Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should think that this is self-evident.

Before stating this obvious point with observations. I think, in light of its known history, this is the surprise.
So many transplanted German immigrants made up the population, when discussing what the official language should be. German was the top competition for English!
Imagine WW II, with a German speaking America!
Rounded off with roots of "Pilgrims' - Protestant work ethic".

The origins were a very strong SJ oriented culture.

After a couple hundred years; SP.

• WORDS Describing:
    independence, action packed, funloving, ready for anything, brash, pragmatic, tough
  • From a 6 day work week, to 5 days and lots of long week-ends ---- Party.
  • The highest good, and the most protected aspect of American laws concerning the individual rights; let me do what I want, and leave me alone.
  • Atheletes are the stars, and aspiration of this culture
  • The worst and yet most popular song is, "I did it my way"
  • The nations' leader, (authority figure) is not the most beloved and respected (their personal behavior is probably the cause of this, they did it to themselves)
  • Position in the world as "Policeman" (filled with SP)

This almost covers it all

Reactions: FearAndTrembling

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SP is a Keirsey grouping. SF and ST are MBTI groupings. America is an ST(+Fe) culture.
Good! I like!

Meaning from the MBTI translation, there are ST(P) and S(F)J. A mix of SP, and STILL SJ?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The origins were a very strong SJ oriented culture.

After a couple hundred years; SP.
  • WORDS Describing:
    independence, action packed, funloving, ready for anything, brash, pragmatic, tough
  • From a 6 day work week, to 5 days and lots of long week-ends ---- Party.
  • The highest good, and the most protected aspect of American laws concerning the individual rights; let me do what I want, and leave me alone.
  • Atheletes are the stars, and aspiration of this culture
  • The worst and yet most popular song is, "I did it my way"
  • The nations' leader, (authority figure) is not the most beloved and respected (their personal behavior is probably the cause of this, they did it to themselves)
  • Position in the world as "Policeman" (filled with SP)

This almost covers it all

I'm Australian, and this country has a culture that is clearly ESTP orientated. And has quite similar values and history to America. However I would argue that Australians are generally a little more independent. Our history with convicts rather than pilgrims means we never started from a humble religious background, and there has always been mistrust and contempt of authority. Australian culture has a deep seated contempt for authority, as well as a contempt for class division.

For example you can't get elected without showing that you're able to enjoy a beer with regular people.
Bob Hawke, widely regarded as the countries best Prime Minister:

And the current Prime Minister.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm Australian, and this country has a culture that is clearly ESTP orientated. And has quite similar values and history to America. However I would argue that Australians are generally a little more independent. Our history with convicts rather than pilgrims means we never started from a humble religious background, and there has always been mistrust and contempt of authority. Australian culture has a deep seated contempt for authority, as well as a contempt for class division.

For example you can't get elected without showing that you're able to enjoy a beer with regular people.
Bob Hawke, widely regarded as the countries best Prime Minister.
Good on ya cobber!
You gave me an unexpected bonus!
Thanks for the insight!

Tell Bruce, he's your uncle

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And probably coming in second, xNxP and last xNFJ.
I don't know my reasoning, shut up.
Literally, or figurativly to shut up?

As a SP Culture, it would mean, that the other types would buy in to those values.
Perhaps coloring their reactions to seem SPish

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I honestly feel the older generations are more of a xSxJ type.
Meaning until WW II, the SJ aspects still persisted?
Perhaps the Vietnam war/hippy generation redefined America?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I agree with Larry. America feels more SJ to me.

I don't see SPs integrated into what is socially esteemed as much as SJs are.

I feel like education especially can be annoying for an SP because it's set up to be so rote and theoretical and kind of pointless; and then in the workplaces, I feel like the SJs are more willing to just settle down and climb the corporate ladders that are key to success in our culture.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Gosh i see nf everywhere i go... too much feels and not nearly enough logic... But hey I'm just one Cali resident what do i know :rolleyes:
lol I'm from Cali too. I know a lot of NFs also.

I think Current American culture is a mix of types. There's the ESTP-like high-school/college partying, but when your older everyone expects you to be an SJ. Party like an ESxP, get to business like an SJ. A lot of NFs seem to thrive in academia. I think they kind of hoard a lot of the ideas of American youth right now. All the yelling and screaming activist stuff, fighting for minority rights. The poetry club at my community college is all about patriarchy, matriarchy, revolution, constitution this, prostitution that, oppression, my rights, their privileged, blah blah blah. I like poetry about nature and feelings and philosophy, the little quirks in life. I find their mentality kind of polarizing. That's just a random example by the way, just felt like sharing it. I think they have their hearts in the right place but they can be so god dang impractical and one sided it's annoying. NTs are becoming the new cool thing since the ice cube, particular nerdy NTPs. Superheroes are mainstream now, as well as comic book culture and it's following. Americans love their stupid little gadgets and respect techies a little more these days. Actually INTJs are becoming super badass also. Their always the insightful detective one step ahead of everybody else; the misunderstood helpers.

·
Plumcot
2,186 Posts
Meaning until WW II, the SJ aspects still persisted?
Perhaps the Vietnam war/hippy generation redefined America?
I used 'shut up' sarcastically, so don't worry :).
Honestly I feel like America can still be very ESTJ at times. Perhaps there is an equal balance of xxxP types? It's honestly too hard to pinpoint a whole country because everything is rapidly changing.

·
Banned
8,597 Posts
The origins are important. America is a country founded on not wanting to pay taxes. The type of people I know who hate paying taxes the most are ENTJ and ESTJ.

So the US is a ExTJ culture.

Proof, bruh.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts