Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I think of the US as a whole, without thinking of the smaller details, I think of:

• Love of freedom and free speech
  • Music
  • Movies
  • Sports
  • Guns and War
  • Economy
  • Crime
  • Health Care
  • Pride
  • Being outwardly expressive of opinions
Where do you think the deep sense of pride comes from?

Is it from the songs that are sung about America since knee high?

Do you think this pride is justified and do you think it comes from a desire to belong or a competitive mentality with other nations?

Why do you think some people (both inside and outside) the US find this easily expressed pride difficult to swallow?

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
I can't speak for everyone, but what annoys me is when Americans act like they are the only country that has free speech, music, entertainment, military, money etc.

In the north the extreme religious aspect is considered really humorous, and scary.

I don't know where the incessant pride comes from, but I guess it remains because it is so ingrained.

*standard disclaimer*
I know/realize that the above mentioned things do not apply to ALL Americans.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
One of the things that I notice about America as a foreigner is indeed your sense of pride. Out of all countries in the world I think you do a the most about your national image. "God bless America" says a lot too.

And I don't really mind, if you want to be proud of the country you're born in that's fine. It would make more sense being proud of the family you're in, though.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Having pride in or shame of where you are born or other uncontrollable factors like race, ethnicity, or gender makes no sense to me. I don't feel any great sense of loyalty to any of these things nor do they make me feel bad either. Sometimes I find myself clearing up misconceptions or stereotypes but I don't equate that to pride, just wanting an accurate idea to be presented.

·
Registered
770 Posts
When I think of America I think of:

- Loud religious people spouting hate
- Political corruption
- Endless wars/ war crimes
- Overly proud
- Often overly sensitive

I think the huge sense of pride comes from a lot of one sided stories about how america has saved/changed the world. For example americans seem to think they won World War 2 single handedly.

·
Registered
ENTP
3,549 Posts
Where do you think the deep sense of pride comes from?
Oh dear god. That sound you just heard was my skull popping from the enormous breadth of potential answers for just this question alone. How about a simple one that no one ever really seems to mention?

America is a big. ass. country. It's huge, really. Most people barely leave their region let alone the US itself. Not just that, it is a long way from anywhere else; meaning you have to have money to travel and get a broader sense of the world. Therefore, most of the populous is essentially immersed in American culture for every breath of their existence. I mean, it's a pain in the ass to even get a foreign television channel.

Wouldn't you expect someone being fed the message that their country is wonderful for their entire life to believe it?

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
Trust me madam, if you ask the average European here about the image of North-America, you will most likely dislike the answer. It is basically the opposite picture. Every week there is something to be read about the inhuman health care, lack of freedom of speech, the mindless American public, obesity, prison-torture, financial inequality etc. etc.

By this I do not imply anti-Americanism, but an active disassociation from Americans exercised by many Europeans.

Personally, I cannot speak of high regards about America either. Although I do not know America from the inside, I am damn well acquainted with its foreign policy and numerous political schandals that have resulted from it. The last major blow on America's international reputation is the VETO on Palestinian statehood, things like that won't make you popular.

I recommend you to visit other parts of the world by the way. It will help you broaden your picture if you're open-minded enough.

One of the things that I notice about America as a foreigner is indeed your sense of pride. Out of all countries in the world I think you do a the most about your national image. "God bless America" says a lot too.

And I don't really mind, if you want to be proud of the country you're born in that's fine. It would make more sense being proud of the family you're in, though.
Perhaps you could update me on how you experience the general stance on America from your perspective. This way we can triangulate our findings given our common country.

We zijn beide Nederlanders?

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
A lot of American pride comes from being sheltered and isolated from the rest of the world and not knowing what is going on. Americans have a strong sense of self identify which is admirable but they do lack a fundamental understanding of what their place is in the relation to the rest of the world. Most of it comes from being ignorant due to a shitty public education system. For the non-Americans: Did you know that the American education does not teach the world history of any other country but itself? It's as if the in the last 200 years nothing happen in the world except the emergence of USA.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
As a god-damn Amurican patriot, I dress in American flag jackets, pants, socks, underwear, and cowboy hats, which I buy at the local trading post. To run through my daily schedule to show you folks how true patriots should act: I wake up at three in the morning, salute the flag in my front yard, drive a red busted pick-up to the woods, and hunt squirrels for three hours.

After making some fine squirrel stew, I walk to the counter at McDonald's and remind the cashier that I'd like the veteran's discount on my coffee. She looks at me with admiration and hands me a steaming cup of American justice. Then I walk over to the local Hunting & Fishing store, where I talk politics with the local folk. We discuss important issues like those damn immigrants coming to our country. Then, I go home to my all-American wife, slap her butt, brush my kid's hair and say "How you doin' Junior," drink a Budweiser, and watch Fox news. When it's time for bed, me and the misses like to cuddle with our guns. God-damnit. I know what you're thinking. "Old Ed is too much of a manly American homegrown man to cuddle." I'll tell you what, you salty son of a gun. If you ever died for your country like I did, then you can cuddle any damn gun you want. After the wife and kids go to sleep, I like to think about the eagles that soar our great nation. Almost makes me tear up. Almost. There you have it, my life story of freedom and courage.

·
Registered
770 Posts
As a god-damn Amurican patriot, I dress in American flag jackets, pants, socks, underwear, and cowboy hats, which I buy at the local trading post. To run through my daily schedule to show you folks how true patriots should act: I wake up at three in the morning, salute the flag in my front yard, drive a red busted pick-up to the woods, and hunt squirrels for three hours.

After making some fine squirrel stew, I walk to the counter at McDonald's and remind the cashier that I'd like the veteran's discount on my coffee. She looks at me with admiration and hands me a steaming cup of American justice. Then I walk over to the local Hunting & Fishing store, where I talk politics with the local folk. We discuss important issues like those damn immigrants coming to our country. Then, I go home to my all-American wife, slap her butt, brush my kid's hair and say "How you doin' Junior," drink a Budweiser, and watch Fox news. When it's time for bed, me and the misses like to cuddle with our guns. God-damnit. I know what you're thinking. "Old Ed is too much of a manly American homegrown man to cuddle." I'll tell you what, you salty son of a gun. If you ever died for your country like I did, then you can cuddle any damn gun you want. After the wife and kids go to sleep, I like to think about the eagles that soar our great nation. Almost makes me tear up. Almost. There you have it, my life story of freedom and courage.
That was painful to read x_x

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'm American and my country annoys me. We take pride in our "many freedoms", but there are freedoms that other countries have that are the same and even more. A lot of the time we can be huge hypocrites, yes other countries can be too, and it really annoys me. I don't consider my country to be that great, it's alright. It's better than living in some countries, but there's countries where I'd rather live there than here.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

You make me damn proud boy.:crying:

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
America pride stems from our heritage of how and why the country was founded. Yes we have our problems and I'm not please with the current political climate and the narrow mindedness of some of our citizens. And yet I'm so damn glad if not proud that I was born an American. The middle east is such a wonderful place of freedom, and Europe has conveniently forgotten why they don't all speak German. And as for the commit about lack of freedom of speech in the USA, we invented it.

I'm no flag waving, we can do no wrong and bomb the the rest of the world to hell patriot, but other than Doctor Who and a few other bright spots on the other side of the pond we ain't got it so bad.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts

·
Registered
INTP
1,738 Posts
I don't really get why be "proud" of where you're born in or anything else about how you were born. I like feelings of pride to be reserved for your own personal achievements or you're proud of someone you know because you're happy for their achievements. Being proud of things I didn't choose or work hard for? Meh...

A lot of American pride comes from being sheltered and isolated from the rest of the world and not knowing what is going on. Americans have a strong sense of self identify which is admirable but they do lack a fundamental understanding of what their place is in the relation to the rest of the world. Most of it comes from being ignorant due to a shitty public education system. For the non-Americans: Did you know that the American education does not teach the world history of any other country but itself? It's as if the in the last 200 years nothing happen in the world except the emergence of USA.
What?! I live in the US and had to take more history classes about the rest of the world than I did about US history. I moved around a lot and had world history classes in three different school districts and in homeschool... then "history of western art" was virtually all European. I don't know where you got this information but I certainly had world history classes -_-

Anyways, threads like these make me feel out-of-place somehow, probably since I really hate it when people say "Americans" as if everyone is the same and I don't really see what people talk about in these threads when I'm out wandering around my town. This country is huge, multicultural and diverse in history, including many types of immigrants like my own family. Many different types of people live here... so what exactly is an "American"? Several people mention the government's foreign policies and whatever, but politicians are such a small percentage of our population and can't really represent the people. Education is mentioned but there isn't actually a nationwide curriculum for schools; it's decided by the specific school districts so you can't really make sweeping generalizations about what goes on in every school nationwide. The reason for this IS because the country is really diverse and each school district can teach to their local and regional values as needed. For example, I live in an area that's big on environmentalism, so it was pushed a lot in my classes about natural science, conservation of natural resources, energy efficiency and other stuff along those lines. When I lived in a city that was big on medicine, there was a lot more focus on health classes. When I lived in a town with a major timber industry, part of the curriculum was learning how to do maintenance on chainsaws and how to use them. In another, there are high school rifle skills classes because hunting is a big part of the culture there. Every town I lived in had its own personality with different sorts of people living in it. I only ever lived in rural Pacific Northwest, though, and I find those who are so willing to group all the people of the US together as one so easily tend to be from the more crowded and urban eastern states. I think the "pride" out where I live is more about pride in being independent and separate from the eastern US. Not in a separist sort of way, though, but a pride in knowing nature better than those in the cities and knowing how to "rough it". To be honest, most of the people I meet in real life refer to themselves based on the state they live in or the region of the state ((like in my state, where there's animosity between certain regions)) before they refer to themselves as "Americans". The "national news" on TV is somewhat foreign here... since it's so far away on the east coast and we're rather detached from it as a result.

I think a lot of foreigners want to believe Americans are all alike since people in most other countries, let's face it, are from SMALL countries and don't really have a good frame of reference for how big the US really is and how diverse the people are. In small countries, there's more similarities between the people of different regions than in a geographically larger one ((I'm not saying there AREN'T differences between say, an Englishman and a Scotsman, but that there are less "pockets" of types of people in a smaller country)).

But maybe I am just speaking of the largely forgotten corners of America, all because that is where I grew up. One of my favorite things about living here is being able to walk in a wild landscape for miles and never see another person, or even drive for 100 miles and never hit traffic. I lived in a city once but it might not even be considered a "city" to some since the tallest buildings wouldn't even qualify to be small skyscrapers. I've seen the stuff people talk about in threads about "Americans" on TV or YouTube, but not so much in person, so I wonder how real it is or if it's just more media sensationalism. Yes, there are religious people, but I have not met the religious whackjobs and religious people exist in any country. Yes, there are those who are ignorant of foreign places, but I've met more foreigners online than locals in real life who suck at world geography. An online 20-something-year-old friend of mine in the UK can't even name all four oceans and seven continents, while I couldn't even get out of seventh grade without knowing every African country. From where I'm sitting, the Americans I know in the schools I had to go to know more about places outside the US than what people give Americans credit for :/ and it's a really frustrating stereotype. Maybe it's true for some other region ((I can't speak for how other parts of the US deal with things)) but certainly not all of it. I think a lot of people just buy into the "stupid American" YouTube videos too easily ((there will always be people dumber than the rest in any population; ANY population, and the ones who give correct answers can easily be edited out of videos)) and want to believe that there is some universal truth to how Americans think and behave everywhere.

I'd like to believe that the American pride thing stems from being a united but diverse group of individuals who live together peacefully. I had classmates who were immigrants from the Middle East and were so happy to live in a country where they don't have to worry about being blown to bits all because they were of a different denomination of Islam ((and in one town I lived near, two temples belonging to two Muslim groups that hate each other in their home country were able to be built ON THE SAME STREET and have no conflicts. These people are so happy to practice their religion IN PEACE here)). It's stuff like this that make me think it was a good choice of my family to come to the US.

But meh, I always seem to be so far away from everyone else when it comes to threads online about things like this. Everyone wants to be a cynic because putting down America is "cool".

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
Jesus christ, man. I'm pretty sure I had to take several classes whose names were actually "World History."

Yeah, I remember those classes. "World history" where I learned about nothing but American history with some general history about the rest of the world.

And by general history, I mean "So yeah, they built this big ass wall in china, now back to America".

·
Registered
INTP
1,738 Posts
Except its literally their JOB to represent the population.
It is their job, but how many do it well? And the people don't always get the best choices of who to vote for so you get stuck with having to choose between "meh" and "ugh".

Reactions: Andorem
1 - 20 of 62 Posts