = Boredom and painful loneliness. Too much time with others = Drained out. check
I can't seem to perfectly "get" people who are very introverted or extroverted. I seem to talk more than the average introvert. check
I dislike big groups and don't understand it, but I love medium-sized groups. (No more than 5-6 people.) check
I love both watching movies and reading books... So beat that. :p check

So, I'm not very sure what you're trying to get at here. I think any well-balanced person would fit the "neither-in-excess" definition...

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to Jung and the MBTI theory there is no such thing as a true ambivert.
It's hard to get an exact 50% of being an extrovert and an exact 50% of being an introvert, I agree; You'll lean one way or the other, naturally... But, I'm still somewhere in the middle of the both extremes. Some extroverts share maybe one or two things with an introvert (shy around strangers, but still have the rest of the extroverted traits.) but are still very extroverted. I am basically 50% introvert and 40% extrovert.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
My e/i seems my most balanced.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It's hard to get an exact 50% of being an extrovert and an exact 50% of being an introvert, I agree; You'll lean one way or the other, naturally... But, I'm still somewhere in the middle of the both extremes. Some extroverts share maybe one or two things with an introvert (shy around strangers, but still have the rest of the extroverted traits.) but are still very extroverted. I am basically 50% introvert and 40% extrovert.
I'm really very bad at expressing myself today... Sorry.

What I should have written in my post was that behaviour does not constitute being an Introvert or an Extravert per se. An introvert may very well be more outgoing than an extravert. Being typed introvert or extravert is about your cognitive preferences. You are, according to Jung and MBTI, either one or the other. Your behaviour on the other hand will be more introspective or more outgoing depending on context and is influenced by your type as well as other circumstances. If you are a well-balanced person, you would be able to adapt your behaviour to fit the norms of your society , regardless of your MBTI type.

I'm probably going off in a tangent here, and don't feel very helpful, but I wanted to point out the difference between the technical MBTI definition of Introvert/Extravert and the more loose general use of the words. Not everyone sees that distinction, and mistype themselves because of it.

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I'm definitely Ne dominant, so in that, I would not doubt my extroversion. Ti>Ne is much different than Ne>Ti.
That being said, I always score right in the middle on E/I on MBTI tests leaning a bit more to the I side. It's that I sometimes like to stay on my own, but in the right times, I enjoy being around others and doing things together.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
My e/i seems my most balanced.
Me too!

For those saying this doesn't fit into MBTI and Jung theory...well, just keep in mind that MBTI is extremely outdated and that many of the theories held by the creators of MBTI have been proven to be wrong.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Me too!

For those saying this doesn't fit into MBTI and Jung theory...well, just keep in mind that MBTI is extremely outdated and that many of the theories held by the creators of MBTI have been proven to be wrong.
Yes, but what the other people have been saying is that you are basing your judgment of what an ambivert is is wrong. Behavior can give clues as to what you are, but being more outgoing or more quiet does not mean you are an introvert or an extrovert, so the same should be applied to ambiversion. You are trying to say that because I am able to be outgoing with strangers and enjoy meeting said strangers, even when I know for a fact that I get my energy from being alone and I am definitely more introspective than extrospective which means that I am an introvert.

TL;DR: Behavior does not prove ambiversion. It just proves you have developed yourself to be a balanced individual.

Reactions: penchant and Vaka

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, but what the other people have been saying is that you are basing your judgment of what an ambivert is is wrong. Behavior can give clues as to what you are, but being more outgoing or more quiet does not mean you are an introvert or an extrovert, so the same should be applied to ambiversion. You are trying to say that because I am able to be outgoing with strangers and enjoy meeting said strangers, even when I know for a fact that I get my energy from being alone and I am definitely more introspective than extrospective which means that I am an introvert.

TL;DR: Behavior does not prove ambiversion. It just proves you have developed yourself to be a balanced individual.
Makes sense. Ah well, nothing wrong with being an introvert. ^^

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
on tests that only measure Inrtroversion and extraversion i do test as an amibivert, leaning slightly to the I side of it. I recall reading on the ennegram forum the Type 6 is considered to be an Ambiverted type

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
on tests that only measure Inrtroversion and extraversion i do test as an amibivert, leaning slightly to the I side of it. I recall reading on the ennegram forum the Type 6 is considered to be an Ambiverted type
That's odd, because I'm a Type 4 with a 3 wing... Type 3's are the "social" type, so I have the mysteriousness of the 4 and the bubbliness of the 3. XD

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
That's odd, because I'm a Type 4 with a 3 wing... Type 3's are the "social" type, so I have the mysteriousness of the 4 and the bubbliness of the 3. XD
yeah i'm pretty sure 4 is an I type and 3 is More E and those two clashng would land you"somewhere in the middle"

Reactions: ForsakenMe

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm a type 3w2 INTP... So.......... YES! I definitely have felt this way. My Introvert score is also only 63% and it seems like most of the INTPs on the board are like 85% or higher.

But honestly, I think my tertiary Ne is stronger than most ENTPs' primary Ne. Growing up my best friend was extremely extroverted and he was constantly dragging me places and I had to develop people skills in order to interact with him, seeing as he was the only person I truly bonded with growing up, and eventually it led to other close bonds.

·
11,928 Posts
But honestly, I think my tertiary Ne is stronger than most ENTPs' primary Ne. Growing up my best friend was extremely extroverted and he was constantly dragging me places and I had to develop people skills in order to interact with him, seeing as he was the only person I truly bonded with growing up, and eventually it led to other close bonds.
I think that's much closer to Fe than Ne.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I think that's much closer to Fe than Ne.
That I bonded closely with pretty much one individual who wasn't in my family until about age 11? Sounds more like introversion to me. Fe would have me out there feeling it up with everyone who comes by my way.

"Fe seeks social connections and creates harmonious interactions through polite, considerate, and appropriate behavior. Fe responds to the explicit (and implicit) wants of others, and may even create an internal conflict between the subject’s own needs and the desire to meet the needs of others."

This is NOT who I was at all. I quarreled non-stop with other kids and didn't give a damn about them or their opinion of me. I was best friends with one person since before we could even walk, all of my social interactions until about age 11 were pretty much through him, seeing as he was an extrovert.

·
11,928 Posts
Well, developing people skills, I would think...

·
Registered
749 Posts
I think I see the miscommunication. Fe, what little I had growing up kept me bonded to one person. To maintain that bond I needed to be around others since he was an extrovert. In order to stay entertaining to the people around the person I bonded with, I needed to develop my Ne because this friend of mine was actually quite popular and I found myself to be relatively popular as well even though I wound up not caring for a lot of the people around us which often times resulted in strife (lots of times spent in the principal's office with bloody noses). I just know from reading about the functions that I use Ne a lot, especially since I work with people constantly in my job.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts